Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was Equestria Girls better than you expected?

kirbyboi

I thought the idea was stupid when I first heard it. The film ended up being much, much better than I expected. It was quite enjoyable, though some parts were too darn cheesy for me. The songs were alright and overall, not bad. Though I still would have preferred a film with ponies.

After seeing the trailers, I feared the worst. It was going to be the worst thing ever and were all gonna die. I then reassured myself it can't be that bad, after all, If they managed to make make a show with colorful ponies that became appealing to people older than they originally intended viewing audience, then they must surely be able to make this movie good, right? 

And you know what? They did! It was pretty good for what it was. I wasn't crazy about the whole romance thing, but all the jokes and music made up for it.

I think it was better than I'd expected. I started watching with apprehension, not sure what I thought the film would be like. I didn't like the human art and the concept, but I was willing to see how it worked in the movie. My feeling after watching was that it was very entertaining, for what it was at least. The characters looked much better animated than as pictures. Sure, the plot was rather cliche (as expected of the high school setting), but I found that it was entertaining enough if you made the effort to turn off your inner critic and ignore the huge numbers of plot holes.

Sadly, Equestria Girls was not as "mind-blowing" and "amazing" as I expected it to be. I felt that it was a recycled plot from the pilot episode of MLP. There's so many similarities between the two that EqG was merely just a copy of the pilot in an attempt to draw larger crowds to watching MLP. I was hoping for some more originality at the very least. 

• Brohoof 1

I made it my business to watch this with the same open mind as I had when I watched Friendship is Magic for the first time. And I enjoyed it. The whole Flash Sentry crush thing I wish could have been left out, but otherwise the movie didn't really devolve into a typical high school drama thing like many feared it would.

Totally. To be honest, I wasn't a fan of the idea at all. I thought the movie was a waste of money and resources that could have been earmarked for season 4. I also thought the art sucked. So I went in with really low expectations, and was genuinely surprised. When I walked out of the theater, I definitely thought it was enjoyable. I loved how spot-on the humanized Mane 6 were, the songs, all the MLP:FIM references, and the experience of seeing all the bronies at the theater. I even ended up thinking the art was pretty good. As time went on, I began to adore it more and more. I can now say I'm glad they made it biggrin.png I'm also pretty excited for the songs to come out in high quality. Helping Twilight Win the Crown has been stuck in my head the past few days. happy.png

I'd say it was mostly on par with the series, which is what I was expecting. Yeah everyone was throwing fits about it from day 1, but I knew that as long as it was made by the same creative team it would work.

I feel like it was a step up from the other adventure type stories. Usually there's a lot of fridge logic in them, especially from the villains. The movie had it's fair share, such as Twilight not explaining that the tiara was hers or Sunset just stealing the damn thing earlier.

Thankfully the good outweigh the bad. Songs were really good and catchy. I like that Twilight managed to bring the school community together by having everyone build the fall formal together. I'm also happy that Sunset didn't try to rig the election, instead she did the rational thing and just plain stole the tiara.

I literally just finished watching it online like 5 minutes ago(not playing anywhere near here)....and it was better than I expected it to be. I actually enjoyed it. and the references were adorable, like how Twily first met Flutters...it went pretty much the same it did when she first met Flutters in FiM. I also noticed how everone had their pony counter-parts cutie mark on their clothign somewhere....and we seen Vinyl Scratches real eye color!! It's not red, it's close to Dashie's eye color. I also like how Snips and Snails followed her around, just like they did with The Great and Powerful Trixie. Saying that, Sunset Shimmer seemed like an almost mirror image of Trixie.

It's something I could probably watch again. I also wasn't expecting Sunset Shimmer to turn into whatever she turned into, and I thought to myself as she was putting it on "It's not going to work on you" Sure enough, I was right. even with out the physical element, Twilight and the rest of the mane 6 were still able to defeat her.

• Brohoof 1

Not really. It was good, but I had always been supporting it because besides the character designs (which I vocalized opposition to on several occasions) I expected it to maintain the same quality as the main show. It delivered in that regard.

• 2 weeks later...

