Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rainbow Dash/Fluttershy kiss

Fluttershutter

I really doubt the writers could have actually put that there.

As a huge flutterdash fan, I really don't think there was anything in that scene, sure people could argue of that sound effect of what appears to be a kissing sound, but who knows, maybe that was by accident.

Then again, I WOULD love if this was cannon, however, since this is intentionally for little girls besides bronies, this can't be purely possible.  

• Brohoof 1

But none of them are pegusi racing at mach 5, are they?  It isn't the fact that she has a long tail, but that she has a long tail despite it being a liability.

But there are other reasons why she could keep it that way.  She could just like how it looks.  Maybe she likes the visual flair it gives when she's doing her tricks.  Rainbow isn't *all* about speed, but also style and coolness factor too.

I seriously LOL'd when I saw the comments about stereotypes. It's a TV show for little girls for heaven's sakes!!! Of course they're going to use stereotypes, there wouldn't be a point if you had to rationalize something. In TV shows, especially in animated ones, they rely heavily on stereotypes to convey messages about stuff, especially personality.

All the evidence shows that MLP:FiM makes a lot of use of stereotypes about everything; why would this be the only place where stereotypes were abandoned because

There are plenty of long haired, feminine women who are lesbians

?

My response to this: After watching the clip, it obviously is NOT a kiss, nor is it even possible (their snouts were never that close to each other). And I don't think the devs would put that sort of stuff in anyway, not for their targeted demographic. They do have a rating to maintain, you know.

• Brohoof 1

But there are other reasons why she could keep it that way.  She could just like how it looks.  Maybe she likes the visual flair it gives when she's doing her tricks.  Rainbow isn't *all* about speed, but also style and coolness factor too.

I can conciede to that possibility, though her wanting a bit of male attention is the most likely reason I think.  Since we couldn't go with the obvious method of knowing her orientation, we have to go by circumstantial evidence.

No, I do not think it was meant to be romantic at all. It really gets on my nerves when people immediately judge a kiss as a romantic gesture, because it doesn't have to be! Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy are just best friends that care about each other, and Rainbow was just showing how caring she is by kissing her on the nose. It was only meant to be a sweet moment between two friends! There's no need to over-analyse it! dry.png

Besides, I know a lot of people nowadays that kiss their friends. It's perfectly normal for them to do that, and they're not in love, are they?

Okay okay okay, this is definitely NO kiss. I find it HIGHLY unlikely they'd ever put something like that in a kids show.. And it's happened before with other ponies, yet the second it happens with Rainbow Dash everyone says "IT'S A KISS!" I just find that a bit funny.

It wasn't really a romantic kiss or a kiss at all. Usually, the kiss would have to have meaning to it and a reason behind it but it did come out of nowhere after all. So, not a real kiss.

Really? NO support for the cuteness??

Okay, I'll just say a few more things:

I know there's no frame where their lips actually touch. Like I said, plausible deniability. Look at their expressions frame by frame.

As for the context isn't it kind of odd that there was a scene in the middle of a battle that was just the two of them interacting? And there was no real reason for her to pick Fluttershy up like that. She wasn't injured or anything.

No, I do not think it was meant to be romantic at all. It really gets on my nerves when people immediately judge a kiss as a romantic gesture, because it doesn't have to be! Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy are just best friends that care about each other, and Rainbow was just showing how caring she is by kissing her on the nose. It was only meant to be a sweet moment between two friends! There's no need to over-analyse it! img-1620031-1-dry.png

Besides, I know a lot of people nowadays that kiss their friends. It's perfectly normal for them to do that, and they're not in love, are they?

True but Raimbow Dash isn't especially comfortable with affection. I really doubt she'd kiss friends in a platonic way.

• Brohoof 1

I know there's no frame where their lips actually touch. Like I said, plausible deniability. Look at their expressions frame by frame.

As for the context isn't it kind of odd that there was a scene in the middle of a battle that was just the two of them interacting? And there was no real reason for her to pick Fluttershy up like that. She wasn't injured or anything.

True but Raimbow Dash isn't especially comfortable with affection. I really doubt she'd kiss friends in a platonic way.

You are right about that, but I think Rainbow Dash does an affectionate heart deep down. She just covers it up behind her bold and brave image. 

• 4 weeks later...

Although I'm completely against the idea that it matters, it's true that this would be one of the first kid's shows that would include homosexuality. It would get a lot of attention, and all publicity is good publicity.

• 1 year later...

As for the context isn't it kind of odd that there was a scene in the middle of a battle that was just the two of them interacting? And there was no real reason for her to pick Fluttershy up like that. She wasn't injured or anything.

I was honestly agreeing with all the people against it being a kiss at first. I never thought it was either on my own. But I noticed their expressions too. Thank you for finally making a solid argument on my side. I'm definitely sticking to that idea now. But I'll need to watch this episode again. Everyone's made me curious about this "kising sound". Edited by ZomBrony

I think it was supposed to be a joke. It's clearly made to look and sound like a kiss. Of course, frame by frame it does not appear they kiss but in real time it definitely looks like it. They knew exactly what they were doing ;)

• Brohoof 1

Considering the battle conditions, something like that was completely normal. Rainbow was relieved to know her friend was okay, and Fluttershy was relieved she wasn't dead.

Remember it's Fluttershy we're talking about: She's struggled to do a lot of normal things with no physical injury whatsoever. She's a weakling, albeit a lovable one, and RD knows this. I know lots of people sitting down have no trouble getting up, but that doesn't mean I won't lend them a hand. It's a nice gesture, and something a lot of people commonly do among friends. It's especially understanding if they're in the thick of battle that one strong soldier would help another up, even if he had fallen down without further injury.

• Brohoof 1

It's not really so much of a kiss more so than a rather amusing joke in the fandom. While they did look like they were, the chances of homosexuality being featured in MLP:FiM is slim. Plus, that said frame is one of those blink-and-you'll-miss-it moments, so I wouldn't think that even the animators would notice this. :P

1. Why would they randomly kiss during the middle of a battle for their lives?

2. They never make actual lips contact.

3. It is a kids show. Why would they shoehorn a kiss into the situation?

The sound you hear is more likely an unfortunate sound used in relation to Fluttershy being picked up. Not a kiss.

even if it was a kiss (and I don't think it is) two girls kissing automatically equals homosexuality? Ok. so girls/ women can't kiss their female family members or friends without someone screaming that it's gay? ok....ok....whatever you say.

As to kissing in public.  2 girls can, 2 guys can't unless they're European. (See the video, Dash is gay -or European)

2nd, you want to go down this road, why pick that scene?  Try this scene. Can't recall the episode, the one where Dash is talking to F while she is in bed.  She is blushing & covering herself until Dash points out she's usually naked & thus being ridiculous.

Which brings to mind the scene in Best Night Ever.  The ponies are getting dressed, Spike wants to come into the room.  Rarity is scandalized & forbids it.  AJ points out they don't usually wear clothes (thus implying R is being silly) & R retorts "Some of us do have standards."  One of R's Best Line Ever!

• Brohoof 1

I think people are just taking things out of context. Sure the clip may look like they're kissing, but flash isn't the most expensive and detailed animation software.