Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Do you smoke ?

Belgian&Brony

I came to this thread fully expecting it to be full of "Yep, I smoke all the time. It's *insert whatever reason here* and there's nothing wrong with it" 

But, once again bronies, you have surprised me. Rather pleasantly, might I add. It's nice to see so many people actually understand what smoking does, and that they don't all think it's something that you need to do to "fit in." It's reassuring for me, really. 

To answer the original question, No, I do not smoke. Have I ever had thoughts about it? I have wondered from time to time what it would be like, and I have been tempted to try on one occasion, but I have never actually smoked, and I can honestly say I don't believe I ever will. I've gone through 18 years without it, why can't I go through another? 

As for smoking being badass...no. 

The only person who has ever looked good smoking in my opinion is probably John Marston from Read Dead Redemption - a fictional character who was no doubt created with that aspect in mind. Then again John Marston is a badass regardless of if he smokes or not...

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

For the ones they ask why I say smoking is badass

Its badass because you need very much courage to do it

Not much people have the courage to risk their own lives for feeling good

Risking your life for feeling good means that you are not scared of death

Being not scared of death is badass (in my strange opinions atleast)

Actually, a lot of people smoke because they want to look cool in front of their peers, or they feel like they want to be rebellious in front of their parents. Neither of those really say "badass."

Badass is more like bungee jumping from a skyscraper. But that depends on the situation - because bungee jumping from a skyscraper might just be dumbass instead.

I do not smoke, and I never have. But I can tell you that I know at least a dozen people who used to smoke cigarettes regularly, but they quit because they did not want to get lung cancer, nor did they want to depend on nicotine to make themselves calm or happy.

I do not judge smokers or complain about the smell or anything like that. I think that a lot of the second-hand smoke claims are blown out of proportion. The recent PSAs where they compare pretty equally disgusting things bothers me to no end because there is NO WAY that breathing in a little bit of smoke is the same thing as inhaling an entire stick of it. A better commercial would be, "Which is less disgusting, licking a cat, or shaving its fur and swallowing it?"

At any rate, not smoking was a decision that I made a long time ago when I knew that I didn't want to smoke so that I could sing better. Honestly, I'm glad that I was mature enough to make a decision like that. I feel like most young people say, "Yeah, whatever, I won't smoke" and then they change their minds later. But I was convicted that there was no reason for me to smoke, and no benefit for me, so I don't do it.

A cigar or a pipe once in a while does not have any damaging effects. The problem with cigarettes is the nicotine, which is addictive. Smoking one a week, or only smoking while you're on vacation, or whatever, is not that bad either, but you have to be careful.

And that is my opinion on smoking, in case anyone was interested.

Edited by RockinRarity
  • Brohoof 1

I came to this thread fully expecting it to be full of "Yep, I smoke all the time. It's *insert whatever reason here* and there's nothing wrong with it" 

But, once again bronies, you have surprised me. Rather pleasantly, might I add. It's nice to see so many people actually understand what smoking does, and that they don't all think it's something that you need to do to "fit in." It's reassuring for me, really. 

To answer the original question, No, I do not smoke. Have I ever had thoughts about it? I have wondered from time to time what it would be like, and I have been tempted to try on one occasion, but I have never actually smoked, and I can honestly say I don't believe I ever will. I've gone through 18 years without it, why can't I go through another? 

As for smoking being badass...no. 

The only person who has ever looked good smoking in my opinion is probably John Marston from Read Dead Redemption - a fictional character who was no doubt created with that aspect in mind. Then again John Marston is a badass regardless of if he smokes or not...

Please don't EVER try it.  It's so... if you don't know what you're missing you will have nothing to crave.  Like... I'm really ashamed of this story, but I'm going to tell it just so you'll know what can happen and never TOUCH IT.  I had a girlfriend who didn't smoke, for the first year or so of our relationship she was like "What's it like?  I'd never get hooked I'm just so curious what the big deal is, does it really feel that good?"  I kept going "at first it gives you a buzz for like 5 minutes and calms you down but that goes away, it's really nothing special, just something I start freaking out now if I don't have"  After a while she was like "I just want to try ONE, just to see, I won't touch it after that I promise"  I was super reluctant, but I was like "ok you can share this one with me but that's it"  And she did and she was like "oh wow that's interesting, kind of makes me dizzy"  I was like "yeah that's all it does, now you know, don't do it again.  