It was definitely better than I expected. Sure, it had some faults, but every, if not all, movies do. I honestly didn't expect to like it as much as I did.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought it was going to be the worst possible thing, and I was not disappointed. It was truly the worst thing they could've possibly put out. The writing was awful, it had plot holes you could drive a truck through,

Brad was a noncharacter that only existed to give Twilight someone to fawn over,

Sunset Shimmer was nothing more than a generic "mean girl" in every 80s High School flick,

the whole "Pinkie explains the entire plot on a hunch" wasn't really funny to me. It was just lame because it seemed like such a cheap way to explains something relatively simple, after a while everyone but Rarity and Twilight just seemed to fade into the background,

the animation was blocky due to the God awful toy designs, all of Equestria seems to revolve around that High School since even people who should be fully grown adults are students there and Hasbro's justification that the fandom "asked for this" makes me sick to my stomach.

I went in with an open mind, I truly did. And for a week I was undecided on how exactly I felt. But now, I know that I think the world would be a better place if this idea was thrown in the trash months ago.

• Brohoof 1

Ehhh, considering i thought it would be awful, it wasn't so bad. It wasn't great either, plenty of major issues and nitpicks i had with it. Even considering it wasn't too bad, it doesn't change the fact that they had to take an awful concept and turn it into something  watchable. I would have preferred they take a great concept and exceed my already high expectations with it, like they always have in the past. I give equestria girls a 6.5-7/10

Edited by crazitaco

Well, not exactly even if it had it's flaws and plot holes it was still a very enjoyable movie to watch in the theaters. I don't think it was exactly better but, it was pretty good though.

When I watched it on YouTube(because it never came to my theater) I really enjoyed it! My opinions really changed from when it was first announced in May. Of course, I'll probably get the DVD, not sure yet.

It was much better than i expected. when i heard about it, i thought it was gonna be girly, but it didn't seem that way to me when i watched it, aside from the flash sentry stuff. it definitely has a few catchy songs in there, which i know the melodies to but not the lyrics. :/ all in all, i believe hasbro did a very good job. i hope season 4 is at least a similar quality.

For me it was even worst of what i was expecting. I've said it once and i will say it again: The idea alone is almost a crime towards the entire series. They had a series where the world is full of magical creatures and so many secrets yet to find out, so many possibilities for so MANY movies. And what they give us? A movie that is full of Highschool movies clichès, but is also full of convinient things after an other, and so full of plot-holes and so much rushed that for me proves that they did it only for the dolls.

And i find insulting the use of the references to the main show so that people will be to much like "Oh OMG, it's Vynil in human form and we have finally seen her eyes!" and "AAHAHahahahahahahahah Human Trixie is so funny, she really steal the movie despite she has only one line!" and so on and on.

The Romance sub-plot was so useless that it could have been left out and nobody would even realize the fact that it miss.

So, they had the chance to give us a great movie, about an epic battle between good and evil, but no, we got instead High Pony Musical.

• Brohoof 2

I will say the film was quite better than expected. Given what the writer had to work with, I'd say the did a really fine job at mixing up the "Teen dramady" Formula. But the little anime thing they did towards then end was a bit off putting for me. -_-

• 2 weeks later...

I was sort of nervous when I first heard about Equestria girls. I was praying it was a hoax and then when it came out I wasn't sure to watch it or not ,and I didn't until some of the Brony pages I follow on Facebook were posting stuff from Equestria girls and people were saying it was really good so I got a link from someone on youtube and I sat down and watched the whole movie. And I thought the movie was great! :D  I was sort of worried about the whole humanized thing ,but it worked out well! I thought the art was neat and I liked the music. Although the end did seem sort of rushed ,but I try to remember that Hasbro is sort of walking a thin line trying to appeal to both the older crowd (Bronies) and the kids who watch the show. So all in all I thought this movie was great! I'd watch it again!

Long story short: I liked it! A lot!

Ahah I'm currently making my little sister watch it. The trailer made me excited, honestly. And after watching the movie itself, I became really happy (had a crappy morning). I did get sad when Twilight went back to the Equestria pony world though.. I grew attached to all the humanized ponies. ;__;   And yeah, I wasn't a huugee fan of Sunset Shimmer's evil form either.

I kind of want to see more of the humanized ponies... 

• Brohoof 1