Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The 4th of July: Americas 2,013th Birthday? *pukes*

Dark Moon

Has anyone here seen the movie "Idiocracy"? That's what modern America is like. I literally raged when I saw those tweets. How motherfucking stupid can you be? In the age of the internet too...seriously! I've lost even more faith in humanity...

• Brohoof 1

Really?

REALLY?

People say "In the year of our lord, 2013", NOT "In the year of our America, 2013" XD

It makes me even more ashamed to be an American *facepalm*

• Brohoof 1

I would have laughed at this as well, actually, if I didn't actually know people like this in the real world. There are really people this dense. These people do exist, don't count it out as not being real yet. Although I can definitely see a few of them as being trolls, but I bet some are for real. Still makes us look bad either way. Way to call everyone stupid, btw. Also, why would you see fracing explanations about how long they have been in the country/ peoples opinions. It's twitter. 

I never blatantly called anyone stupid, but it's very tempted. And why should you be judging me when there are people that call these obvious trolls stupid, and all the people bashing the United States only because they believe that these people are for real? And I'm sorry if you think you know people in the real world that are like this, but I'm highly sure it's just an overreaction.

(edited)

@,@@Edgeworth1001, @, @,@, @, @@SpadesOfDarkness,  

I'm gonna go ahead and say this again: they don't actually think that. It's a joke. A meme. A thing you copy+paste to try and get retweets and followers. I mean, just look at how similar many of them are. You see that? That's because it's a joke. Nothing more, nothing less. Stop using this to convey the "Americans are stupid" bandwagon through something that's supposed to be funny because they act like they are stupid. If anybody here is an idiot, it's probably one of you.

So now, every time you bash the U.S. because of a joke like this, or perhaps the spelling of "color," or "aluminum," remember: you are the one being an uninformed oaf.

Edited by Jverne
  • Brohoof 1

I'm gonna go ahead and say this again: they don't actually think that. It's a joke. A meme. A thing you copy+paste to try and get retweets and followers. I mean, just look at how similar many of them are. You see that? That's because it's a joke. Nothing more, nothing less. Stop using this to convey the "Americans are stupid" bandwagon through something that's supposed to be funny because they act like they are stupid. If anybody here is an idiot, it's probably one of you.

So now, every time you bash the U.S. because of a joke like this, or the spelling of "color," or "aluminum," remember: you are the one being an uninformed oaf.

Ah, finally! A like-minded, rational thinking individual! I've been looking for one of you in this thread for a while! Thank goodness you arrived!

(edited)

Oi, I was never on the "Americans are stupid" bandwagon, and kindly don't put words in my mouth or call me an idiot, if you don't mind.

Note that I suspected it might be an intentional joke thing (though I will concede that I doubted it). I will be the first to admit that I was wrong and I have no problem admitting that. What I do have a problem with however, is being called an idiot. Don't get uppity just because not everybody found the meme as super-duper hilarious as they did. I apologise that my sense of humour is not as well-developed as yours.

And for the record, I don't care how Americans, or Canadians, or the British, or Scotsmen, or Namibians, or whoever spells their words, and if you paid attention, you'll notice that I defended Americans' use of aluminum over aluminium. Don't you be so dense yourself, mate.

Don't just assume that I hate a country because you got your jimmies rustled. And considering that I've emigrated to, and currently live in, the USA, I'd say I'm pretty well pleased with it.

Edited by Gigapony
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Oi, I was never on the "Americans are stupid" bandwagon, and kindly don't put words in my mouth or call me an idiot, if you don't mind.

Note that I suspected it might be an intentional joke thing (though I will concede that I doubted it). I will be the first to admit that I was wrong and I have no problem admitting that. What I do have a problem with however, is being called an idiot. Don't get uppity just because not everybody found the meme as super-duper hilarious as they did.

And for the record, I don't care how Americans, or Canadians, or the British, or Scotsmen, or Namibians, or whoever spells their words, and if you paid attention, you'll notice that I defended Americans' use of aluminum over aluminium. Don't you be so dense yourself, mate.

I'm sorry, but I was trying to write to an audience of four different people, all of which I disagreed with, and a few of which insulted my ethnicity because of what they thought. I was trying to express myself to all of you at once, without having to write more than one post.

