Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think of Sunset Shimmer?

BlueVeil

(edited)

She's cute and hilarious. Although she could be a bit creepy at times

like the "What happens when you bring and Element of Harmony to an alternate world?" scene, and some of her emotions (the face in the third fall formal photo!). She was funny when she made the anti-Twilight video (The entire audience laughed at this part) and when she broke the forth wall by saying "Spoiler alert! I was bluffing when I said I would destroy the portal! I WANT EQUESTRIA!"

Sunset Shimmer is great for comic relief in the Equestria Girls TV show and comics, now that she's reformed!

Edited by SunsetShimmerFan

She was an okay villain, but for someone threatening two different dimensions, she was kind of a yawn.

I mean, even Trixie the airhead (whom I like a lot as a character), didn't attempt to conquer two worlds... with a small army of zombie high schoolers and two hellspawn.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

You all know Clesestias old Student, Sunset Shimmer. The one who was going to be princess.

What are you opinions of her? *Now I know there isn't enough info to 'explain' her, but just post what you think of her, from what you saw from her when she showed up*

Is she Best Villian?

Does she have a good color scheme?

Do you want to see more of her?

Does she seem misunderstood?

Post your opinions!

I thought she was a quality villain who was turned into a cliche High school/ girly anime antagonist. There wasnt much originality in her, though I love her design. She could have been much cooler had she not been in the cliche tween movie known as Equestria Girls

Meh, I don't have much of an opinion on her.

However...I ADORE HER COLOR SCHEME! It looks absolutely stunning. 

I didn't really like her demon form, but I loved her human and pony forms.

tumblr_mj22yxkkhC1rp5ywpo1_500.png

<3

• Brohoof 5

Her pony design is good, I'll give her that.

Wasn't really a fan of her as a human nor her motives in the movie though.

1. Definitely not best villain

2. Yeah

3. Maybe as a pony

4. Not really, I understood her pretty well.

Overall, she's average to me I guess.

, just letting you know that I've moved your thread to the Equestria Girls section, since for the time being Sunset Shimmer is only a character in that movie and not in the show.

Anyhow, I thought she was a character with a lot of untapped potential. An evil parallel to Twilight, with a grudge against Celestia and who's been kept secret until now? Very cool. But, we didn't see a whole lot out of her in the movie other than pretty generic alpha bitch behavior and a pretty poorly thought out evil plan. Nonetheless, as you can see from my avatar and signature right now, I've become strangely obsessed with her recently. Both because she's got one great and hot design, and because I can't stop thinking about what a great character she might've been if she had more time to show off her character and past.

• Brohoof 6

I like how she looks as a pony.  I think she had a lot of potential that was not realized.   She seems to have reformed very fast.  Guess we'll not see more of her unless there are more equestria girls sequels. 

Is she Best Villain?

The way I see it, there is no "best" villain. Every villain has their own story, motive, and method to their madness. Sunset Shimmer played her part very well. I was disappointed that she didn't get more time in her demon form, because she felt very underwhelming as a threat. Then again, it never takes very long before the main villain gets wiped out, so this isn't anything new. That said, zombie humans still sound like they would be pretty hazardous to the peaceful land of Equestria. Besides, she had the power to turn Snips and Snails into demons at will, so who knows what else Sunset Shimmer was capable of. She had enough power by herself to be a threat to Equestria, so I don't think she was weak in that sense. Also, she looks downright nasty. I think she's the most horrifyingly scary villain yet, and that gives her some extra points in my book.

240px-Sunset_Shimmer_in_demon_form_EG.pn

Does she have a good color scheme?

Sure she does! She has a very nice light amber coat, and her mane is a beautiful mix of brilliant yellow and vivid crimson. Gotta love that fiery look that she has.

girls_ss.png

Do you want to see more of her?

I do, because I think she had/has a lot of potential. Her backstory is incredibly intriguing. I want to know more about what made her the way she is. I've read the eight page comic special that featured Sunset, and I can safely say that I've seen more character and development in Princess Celestia in ONE line that she spoke in the comic than I've seen from her in the whole series, and Sunset is the reason. I would love to see Sunset Shimmer and Princess Celestia interact in the show. It's unfortunate that Shimmer came off as cliche and one-dimensional for most of the movie, but I think with a little more insight into her backstory and some future growth, she could be an excellent character. Now that she has made been forgiven, it would be very interesting to see where she goes from here.

But seriously haters, read that darn comic book! :P

Does she seem misunderstood?

She is definitely misunderstood. She is cynical, manipulative, and downright nasty, but she is still just a pony, and that sets her apart from all of the other villains. She is a pony who made poor decisions, but she's not without a conscience or a dream.

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 2

She was pretty meh. Like everyone already said she has everything that would make a really awesome villain but really fell flat with it by having her be the generic teenage bitch instead.

On the other hand her character design, both the pony and to a lesser extent the human version(though it depends on the artist) makes me think of terrible things

359854.png

Would definitely be glad to see her come back since I think there's a lot they can still do with her

Edited by Megas75

She had potential to be a better villain, and sadly she disappointed us. So no she is definitely not best villain. I would even go as far to say she is worst villain in my eyes. I don't know how the rest of you feel but that's just me ;) She just turned out to be a cliche high school mean girl, I mean she used to be Celestia's student, we should have gotten more!! :angry:

As for her color scheme, it's really nice, goes with her name too. Red and orange to symbolize a beautiful sunset.

