Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are your feelings on death/oblivion? (Not the game)

Gingerpotato

1. Do you believe in an aferlife?

You can't prove or disprove an afterlife. But I'd have to say that I don't if I had to pick one or the other.

2. Are you a religious person and if so what does your specified religion state about death?

No, I can't believe in one religion if there's a million out there. Who's to say that theirs is right?

3. Are you scared of death/oblivion?

No, but I'm not welcoming my death anytime soon.

TL;DR: Triple no

• Brohoof 1

1.Do you believe in an afterlife?

Yes. Most definitely and completely

2.Are you a religious person and if so what does your specified religion state about death?

Yes i am religious. I am a christian, but I don't put a name to it as swooZie (My Hero :D :D [if i meet him, something on my bucket list will be crossed off, and i kid you not] ) so intelligently said "I'm the type of Christian Jesus speaks about in the bible.

What does my religion say about death? Haha... I'm DEFINITELY not gonna answer that. Last time on my last forum, i posted exactly what the bible said, and things just went downhill from there. This is a great way to make enemies if anyone is looking for a way to do that XP

3. Are you scared of death/oblivion

Not in the slightest. Alot of times i think i don't wanna die, there's so much stuff i have yet to do. But then i remember what the Bible says, and I have to correct myself.

2.Are you a religious person and if so what does your specified religion state about death?

I was raised Catholic, but I follow my own sort of deviation of catholicism. When you die, you get to be with who you love most. If you are a selfish person and love only yourself, you spend your afterlife with yourself. If you're a selfless person, (you get the idea).

PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, but you're not really Catholic then. I'm not trying to offend or anything, but if you are Catholic, you believe EVERY word in the Catholic bible, no exceptions. And this is CERTAINLY not in the Catholic bible :P

1. Do you believe in an afterlife?

I want to believe in one, if that answers the question at all... however, it's painfully obvious that truly believing in such is deluding myself to the truth. Once you're dead, you're dead; there's no changing that. However, at the risk of sounding like I'm spouting idealistic drivel, perhaps the true afterlife is found in the hearts and minds of the people whose lives you've touched over the years. Even after you're gone, if you were a good enough person to those in what was your life, you'll live on through the tales they might tell of the person that you were or the lessons that they took for their own lives from your own behavior and actions. This, in all honesty, is what I perceive to be the afterlife; the domain that is the memories of other people is where one truly lives on posthumously.

And if you were a bad person? An incontinent person? Well, there's reason to believe that you will not be remembered - at least not fondly! - and this lack of recognition or remembrance of any sort is the true mark of hell, the mark of a life unfulfilled or even used in a way incongruous with morality.

2. Are you a religious person and if so what does your specified religion state about death?

I am not religious. I'm a confirmed Catholic but I don't go to Church often. I really just read the Bible every now and then to appreciate it for the influential work that it is but I digress; Catholicism seems to establish that there is indeed a heaven and a hell and that one might influence going to either by the way one lives their life. It's pretty straightforward and attempting to explain it is simply preaching to the proverbial choir.

3. Are you scared of death / oblivion?

I'm more scared of not being ready for it. I'm scared that I will die someday, unfulfilled and mediocre, and that will be the end. No romantic turn of events, no story to conclude...

I just fear that my death will be a fizzle rather than a flash, if you will.

*rare emotionally involved post is posted*

First thing i strongly disagree with you on. I knew this day would come... I was just hoping it wouldn't :'( lol

But I'm not gonna argue with you. Getting people to change their religious beliefs is... frustrating at the VERY easiest.

personally i have my own belief in after life and ive been reading H.P Lovecraft again it gets me thinking about oblivion i just decided "hell im not gonna be alive then so whats it matter?" (also my version of post death allows me to not care about oblivion)

I was raised Catholic, but I follow my own sort of deviation of catholicism

^ never said I was Catholic, but my beliefs are influenced from Catholicism .

