Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did you like the MLP:FiM theme remix in EqG?

Blue Moon

139 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like the remix?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which do you prefer?

• Remix
    • Original

I love the new version. To be fair, I love the original and I thought it was amazing (as with everything Daniel Ingram does, all hail Daniel Ingram *hail*), but with my favorite genre being added into the original, remixed by DI, and cutoff, vocal chopping, and the general excitement with by Best Friend, I lost my mind. I was like: "WHAT?! HE MADE IT BETTER?! HOW?! WHAT?! ........... Let's listen to it again!". Long story short, I watched Equestria girls at least 2.5x times (internet cut out) that day.

I'm listening to it right now, at school, on my iPod. 

• 2 weeks later...

This song was decent but it sounded a little Mainstream for me really. I'm more of a Rock/Metal Brony so I couldn't get to love this intro as much and as expected for movies it didn't surprise me they did a remix, yet again, it suits the actual theme of the movie and therefore it is decent, I still prefer the original though because I grew to love it the more I listened to it.

So maybe let's add a third one to the comparison, what do you think? ;-)

Here's a leaked EXTENDED version of the original theme song & intro, sung by Rebecca Soichet and composed by Daniel Ingram:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4By8YHOnILo

Although I like the original animation sequence more, since it's more in-sync with the music (and not too long for an intro), I like the extended version of this song more than the shorter one. It explains more about the Magic of Friendship, the connection and relation the mane six has to each other and their roles in the show, and it's quite a catchy music theme ;-)

Edit: I don't know if it's really leaked. I suspect that it's more likely some extended version made for the DVD release (since it contains clips from back-then future episodes). But still I decided it's worth sharing here... ;-)

Edited by SasQ

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not that keen on the remix as dubstep is one of the few types of music i don't like

So maybe let's add a third one to the comparison, what do you think? ;-)
Here's a leaked EXTENDED version of the original theme song & intro, sung by Rebecca Soichet and composed by Daniel Ingram:

omg i love the extended version, i youtube-mp3ed that ages ago and its one of my most played songs  :yay:

Oh boy...I knew this topic would exist some day...

Here's me, brilliant venture...big EDM Nerd, DJ, Producer...

fan of all that makes good vibes...

you'd think I'd love this remix right???

Right?

...I don't.

Why not?

For a number of reasons...but first let me start out by saying I flippin' LOVE Daniel Ingram...His musical style is genius, he has beautiful arrangements, and he makes some of the catchiest and professional songs I've ever heard in television, or in music itself...

But I have a few problems here...

1.Synth Presets - This remix is LOADED with really stock and generic "techno" sounds...(a word I generally never use...but there's no other description that fits it properly...) The presets are really bland and just sound like a default VST in FL Studio, now I'm fine with simplistic sounds as long as they're arranged well and have something creative added to them, and the drums sound like they were taken from a vengeance sample pack without ANY EQ done to them whatsoever, and put into a very very generic pattern...which brings me to number 2.

2.Bad Structure - You notice how some of these synths don't go together at all? and some of the extra countermelodies/sounds are a bit out of place? The structure of the song and the instruments chosen don't sound all that great here...that, and the tempo/bpm is too slow! I know some electronic songs that can pull off slow tempo, but in this...it only drags out how primitive and poor some of these synths sound, and how flawed some of the vocal stretching/warping is. There's a lot of parts as well that collide with eachother and sound very unfinished, and crowded. And speaking of crowded that brings me to my third point.

3.Bad mixdown - The EQing, FX, and levels are all over the place here...there's a lot of unnecessary panning at some points, the drums are too loud at points, the lead synths are too quiet, the vocals are okay...but it's just the original acapella with a bit of melodyne and stutter...but now I have to bring up the biggest gripe with the project...

