Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Save Flash Sentry!

Dashabel

Well, Flash saved as a background character who has absolutely no effect on the story line! :) I hope you satisfied, because I am totally satisfied.

Honestly I was pleasantly surprised by his appearance in today's episode. Kinda wish that he could have said Hi to Twilight and/or vice versa but there wasn't any room in the plot to do that. Oh well.

It was more than the fans were expecting, although I am pretty sure that I heard rumors that he could be a background character.

But it does mean that he is an actual character in the series and he could have a speaking role in the series if the writers wanted to do that. We will see what happens. Not getting my hopes up, but still.

Honestly I was pleasantly surprised by his appearance in today's episode. Kinda wish that he could have said Hi to Twilight and/or vice versa but there wasn't any room in the plot to do that. Oh well.

It was more than the fans were expecting, although I am pretty sure that I heard rumors that he could be a background character.

But it does mean that he is an actual character in the series and he could have a speaking role in the series if the writers wanted to do that. We will see what happens. Not getting my hopes up, but still.

his appearance in the episode might foreshadow a future role for him. I¡m not fond of him, but I have yet to give up to him as a potentially good character

• Brohoof 1

his appearance in the episode might foreshadow a future role for him. I¡m not fond of him, but I have yet to give up to him as a potentially good character

I am not fond of the fact that he was based of the romantic stu trope in Equestria Girls. I do not mind that he was a romantic interest at all but I do mind that there wasn't any room in the movie to make him a real character from scratch instead of using a trope to make there less of a reason to develop him, you know?

But he can start from scratch in the regular series. He doesn't need to be used the same way in the regular series as he was used in the first EqG movie. I would like foe there to be romance but there is room in the regular series for it to be dome right.

• Brohoof 1

I am not fond of the fact that he was based of the romantic stu trope in Equestria Girls. I do not mind that he was a romantic interest at all but I do mind that there wasn't any room in the movie to make him a real character from scratch instead of using a trope to make there less of a reason to develop him, you know?

But he can start from scratch in the regular series. He doesn't need to be used the same way in the regular series as he was used in the first EqG movie. I would like foe there to be romance but there is room in the regular series for it to be dome right.

yeah, if he has a bigger role in the series, there's no excuse for not developing him, they managed with Derpy after the whole controversy back in season 2, I'm sure they can do it with him, in season 5 maybe

Didn't Flash Sentry make an appearance in "Three's A Crowd"?

And, at the end, he paused and glanced at Twilight with a pleasant expression on his face.

Plus Meaghan said that Equestria Girls actually happened and is part of Twilight's experiences in her life.

Flash Sentry is very canon, even making an appearance in the television series.

Sure, he might not have character development, but he's there.

Equestria Girls wasn't about Flash Sentry. It was about Twilight growing into her role as a princess when she was doubtful that she could be a leader at all, let alone the leader of a kingdom. Flash Sentry was a side character and a love interest for Twilight. Of COURSE Big Mac and Shining Armor have more development than he does. They are the two most prominent male characters in the television series, which has way more running time and opportunities for development than a secondary role in a movie where, for the first half hour, the character hasn't even been introduced yet.

As for me, I'm excited to see how Flash Sentry is expanded on in the TV series.

• Brohoof 2

And, at the end, he paused and glanced at Twilight with a pleasant expression on his face.

Plus Meaghan said that Equestria Girls actually happened and is part of Twilight's experiences in her life.

Flash Sentry is very canon, even making an appearance in the television series.

Sure, he might not have character development, but he's there.

Equestria Girls wasn't about Flash Sentry. It was about Twilight growing into her role as a princess when she was doubtful that she could be a leader at all, let alone the leader of a kingdom. Flash Sentry was a side character and a love interest for Twilight. Of COURSE Big Mac and Shining Armor have more development than he does. They are the two most prominent male characters in the television series, which has way more running time and opportunities for development than a secondary role in a movie where, for the first half hour, the character hasn't even been introduced yet.

As for me, I'm excited to see how Flash Sentry is expanded on in the TV series.