I didn't mean to cause you harm, I just meant to express my own annoyance to those who go immediately to judging without thinking, which isn't you, as I can now tell. The aluminum/aluminium thing was just an example I was giving, I wasn't targeting you on that because you were part of that debate. I was just reacting to being offended, like you did at the end of your own post. "Don't be so dense yourself, mate." Everybody does it. It's human.

Edited by Jverne
  • Brohoof 3

@, fair enough, mate. You apologised and I respect that. I apologise as well. No harm done and no hard feelings.

And just to clarify to anyone else, I never thought (and never will think) that all Americans are idiots. I personally have always had an issue with people who think that way, and I HATE when people use a massive brush to paint a group of people as being a certain way.

If I thought anyone was an idiot, I thought those people were (NOT all Americans) before I realised it was a joke. I don't have my finger on the pulse of internet memes, and I've met enough stupid people in my life to not be surprised if they were actually serious.

I apologise to them, and I apologise to any Americans who felt I was insulting them, even though that was NEVER my intention.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I'm editing the last post...

It probably is just a funny thing people post on Twitter.  I think it's still pretty stupid, but to every man and women his/her own.

Edited by Dusty Soul
  • Brohoof 4

Honestly, when you really think about it, who are the unintelligent ones? The people pretending to be dumb, or the people who are gullible enough to actually believe they're being serious?

I'm pretty sure that was you calling everyone that believes this stupid. Don't be that "guy". The more I think about it though, it seems like many are probably trolls. Although it is still twitter.....Still pisses me off because while these people may be trolls, it reminds me that I do know people that are actually this dense and give 0 shits about history. You seem to have me mistaken for someone who is quick to judge, I don't think I know, I do know. A good chunk of my class knew little to nothing about actual American history until we took US History our junior year. Of course that class still romanticized our history, which is actually pretty ugly and cruel when you look back on it(AP US history). Also I don't think America sucks per say, it just seems that many Americans have been lulled into this false domestic reality. A lot of people just want a bigger house and a new car as The Razors Edge put it. It makes me sad really. And don't act like this isn't true and that I know nothing about how the world works, my own mother is like this. :(

My post may have been harsh, but before the OP edited it to say it was trolling, I was under the intention these people were serious. So now that I know it was possibly trolling, I have to say the sad thing is that I wouldn't be surprised if these people were actually serious. It's sad because I know people in real life who are like that. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm pretty sure that was you calling everyone that believes this stupid. Don't be that "guy". The more I think about it though, it seems like many are probably trolls. Although it is still twitter.....Still pisses me off because while these people may be trolls, it reminds me that I do know people that are actually this dense and give 0 shits about history. You seem to have me mistaken for someone who is quick to judge, I don't think I know, I do know. A good chunk of my class knew little to nothing about actual American history until we took US History our junior year. Of course that class still romanticized our history, which is actually pretty ugly and cruel when you look back on it(AP US history). Also I don't think America sucks per say, it just seems that many Americans have been lulled into this false domestic reality. A lot of people just want a bigger house and a new car as The Razors Edge put it. It makes me sad really. And don't act like this isn't true and that I know nothing about how the world works, my own mother is like this. sad.png

I never said anything about stupid. What I did was ask a rhetorical question. Something people are supposed to give thought, but not reply to. So I'm not being that "guy" as you say it. I see plenty of those "guys" bashing the hell out of America because they were gullible enough to fall for it.

I can very well see that you're trying to use guilt on me. But eh, I forgive you, since you decided to tap into reason and logic by admitting that it may be a prank. And don't worry, I didn't mistake you for someone who's quick to judge, I just thought you ought to take those twitter posts with a bit more thought before posting about them, that's all. Neither am I acting like you don't know anything. Again, my first comment was directed to all the people thinking the posts were real, I wasn't targeting any individuals.

And I'm sorry if you know really dumb people, but please, there's no reason to get political about it.

I'm feeling a bit better now that people are starting to see how fake those posts are, so I'm a bit happier now. I forgive you.

In the end though, I was right from the start.

Edited by Modphase

Wait a minute.  Let me get this straight.  To celebrate our independence, her blow shit up, roast tons of poor little animals on the grill, and get drunk!?  What kind of nation is this?

