Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is lying wrong?

Lunatic

you make it sound that lying is always a selfish act. i disagre on that. you can defenently lie for someone else's good.

I try not to lie unless it's absolutely necessary.

Generally speaking lying is wrong and does not usually bring any true "good" result. It might bring a selfish result that satisfies you...but that is not good. If I lie...I feel guilty about it.

I'd much prefer to tell the truth or if I really don't want to share an answer then I'll avoid the question.

I implied there are situations in which it may be the best option.

no i didnt see my brother eat your chocolate mom.

I do hope that is not a serious example.

I do hope that is not a serious example.

well yes it is. its an example of lying for someone else. its done not out of selfish needs.

It depends on the situation. I think it's definately good not to tell everything that comes to your mind because people who are honest in that kind of way are mostly jerks

thats what im trying to say. when are you beeing a jerk and when are you just beeing honest?

well yes it is. its an example of lying for someone else. its done not out of selfish needs.

Lying to cover up for someone for something as silly as the example you gave is immature and wrong. Edited by Lady Rarity Pony

Lying to cover up for someone for something as silly as the example you gave is immature and wrong.

so you might think so wile the easyest examples can be the best.

no dad my brother didnt make that scratch on your car wile he was driving. i think someone else might bumbed against it.

there the same example only more mature. that better?

thats what im trying to say. when are you beeing a jerk and when are you just beeing honest?

You are a jerk when you say what you think without caring about the other persons feelings, not even trying to search for better words.

f.e. "Your haircut looks shit"

Also if you know that the other person is bothered by a topic, it's better to stay quiet.

f.e. "Well your girlfriend left you but I think she was ugly anyways"

Which leads to accepting and tolerating the opinions of the others

You are a jerk when you say what you think without caring about the other persons feelings, not even trying to search for better words.

f.e. "Your haircut looks shit"

Also if you know that the other person is bothered by a topic, it's better to stay quiet.

f.e. "Well your girlfriend left you but I think she was ugly anyways"

Which leads to accepting and tolerating the opinions of the others

and what if i say?

i dont like your new haircut. i think you looked better with longer hair.

im really sorry about your girlfriend. but your better off without her.

thats telling the truth without beeing a jerk.

• Brohoof 1

so you might think so wile the easyest examples can be the best.

no dad my brother didnt make that scratch on your car wile he was driving. i think someone else might bumbed against it.

there the same example only more mature. that better?

Don't take this the wrong way...but what you just wrote is kinda illegible.

You seem to be advocating to lie to your own parents just to avoid the consequences of your actions. That's a rather immature thing to do don't ya think?

and what if i say?

i dont like your new haircut. i think you looked better with longer hair.

im really sorry about your girlfriend. but your better off without her.

thats telling the truth without beeing a jerk.

Yep that's being honest in a good way.

Don't take this the wrong way...but what you just wrote is kinda illegible.

You seem to be advocating to lie to your own parents just to avoid the consequences of your actions. That's a rather immature thing to do don't ya think?

no im lying for the coniquences for the actions of my parents towards my brother. this can be used in more ways.

no im lying for the coniquences for the actions of my parents towards my brother. this can be used in more ways.

You're lying to your parents to cover up for the actions your brother took? When he very well deserves to face the consequences?

You do realize how immature that sounds?

I tend to lie the most about the most insignificant details. Or if it's to keep a secret.

Here's a really good scenario from just last week:

My folks and I had two vehicles that are surpassing 12 years old, and it was discovered that one of them cost us more to repair than what we can afford. Final decision was to trade it in for a new one, but my younger brother was completely oblivious to that.

Actually, my folks and I decided to keep the new car thing a surprise, and lie to my brother that the old car we had was in the shop for repairs.

End of story: My brother thought the new car was a rental.

Would I say it's wrong to lie if the one thing you're covering up is a surprise or something that's completely insignificant? Not at all. Most other circumstances? Not so much. (I try to look at the practical applications of something that would be otherwise morally wrong, or in this case, breaks Commandment 9.)

Supposed you were at a store and you told your friend you were going to the electronics. You could lie about that and go to the bathroom instead, but also go to the electronics right afterwards.

Another scenario, this time from a medical show:

A doctor was treating a patient, but was pronounced dead. Under pressure, he lies to the family and says that they're doing all they can to revive the patient. He later comes clean and says the patient just died, but never admitted the lie.

End of story: Patient un-died later on.

Is that one way to rectify a lie? Maybe... Though it does, arguably, reveals the truth of the situation.

Final scenario:

Back in senior year of high school, there was this one really annoying classmate. What do I do to get him off my back? Lie. It's to play with his brain. Mwahahaha!!!

Classmate: What would God do?

Me: I'm an atheist.

Other classmate (whom I was fully acquainted with): Alright!

OK, that one was just pure evil. Arguably, it would lead to wrong impressions, but nothing else happened since that event.