Yes. If she's out of her high school atmosphere, and back in Equestria, I'd love to see her again. Why? We could get a nice interaction between her and Celestia. Like I said Sunset had potential to be a better villain, but she ended being too one dimensional, and was given a VERY STUPID pulled out last minute redemption. I hope she gets a better one after she apologizes to Celestia.

I guess so. She is downright mean, but that's because according to her, she doesn't know the first thing about friendship, therefore she doesn't really know how to be nice to others since she herself said all she's done is keep people apart. All she needed were friends to truly change her, so yeah, if she had been offered friendship, I'm sure she would have accepted it.

• Brohoof 2

I'll start off by saying that it's a damn shame that EG turned out to be canon. I think that she was (IMHO) wasted on EG we never really got to see how strong with magic she really was, for Princess Celestia to take her under her wing we can only imagine how good w/ magic she is. Assuming Twilight didn't become a Mary Sue in terms of magic it would have been epic to see two students of the same teacher have a one-on-one fight that could have been a Luke VS Ash lv of epicness.

Is she Best Villian? Hardly

Does she have a good color scheme? Yes, red and yellow complement each other well but she's not my favorite pony in terms of desgin I do like her pony design. I just can't stand the human designs for any of the characters.

Do you want to see more of her? Yes, but only if she's be a villain if she comes back as good then I really see no point in her return. I also want to see her interact with Celestia in some way kind of like how Discord did in Return of Harmony.

Sunset Shimmer is a transparent strategist, generic alpha girl, and someone I wouldn't trust to run the tap water. But, I like her design. Sure her demon form makes her look like a rejected Danny Phantom villain, but I've got a soft spot for dumb villains.

No, she's my least favourite villain.

It's ok, though it reminds of ketchup and mustard....

No. I've seen enough, maybe if they go to her backstory I'd be interested....

No, there's nothing to be misunderstood. Just a bitter pony going about her ways for power.

Yeah! I would like to see more of her! But she looks more like a friendly pony. All of the villans usually has dark colours and broken horns/wings n stuff. But yeah! I like her. 

Edited by Frozen Mass

Sunset Shimmer, despite having a not really original name, had the chance to be a great villain. The outcome of what would have happend if Twilight wasn't interested about Friendship and only about power. She may have been some kind of tragic figure to her, that would have made her a really good villain.

But the movie give us Diamond Tiara 2.0. A bully who act nasty but in the end is just a throw-away villain.

So, to answer at the questions:

1) No, she is in fact the worst villain in MLP history and probably one of the worst villain in movie history;

2) I guess that she looks okay, kinda remind me of Spitfire a little;

3) No, everything in EQG must remain in EQG;

4) By how rushed the story was, and how little the movie gave us, i can't really tell;

• Brohoof 1

I felt she was a generic antagonist, no back story, no build up, little development and a brisk introduction and ending; however, I still like her, I can sense she was misunderstood. Sunset Shimmer is almost identical to Silver Spoon or Diamond Tiara, a stereotypical villain, placed there to provide conflict and advance the plot, plus teach the protagonist and the audience a lesson. If Sunset Shimmer does come back like Trixie and Discord, I do hope the writers will give her more character development, but for now I say Sunset Shimmer is all right, not good nor bad, just simply okay.  

• Brohoof 1

Sunset is my favorite MLP character. She was really hilarious! Some funny parts were when  she made that Anti-Twilight Sparkle ad (everyone in my theater laughed at that, too, but the part where the boy asked if Spike just talked was more laughed at), and when she broke the fourth wall ("Spoiler alert! I was bluffing when I said I was going to destroy the portal!") as a demon. I'd actually like her demon form to be my mother, because she acts nice sometimes, and I'd teach her to stay like that and not randomly destroy things and hypnotize me. Sunset's voice in demon form is really beautiful and nice!

Edited by SunsetShimmerFan

She had a very Trixie-like appearance (not physical). 

She was misunderstood, underwent a Heel-Face Turn that made her actually evil, then underwent a Face-Heel Turn that made her good. The concept surrounding both Shimmer and Trixie are very similar; however, Shimmer was more inherently evil and therefore, had a more shallow and unbelievable change of heart at the end of the movie (which shouldn't be the case considering she got the movie, not Trixie). 

I feel less inclined to like Sunset Shimmer than I do to like Trixie, but I pretty much see them as being on the same level.

She is hot in pony form.

Seriously, she does. Look at DashForever's signature for an example.

Her evilness doesn't last very long...

Her evilness lasts for 90 minutes...

Trixie lasts 2 seasons

Nightmare Moon lasts 1000 years.

• 1 year later...

Hello there @, I just wanted to inform you that I have merged your thread regarding opinions of Sunset Shimmer with an older thread which similarly discusses the topic. Please use the search function before making a thread to limit the possibility of posting duplicate content. Many thanks. :)