Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are your feelings on death/oblivion? (Not the game)

Gingerpotato

3. If this religion is Christianity... you should DEFINITELY change religions. The Bible says you should fear two things. God, and Hell. EVERYONE who is a Christian, should poop cinder-blocks at the thought of eternity in Hell.

If it's not Christianity, disregard what i just said, i wouldn't know what it would say about hell :P

I just don't care much for my own well being; I value everyone else's well being more than mine. If I end in hell, I probably deserve it. But yeah, I don't really believe heaven/hell as an afterlife. Going back to my #1, I feel like I've lived a life before mine, so I believe I'll live another life after. I just prefer to have my own beliefs on things like that.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. It's one or the other, the "science" (this is in quotes because there is science that backs up Christianity, so you can have both it's not one vs the other. I think a better word would be atheist :P ) in the big bang theory and what the bible says are opposites. There isn't a grey without nullifying what the Bible says. And if you nullify even one thing the Bible says, then the you could just do that with everything. It would just become a fictional novel. :/

I didn't say I was atheist because being so would mean that I do not believe in a God, when I actually do. I just threw out an example, I won't touch on my specific beliefs because I wouldn't want to start controversy. For example, with evolution I DO believe animals have evolved over time, however, Humans have only adapted to change, as the bible states than man was created from the image of God. So I'm not exactly nullifying the bible, because in both examples I believe that God exists and that there are things that science can't neccesarily explain because they are acts of God.

That's why I say I'm religious, but I also believe there are things science can explain. Also remember that the Bible has been translated to and from countless languages by different people. What we read today may not neccesarily be what was originally written. Its the same as anime, it loses some of its meaning when being translated to English and other languages.

Now I'm not saying I, or science, or the bible are right. That's why I've decided to pursue my own path rather than follow in someone else's footsteps. What if Science is wrong? What if the Bible is wrong? That's not something I can ask somebody else, only I can ask myself that question. Likewise, I don't encourage other people to follow me.

I didn't say I was atheist because being so would mean that I do not believe in a God, when I actually do. I just threw out an example, I won't touch on my specific beliefs because I wouldn't want to start controversy. For example, with evolution I DO believe animals have evolved over time, however, Humans have only adapted to change, as the bible states than man was created from the image of God. So I'm not exactly nullifying the bible, because in both examples I believe that God exists and that there are things that science can't neccesarily explain because they are acts of God.

That's why I say I'm religious, but I also believe there are things science can explain. Also remember that the Bible has been translated to and from countless languages by different people. What we read today may not neccesarily be what was originally written. Its the same as anime, it loses some of its meaning when being translated to English and other languages.

Now I'm not saying I, or science, or the bible are right. That's why I've decided to pursue my own path rather than follow in someone else's footsteps. What if Science is wrong? What if the Bible is wrong? That's not something I can ask somebody else, only I can ask myself that question. Likewise, I don't encourage other people to follow me.

It seems like you're just using religion to fill in the gaps for what science can't explain. if that's the case... you're doing it wrong :P

Anyway like i said before, you can't be religious and believe what "science" says. It's one or the other. Even with translations after translation, it's opposites. Opposites don't get mistranslated to work together :P .

I guess this makes more sense, but i wouldn't say you could follow a deviation of Catholicism because it's a pretty specific religion, once you move away from it, in the slightest it's not really Catholicism at all. :/

What I am would take too long to explain, this is a simpler response ~

• 4 months later...
(edited)

I think some people are being too categorical. Just because today's flawed (less than it used to) and still-improving science can't explain some things, they believe those things don't even exist at all.

I, however, agree with Stoner Spike, Envoy-in-exile, Strafe. It may not exist, but it also may. As far as we haven't yet proven either theory, they are both worth considering, without any religious or rationalistic bias. (please note that I said "rationalistic", not "scientific" - rationalism is NOT science)

I used to kid myself into thinking that if I believed in an afterlife then there would be one.

Well, physicists are now "kidding themselves" that observing a particle might affect its quantum state. It's not as childish and stupid as you'd think.

Also, considering that I think science has confirmed that consciousnesses is caused by the brain

Actually, the correlation was indeed shown, but there's no evidence showing brain activity as the CAUSE of consciousness. We are unable to detect any "better" signs of consciousness, but that doesn't mean there is none.