But that was enough to spark this "I can do it very seldomly" mindset in her, she started off just bumming one off of other people when she'd drink at parties, this turned into her bumming them at work when she'd had a really stressful day, it slowly progressed until now to this day she's a full fledged smoker.  Just do not, I repeat, DO NOT let that curiosity cause even ONE PUFF PLEAAAASE.  I will give you all the cotton candy in pinky pie's possession if you take me seriously mmkayyyy? MMMKAY!

Actually, a lot of people smoke because they want to look cool in front of their peers, or they feel like they want to be rebellious in front of their parents. Neither of those really say "badass."

Badass is more like bungee jumping from a skyscraper. But that depends on the situation - because bungee jumping from a skyscraper might just be dumbass instead.

I do not smoke, and I never have. But I can tell you that I know at least a dozen people who used to smoke cigarettes regularly, but they quit because they did not want to get lung cancer, nor did they want to depend on nicotine to make themselves calm or happy.

I do not judge smokers or complain about the smell or anything like that. I think that a lot of the second-hand smoke claims are blown out of proportion. The recent PSAs where they compare pretty equally disgusting things bothers me to no end because there is NO WAY that breathing in a little bit of smoke is the same thing as inhaling an entire stick of it. A better commercial would be, "Which is less disgusting, licking a cat, or shaving its fur and swallowing it?"

At any rate, not smoking was a decision that I made a long time ago when I knew that I didn't want to smoke so that I could sing better. Honestly, I'm glad that I was mature enough to make a decision like that. I feel like most young people say, "Yeah, whatever, I won't smoke" and then they change their minds later. But I was convicted that there was no reason for me to smoke, and no benefit for me, so I don't do it.

A cigar or a pipe once in a while does not have any damaging effects. The problem with cigarettes is the nicotine, which is addictive. Smoking one a week, or only smoking while you're on vacation, or whatever, is not that bad either, but you have to be careful.

And that is my opinion on smoking, in case anyone was interested.

trust me, I was not being "courageous" when I started smoking.  It takes courage to NOT start smoking, I was being easily influenced and going with the crowd.  If anything it was cowardly.  And I thank you for not judging people who smoke too harshly, it's soooo infuriating when people are like "ew!  If you know it's bad for you why don't you just quit!"  I'm like "Ew!  If you know you look like a douche right now why do you do it!"  lol

• Brohoof 2

I have to say that while this thread is extremely polarized, I do not agree with either side.

Smoking doesn't make you cool (duh). Not smoking doesn't make you cool. Being Rainbow Dash DOES make you cool. Make sense? Good.

Smoking isn't "retarded," "for losers," or something that instantly makes you a stupid, self indulgent pig. It's something that people may turn to for relaxation, as an escape, because of peer pressure, or for any number of other reasons. That doesn't make it smart, but it is very obvious that there are a myriad of motivations behind smoking.

Overdoing it (several cigs or even a pack a day) is clearly detrimental to a person's health. And it's very easy to get to that point once you start out. Yes, it can negatively affect family members and friends, too. But smoking a cigarette or cigar once in a while is not some abominable practice that someone should be shunned for.

With that said, I smoke cigars on occasion. Why? Well, obviously I think it makes me cool. 

No.

I have a cigar once in a while because it's relaxing, the flavor of the tobacco appeals to me, and it is not a habit or addiction. I've never tried cigarettes because they ARE very addictive, and I'm prone to overdo stuff like that. (Cigars are much less addictive because you don't inhale... the roof of the mouth absorbs FAR less nicotine than your lungs.)

I enjoy a cigar sometimes. I don't believe there's anything wrong with that. But there is something wrong with being a slave to nicotine. Something I do not want to become. So, I'm cautious about it. Simple as that.

• Brohoof 1

I have to say that while this thread is extremely polarized, I do not agree with either side.

