Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does Rarity's characterization influence your opinion negatively?

Tenor Clef

What do you think  

231 users have voted

1. 1. what do you think of Rarity

• Awesome pony! love her!
    • She is a great character
    • Yeah she is a good pony
    • Do not care...
    • not a fan
    • Ugh, not that pony
    • Lets discuss a different pony.

Every time I have a conversation about MLP, I mention Rarity. I love Rarity. But everyone says she's all stuck up. What's with that? Am I missing something?

Edited by Apple Bloom

I love Rarity. She is tied for second as my favorite Pony (tied with Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy. They just all have different aspects that I love, so I cant decide between em o-o)

It seems that people dont see exactly what "Stuck Up" REALLY is. Its more of a stuck up illusion brought on by the accent, the fassion love, and the cleanlyness factors. In many episodes you get a look at Rarity's moral outlook, and it is definately NOT the morals of a stuck up pony.

(kinda feels like I didnt explain that as well as I could. Hope it gets my point across)

• Brohoof 5

To be honest I haven't really heard people hating on Rarity at all. I can see why they might though, the first time I saw her I thought she was exactly the kind of stuck up, arrogant pony I would hate. As with every pony, their flaws are what make the good traits stand out.

Yeah, Rarity can be that stuck up prep, but for me, that's what makes Rarity who she is. I love Rarity's stuck up attitude, she is my third favorite pony after all.

• Brohoof 2

She seems pretty elitist at first, which is probably the reason. Compare that to the other ponies who are hardworking. Until I watched enough episodes to realize she works just as hard as everyone else, I thought all she did was brush her hair all day :

• Brohoof 3

I think I know why. When I first saw Rarity, it was the clip from Sonic Rainboom where she was showing off her wings during the competition, followed soon by her whining clip from "A Dog and Pony Show". I was sure I was going to dislike her if she was going to continue in that way. After I actually watched a few episodes, I realized that Rarity is actually not as stuck up as she seems, in fact she always goes out of her way to make sure others are happy before seeing to her own needs. She is just in the habbit of hamming it up when she is the center of attention. It makes sense when you think about it, because she is a small town dress maker with dreams of being famous, she makes sure everypony notices by being as overdramtic as possible. Edited by super muffin derpy506
  • Brohoof 3

I don't' hate her and I have haven't heard of any bronies that do. Sure, she's not very loved relative to Fluttershy and Twilight Sparkle, but not many people HATE her.

I just don't like her personality or appearance.

When I first watched the show, I thought she really did embody generosity, I mean, she's OCD-like in cleanliness and perfection, yet she cut off her own tail for the sea dragon. And in the Rarity fan club, Kyronea's analysis points out that her entire life is sharing; by creating dresses and selling them, she's sharing her creativity with the world.

But episode 3 was a huge stumbling block for me. Her little romantic fantasy with Prince Blueblood reminded me way too much of this self-absorbed drama queen of a girl I know IRL. It gave me a huge negative bias towards her. (which I've gotten past since then, for the reasons I put in my first paragraph. Rarity cares about others before she thinks of herself, most of the time, as opposed to that person IRL who's almost entirely self-absorbed.)

Also, she's by far the biggest feminine aspect in MLP, IMO.

At least, I suspect she represented that in a dream I had once. Another character, I suspect, represented my horror at liking a "little kids girly' show." In the end, that horror died, and the brotherly (or sisterly) love and kindness message of the show won out.

But my point is, if there's still some subconscious part of someone that still hasn't fully accepted the show, then it would probably show in a dislike for Rarity.

Hmm, I wrote an interesting bit here, but erased it because I decided it should warrant it's own thread :P

"Why Do Haters Hate?" will be the title, once I post it.

Edited by EASA - Dr. Braun
  • Brohoof 1

There isn't a whole lot of Rarity hate on this forum, so you've come to the right place. :D

I think that people are too quick to judge when it comes to determining whether or not to like somepony. They see that Rarity likes fashion and wants everything to be beautiful and doesn't like mud, so they think, "Ugh how annoying, I wouldn't want to hang around someone like her."