Like like like like like like

Meghan promised us that he wouldn't be a "character" in season 4. But there were rumors of a cameo, as the idea of a cameo wasn't technically ruled out of Meghan's declaration that he wouldn't be a character in season 4. Chances are, though, that the animators threw him in there for shits and giggles. Which I love. For so many reasons.

Mainly because him appearing in the series is proof that EqG IS canon and that we can't just pretend that Flash Sentry isn't a real character. It gives opportunity in the show to show male characters and develop them. It gives an opportunity to introduce romance into the show in a reasonable amount of space and not crammed into a 72 minute movie that wasn't even ABOUT romance.

I really want to write a scene about Flash Sentry playing the guitar for Twilight and they sing together. As ponies. If ponies can't play the guitar then we can pick a similar instrument. But still, that would be cute. :3

• Brohoof 2

Sorry, but as much I like Flash Sentry (with the info given to us), I have to decline. He needs more character development and an established persona to the series and as Twilight's love interest before he can have a protogonist or deuteragoanist role.

Like like like like like like

Meghan promised us that he wouldn't be a "character" in season 4. But there were rumors of a cameo, as the idea of a cameo wasn't technically ruled out of Meghan's declaration that he wouldn't be a character in season 4. Chances are, though, that the animators threw him in there for shits and giggles. Which I love. For so many reasons.

Mainly because him appearing in the series is proof that EqG IS canon and that we can't just pretend that Flash Sentry isn't a real character. It gives opportunity in the show to show male characters and develop them. It gives an opportunity to introduce romance into the show in a reasonable amount of space and not crammed into a 72 minute movie that wasn't even ABOUT romance.

I really want to write a scene about Flash Sentry playing the guitar for Twilight and they sing together. As ponies. If ponies can't play the guitar then we can pick a similar instrument. But still, that would be cute. :3

I can't belive how much I hate this idea...

• Brohoof 1

I doubt that Flash Sentry would have a stronger role than Shining Armor or Big Mac.

Or maybe they'll get married in the series finale. :wub:

And then Gen 5 will be one their daughters as a main character. B)

Edited by MintyStarshine
  • Brohoof 1

I can't belive how much I hate this idea...

Give me 3 rational reasons why you hate it.

I don't feel the need to defend my own not-hatred of Flash Sentry. But I am honestly curious if a way to get them to bond together in a real way could actually logically be a bad idea.

Sorry, but as much I like Flash Sentry (with the info given to us), I have to decline. He needs more character development and an established persona to the series and as Twilight's love interest before he can have a protogonist or deuteragoanist role.

And you get that character development by what? I feel like by some people's standards the only way that Twilight or anyone else could be with a stallion is if the stallion had been in the beginning, equally developed with the rest of the mane cast, the whole time. Character development can happen while relating with a mane character... granted there are ways that a romantic relationship between them could be written badly. It is not automatic. But it is not impossible.

With pleasure milady, I can give even more than 3 reasons:

1. Adding a romantic line in the plot will make a huge imbalance in the relationship between mane 6. It's can hurt to their friendship.

2. It's cartoon about friendship, not about love. Romantic line will destroy the "Harmony" of this cartoon.

3. Romantic line in kids cartoon never was a good idea (Vin x for example) Chip&Dale was so successful, because they didn't answer the main question: "With whom will stay Gadget".

4. The target audience is children, and children should be children, they do not need to see a romantic relationship between the painted horses (personally my opinion)

5. It's would be too brutal action against  all Twilight fans.

6. Twilight is my waifu so...
  • Brohoof 1

I don't feel the need to defend my own not-hatred of Flash Sentry. But I am honestly curious if a way to get them to bond together in a real way could actually logically be a bad idea.

And you get that character development by what? I feel like by some people's standards the only way that Twilight or anyone else could be with a stallion is if the stallion had been in the beginning, equally developed with the rest of the mane cast, the whole time. Character development can happen while relating with a mane character... granted there are ways that a romantic relationship between them could be written badly. It is not automatic. But it is not impossible.

I guess I wasn't clear enough, sorry about that. The first comment i made probably didn't make my statement valid enough. Looking back at my previous comment, it seems the points are put together pretty badly. So thanks for pointing my flaws out. 