Smoking doesn't make you cool (duh). Not smoking doesn't make you cool. Being Rainbow Dash DOES make you cool. Make sense? Good.

Smoking isn't "retarded," "for losers," or something that instantly makes you a stupid, self indulgent pig. It's something that people may turn to for relaxation, as an escape, because of peer pressure, or for any number of other reasons. That doesn't make it smart, but it is very obvious that there are a myriad of motivations behind smoking.

Overdoing it (several cigs or even a pack a day) is clearly detrimental to a person's health. And it's very easy to get to that point once you start out. Yes, it can negatively affect family members and friends, too. But smoking a cigarette or cigar once in a while is not some abominable practice that someone should be shunned for.

With that said, I smoke cigars on occasion. Why? Well, obviously I think it makes me cool. 

No.

I have a cigar once in a while because it's relaxing, the flavor of the tobacco appeals to me, and it is not a habit or addiction. I've never tried cigarettes because they ARE very addictive, and I'm prone to overdo stuff like that. (Cigars are much less addictive because you don't inhale... the roof of the mouth absorbs FAR less nicotine than your lungs.)

I enjoy a cigar sometimes. I don't believe there's anything wrong with that. But there is something wrong with being a slave to nicotine. Something I do not want to become. So, I'm cautious about it. Simple as that.

I agree but I don't think you read the whole thread, I didn't either so I understand it's alot to read but, this was my stance on the matter and a few other people's too.  You agreed with the middle siiiideeee hehehehehe if there was such a thing.  Ok where is the "let's act stupid and laugh alot" section.  I keep finding myself in serious discussions LOL

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I really, really like your whole post, but I just wanted to comment on this bit.

I feel like the people who say that smoking is retarded, for losers, etc, don't know anyone who smokes regularly, or they are not friends with anyone who smokes.

I know lots and lots of people who smoke. I wish that they didn't. But they do, and I can't do anything to change that. If they want to change, then they can make that decision on their own, and if they ask for it, I can give them my support if they need it. These people are not bad people for smoking. They have bad habits, as do the rest of us. Sure, we don't smoke, but do we eat processed foods on a regular basis? Do we wash our hands before we eat? Do we drive faster than the speed limit? Do we ever lack kindness in our words towards others? Did we take the dog for a walk and leave the poop on someone's front lawn? Do we throw away unfinished food instead of saving it? Do we remember to recycle?

Please people, unless you are a perfect citizen in all of these regards and more, don't toss insults to smokers. It is divisive and makes you look like a douche.

When smoke bans take place in more and more and more places, I am actually sympathetic towards smokers. It isn't brief exposure to second-hand smoke that causes disease, it is heavy on-going exposure that does that. If a non-smoker goes to the smoking section of a restaurant every day for twenty years, then they would be at risk for some of the same diseases as smokers. But the person who goes to the smoking section of a restaurant once does not need to be tested for lung cancer.

Smoking is NOT good for you. I understand this. That's why I don't do it. I saw a comment on the Internet somewhere that said, "You smoke near me, I have the right to spit at you. Same thing, I view it as a blatant disregard for other people's right to never smell that sht." Please, don't be this person. It does NOT help to treat someone else with disrespect, even if you think that by smoking, someone else is disrespecting you. That smoker isn't the only person who doesn't care about the consequences of his actions towards others. Don't treat him differently from any other person.

Edited by RockinRarity
  • Brohoof 2

I agree but I don't think you read the whole thread, I didn't either so I understand it's alot to read but, this was my stance on the matter and a few other people's too.  You agreed with the middle siiiideeee hehehehehe if there was such a thing.  Ok where is the "let's act stupid and laugh alot" section.  I keep finding myself in serious discussions LOL

I noticed a few people who took the middle ground, but most of it was either one or the other (mostly the "OMG SMOKING IS THE WORST THING EVAH!@!!SS1" side). But yeah I'm all for the act stupid and laugh a lot side, hahaha.... blink.png

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I noticed a few people who took the middle ground, but most of it was either one or the other (mostly the "OMG SMOKING IS THE WORST THING EVAH!@!!SS1" side). But yeah I'm all for the act stupid and laugh a lot side, hahaha.... img-1603929-1-blink.png