Initially, I didn't particularly care for Rarity. She wasn't my favorite pony, though she wasn't my least favorite either. I guess I could see how her behavior in the Diamond Dogs episode could turn people off, but she was being manipulative because she was being held captive and if she hadn't done anything, she would have been forced to be the Diamond Dogs' slave. The fact that she doesn't

behave that way towards others shows that she isn't a horrible person, lol

People also complain that she isn't actually generous despite the fact that she holds the element of generosity. This is untrue, but for reasons I won't delve into here, for that would take far too long. Although I will mention the simple fact that she shares her creations with others and doesn't just hog them all for herself. She wants everyone to be beautiful - she doesn't just want herself to be beautiful and everyone else to be ugly. If that were the case, Rarity wouldn't have even spent time fixing Twilight's mane in the first episode. If she were truly "stuck-up," she would have laughed at Twilight's mane and made fun of her, not try to help her out.

I find Rarity to be very charming. I think she's very cute. Not "D'aaaaaaaaaaaawww" cute like Fluttershy, but cute in her own way.

dey just be jealous

If there is any hatred toward Rarity, it is probably due to her perceived snobbish nature, recurrent vanity, and occasional obsession with material goods. At first glance she does not appear to embody generosity; however, I tend to think of Rarity as a classic case of wanting to judge a book by its cover: she may appear to be conceited but in reality has an enormous depth of generosity.

Rainbow Dash also initially appears to be in conflict with her core element: she is a showboat and a braggart with an affinity for wanting to be number one. It is clear, however, that Dash is truly a loyal friend. Unlike Rarity Rainbow Dash is a bit more of an everypony (everyman), which makes her more readily accessible as a character. Rarity proves that those who are quick to judge a pony by his or her appearance are often incorrect. Clearly she goes the extra mile for those in need and by doing so breaks the convention of being a conceited pretty girl.

• Brohoof 7

When I first saw Rarity, it was the clip from Sonic Rainboom where she was showing off her wings during the competition, followed soon by her whining clip from "A Dog and Pony Show". I was sure I was going to dislike her if she was going to continue in that way. After I actually watched a few episodes, I realized that Rarity is actually not as stuck up as she seems, in fact she always goes out of her way to make sure others are happy before seeing to her own needs. She is just in the habbit of hamming it up when she is the center of attention.

This!

When I started watching the show I thought the exact same thing. I was quick to judge that I probably wouldn’t like her character as much as the rest, due to how she really seemed like the only stuck up one of the bunch. It wasn’t until I actually got to see a few episodes showing the other side of her personality, that I completely changed my opinion. I don’t think anyone hates on any of the main six, because the show certainly wouldn’t be the same without every one of them.

They are just jealous of her awesome swag!

Posted Image

She is my favorite, so I don't really pay much attention to any hate I see (although these forums seem to be pretty clear of it).

Well I guess she is the girliest of the bunch, so some people might dislike that I suppose.

Or maybe it's because they're jealous of how fabulous she is!

Posted Image

Rarity :wub:

You will always be my fave! <3

• Brohoof 1

That's because her personality contrasts with the other ponies' personalities quite a bit. Rarity's always been the most formal of the group, the most self-conscious (her looks, in particular) and to top it all of, she is kind of like a maternal figure. What you see in the other ponies, you would think they're kind of like kids or teens. What you see in Rarity, you'd see quite the professional who behaves like an adult. As for people disliking her, I don't find it surprising. She does give off the vibe that she can be stuck up because of all the aforementioned, which is something people don't like to see. Simply put, you'd need to be either a patient person or someone with "professional" taste in order to like her. I honestly like her for her looks and also because she's funny (in her own way). :lol:

On a side note, she IS a fashion extraordinaire, not just some pony who designs and makes clothes. High expectations come to any person who is perceived to be a genius in their field of work. Rarity's standards are very high compared to the average dressmaker, so if she fails at doing her job, she'll be hard on herself. For Rarity, it's really a mix of hurt pride and struggling to meet her own expectations.

• Brohoof 1