4.QUANTIZATION - Oh...my...gosh...this is the main reason I'm not a fan of this...the drums are SOOO off time! they're too delayed! you can tell right from the first drum hit that it's a many milliseconds off...now I know what you're thinking.."Milliseconds? c'mon! isn't that severe nitpicking?" to which I will respond NO! quantizing is SO EASY...the program practically does it for you! There's no real excuse for this to be the way it is! in fact...now that I think about it...I'm pretty sure he got the drums from a sample pack, and didn't set the start time at the beginning of the wavform...because some sample packs have kick samples that have just a tiny bit of dead air before the drum kick actually starts...so it sounds delayed! But seriously, it's not that hard to right click and hit "Snap to grid"

So yeah..I know this is a ton of "nerd speak" but I really feel this project could have been executed better. I love Daniel Ingrams work, but perhaps he should stick to what he knows best rather than put out straight up EDM...or at least get some practice with it first!

I mean, I'm sorry...I really am to those who like it...but fact is, I'm not that great of an artist, and I'm certainly not as well known, but even I could easily remake this remix...and make it sound better! It was a good try on Dan's part...but not for me. 

That is of course my opinion, and you are free to disagree as you wish.

(And also on an unrelated note, the ending song "This is our big night (reprise)" is a complete ripoff of deadmau5 - Not Exactly with presets used in "Call me Maybe"...fun fact eh? like seriously! You can hear the original bassline and the exact drum pattern from not exactly, and those string synths...jepsen strings all the way.)

Edited by BrilliantVenture
  • Brohoof 2

@@BrilliantVenture, brilliant analysis! You've expressed everything I couldn't express myself due to lack of experience in making music. But you seem to have a lot of experience, and your analysis is very detailed, which I very like. Yeah, for some it might look nerdy, but that's what is beautiful in it: everyone can tell "I don't like it", but only professionals can tell why, and what exactly is wrong with it. This is what makes your review so special.

As to the milliseconds: yeah, for most people such a time scale might seem impossible to perceive, but it is possible to train oneself to perceive it, and good musicians can spot such slight time differences, because rhythm is very important in music. All those sine waves with different wavelengths and frequencies have to fit together precisely as hell, or they will beat and wobble and sound horribly together.

@@BrilliantVenture, brilliant analysis! You've expressed everything I couldn't express myself due to lack of experience in making music. But you seem to have a lot of experience, and your analysis is very detailed, which I very like. Yeah, for some it might look nerdy, but that's what is beautiful in it: everyone can tell "I don't like it", but only professionals can tell why, and what exactly is wrong with it. This is what makes your review so special.

As to the milliseconds: yeah, for most people such a time scale might seem impossible to perceive, but it is possible to train oneself to perceive it, and good musicians can spot such slight time differences, because rhythm is very important in music. All those sine waves with different wavelengths and frequencies have to fit together precisely as hell, or they will beat and wobble and sound horribly together.

lol thank you for your endorsement! means a lot! :) 

But yeah, like, on the whole quantinization point, for a lot of producers (myself included) we have like, some "Unspoken rules" that we have to go by every time we make a track...For instance, everything needs to be precisely in sync, and on time, or else the DJs that play our records will have trouble beatmatching them. Or bpm (beats per minute) standards based on genre...For instance, dubstep's standard bpm is 140, along with trance. House is around 128, and drum and bass 174-175bpm. Of course there's always exceptions, but generally there's just somethings you have to do when making EDM. Some of the rules get broken, and if they're broken the right way, it can sound really good...but the wrong way? and you get this remix...something that sounds unfinished, unpolished, and a little on the cheap side. BUT with the fantastic music used in "Pinkie Pride" yesterday, I think it's more than enough to let Ingram slide for this one ;) 

• Brohoof 1

Orbital Hooves hit the nail on the head for me! The remix is indeed pretty catchy, which I liked, but shouldn't replace the original, as the remix better fits the setting of the movie, and not the series.

That being said, I would love to hear an extended version of the remix!

Edited by Hypn0ticD
  • Brohoof 1

I thought the remix was great, it really got me interested. It gives me chills sometimes when I hear/watch it

But as much as I like the remix, I love the original way more. It's so charming, catchy, and upbeat. Compared to other MLP themes it just sounds more adventurous and appealing but also cute. I love listening to it every week! Some people think it's too girly but hey if you heard the other generation themes you'd notice a big difference.