But to clarify, the character persona given to us in Equestria Girls of Flash Sentry was great, don't get me wrong. But I wish the writers gave us more scenes than what was given showing him and Twilight's relationship in the EG movie so that through the production process they are able to see the importance for him to be Season 4.  Thereby further making him an established love interest. 

Then again, I did see in the last episode showing Flash Sentry making a side ways glance that was obviously aimed at Twilight.  post-24271-0-35450600-1391293702_thumb.png

Maybe the writers are giving us a few hints that he may be returning. Until then we'll see. :)

Edited by IHasTwi

1. Adding a romantic line in the plot will make a huge imbalance in the relationship between mane 6. It's can hurt to their friendship.

2. It's cartoon about friendship, not about love. Romantic line will destroy the "Harmony" of this cartoon.

3. Romantic line in kids cartoon never was a good idea (Vin x for example) Chip&Dale was so successful, because they didn't answer the main question: "With whom will stay Gadget".

4. The target audience is children, and children should be children, they do not need to see a romantic relationship between the painted horses (personally my opinion)

5. It's would be too brutal action against  all Twilight fans.

1. It depends on how they handle it. Cadence, while a secondary character and not part of the main ponies, doesn't seem to be swept away from others due to her relationship. She's only separated and lacking time because of the distance from Ponyville to the Crystal Empire and her duties as princess and ruler of that kingdom.
  2. Romance could only break up the friendship of the Mane Six if Twilight and Flash broke up in a bad way, causing the Mane Six to choose sides between the couple. This is the only way in real life that I've ever seen friendships harmed by romantic relationships.
  3. Rescue Rangers was successful because it was a good kid's cartoon with fun, interesting plots and characters with depth. Tale Spin and other cartoons that appeared around that time were also successful for those same reasons. Rescue Rangers wasn't successful purely because they failed to pair Gadget off with one of the male characters. The success achieved by not doing that was creating a strong female character who wasn't just a cardboard cut-out love interest for the two main title characters. Twilight is already a strong character. She can remain a strong character and still be in a romantic relationship. Being in a romantic relationship does not render a female weak.
  4. Many other cartoons show romantic relationships, including children's programming. Technically, MLP has already shown relationships. Rarity had a crush on Blue Blood and wanted to marry him. In an upcoming episode, she again has a crush on a male character. The Cakes are married and have children. Cadence and Shining Armor are also married. Big Mac and Cheerilee were in a "relationship" albeit forced by a love potion. The show has already done romance.
  5. Because the show is required to pander to the people who have crushes on Twilight and the writers forced to bend to their will? I don't see Twilight growing up and becoming involved in a relationship as a problem for fans, unless the relationship is unhealthy. I do not see how this would be a slap in the face for fans or an action against them.
  • Brohoof 1

Personally, I see flash human and flash pony as two different characters, and while I strongly dislike man flash, I feel that they could and should be portrayed as two different characters with merely similar design. I think it would make more sense for the show to have romance, or at least have a little romance and leave the rest to the fan fictions. And to anyone who says "it's a kids show, kids can't handle romance...." Not true in the slightest. When I was a kid I was shipping before the writers were. Kids are all fanboys and fa girls, and unless it gets all " sappy and smoochy," which MLP romances don't seen to have any danger of, kids will receive romance with just as much or more of the enthusiasm of the jealous waifu holders and bronies alike. And don't say I don't know, because I live in a house full of " the target audience" and they are better shippers than I am.

5. It's would be too brutal action against all Twilight fans.

That 6th one has no rational thought to it at all whatsoever and paints the rest of this post as an excuse to not have romance just because you don't like the idea of Twilight being happy with a character in the show instead of you.

Minty summed it up pretty nicely and it would be a shame to not reply to it of you are going to keep posting in this thread.

No one is saying that you have to change your mind. Just realize that what may objectively work for the show may not match with your personal biases. Just because you personally would not like to see your waifu taken it doesn't mean that having her be romantically taken by someone in the show is not objectively bad.

I want to add my own points to your post as well.

