Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you have trouble making a good first impression?

ReGen

Generally speaking I do not have any real difficulty, if it's a professional environment I do pretty well. In just about ever instance it's just a matter of being polite and friendly, I cannot think of any instances where that was not the case. 

That's the one thing that I'm actually good at, I think. If the person I'm trying to leave a good impression on satisfies my interests, I WILL go all out and make sure they want to keep contact with me.

I guess so, but only because I don't like talking to people I don't know, which makes it hard for me to get to know people and therefore I don't talk to many people. I know I failed to hang out with my flat mates over my first year at university and as a result, by the end of the year they were all best friends and are actually living together next year but I still barely know them and can't wait to move in with my friends.

• 1 year later...

Of course I do. I'm always very shy and bad at speaking to others face to face, especially for the first time. I guess that's why others always think I'm weird. Your first impression will always be your last impression to them.

• Brohoof 2

Not at all, but the second impression is different matter altogether :-D 

At first I come across as this slightly reserved, polite dude who chitchat with everyone, compliment things and helps do the dishes afterwards. The second time I meet someone I'm more relaxed, bubbly and unleash all my stupid jokes. My friend once said that the second time he met me he thought that I had been drinking :-P 

Seriously tho, if it's formal situation like a job interview or I otherwise want to look good, I find it rather easy to leave decent impression of myself.

• 3 months later...

I don't know, it kinda depends on who it is, but for the most part I don't have trouble with it. I DO sometimes over analyze and wonder if I said the right things or not afterwards, though. I honestly don't know anyone who doesn't. :twi:

Edited by Lucky Bolt

• 8 months later...

I do when it comes to working. When I start a new job, I am always incredibly quiet and come across like I am too nervous to say a word. I can’t help it... It usually takes me a few months to get comfortable enough to come out and be the real, sociable, fun me.

• 2 years later...

Terrible time, I've got a book of mental issues I "deal with" (lol that may be up for debate to some people) and a lot of time I just want to feel comfortable being myself but then I progressively get more and more emotional, and these feelings are often involuntary, so if I feel to comfortable, I'll just say anything, although I've always been like that. I ramble and I have a lot of none stop thoughts... I really feel like I have to lead people to the points I'm trying to make, because otherwise without their sheer interest have it be negative at that, I don't have any way of just coming right out and saying the things I won't to tell them, nor do I believe they would care without all the proper context involved... So sometimes I feel like it's the appropriate thing to do to make a "lasting impression" whether it's good or bad either way so they we can take the time to make it good all around in my final and present impression...

I'm a super emotional person, but I'm really strong and capable, just unstable...

Only have one chance to make a first impression. I have succeeded a few times, but also failed a lot of times. I have failed the most while talking in a telephone with new people.

1 minute ago, Magic Note said:

I have that same issue too @Clawdeen. It's impossible for me to tell if I made a good first impression or not.

Yeah It’s hard. I go in there with a game plan of what I’ll say and do. I’ll envision and plan everything out. Then when the time comes I’m nervous. When I get nervous sometimes things come out weird and not how I wanted to say it. Or I just won’t know what to say at all and stand there awkwardly smiling. Then I overthink the entire situation after it’s over.

Do they like me? Did it go well? Did it not go well? Why did I do that?

• Brohoof 1

I have a specific rule with first impressions. If there is no merriment within the first few minutes, then the relationship will go nowhere. So first impressions I tend to try and be friendly, easy-going and polite. If they reciprocate then I've made a good impression. :catface:

I love people! So it's very easy for me to be polite, cordial and warm towards anyone who isn't mean spirited. Definitely still am kind and warm towards those as well, you'd really have to push some serious boundaries for me to have less than a pleasant impression :laugh:

I’m not very good at making first impressions. For me, it’s hard to figure out what to say and how to act around others as I try to figure out how they act and how to match them, especially online, given that it’s harder for me to interpret tone through text. I tend to be better at later impressions.

I’m thankful @Magical Mare and her friends are still able to be friends with me even if I made less than ideal first impressions. Because of this, I try not to let my first impressions determine what I think of others too much.