Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

You Know Photoshop?

Zero000

I've just wanted to open a discussion and see how many of you guys know your stuff about the amazing program we call Photoshop. Tell us how much you know about it, and what you're capable of.

I have it, but I haven't given myself time to learn it.

I use it quite often and know my way around it, although because of my restricted creative abilities I can't really use it to it's full extent.

I high extend, I actually took real life classes. So I am technically a "professional" photoshopper. Although I am very rusty considering my low practice in it.

Also these classes never helped me make a signatures or avatars. :(

• Brohoof 1

Actually, I've never even tried Photoshop before (i make all of my pony vectors using Flash)

I'd love to be able to use it though. It looks like an amazing tool! It's just so expensive :(

Maybe I should consider taking a class about it next semester or something...

I know a little bit about it, and use it occasionally (usually when I'm bored or tampering with my digital photos), but generally I prefer Illustrator for drawing vectors (as I find it to have a huge speed advantage over Photoshop), and Paint Tool SAI for sketching/digital painting (which has a simpler, easier to use interface).

Edited by joeyh3

i do a lot of photoshop in school since im studying media and communications so i know my way around it and what i can do with it. im also using it a bit to draw but i prefer pain tool sai for drawing a illustrator for vectors ^^

I've been using Photoshop for about 7 years. I basically self-taught myself with the aid of many online tutorials. Generally I make logos and sigs/avatars. I wouldn't consider myself an artist though as I am not incredibly creative.

Edited by Vex3d

Used to be quite good at tuning manga cars (if anybody remembers/knows them). Self-learned Photoshop quite well for them, that was years ago though and I'm sure I'd have to start from scratch again, but really no point for me, I'm just bad at drawing.

I have only used it in school, with no Photoshop version for Linux i cannot natively use it at home XD i don't own any version of it and don't plan on anytime soon, sure i could pirate it but why? i got free legal software like GIMP that does everything i would ever need to do with a tool like Photoshop and more. no need for stealing. i don't need need to pay $1000 to do stuff that i can accomplish with free and open source software.

As for skills, i can move stuff, make selections, make layers, apply filters, and do general things, i say i have average ok skills.

really not much a graphics artist, but when i need to edit images i use GIMP, it works great for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I took some classes back in High School to learn some little tricks here and there, but most of my experience is self taught! Goggle is also your best friend at these kinds of things! I currently run a mobile version of CS5 on my computer setup!

Don't know much... I learned a little over the course of a week while on visit at a graphical designer education-place.

I use gimp a little bit to make simple stuff when I'm bored, but I wouldn't buy Photoshop even though I thought it a bit better, well not at that price anyway. Especially not when I have to save up to upgrade my computer and buy so many other programs and games and a few new monitors and... You get the point ;)

I took a year-long Digital Photography class in Freshman year. The class in general sucked, but at least I went out of it with a decent amount of Photoshop knowledge.

So yeah, I'm pretty good with selection tools, managing layers, masking and the like, but I'd still like to get better at drawing stuff from scratch.

I can't afford Photoshop at home, but even if I could, I have no clue why I would. GIMP is just as good unless you're one of the few people that actually use Photoshop to its absolute full extent.

(edited)

I am sad that layers cannot have double vector layer masks -Raster mask+Vector mask just isn't the same- and how awkward it is to change the projection resolution for OBJ UVW painting, but CS4's 3D paint feature is nonetheless very useful, I like using it in conjunction with Mudbox.

If you can understand those things, then you know that I do know things of Photoshop.

However I know very little about Photo Finish's cousin Photo Shop.

Edited by Blue

I have used it, mainly back in school.. I never got the hang of it, but i did get some little things done in it and this is one of them:

Posted Image

Also, just a while ago i randomly decided to download GIMP in order make a banner i can use here. First i just messed around with filters to create the background, but then i got an idea, but no ability make this idea reality. So i googled "How to make a gif in GIMP". Maybe i should have spent more time on it, but i got impatient and the finished product is a bit lacking as you can see in my signature.

I know about it, I used it a fair amount in comm tech last semester, I wouldn't say i'm good with it though, I needed the teacher's help for a lot of things, and we used Flash even more

I took classes on photoshop back in High School and continued to self teach after I got it on my personal computer. I mostly use it for photo editing and improving certain asthetic qualities of graphics, but I know alot of the tricks and tools for complex projects as well :P

Used it once, and didn't make any sense, Is it just me, or is it the fact that I suck with visual art?

Here's my general layout of time spent in photoshop per session:

>Add filter

>Add filter

>Crop

>Recolour

>More filters

>Filter

>Add stroke

>Get rid of it because it looks gross

>mfw:

post-2141-0-16186400-1331179622.gif

Used it once, and didn't make any sense, Is it just me, or is it the fact that I suck with visual art?

As with anything, you just need practice. There's a definite learning curve to the program and only using it once isn't going to help overcome that.

Online tutorials are a BIG help.