Edited by Shankveld

I was raised Catholic, but I follow my own sort of deviation of catholicism

^ never said I was Catholic, but my beliefs are influenced from Catholicism .

I guess this makes more sense, but i wouldn't say you could follow a deviation of Catholicism because it's a pretty specific religion, once you move away from it, in the slightest it's not really Catholicism at all. :/

So, I read John Green's The Fault In Our Stars the other day and it got me thinking about death and if the idea of dying was something that I couldn't accept. So, I suppose to get things started here are a few questions on death and the eventual oblivion. I will also include my answers.

1. I do believe in the afterlife. But I don't know why, when logically there should be nothing. Death is but the body ceasing to perform anymore, so we would feel and experience nothing. And yet...the soul and the mind have their own way of doing things to the point they are like a separate entity. With that, I am torn and believe in an afterlife only because I am afraid of the other option.

2. I am not a religious person, I am an agnostic. I believe in only one God. Probability. The probability that in our infinite universe, there lies the infinite possibility of a god/gods existing/not existing. There is just as much chance as one or the other scenario to exist with probability.

3. Yes. I am afraid of death, yet I am also fascinated by what sort of experience it must be.

Yes. Most definitely and completely

Yes i am religious. I am a christian, but I don't put a name to it as swooZie (My Hero :D :D [if i meet him, something on my bucket list will be crossed off, and i kid you not] ) so intelligently said "I'm the type of Christian Jesus speaks about in the bible.

What does my religion say about death? Haha... I'm DEFINITELY not gonna answer that. Last time on my last forum, i posted exactly what the bible said, and things just went downhill from there. This is a great way to make enemies if anyone is looking for a way to do that XP

Not in the slightest. Alot of times i think i don't wanna die, there's so much stuff i have yet to do. But then i remember what the Bible says, and I have to correct myself.

PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, but you're not really Catholic then. I'm not trying to offend or anything, but if you are Catholic, you believe EVERY word in the Catholic bible, no exceptions. And this is CERTAINLY not in the Catholic bible :P

First thing i strongly disagree with you on. I knew this day would come... I was just hoping it wouldn't :'( lol

But I'm not gonna argue with you. Getting people to change their religious beliefs is... frustrating at the VERY easiest.

Nah, feel free to embellish. You seem like you've developed your beliefs and have given them thought which is something I've yet to do. Perhaps you could, say, show me what for? ;P

I guess this makes more sense, but i wouldn't say you could follow a deviation of Catholicism because it's a pretty specific religion, once you move away from it, in the slightest it's not really Catholicism at all. :/

Try to think of Carl Rahner's dubbing of the "anonymous Christian"; people who do not follow orthodox Christian doctrines but embody most of the teachings associable with the religion altogether in the way that they live their lives. As Gandhi has said, "I like your Christ. I don't like your Christians, for they are very unlike your Christ." Gandhi can be considered an anonymous Christian of sorts just as much as anyone who employs Christian moral principles without wishing to get involved in the "A&P" behavior of other members within the faith.

Basically I'm calling Shank Gandhi. This is how we do.

• Brohoof 1

I thought long and hard about this question and the honest answer is that I am not scared of death. I always used to say that dying would be inconvenient to me as there was always something I want to do with my life. Now however I just see it as the natural course of things. If I were to die within the next 5 minutes I would not know about it and therefore I would not be scared. If I was warned of my death then I would not fear.

There's something around us that was never alive, but I highly doubt when humans got expired we will turned into that or something else. We just gone, rotten, all of our essence will be decomposed, turned into something else. Just like any animal' carcasses that was consumed by fungi and many other stuff :/

I'm used to be a buddhist, a christian, and a muslim, but right now I cling to none. Each of them only dictates "be good or be damned in your afterlife" with various minor difference. But I believed what I could actually see and feel, we'll just be unravelled, nothing exciting afaik

Honestly, yes. There's still so much fun things to do in this world. I still want to have some fun! :P

Try to think of Carl Rahner's dubbing of the "anonymous Christian"; people who do not follow orthodox Christian doctrines but embody most of the teachings associable with the religion altogether in the way that they live their lives. As Gandhi has said, "I like your Christ. I don't like your Christians, for they are very unlike your Christ." Gandhi can be considered an anonymous Christian of sorts just as much as anyone who employs Christian moral principles without wishing to get involved in the "A&P" behavior of other members within the faith.