I found it, it's called the "lounge" hehehehehehe  But yeah I'll say this about the posts being made about not hating on smokers (which I love you all for making)  The most I have EVER wanted to quit smoking, like the point at which I really looked at myself and thought "I MUST stop at all costs" was when I was smoking on the sidewalk and this little old lady walked up to me and she sat down beside me.  She said "You know, I had a husband for 35 years, he was a beautiful man and while we had our fights he was always good to me.  But no matter how hard I begged him to, he would not stop smoking.  11 years ago he died of lung cancer at age 54, and I've had to keep living knowing that if he just hadn't used those terrible things I would still have him with me to this day. You have you are a good looking young man with a promising future and some day you will meet a girl you want to spend the rest of your life with, please don't continue on in this habit that may someday leave her like me, alone, and always missing the man I used to spend my every moment with and lean on for everything.  There are people on this earth who need you around as long as they can keep you, and every time you smoke one of those things you are taking that away from them."  

And like, she said it with so much sincerity, so much kindness, I literally started crying and was just speechless.  It stuck too, that began a really hard battle for me it was about 2 years later I actually did quit, but her words NEVER left me, and made me take quitting so much more seriously.  

And on the other end of this matter?  The least I've ever wanted to quit is when people would say things like "UGH, you KNOW that's bad for you, why do you even do it"  Or "You smoke?  Gross... who wants to smell like an ash tray"  When people would say that to me, I'd think "Screw you asshole, you don't know what it's like" and want to light up another smoke.  

Edit:  Btw, I don't remember the exact age or amount of time she said they'd been together so I just made a guesstimate.  The rest of what she said is exactly how I remember it, but it was about 3 years ago so I'm paraphrasing)

Edited by Symph
  • Brohoof 1

You shouldn't blame us for having such a serious reaction to this.

Smoking is bad for you no matter what you smoke.  Inhaling smoke into your lungs is never a good idea.

• Brohoof 1

I haven't smoked, I never will. I never understood how people like (or at least get used to) the terrible taste and smell of it. I know it's addicting, but how do you muster it the first time?

(I've inhaled my father's secondhand cigar smoke for years. Simply awful, how do people get used to that?)

Then there's the harmful chemicals and toxins that can be found in cigarettes, cigars, and tobacco.

I haven't smoked, I never will. I never understood how people like (or at least get used to) the terrible taste and smell of it. I know it's addicting, but how do you muster it the first time?

(I've inhaled my father's secondhand cigar smoke for years. Simply awful, how do people get used to that?)

Then there's the harmful chemicals and toxins that can be found in cigarettes, cigars, and tobacco.

Some people would say the same of coffee or beer or hard liquor or all kinds of things.  Just because it's repulsive to you doesn't mean it is to everyone.  I always loved the smell and feel of tobacco so try to broaden your thinking to understand not everyone is like you.  Not to mention when people begin smoking they are hardly thinking to themselves "man all those harmful chemicals I am just DYING to get some of THAT in my lungs!"  No it's a social thing, people around them are doing it, they don't want to feel left out, maybe they feel like they look weird being the only one who's not smoking so they're like "hey bro can I get one of those from you" to seem like they're "in".  Oh and don't forget how many people may start while under the influence of alcohol.  

You shouldn't blame us for having such a serious reaction to this.

Smoking is bad for you no matter what you smoke.  Inhaling smoke into your lungs is never a good idea.

Serious reaction is fine, lack of care or belittling judgements are no better than smoking itself.  I see little difference in the harmful effects of a harsh and judgmental attitude on the world and people who smoke.  Smoking affects people's outer health negatively, judgement and belittling affects people's mental health negatively.  

Some people would say the same of coffee or beer or hard liquor or all kinds of things.  Just because it's repulsive to you doesn't mean it is to everyone.  I always loved the smell and feel of tobacco so try to broaden your thinking to understand not everyone is like you.  Not to mention when people begin smoking they are hardly thinking to themselves "man all those harmful chemicals I am just DYING to get some of THAT in my lungs!"  No it's a social thing, people around them are doing it, they don't want to feel left out, maybe they feel like they look weird being the only one who's not smoking so they're like "hey bro can I get one of those from you" to seem like they're "in".  Oh and don't forget how many people may start while under the influence of alcohol.  

