Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv 3 Not So Common Movie Recommendations

Party Cannon

I haven't seen any of these. Cool! Harry Brown - I am a Michael Caine fan so sounds good. That's My Boy - eeeek. Very trepidations about Adam Sandler's stuff. God Bless Amerika - Typo? Couldn't find it on IMDB.com.

could be a typo, i'll see if it is.

yup turns out it is, the k in amerika should have been a c, sorry about that.

i'll get you a link to the imdb page

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1912398/

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

1. Heavenly Creatures

2. Suicide Room

3. The Secret of Nimh

All amazing, all profound, all worth checking out, all on Netflix. I would give plot summaries but It's better to go into them with no expectations

Edited by DITR
  • Brohoof 2

I watched the first 10 minutes of 2001: A Space Odyssey and was violently disappointed.

Yeah... you gotta get past the beginning bit. It picks up quite a bit after that whole "Dawn of Man" deal. The book was still much better than the movie, of course. You don't get the explanations of everything in the movie like you do in the book, so it's quite a bit harder to follow. Maybe I just liked it because I kinda knew what was goin' down before I watched it.

Anyway, glad I could be of assistance. Always good to help a fellow movie-lover.

• Brohoof 1

Quest for Camelot

This movie is beautifully animated and is great for an audience of all ages. AND Lauren Faust had z hand in this movie. One of my Top Ten favorites.

It should be noted that Lauren Faust hated working on this film:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=13051478140A91478000&page=0

My own recommendations?

Taegukgi:  The Brotherhood of War.  It's a Korean movie, about two brothers who are drafted into the Korean War.  The elder brother, goes on these crazy, extremely risky missions because if he's decorated enough, he will be able to send his brother home.  But it's not a "rah-rah- go-get 'em" war movie, and is harrowing in its portrayal of the extreme brutality on both sides of the conflict.  Not for the squeamish. 

Grave of the Fireflies:  Another powerful anti-war film, but is much, much more quiet and meditative, and very depressing.  It's not live action, but is actually an anime from Studio Ghibli, the same company that produces the works of Hayao Miyazaki.  It's not about soldiers, but is about two young children, a 13 year old boy and his 5 year old sister, as they have to deal with growing up in the middle of World War II Japan.  If you put any stock in critics, it should be noted that Roger Ebert considers this one of the greatest war movies ever made.

And for something completely different...

This Is Spinal Tap.  It's a 1983 "mockumentary" (a fiction comedy filmed in the style of a documentary) about a has-been hair metal band called Spinal Tap, and following their exploits through backstage drama, on stage prop failures, all-black album covers (it's literally just a plain black sleeve), and a littany of dead drummers.  It's probably my favorite comedy of all time, and it's an absolute favorite in the rock and roll community. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Luna Papa 1999  - The unborn child of Mamlakat (Khamatova) is telling her story. She is 17, beautiful and vivacious, and dreaming secretly of becoming an actress. She lives with her father and brother (Bleibtreu) in a small village in Central Asia

The story opf the weeing camel 2003 - When a Mongolian nomadic family's newest camel colt is rejected by its mother, a musician is needed for a ritual to change her mind.

Edited by Ulrik Raben
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

1. The Man from Earth (2007): I don't want to spoil it, but it is a very thought provoking film, which is written and performed brilliantly. Don't be expecting much action though because it all takes place in one person's house. It's mostly dialogue.

2. Reefer Madness (1937): This is a film to teach kids the "horrors" of marijuana from the 1930s. It is so bad that it is passed around today as a comedy. They even made a hilarious musical about it.

3. Dahmer (2002): This is one of the few horror films that actually freaked me out a little. It tells the story of Jeffery Dahmer in great detail. No, it is not a documentary, but rather a drama/horror film based on real events. Jeremy Renner (Hawk Eye from The Avengers) plays Dahmer.

1. American History X It's a great movie but the subject/plot is kind of hard to deal with, especially if someone is really sensitive to radical ideologies.

The Secret of Nimh

I also second both of these suggestions.

I also just remembered to recommend my all-time favorite film, Pan's Labyrinth. It's all in Spanish, but it's an amazing film.

Edited by Mellon Collie
  • Brohoof 1

Quo Vadis (1951): Great movie portraying Nero as a villain against the Roman people, and especially the early Christians. The colours were so vivid for its time and the props and costumes were so wonderfully sewn into place.

Murder Most Foul (1964) Great Miss Marple mystery movie. I loved how Miss Marple was portrayed by Margaret Rutherford. She fits that role so well.

The Court Jester (1956) Hilariously corny movie. Watch it some time. It epitomizes how corny old movies can get, but it's still funny!

• Brohoof 1

• 8 years later...
(edited)

1. Seven Samurai (1954) - Possibly the greatest movie ever made. It’s 3 and a half hours long and not a second of that time is wasted.

2. Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972) - A story of obsession and madness as Spanish conquistadors set out on a doomed search for the lost city of gold.

3. A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) - A genuinely chilling and unsettling Korean horror building up to a terrific twist ending.

Edited by Sonic Shimmer

• 2 weeks later...

Far And Away (1992). One of my all-time favorites. Vastly underappreciated but loaded with great writing, directing, acting and incredibly engrossing to watch. Moviemaking at its finest.

The Phantom (1996). Another sleeper that made almost nothing at the box office. It’s cheesy but it’s really good cheesiness! It has a lot more going for it than meets the eye.

Seven Years In Tibet (1997). A great movie overshadowed by far lesser ones like Kundun, released the same year. This is Brad Pitt’s best movie and a true undiscovered gem. 

My recommendations would be:

Delicatessen (1991) - a weird, ut funny movie. It's black comedy though, maybe not for everyone.

The City of Lost Children (1995) - I really like the atmosphere and style in this movie. Directed by the same people as the previous one.

Metropolis (1927) - it is interesting to me, though some people may not like that it's silent. Pretty much one of the original SciFi movies, al tha later ones copy parts of it.