• Brohoof 1

Posted Image

Now then, lies are everyone's favorite past time.

Honesty of lie is more important than the severity of the lie. And by that I mean people who are lying to themselves and then lying to others are the dangerous sort as they can go to insane length to sustain their illusion. This kind of behavior influences everyone around them and also has a habit of being persistent and willfully ignorant of the facts or even by reality itself busting them on the lie.

Examples of lie that is being told to oneself are among many things a man who keeps telling himself he loves his wife, but same time he is abusing her, feeling resentful at the very notions of her being possibly unfaithful and is afraid of losing her, because he has lied to himself that he is just doing the abuse to protect his wife from herself, putting her in line and that when he loses his temper he can't help it. This kind of lie he tells to himself to excuse his own dependence of her and to justify emotional blackmail while being nothing more then self serving jerk who has basically just enslaved a woman. And the thing is, he doesn't love that said woman, he only feels possessive obsession to own her.

Another example is religion. People keep telling themselves that Deity comforts them and watches over them, they do this just to fit in to the society of faithful people. These morons are the sort who become extremists in their behavior as they substitute comfort and trust with zeal and extreme opinions while not having half the honest devotion of a moderate believer who is okay with other opinions too in their lives. These who lie to themselves fear being detected in their weakness of faith so they go around acting like "good pious men" and rubbing their own personal faith in other peoples face, forcing it on others and acting horribly offended at any opposing or challenging views. These people are sadly common and pollute many peoples idea and opinion of religion. I am an atheist, but I have nothing against personal faith and beliefs, people can be as wrong or deluded or what ever as they want and I don't mind, but when they try to force that same stuff down the throat of entire society that is where it stops being religion and becomes one mans crusade against his own fear of being thought as "weak in faith". also same people are the ones who "lose their faith" the moment their lives go down the toilet but are all "you gotta have faith!" when other peoples lives are in the toilet so they can excuse themselves not doing a damn to help the people down in the bumps.

Whereas lie told honestly is different. A lie told when you tell it knowing you tell it just to avoid a sea of shit falling on you is a lie you can back down from easily, apologize and move on. Lies like "That dress doesn't look bad on you" and "he's the murderer, not me!" are lies people tell selfishly and out of selfish causes, So they feel bad about them, they know that what they did was wrong and therefore at least have the shame of lying.

So lies are inevitable, wrong or not, they happen and they are always wrong to someone, therefore only REAL measure of lie's morality is the severity.This severity is decided by either the person telling the lie, believes in his or hers own lie. Edited by Pencils
  • Brohoof 3

Posted Image

Now then, lies are everyone's favorite past time.

Honesty of lie is more important than the severity of the lie. And by that I mean people who are lying to themselves and then lying to others are the dangerous sort as they can go to insane length to sustain their illusion. This kind of behavior influences everyone around them and also has a habit of being persistent and willfully ignorant of the facts or even by reality itself busting them on the lie.

Examples of lie that is being told to oneself are among many things a man who keeps telling himself he loves his wife, but same time he is abusing her, feeling resentful at the very notions of her being possibly unfaithful and is afraid of losing her, because he has lied to himself that he is just doing the abuse to protect his wife from herself, putting her in line and that when he loses his temper he can't help it. This kind of lie he tells to himself to excuse his own dependence of her and to justify emotional blackmail while being nothing more then self serving jerk who has basically just enslaved a woman. And the thing is, he doesn't love that said woman, he only feels possessive obsession to own her.

Another example is religion. People keep telling themselves that Deity comforts them and watches over them, they do this just to fit in to the society of faithful people. These morons are the sort who become extremists in their behavior as they substitute comfort and trust with zeal and extreme opinions while not having half the honest devotion of a moderate believer who is okay with other opinions too in their lives. These who lie to themselves fear being detected in their weakness of faith so they go around acting like "good pious men" and rubbing their own personal faith in other peoples face, forcing it on others and acting horribly offended at any opposing or challenging views. These people are sadly common and pollute many peoples idea and opinion of religion. I am an atheist, but I have nothing against personal faith and beliefs, people can be as wrong or deluded or what ever as they want and I don't mind, but when they try to force that same stuff down the throat of entire society that is where it stops being religion and becomes one mans crusade against his own fear of being thought as "weak in faith". also same people are the ones who "lose their faith" the moment their lives go down the toilet but are all "you gotta have faith!" when other peoples lives are in the toilet so they can excuse themselves not doing a damn to help the people down in the bumps.

Whereas lie told honestly is different. A lie told when you tell it knowing you tell it just to avoid a sea of shit falling on you is a lie you can back down from easily, apologize and move on. Lies like "That dress doesn't look bad on you" and "he's the murderer, not me!" are lies people tell selfishly and out of selfish causes, So they feel bad about them, they know that what they did was wrong and therefore at least have the shame of lying.