My main ones being:

1. Romance that also has friendship is a great thing for kids to see

2. Balancing romance with your friendships is a wonderful lesson for kids to learn.

If the little girls who watch this show see Twilight and Flash Sentry have a healthy relationship that does not forget Twilights friends (hint: the writers will keep the mane 6 intact) then girls might learn from that and remember it in their own lives. They can see that their friendships with their best girlfriends should not be forgotten just because a boy is in the picture. They will also see that romance is actually friendship with feelings. People need to know, from an early age, that romantic partners are friends too. They just have some extra benefits. ;) I mean, if I was not friends with my husband, I would not be marries to the guy. I could not be married to someone who did not share a kind of friendship with me.

Another thing: going along with how the writers should not bend to the every will of every fan (hint: they don't), just because fans don't want something it doesn't mean that it should not happen. No fans were asking for Twilight to become a princess. At least in the case of Flash Sentry, if they did ever get together, some fans would get something that they want.

• Brohoof 1

Here's the source for Meaghan's tweet, confirming Equestria Girls as canon.

Does it need to be sourced for every page of the thread? It was on page four. o_O

Meaghan's tweet and his appearance in a recent episode confirms his place as a canon character. Maybe you didn't like him. Maybe you hated Equestria Girls. Opinions on an MLP forum don't change that Flash is considered part of the MLP universe and has made an appearance in the show now.

My only points have been that Flash is canon and that romance has not only been explored in MLP (Hearts and Hooves Day anyone?) but that Twilight being in a romantic relationship does not take her strong character and automatically make her weak. Unless the relationship ends poorly, there is no need for it to destroy her friendships with the other Mane Six.

And of course Flash needs development. And I'd welcome Lyra development too. Or heck even Pinkie's family. I like character development. For any character. Is that a bad thing?

As for marketing, the entire show is marketing for the toys. If you want to break it down, all of their pets are marketing, the Crystal Empire, Cadence and Shining Armor, the royal wedding, and all of season four are also all marketing tools to sell toys. That's the entire show. The entire show is a marketing tool to sell toys. That's what it always has been. That's what Hasbro does, from MLP to Transformers and GI Joe to the newly acquired Strawberry Shortcake and Littlest Pet Shop toylines. It's all marketing and it's all meant to sell a product. That's how Hasbro operates and how it has always operated.

Also, who is mad? o_O

• Brohoof 2

Here's the source for Meaghan's tweet, confirming Equestria Girls as canon.

Does it need to be sourced for every page of the thread? It was on page four. o_O

Meaghan's tweet and his appearance in a recent episode confirms his place as a canon character. Maybe you didn't like him. Maybe you hated Equestria Girls. Opinions on an MLP forum don't change that Flash is considered part of the MLP universe and has made an appearance in the show now.

My only points have been that Flash is canon and that romance has not only been explored in MLP (Hearts and Hooves Day anyone?) but that Twilight being in a romantic relationship does not take her strong character and automatically make her weak. Unless the relationship ends poorly, there is no need for it to destroy her friendships with the other Mane Six.

And of course Flash needs development. And I'd welcome Lyra development too. Or heck even Pinkie's family. I like character development. For any character. Is that a bad thing?

As for marketing, the entire show is marketing for the toys. If you want to break it down, all of their pets are marketing, the Crystal Empire, Cadence and Shining Armor, the royal wedding, and all of season four are also all marketing tools to sell toys. That's the entire show. The entire show is a marketing tool to sell toys. That's what it always has been. That's what Hasbro does, from MLP to Transformers and GI Joe to the newly acquired Strawberry Shortcake and Littlest Pet Shop toylines. It's all marketing and it's all meant to sell a product. That's how Hasbro operates and how it has always operated.

Also, who is mad? o_O

That was literally the vaguest tweet ever, the premise is essentially "she learned something and that carries over I guess", and honestly. Some little turd of an animator pestering her to place him in isn't really an appearance on the show. It's a little turd of an animator pestering him to place him in and getting what he wants.