Basically I'm calling Shank Gandhi. This is how we do.

well the problem with this is, if you just follow the rules, you're not a Christian. You follow religion not God (yes they are separate, it's not something someone can understand easily unless they've read alot of the Bible and have a good relationship with God).

That's all I'm saying, when I start going into detail and start using words like "Hell" people get... Touchy.

well the problem with this is, if you just follow the rules, you're not a Christian. You follow religion not God (yes they are separate, it's not something someone can understand easily unless they've read alot of the Bible and have a good relationship with God).

That's all I'm saying, when I start going into detail and start using words like "Hell" people get... Touchy.

That's it, though. They aren't Christians. All they do is take the moral values present and taught in Christianity and adhere to them.

• Brohoof 1

1. Do you believe in afterlife?

I like to think there is. I don't want to just rot away, with everything I've believed in, all my interests just vanished off the face of the universe.

2. Are you religious?

I'm agnostic.

I tend not to think about death, but in a way, yes, as I described in the afterlife part, I don't want to die and then re-incarnate into something else.

Yes

I'm Catholic. I have been taught that there is a Heaven, Hell and Purgatory.

I do believe in all 3 but in a different manner than they have been taught to me. I believe if you have been a good person you can make it to heaven (regardless of what religion/lack of religion you are) . I have my own interpretation for the word "good" but I think you get my point.

Hell being where "evil" people go. Once again I have my own interpretation of the word.

I do not believe any groups to be "evil". I don't believe being atheist or pagan, etc. gets you damned for all eternity. There are good and bad people in all groups.

Purgatory. I question what exactly this is. According to what I've been taught it's some in between of death and heaven...a cleansing place prior to entering heaven.

I do believe that it exists but I don't believe that it is the painful cleansing that they say it is.

Not at all. If death if the way to the afterlife then I shall embrace the day I die.

If anyone has an any questions or needs further elaboration of what I believe, feel free to ask.

Edited by High Prophet of Larp

Death is scary because it's the last thing that will happen to you, and because it's hard to understand that while you're dead you won't be alive to experience being dead. It's terrifying to imagine being buried in the Earth in a box forever, but try to remember that you won't be asleep during this, you won't be unconscious, you will be utterly gone. The body you are manipulating to serve your ends and which you keep fueled to maintain your existence... you will have already left it behind. Your life energy will have separated from your physical body, to whatever end. Nothing that can happen to your body after you die will have any affect on you whatsoever, because you'll already be dead. I think I've made my point. There is nothing to fear. Death is only the beginning.

1. Do you beleive in an afterlife

Yes, I do beleive in an afterlife.

I am a Pentecostal. That is just another form of Christianity. I believe I will rise up to Heaven's Gates just like the rest of the Christians.

No, not really. A painful death I am afraid of, but death I am not. Death is part of nature. So is Life. Would you be afraid of life? I think not. YOU ARE LIVING IT NOW!!!

Edited by Kunoichi Derpina

Yes, I do

I'm not religious, but I'm spiritualy attached to many ideals and beliefs, its complicated :3

Yes, I would like to die at a very old age, I want to see too many things yet, experience more than I already have, those thigns

• Brohoof 1

Yes, I do. See the next one for a better answer.

I am religious, but its hard to say what religion I belogn to. I ama Christian, however, I do believe in the power of science TO A DEGREE. For example, I'm sure the Big Bang actually happened, but there's one thing that always bothered me, whered did the components that formed the universe come from? If the universe if everything, and nothing could exist without a universe to exist in, then how could the universe have been formed. It sounds like a paradox, but it isn't.