In fact, some near death experience (NDE) reports mention that the patient has been braindead (as far as the doctors knew), yet the person could later talk about things that were verified, some of them unknown to the other people around them. There's a binome in my English class who made a presentation about this, and they talked about the most famous case of Pamela Reynolds (flat EEG, and after recovery, description of the surgery during clinical death and a toothbrush in a different room).

[most beautiful reply in the whole thread]

Why doesn't this have more brohoofs, it deserves all the praise it can get.

It sums up my own opinion on the subject, too. Though I've yet to be able to meditate (at least while awake). XD

FinalGamer's argument also sounds legitimate - I believe in probabilities, not certainty. Veeceiri's paragraph about anonymous Christians needs more love, as well.

Contrary to popular belief, science and religion are not mutually exclusive. We just need to stop taking modern scientific method as the perfect way to reach the absolute truth (which would be a form of extreme conservativity), and remember that religious texts were meant to be metaphorical depictions (and not literal statements of facts people believed in).

-----------------

I think my answers to the three questions are somewhat easy to guess, but I'll still put them here simply.

1) I believe in the possibility of an afterlife, though I have damn good reasons for considering it highly probable.

2) I'm spiritual, not religious. My belief states that, once I leave my body, I will have a choice.

3) Not really, but that doesn't mean I wanna die anytime soon. ^_^

Edited by Feather Spiral

(edited)

1. Do you believe in an afterlife?

Yes.

2. Are you a religious person and if so what does your specified religion state about death?

I'm hesitant to use the term "religious" because of how it's thrown around these days, almost always in a negative manner. I'm Roman Catholic and practice my faith. Mass on Sunday, confession, etc.

The Church teaches of Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory. All of which I feel have significant theological and scriptural support. In other words, it's not an "invention" of the Church.

3. Are you scared of death/oblivion

Very much. Death is always scary to me, even if I believe there is something greater at the end.

We're suppose to live a good life following the way of Christ out of love, not out of fear of damnation or out of anxiousness for a reward at the end of the finish line.

Therefore I try not to think about the afterlife so I can keep my motives for being good away from outright selfishness or fear.

Edited by Lady Rarity Pony
  • Brohoof 1

We're suppose to live a good life following the way of Christ out of love, not out of fear of damnation or out of anxiousness for a reward at the end of the finish line.

Therefore I try not to think about the afterlife so I can keep my motives for being good away from outright selfishness or fear.

I don't think there'll be enough brohoofs for this, either. ^_^

"It's not the destination, it's the glory of the ride" - Edward Monkton

• Brohoof 1

1.Do you believe in an afterlife?

Yup. In the form of hell, heaven, and purgatory. However I believe that purgatory is where ghosts come from. If you're in purgatory, you're a ghost. Explains why some are friendly and why others are really angry. Purgatory also allows the devil and god to exist together and try to capture souls for their own kingdoms. Purgatory is essentially another Earth without physical boundaries. Hell and heaven are essentially the same as most religions depict them.

2.Are you a religious person and if so what does your specified religion state about death?

Just spiritual.

3. Are you scared of death/oblivion.

HELL NO! Death can come right now and I would completely accept it. I know I'm either going to hell or purgatory anyway so I'm prepared for a lot of suffering.

When I was younger, I believed in both the afterlife and spiritual life, because I was afraid of the fact that one day I will die (plus, my whole family was/is religious). Now, not so much - I believe that us humans are merely biological machines that live on this earth without a clear reason and/or goal, as a consequence of biological, chemical and physical evolutions that occurred millions of years ago.

2.Are you a religious person and if so what does your specified religion state about death?

N/A, as in not religious.

as I said, I was afraid of death a lot back in the day. I used to worry that I would suddenly get an heart attack or that I would get cancer and many other similar things which would lead to death. I'm still afraid of these things today, but only because I would suffer and feel the pain and not because I would die and leave this place. It's our destiny to die, and I would surely, but unwillingly, accept that fate.

Yes

No

No

I find it intriguing, and the concept as a whole intriguing.

I believe that there has to be SOMETHING afterwards. We can't just...end. There has to be some sort of consolation, some sort of end result of living. My personal belief is in Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory, and you are judged and sent to one of them.