(edited)

Actually the discoverer of it first named it "alumium" in 1808, then changed the name to "aluminum".

Then in 1812 some editors from the British establishment decided to mess around with his chosen name and added an extra unnecessary syllable since they felt it should end in "-ium" to resemble elements like strontium, barium, etc. The US retained the original name.

img-1621466-1-the_more_you_know2.jpg

Ahem:

" The English Chemist Sir Humphrey Davy underlined the existence of the element arguing that "alum" was the salt of an unknown metal which he said should be called ‘alumium’. The name was respelt as the more pleasant sounding ‘aluminium’ by later scientists."

Haha! So that proves that even then, We were correct! And then changed it ourselves....

(Insert terrible speech about how insignificant and worthless I feel to the world)

Edited by darklord260

Wait a minute.  Let me get this straight.  To celebrate our independence, her blow shit up, roast tons of poor little animals on the grill, and get drunk!?  What kind of nation is this?

A nation which celebrates its independence by creating spectacular fireworks shows, grilling delicious meals, and toasting to it's greatness with fine alcoholic beverages.

• Brohoof 3

A nation not unlike many other nations that do largely the same exact fun things (and more) to celebrate their own independence.

• Brohoof 2

We could be honoring soldiers as a symbol for those who have fought for this country, but we only party. That is the message that Psych Ward is attempting to display.

• Brohoof 3

people don't even know basic American history.

Firstly, Britain doesn't learn American history, no, it learns British history. Sure they would've learned a thing or two along their life, but you can't just expect them to know American history off the back of their hand.

My thoughts? Who the fuck cares?

If they think it's 2013 years old, so be it. I don't care, neither should you, it isn't much of a big deal. It's a very common mistake that everyone around the globe makes and screws up.

• Brohoof 1

We could be honoring soldiers as a symbol for those who have fought for this country, but we only party. That is the message that Psych Ward is attempting to display.

I get his idea, but we already have Veterans day and Memorial Day that honor veterans. 

Firstly, Britain doesn't learn American history, no, it learns British history. Sure they would've learned a thing or two along their life, but you can't just expect them to know American history off the back of their hand.   My thoughts? Who the fuck cares? If they think it's 2013 years old, so be it. I don't care, neither should you, it isn't much of a big deal. It's a very common mistake that everyone around the globe makes and screws up.

Wait, wut? I didn't say other countries had to know our history. That would be ridiculous. My wording may have been funny, but yeah I completely agree with you on that point. As for your second point, well " Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it." Basically history is important as hell. A nice quote from 1984 "He who controls the past controls the present, and he who controls the present controls the future." People should know their own countries history and should also have a grasp on world history. 

• Brohoof 5

Protip: Always give someone the benefit of the doubt and assume they are trolling before you automatically come to the conclusion that they are blindingly stupid, especially when it's on the internet.

It assures that you won't like like an idiot yourself if it does turn out to be trolling, and if the person really is that dumb, the worst that will happen is that you'll appear to be condescending.

I see things like this happen far too often on here, with amount of fake fandom drama that goes on.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I feel like I should be laughing or something. Maybe this should make my evening. Yeah. I don't celebrate 4th of July really. I spent the day at Anime Expo instead.

Edited by Nagisa Misumi

Wait a minute. Let me get this straight. To celebrate our independence, her blow shit up,

Those are also known as "Fireworks", dude.

roast tons of poor little animals on the grill,

That is suppose to be called "outdoor barbecue", man.

and get drunk!?

That, my friend, only happens to those who drink too much. There are some people who know their limits.

Lolgeturshitrite

(edited)

They seriously thought that Independence Day is America's birthday. 

Don't quite understand that statement, mate. Independence Day pretty much is the United States' birthday. I get everything else you said, though, but I just quoted that one sentence.

Edited by Nagisa Misumi

(edited)

Don't quite understand that statement, mate. Independence Day pretty much is the United States' birthday. I get everything else you said, though, but I just quoted that one sentence.

Your right in a way, and I can't argue with you about that. Good thing that you quoted my one mistake, in that. But I guess it is pretty much the United States birthday, I could know for sure.

Edited by Scootalove