Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think of Sunset Shimmer?

BlueVeil

she´s cool. i mean, she was a main villain, but in rainbow rocks she turns out to be really relatable, well at least i can relate to her, because of the my-friends-don´t-care-about-me stuff. and she turns out to be nice, kind, she´s funny and she wants to change the bad girl reputation she has. yep, i´ll say i love her!  ^_^

I thought she was rather flat in the original EQG, with questionable motivation for her actions. I loved her in Rainbow Rocks, however, and thought that her character arc (and the way it works in parallel to Twilight's) was surprisingly powerful.

• 2 weeks later...

As a villain, she is incredibly boring. The most interesting part of her is her history with Celestia. Everything else is boring and cliche as it gets. In my opinion, she's kind of like Luna in my eyes. A very interesting back story that begs for exploration into their inner thoughts and motivations but a lack luster villain because of the demands of the plot.

As a reformed villain, I love her. Throughout the second film, i kept cheering her on because, despite her past deeds, she tries to make up for it by reaching out to others. I admire that. We get to actually know Sunset a lot more in this movie than in the first. In the first film, all we know about her is her back story. In Rainbow Rocks, we see how her back story influences her personally. Again, I will compare her to Luna. In friendship is Magic, all we knew about Luna was her back story. In Luna Eclipsed, we get to actually see what Luna was like as a person (Pony).

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think that in EQG she was a bit of stock villain. She didn't really stand out much or did anything that made me remember her beyond her name.

Then Rainbow Rocks came around, and that turned her into one of my favorite characters. So often in that movie I just wanted to give her a hug for all the hate she was getting. It was great to see that she realized what she'd been missing in her life up until that point and the moment she gained her transformation really felt like an important one. I definitely wish we could see more of her.

It's kind of funny because it's literally exactly the same thing as season 1 Luna.

"I have no personality other than having been evil before, but I'm so cute! Please pity me and love me even though the entirety of my character is defined by how other people look at me!"

Sunset Shimmer was soooo cute in Rainbow Rocks :3 I like her character design and her voice and singing were really good. I hope that there will be more development with her, especially as she seems to take Twilight's place with the Mane 6 in the human world. I also wonder if there is another human world version of Sunset Shimmer (similar to how there seemed to be a human world Twilight).

• 5 months later...

I think she's awesome, I've loved her character ever since the original Equestria Girls trailer and I always will. ^_^

She has had really good character development possibly the best of any MLP character and she's just so god damn beautiful.

:wub:

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

At first she seemed like some generic high school villain excuse, or Twilight's former classmate. Now she's either a cute girl (and her horse friend) with fiery bacon hair, or a adorably happy Phoenix beaming with hope.

sunsetphoenix_by_aschenstern-d8o97jp.png

Edited by HorsesandMOARGaloar

I think she is a character that people like to mark out about, just because of one movie. There are already people demanding that she should replace Twilight as the main character and i just have to laugh at that.

If she has one episode in the actual show and the episode was bad, she would probably be hated and called a Mary Sue and what not.

• Brohoof 1

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed, but, I really just want to know what people think of her.img-1630118-1-tongue.png  Me personally, I think she's OK as a villain.

What about her as a friend to the mane 6?

For me it was interesting. Despite everyone in the fandom saying the first EQG sucking, i liked the plot. Sure it was rushed, but the main antagonist was somewhat relatable. Sunset Shimmer was power hungry; she wanted everything and more.

Basically she's a stereotypical high school mean girl with a decent backstory and confusing motivations. She makes for a very weak villian, in all honesty.

I wont argue with you on her character, but she was a good villain despite being rushed. She would have been a great villain if the writers didnt rush the movie AND season 3 at the same time. 

Sunset Shimmer reminds me of another villain from another movie. Kung Fu Panda's antagonist comes to mind. Both were a student of a powerful master, both wanted absolute power and when they were denied they turned against their master. Either by running away, or kick their behinds.

As Esk said before, it was a basic high school mean girls scenario: A new girl with quirky behaviour comes to the school, rocks the social foundation and catches the eyes of the mean girls ex-boyfriend making her mad jealous. It's like Mean Girls with Lindsay Lohan all over again.

Sunset Shimmer was cheated out of being a good villain thanks to subpar writing from the staff. She was a power hungry sociopath who stopped at nothing to get what she wanted, then was shown the error of her ways through the magic of friendship. From there she was broken and defeated. She had to start all over again with her new life as someone who didn't crap all over people to get what she wanted.

In the second movie she is seen playing the part of a person seeking redemption. 

So tl;dr version, Sunset is a good villain if you read deeper into it, but thanks to the writer's laziness we only get to see a Lindsy Lohan version ponified.....then EQG-fied..

(edited)

As a villain, she is incredibly boring. The most interesting part of her is her history with Celestia. Everything else is boring and cliche as it gets. In my opinion, she's kind of like Luna in my eyes. A very interesting back story that begs for exploration into their inner thoughts and motivations but a lack luster villain because of the demands of the plot.

As a reformed villain, I love her. Throughout the second film, i kept cheering her on because, despite her past deeds, she tries to make up for it by reaching out to others. I admire that. We get to actually know Sunset a lot more in this movie than in the first. In the first film, all we know about her is her back story. In Rainbow Rocks, we see how her back story influences her personally. Again, I will compare her to Luna. In friendship is Magic, all we knew about Luna was her back story. In Luna Eclipsed, we get to actually see what Luna was like as a person (Pony).

This. So much this.

As somepony who is pretty much obsessed with anything Sunset Shimmer, or Princess Luna, I agree with this.  Sunset Shimmer makes a piss-poor villain who is just trying too hard.  It made her character really annoying, drab, and easily forgettable.

When she was given a second chance, she really started to turn her life around, and genuinely blossoms, to the point where she is now in the video/song, "My past is not today" (which is an amazing song, btw).

When she just lets her real self out, it just makes me :wub: love :wub: her character just so much.  There's a certain charm in characters that make dynamic paradigm shifts in their life.  I mean if she was given just one episode in FiM, just one, even if it was just some sort of reference by Celestia, that would just make my day. 

Incidentally:

Edited by Shimmerlicious
  • Brohoof 1

I adore Sunset Shimmer, but not very much as a villain, she makes a much better protagonist or secondary protagonist then a antagonist, I do love her overall design, voice, and backstory.

• Brohoof 1