Not really. What I'm more afraid of is the fact of not knowing what happens after death.

Eenope :mellow:

Atheist, and what I think death is like, do you remember that time before you were born? Well you know what it is like to be dead. It is just simple non-existence or non-consciousness. I wish I could explain it to you, but that's just it... I can't. It is something that the human mind will NEVER comprehend because in order to you mind has to be destroyed completely.

No. Though I do want to live a long and healthy life I don't fear it.

Nope.

Nope. Atheist

I am an atheist. When I die, I will be dead and cease to exist. The billions of years that I never existed will be my reality once I pass away.

I'm not afraid of death itself, but I don't want to die. Death will most likely result in an eternal state on non-existence, and I was cool with that before I existed.

I am religious, but its hard to say what religion I belogn to. I ama Christian, however, I do believe in the power of science TO A DEGREE. For example, I'm sure the Big Bang actually happened, but there's one thing that always bothered me, whered did the components that formed the universe come from? If the universe if everything, and nothing could exist without a universe to exist in, then how could the universe have been formed. It sounds like a paradox, but it isn't.

With regards to this, I tend to go with the "primordial egg" explanation, but universe interactions, virtual particles, and large-scale quantum fluctuations are interesting hypotheses. It's hard to imagine where everything "came from" (if it did at all), but there's no reason to suspect, in my mind that it, that it was caused supernaturally. Interesting thought, though.

Edited by AKA Mr. Wobbels

Eenope

Eenope

Like MrWobbels said, I'm not really afraid of death, but I don't want to die either. After I die, I won't feel anything. I won't exist at all. I won't even know that I'm dead. I know I'm going to die someday so I don't really care about the state of being dead. What I'm more worried about is the process of dying. It doesn't look fun at all...

So basically, I'm not afraid of being dead, but I'm afraid of dying... if that makes any sense at all :P

1. Do you beleive in an afterlife

With all the stuff I think about, it's hard to think of a proper afterlife. However, I can believe I had a life before this one. I have no idea where some random memories came from, and I've always had them since I was born. I don't believe it was from a dream either. I dunno.

My religion states that I would go to either heaven or hell... or something. I really never looked too much into it, nor do I care much for its views on the matter.

No, I just see death as a minor inconvenience when my life is at its end. I'm not even scared of hell.

Nope. It just doesn't make sense that one would exist, both from a scientific standpoint, and from my own personal thoughts on the matter.

Nope. Been an athiest for many years now. See my answer to number 1 for details.

Yeah, I guess. I just think that, at least in my case, life and consciousness is always preferable to death and unconsciousness. I don't spend much time worrying about it though, because there's nothing that can be done about it, and I'd rather just live my life and have fun than worry about the things that are out of my control.

DISCLAIMER: Nothing I say in this post is supposed to sound arrogant, sarcastic, or like a smart-a. I am simply honestly stating what i think. My recommendation is to read it out loud in a light tone to see how i'm trying to say it. Thanks.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. It's one or the other, the "science" (this is in quotes because there is science that backs up Christianity, so you can have both it's not one vs the other. I think a better word would be atheist :P ) in the big bang theory and what the bible says are opposites. There isn't a grey without nullifying what the Bible says. And if you nullify even one thing the Bible says, then the you could just do that with everything. It would just become a fictional novel. :/

My religion states that I would go to either heaven or hell... or something. I really never looked too much into it, nor do I care much for its views on the matter.

No, I just see death as a minor inconvenience when my life is at its end. I'm not even scared of hell.

2. Uhhhh if you don't care about it, maybe you should change religions? Just seems like the logical thing to do. :/

3. If this religion is Christianity... you should DEFINITELY change religions. The Bible says you should fear two things. God, and Hell. EVERYONE who is a Christian, should poop cinder-blocks at the thought of eternity in Hell.

If it's not Christianity, disregard what i just said, i wouldn't know what it would say about hell :P