Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does Rarity's characterization influence your opinion negatively?

Tenor Clef

What do you think  

231 users have voted

1. 1. what do you think of Rarity

• Awesome pony! love her!
    • She is a great character
    • Yeah she is a good pony
    • Do not care...
    • not a fan
    • Ugh, not that pony
    • Lets discuss a different pony.

Rarity was one of the first Ponies that sparked my interest in MLP to begin with (I saw a GIF in someone's signiture on another board of her doing the mane flip from Secret to my Excess) First real time I started to do any research on the topic of the show. So Rarity has a special place in my heart for that lol. I can kinda see why people wouldn't LIKE her, but its hard to fathom that any real fans would HATE her.

I think the issue is that it's been ingrained into many watching audiences that people who behave like Rarity, are usually the bad guys/annoying rich girl that gets in the way of the main characters. Think about it, how many (Famous, or at least watched by alot of people) shows and cartoons have you seen where the girl that acts like Rarity (minus the generousity) is the anti protagonist?

I chuck it up to people not being used to seeing it being from the good guys(er mares), and thus, they can't help but pick on poor Rarity for it because all the other shows trained them to hate on anyone who behaves like that.

There's my two cents, feel free to throw it down whatever storm drain you see.

• Brohoof 2

Rarity is not amongst my favorite ponies but I began to appreciate her more during season2. I like all of the mane characters in their own way and I can't imagine the show with one of them missing.

In the pony-off thread I gave Rarity a 3 in personality and a 5 in design, because I prefer, tomboys, dorks and more simple girls over the ladylike ones but her design and colours are very pretty

So rock on Rarity and Rarity-fans! :D

I think the issue is that it's been ingrained into many watching audiences that people who behave like Rarity, are usually the bad guys/annoying rich girl that gets in the way of the main characters. Think about it, how many (Famous, or at least watched by alot of people) shows and cartoons have you seen where the girl that acts like Rarity (minus the generousity) is the anti protagonist?

I chuck it up to people not being used to seeing it being from the good guys(er mares), and thus, they can't help but pick on poor Rarity for it because all the other shows trained them to hate on anyone who behaves like that.

I like how this is worded :) I will take your two cents, buy two penny candies, and give you one!

While Rarity is my least favorite of the mane 6, I don't exactly "hate" her. The reason why she is my least favorite is simply the fact that she took me the longest to warm up to. I've never been fond of female characters who are vain and materialistic. While the rest of the 6 had managed to win me over very quickly, it wasn't until after viewing "Suited for success" and "A dog and pony show" when she finally won me over. While the later episode had put most people off of Rarity, I loved how it showed that she wasn't some helpless damsel.

I like your way of thinking...never thought of it like that before and it makes alot of sense.

Edited by SailorCardKnight

I will admit that I THOUGHT she was stuck-up at first, when I began watching the show, but she very quickly proved that she wasn't. Granted, at times she can be...uncooperative, irksome, even argumentative over the smallest of things, but stuck up? She's friends with Applejack! They get along quite well, though granted that's probably at least partially because of the bond their little sisters share.

Still, I can understand why people would get that impression if you're not paying attention to everything she does. She carries herself with an attitude and a persona that definitely suggests arrogance and elitism, but when given the opportunity to truly show it she generally either backs down or outright sticks up for her friends.

• Brohoof 1

She acts like an annoying facebook girl. I used to hate on her too but after some time I started really liking her episodes and songs and even if it's not a person I would like in real life (I'm more of an AJ in terms of... paying attention to certain things), I'd argue with her all the time, but I see some depth in her now. But it's really easy not like her.

I have nothing against rarity, she's an ambitious creative sort with realistic approach to life and professional pride. She loves attention because she knows she has a lot to give in return so even that doesn't bother me.

Only thing is that she tends to get overshadowed by more appealing characters in the show and some people convert "less spectacular" as "dislike" because their small minds think that they need to be jerk to someone to love someone else more in contrast, it is when they realize their love is feeble and needs starker contrast to really stand out.

People like me who possess ability to express love and devotion to a higher range can love everyone without needing to paint some areas black to have the bright ones stand out more. Simple matter of high volume output ;):wub:

• Brohoof 1

People not liking Rarity? The. Worst. Possible. Thing!

I have nothing to do with fashion myself but having lived in Manehattan, I met fashionistas much like Rarity. It is hard work and I am glad Suited for Success showed that. Just because a pony likes the finer things in life doesn't mean she has to be stuck up. In Sweet and Elite, you get to see that mean side from JetSet and UpperCrust, but as you saw, Rarity stood by her friends even if meant being associated with less classy ponies. I also applaud FancyPants - just as the fancy ponies were turning on Rarity, he turned it all back around by calling her friends "charmingly rustic" and wanting to meet them. Hooray for Rarity and good guy FancyPants!

As for the whole Diamond Dogs episode, Rarity was smart. She played up her stereotype to drive them nuts and control the situation. Good for her!

Ultimately, there will be some people that identify more with Rarity and others that identify more with say Applejack, but as Look Before You Sleep showed us, there is no reason for all of us not to get along.

Edited by DrOphthalmos
  • Brohoof 2