So lies are inevitable, wrong or not, they happen and they are always wrong to someone, therefore only REAL measure of lie's morality is the severity.This severity is decided by either the person telling the lie, believes in his or hers own lie.

i dont know if you wrote this all by yourself. but if you did this thank you greatly for taking your time in this comment.

its verry helpfull :)

i dont know if you wrote this all by yourself. but if you did this thank you greatly for taking your time in this comment.

its verry helpfull :)

I did write it myself. If I had quoted a text I would have provided citations. :mellow:

• Brohoof 2

A lie is a tool. Like a tool, it can be used for good causes and bad causes. You could use a hammer to build a house for the homeless or to knock someone out and steal their wallet. The hammer is not right or wrong in either case. The same is true of lies, they aren't right or wrong.

I try not to lie as much as I did.

It just makes a bigger lie, and that lie makes a bigger life, and then a bigger lie.

In the end, it is a clusterfuck of lies.

+1

Princess Celestia is hearing every lie. >.>

Also, some lying is good.

I think pregger women looks cute :>

I wanna feel it with my head : o

I never think lying is good. Ever. The fact is, reality is perfectly consistent, lies on the other hand, aren't. They're an abomination to reality, IMO. Inconsistency will almost always win out if you try to keep up a big lie, and it will grow into a network of lies that only leads to confusion and more lies. People depend on the truth to make correct decisions, you tell a lie, you're not just lying to that person making that one decision, but anyone they tell, and anyone those people tell, and any decisions any of them make in regards to any of those things.

Reality is very complicated, and things have a hard enough time going smoothly when everyone is honest. Your extended social circle is like a big machine that barely works as it is, throwing a wrench into it is never a good thing.

Think of this: When your wife asks: "Do you still think I look attractive?", she's not asking "Do you still think I look attractive?", it's not that she's lying, it's her feminine way of communicating "Do you still value me even though I despise how I look and I don't think I'm attractive?", and the answer is, of course, YES! I can imagine Pencils might say I'm lying to myself, but the truth is the heart of the message really is "Do you still value me even though I despise how I look and I don't think I'm attractive?"

...I have nothing against personal faith and beliefs, people can be as wrong or deluded or what ever as they want and I don't mind, but when they try to force that same stuff down the throat of entire society that is where it stops being religion and becomes one mans crusade against his own fear of being thought as "weak in faith". ...

Oh, boy. I agree with everything else but this little snippet.

Okay, personally, even though I don't put out much, I'm pretty much a zealot within my own mind. But since religion is such a large topic of contention, I won't argue about it (Although I would gladly discuss, It would be better to say nothing than to stir anger and kill love where certainly nothing will come of it.), rather I'll say two things

1) I want to share my beliefs, because they're like a delicious fruit I've found; and if you find something wonderful you love, like a hobby, interest, a cafe that makes a delicious, monsterously good hot chocolate, don't we want to share? Except this isn't just a hobby or delicious food, this is about the meaning of life, purpose in life, etc, the most important stuff in life. (and of course there are emotional reasons for believing. But that doesn't mean the beliefs are based on that emotion. You could as easily oppose that viewpoint as you could say that true objectivity is impossible.)

2) We don't state opinions as though they were obvious fact everyone had ought to know. It comes off as kinda... Well, in the words of the ever-wise xkcd:

Posted Image

Edited by EASA - Dr. Braun

Oh, boy. I agree with everything else but this little snippet.

Okay, personally, even though I don't put out much, I'm pretty much a zealot within my own mind. But since religion is such a large topic of contention, I won't argue about it (Although I would gladly discuss, It would be better to say nothing than to stir anger and kill love where certainly nothing will come of it.), rather I'll say two things

1) I want to share my beliefs, because they're like a delicious fruit I've found; and if you find something wonderful you love, like a hobby, interest, a cafe that makes a delicious, monsterously good hot chocolate, don't we want to share? Except this isn't just a hobby or delicious food, this is about the meaning of life, purpose in life, etc, the most important stuff in life. (and of course there are emotional reasons for believing. But that doesn't mean the beliefs are based on that emotion. You could as easily oppose that viewpoint as you could say that true objectivity is impossible.)

2) We don't state opinions as though they were obvious fact everyone had ought to know. It comes off as kinda... Well, in the words of the ever-wise xkcd:

I was speaking of subjective angle of what I see correct or incorrect information concerning deities, and to me, people who believe in one are wrong, I hope that clears the issue for you. After all, I have hard testable evidence of my stance but none for the counterargument. I may enjoy fantasy and fiction but I am far from accepting it as reality, and to me religions of the world, all of them, even the one denomination of the one religion you have chosen to adhere to are fiction. I suspect you would not object me saying Zeus or Wotan are bullshit, I just call bullshit on one deity more than you ;)

This however was not a religious discussion but one concerning lies so I drop this issue here now that I have clarified my stance.

Edited by Pencils