Serious reaction is fine, lack of care or belittling judgements are no better than smoking itself.  I see little difference in the harmful effects of a harsh and judgmental attitude on the world and people who smoke.  Smoking affects people's outer health negatively, judgement and belittling affects people's mental health negatively.  

I understand that smoking, to some, is an escape/release from the real world that comes along with some side effects. I also understand how peer pressure and how the need to belong and fit in can also start a long-term smoking habit. Like I said, it's very addictive, and some people can tolerate it better than others. I'm merely speaking about the others who find it repulsive, so apologies for not taking that into consideration.

• Brohoof 1

I understand that smoking, to some, is an escape/release from the real world that comes along with some side effects. I also understand how peer pressure and how the need to belong and fit in can also start a long-term smoking habit. Like I said, it's very addictive, and some people can tolerate it better than others. I'm merely speaking about the others who find it repulsive, so apologies for not taking that into consideration.

Oh ok, I didn't get your intent.  I thought you were going "Of COURSE we can't stand you smokers it's a disgusting habit" But you were just saying "try not to be too offended by the people being harsh, it really hurts them to see people smoking and there are serious emotions going on inside them".  Got ya :)  

Well now you've gone too far in the other direction imo.  That's like saying "being fat is just retarded, if you're fat and you continue to eat carbs and sweets you're the dumbest person alive.  Or "being addicted to pain killers is just retarded, if you have migraines but now you can't stop taking prescription pain killers you're the dumbest person alive".  Addiction is just that, addiction.  It's not in any way a reflection of intelligence, but of weak will power.  And don't act like you haven't made dumb decisions you should have known better than to make, smoking just happens to be one of the most impossible addictions to quit.  I hardly think my 12 year old self was being "the dumbest person alive" when he started smoking, he was being... TWELVE.  

All addictions start with either a need to fit in (which I'm positive you can relate to) or a desire to mask pain or escape (you also I'm certain can relate)  It's just unfortunate that this addiction is harder to break than a heroine habit when it is one of the most deadly addictions there is.  The only thing that would make you extremely "dumb" is if you were like "I don't wanna quit smoking, it makes me too badass" if that's your attitude, ok, that's dumb.  But if you acknowledge it's terrible, wish you could quit, have tried to quit, and keep finding yourself buying another pack when you run out anyway (probably hating yourself for it) the last thing you need are non smokers telling you now that you're "the dumbest person alive".  Let's not go crazy with our hatred of smokers sheesh.  

yes i know that but i did say that i was retard so i was acting like i was not a retard mistakes because i said that i did smoke so yea and eating and taking pills are not as bad as smoking.

yes i know that but i did say that i was retard so i was acting like i was not a retard mistakes because i said that i did smoke so yea and eating and taking pills are not as bad as smoking.

doesn't really matter if it's as bad not as bad, this isn't a game to figure out which habit is worse.  Habits are habits, they start the same way, they are hard to quit in the same way.  Relativity just complicates things, "Yeah I'm addicted to TV but that's not as bad as being addicted to the internet!"  "Well I'm addicted to the internet but that's not as bad as being addicted to video games!"  It's a childish merry go round, addictions start the same way and none are good, humans should be free of all vices/addictions in an ideal world, there's nothing wrong with admitting some addictions are worse than others, as long as you admit they almost always start the same way and are cut from the same cloth.  Addiction in general just sucks, and there's just as much lack of excuse for it, as there is abundance of excuses for it.  

doesn't really matter if it's as bad not as bad, this isn't a game to figure out which habit is worse.  Habits are habits, they start the same way, they are hard to quit in the same way.  Relativity just complicates things, "Yeah I'm addicted to TV but that's not as bad as being addicted to the internet!"  "Well I'm addicted to the internet but that's not as bad as being addicted to video games!"  It's a childish merry go round, addictions start the same way and none are good, humans should be free of all vices/addictions in an ideal world, there's nothing wrong with admitting some addictions are worse than others, as long as you admit they almost always start the same way and are cut from the same cloth.  Addiction in general just sucks, and there's just as much lack of excuse for it, as there is abundance of excuses for it.  