Aside from the fact that Lauren Faust thinks romance is one of the worst things to ever happen to main characters in a childrens television show (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Creator/LaurenFaust), it's also bad because it's entirely unfitting. Don't mail me some social justice warrior bullshit either about how UR JUST STEREOTYPIN HIM. Everything about his character was crystal clear, from the Camaro, to the guitar, to the hair and jacket and complete lack of a personality (and this is where we tie into marketing) he's just a clever and well executed attempt at getting the tween girl demographic in full swing. After all, what girl doesn't want to be a princess and have her prince charming? and with all of that, what personality can you possibly expect them to sculpt, when the sculpting material is shit and the tools given are a shovel and a frying pan. Having him be the love interest for Twilight is so hilariously unfitting that by the same metric we should have Applejack fall in love with someone from the inner city who hates nature and hard work. All giving Twilight a love interest would prove in the end (especially a generic pretty boy who might as well be Justin Bieber) is that this is ever more the Twilight Sparkle Show, a show about a pretty princess mary sue and her gary stu, and less about literally anyone else. I find it funny how, people will bash and moan and complain (and often rightfully so) about art, be it pornographic or not, which has someone's OC in some sort of romantic situation with a main character, for literally no reason other than the guy wanted his OC in, and usually the OC has extremely obnoxious color design and hair as well. But when the creators of the show make what is essentially a self-insert OC except made of marketing mojo, and give him one of the most obnoxious color schemes aside from blue and green, people will crawl from the woodwork to defend it and say he needs to be developed.

Also hell, before you bring it up. Don't even try to give me the "but he's like Shining Armor!" argument. Shining Armor has just as much of a generic pretty boy 11cool19me personality as Bradley seems to exude, and if Shining Armor wasn't Twilight's brother and we put him in the exact same situation as Brad, I would say the exact same damned thing.

Sorry but, some characters just don't deserve development.

Edited by Hell Patrol
  • Brohoof 1

Don't mail me some social justice warrior bullshit either about how UR JUST STEREOTYPIN HIM.

I find it funny how, people will bash and moan and complain (and often rightfully so) about art, be it pornographic or not, which has someone's OC in some sort of romantic situation with a main character, for literally no reason other than the guy wanted his OC in, and usually the OC has extremely obnoxious color design and hair as well.

Also hell, before you bring it up. Don't even try to give me the "but he's like Shining Armor!" argument.

*applauds*

I totally brought all of these up and was totally going to bring all of these up. By bringing them up before I was, you have intervened on my unapologetic and deity-like worship of Flash Sentry and taught me the error of my ways because before this moment I was not only willing to die for Flash Sentry but also willing to hate every OC that dared pair themselves with my precious Twilight and paint Flash in an incestuous light by comparing him to Shining Armor.

By totally bringing these up before I had a chance to do it myself, you have saved me and shown me the light. How ever will I live with myself for having someone assume my future points in a discussion and be so on target that I am left with nothing but emptiness and loneliness. Because you told me that I was going to bring these up, I must betray my beloved Flash and love no male characters in a show ever because all they do is break my heart when someone on the internet assumes my opinions before I have a chance to speak.

Oh wait. :P

• Brohoof 1

I actually like Flash Sentry. He seems pretty cool and I like his mane. I'd have no issue with him being romantic with Twilight Sparkle. And before"lol but she's my waifu he can't steal her" nonsense, she does NOT belong to you.

Edited by Bright

*applauds*

I totally brought all of these up and was totally going to bring all of these up. By bringing them up before I was, you have intervened on my unapologetic and deity-like worship of Flash Sentry and taught me the error of my ways because before this moment I was not only willing to die for Flash Sentry but also willing to hate every OC that dared pair themselves with my precious Twilight and paint Flash in an incestuous light by comparing him to Shining Armor.

By totally bringing these up before I had a chance to do it myself, you have saved me and shown me the light. How ever will I live with myself for having someone assume my future points in a discussion and be so on target that I am left with nothing but emptiness and loneliness. Because you told me that I was going to bring these up, I must betray my beloved Flash and love no male characters in a show ever because all they do is break my heart when someone on the internet assumes my opinions before I have a chance to speak.

Oh wait. :P

9/11

Good non-argument, needs more dodge.