I am technically a Catholic but I deviate from some of it's beliefs. For example, I believe that good people are rewarded and bad people are punished. We must also repent for our wrongdoings. I do not believe that I have to act like a saint like many of Catholic teachings preach. I feel the need to be a good, moral being and that should be enough for the big man up top to be happy.

Not at all. I have been so close to death on many occasions, whether it be of my own accord, someone else's accord, or anything else. I am not afraid of death. Sure, some may argue that I may be too young to have lived a full life, I disagree. I've seen enough, experienced enough, learned enough, and know enough to consider living a full life in my opinion. I do not want to die, but if it must, let it happen.

1. Do you believe in an afterlife?

I'm not sure. Life is life because of the thrill and fear associated with it. Take those away, and you have a very dull exsistence. If I'm able to jump off the Grand Canyon with no possible harm or danger, where's the sense of life in that? The only way to find out, is to approach that moment.

2. Are you a religious person and if so what does your specified religion state about death?

I was raised Catholic, though now I don't care much for religion. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, then it doesn't. Personally, I have issues here and now in our world to focus on. Religion is interesting, in learning what people believe and why, but that's about it for me.

3. Are you scared of death/oblivion?

It's not the destination, it's the journey to it. I know nothing of death itself or what happens after, no one does. It's the moments before death I fear. After that, I can put these fears aside knowing I can sleep in everyday.

• Brohoof 1

I actually believe in reincarnation of sorts. Then when you have acted appropriately and achieved what you needed to you become part of the universe...the the life force. It's a combo of Wiccan Gaia and Buddhism

States above

No...just suffering

From a logical perspective, it is impossible to make an absolute judgment over whether afterlife exists or not; since no man can be an expert at such subject. My main focus is to make use of one life that I've been obviously granted with to the fullest, self-education/expanding self-capability as a goal my life and to continue embarking a self-made quest to understand the meaning of self. If an afterlife exists and there comes a time when I have to move on, then I will deal with a new situation when that happens.

There may be a reason to believe that god doesn't exist if the definition of a divine being is somewhat close to the Ancient Greek/Egyptian type, but if the definition of god is a being who cannot be comprehended by our mental capability, then it becomes an impossibility to disprove such being and be 100% sure.

Therefore this was the conclusion I came up with: I will not make any judgment over whether an afterlife exists or not, or whether a god exists or not. I will simply live my life making decisions and take full responsibility and accept any consequences over what may happen as a result of my actions. If the afterlife or god exists and there comes a time where I have to answer for what I've done during my mortal life; then I will stand firm and answer to my obligation; but I do not have to answer to those who believe in religion.

Life can be incredibly fragile, we can experience a sudden and abrupt end to our life without any warning. After we realize that general idea and realize that we are only granted a single chance to live our life. Then we reach a point where we have to make decision over how we want to live our life. It is anyone's freedom to choose whether we want to be depressed over such fact or come to a realization that even during a moment of weakness, there is an opportunity to become strong, an opportunity to become something more than what we are. So I have no reason to fear death, but I sincerely despise pain; but sometime we must learn from feeling pain or fight through it if it is necessary.

...I wander what happens after death though? I'm genuinely curious about it. But I have other shits to try while I'm alive so I will focus on what I can do currently instead of wasting it away like a moron.

Nope. Live life to the fullest!

Nope. No religion.

I'm actually excited for it. The idea of death always fascinated me. The feeling of death, the sights and senses. It's so interesting. Not saying I want to die, but I wouldn't mind dying.

When you said oblivion I legitly thought of the Elder scrolls lol.

Dont belive in an afterlife, when im dead im dead.

Im Athiest, when I die im dead and my carbon gets recycled

Im not scared of death, it happens (and no im not suicidal or goth) theres no reason to be scared since if you belive you only live one life you might as well make the best of it and not worry about your end of time.

1. Yes I beleive that there is life after death.

2.Yes, I'm a christain and it says that if you have accepted Jesus into your heart, then you are forgiven of your sins, and will get to spend an eternity in heaven with him. But if you don't, then you will go to hell.

3.Somewhat, and somewhat not..........