they are retard for picking up a smoke an keep of smoking it the addiction doesn't work tell you smoke like a pack of smokes that when you can't hardly stop is what i think is retard that people do

they are retard for picking up a smoke an keep of smoking it the addiction doesn't work tell you smoke like a pack of smokes that when you can't hardly stop is what i think is retard that people do

Okieeeee then... I'm just gonna... leave this one alone....  THIS IS NOT THE TIME CHARACTER LIMIT!  DON'T YOU EVER TAKE A DAY OFF MAN??? YAAARGGGFFFFKFLDDD

Okieeeee then... I'm just gonna... leave this one alone....  THIS IS NOT THE TIME CHARACTER LIMIT!  DON'T YOU EVER TAKE A DAY OFF MAN??? YAAARGGGFFFFKFLDDD

so then why did you quot me then if you going to leave it alone then and plus everyone has there opinion about smoking an i can except that for what it is but yea

Smoking is stupid. Enough said. It's so retarded! I hate seeing 14 year olds with cigarettes. I mean I'm sure people are told at least 3 times in their life so far about how smoking can kill you. Yet, I see people STILL smoking. So no. I don't smoke and I never will.

• Brohoof 1

so then why did you quot me then if you going to leave it alone then and plus everyone has there opinion about smoking an i can except that for what it is but yea

Ever been in a conversation Jep when you suddenly realize it's pointless to continue, so you let the person know you're just not going to continue the conversation.  Yeah, that's what happened there.  Though I am gonna let everyone in this thread know now that I'm unwatching it.  There's alot of inconsideration for how people work, how addiction happens, how much smokers would like to quit but it's just harder than a non smoker could understand, and being a former smoker I'd rather not keep seeing the "SMOKING ERMAGERRD ITS SOO RETAARDED YER SCHOOL TOLD YOU NOT TO WHY DO U STILL DEEW ITTTT"  Posts.  

There's a reason they let you smoke in rehab.  There's a reason nicotine patches exist.  There's a reason anti smoking campaigns exist. Even psychologists and councilors and people who went to school to help people break free of addiction in rehab centers understand that people will not be able to break free of their drug habits AND smoking habits at once.  For all of you in this thread who GET that, THANK YOUUUU!!!!!  And for the rest with this over simplified "Smoking kills you anyone who does it is DUMB" attitude.  Well it must be nice being so perfect, I'm jelleh.  

• Brohoof 1

Oh I already see how people die. But people die from all manner of things and smoking is only one of them. I'm also 37 years old so I've had a goodly amount of time to think and see all things in relation to what i choose to do. I can quit right now just like any other thing just like any other pony but you can't say that I don't know or will not see it from all aspects then one single negative idea about health. But there's is something you also can't deny. If you've never done it in the first place... there was once a day i sounded just like you and was not far from your age either.

well, i actually think it depends on how addicted and how many you smoke in a day, if you smoke a pack a day, that's bad, if you do like one or two, that's still bad, but not AS bad, just saying. as long as you're not dying  sleep.png

I smoke a pipe and cigars (only occasionally cigarettes) but only when I'm with certain friends and we're just chilling (possibly getting bevved up). Aside from that, no. For me smoking is a social thing and I go completely for the taste, hence the pipe and cigars. Since going to Uni I've had to cut down simply because I can't afford it anymore.

Please tell me english isn't your first language.

OT: I'm going to go enjoy a smoke or two right now and pretend I'm exhaling the smoke in all your faces.

Hank_Smoking.jpg

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I honestly don't know how to respond to someone thinking smoking is bad ass...

No, I don't smoke.  Nor do I do anything that is horrible for my body in the sense of intake.  If I want cancer, I will get it the right way, by microwaving Tupperware and using Styrofoam. 

Edited by Rainbow Dashey