(edited)

No, I would think that we will all simply die to the eternal grave, maybe we can be saved, and maybe we can't. Everything leads to death. Everything is just gonna fade one day, and everyone will ultimately die, and we'll never even notice! And when we do try to notice, we'll find we can't! We just can't notice you know? But I would think not. So who knows, really? Nothing is real, but everything is real too you know?

You could call me religious, in a way, but I don't really truly have a religion I believe in. I'm working on it. If there were a god or great diety, I wouldn't put it up to some rich guy with his own bloody country to tell me how to believe in him.

Hmmm.... nah. Can't say I am, since it's pretty much a part of life anyway, but not life. Hell, you might just say it's the purpose of life, to die. Why be scared of the inevitable?

Edited by Swordfishtrombone

I want to quote Richard Dawkins about this:

"We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Sahara. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here." Richard Dawkins

No, I don't see any evidence for it, and i hope that it isn't true

How i see death is like this: ''someone nods your on your back, hey ! sorry man, the party of life is going on but you need to leave,'' well good enough.

But if one of the three monotheistic religion is true, then it goes like this: '' You get nodded on your back, Hey ! good news, the party going on forever, the big boss in the clouds says so and you got to stay !, you can never leave and you must be punished or praise the Lord Forever !!, there is no appeal in this court of god''

Does this (above) make people happy, I hope not.

Nope, Agnostic Atheist... No dogma here ;-)

No, I am happy that i can die. The natural cycle of death and rebirth must continue,

No, I don't believe in an afterlife and I sure hope there isn't one. Immortality is the greatest curse someone can give to a sentient being. Months become years. Years become decades. Decades become centuries. Centuries become millennia and even then, that's not even the beginning. The human brain has a storage capacity. As the years meld together and you forget your mother and father. Your sister and brother. Your first true love. Your first kiss. All that, melded incomprehensibly.

What are you then? Are you still you or just a shell holding together basic functions of movement and desire? Memories are what make the individual truly different. Your genome? 90% of it is identical to some stranger on the other side of the world. You can carry your genome on $20 flash drive. Strip those memories away.

What about meaning? What about purpose? What purpose and repercussions would you have? You live in an unchanging, stagnant environment, no matter how seemingly "infinite" an afterlife may seem. At least, heaven to the Christian religion. Reincarnation seems far better.

No, Agnostic Atheist. My personal beliefs make me see this: I will die when the last person carrying my memory or using my works disappear. The mark I leave on this world, whether good or bad, is how I will live after my death.

Scared? Maybe. I'm very young after all and there are places I want to go, things I want to do, and legacies I want to leave. But after I left my legacy, after I don't have anything left in the world, death will seem sweet.

Well, unless my death is at the hands of Pinkemina Diane Pie from Cupcakes. Then yes, I'M FREAKING OUT ABOUT MY DEATH.

No. However, since I can't really get my mind around "not existing" I just kind of believe in reincarnation.

I'm supposed to be christian, but I don't believe in God (to my family that's worse than being lesbian. thank goodness I'm not or my mom would think I'm crazy), so I guess I'm atheist. Atheism says nothing about anything except that we don't believe in God.... :huh:

No. I'm not scared of death/oblivion. However, I am scared that I'll die before I get to fulfill my greatest wish.

(edited)

1.No.

2.Nopety nope.

3.Nopety nopey nope nope.avi. I'd love to die in an incredibly awesome ridiculous and silly way. So if anyone hears of my death they might just chuckle. Then feel awful.

I'd hate to live forever in an afterlife. Just let me die and be done thanks.

Edited by Chill Mists (Chilly)

I dunno. I mean, So many people have scientifically found why we do this or act like that that I really don't believe there is anymore. I think when we die it'll be like a dreamless sleep, like when you're put under for surgery. It's a scary thought, I agree, but I believe that's the stone cold truth that many people refuse to believe by sugar coating it with the whole heaven and hell thing ( And for vikings Valhalla lol )

I'm not religious, like I don't want to be, but my parents force me to be. I'm christian to it states that when you die you will go to heaven, no matter the sins, because you've been loyal to god this whole time and such.

Yes, of course. Whenever I think about it, I mean REALLY think about it, I get this weird feeling in my stomach and i can like, see my funeral in a monochrome colour. It's weird and it scares me.