Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does Rarity's characterization influence your opinion negatively?

Tenor Clef

What do you think  

231 users have voted

1. 1. what do you think of Rarity

• Awesome pony! love her!
    • She is a great character
    • Yeah she is a good pony
    • Do not care...
    • not a fan
    • Ugh, not that pony
    • Lets discuss a different pony.

Rarity is probably my least favorite of the mane 6, She often gets on my nerves ,But has redeemed herself some over the period of season 2 and some parts in season 1. Reasons why I don't like her. ( This is all in MY opinion, you don't have to agree)

1. She Uses her friends: Using spike to get the Ruby.

2. She Lies to her friends: She lied about her friends in Canterlot and used her pet Opal as an excuse. (And I, quite frankly can't stand liars)

4( I'm Gaben, so I can't count to 3). Her personality gets on my nerves at times.

5. She is obsessed with herself: The sonic rainboom episode ( I can't stand people like this, because they remind me of the way my sister used to be)

Other than that she's an alright character who can often make me laugh, but still not good enough to make me like her more than anyone else in the mane 6.

Applejack leaves, lets her pride get in the way and lies AND breaks promises. Plus she is stubborn as a mule

Rainbow Dash is obsessed with herself and winning so she has to be better than Applejack and anyone else

Twilight Sparkle is obsessed with her priorities and causes major problems in Ponyville just so she can write a letter to the Princess

I mean really they all have a few bad points too as well

I mean we are all free to love and not love who we like but I guess I see the bad and good in each and leave out the bad because to me the good in Rarity outshones the bad

• Brohoof 1

Applejack leaves, lets her pride get in the way and lies AND breaks promises. Plus she is stubborn as a mule

Rainbow Dash is obsessed with herself and winning so she has to be better than Applejack and anyone else

Twilight Sparkle is obsessed with her priorities and causes major problems in Ponyville just so she can write a letter to the Princess

I mean we are all free to love and not love who we like but I guess I see the bad and good in each and leave out the bad because to me the good in Rarity outshones the bad

Did Applejack ever lie? She said she couldn't come back to Ponyville. She never really lied she just said she couldn't come back to Ponyville. She never gave a real reason why she couldn't she just couldn't. And she didn't really come to the breakfast so she didn't really lie about that. I just don't remember a time in an episode that Applejack lied maybe you could help me refresh my memory I might be forgetting some details.

Did Applejack ever lie? She said she couldn't come back to Ponyville. She never really lied she just said she couldn't come back to Ponyville. She never gave a real reason why she couldn't she just couldn't. And she didn't really come to the breakfast so she didn't really lie about that. I just don't remember a time in an episode that Applejack lied maybe you could help me refresh my memory I might be forgetting some details.

She may not have lied straight out but she says "I will tell you at breakfast" giving the impression that she would be at breakfast the next day and then never showed

Obviously we all have our opinions but I consider that to be a lie. Just because she was clever about it doesn't make it right IMO

While I am at it, how selfish is Applejack that she leaves town, can't win and then let's pride get in the way and refuses to come back without ANY word why.

Edited by Cupcake Ice Cream

Still, she has the most flaws out of all the characters.

I actually don't like the four you listed nearly as much as I like Pinkie Pie or Fluttershy. My favorites of the mane 6 goes:

1.Pinkie

2.Fluttershy

3.Rainbow Dash( I don't even know why)

4.Twilight sparkle

5.Apple Jack

6.Rarity

It's not just her flaws that gets on my nerves, though it does get me a little upset. It's also her main character traits and her obsession with fashion. We are actual almost exact opposites. I'm not generous at all, that's one of my flaws... I don't hate her or Dislike her strongly. I just don't like her as much as the rest of the ponies.

Actually, Applejack did lie......But that was when under the influence of Discord. Still she did lie...Just saying.
  • Brohoof 1

1. She Uses her friends: Using spike to get the Ruby.

I have seen a few people make this point in this thread. I would like to present a different way of looking at this. Rarity did not push Spike to give her the gem.

She told him (quite clearly) that she thought the gem was fabulous, but Spike gave her the gem of his own free will. To Spike, it was more important for Rarity to be happy than for him to eat the Fire Ruby.

Giving Rarity the gem was a tremendous act of generosity. In fact, it was that single act of generosity that was able to completely undo the transformation that occurred in Spike due to his many acts of greed that occurred afterwards.

Think about it. If Spike had not shown generosity to the Rarity, the element of generosity, then it is possible that nothing would have been able to reverse his transformation.

Far from using him, Rarity actually saved him.

This kind of makes sense though, doesn't it? Rarity's element is the element of generosity. It doesn't seem strange that she has the power to bring generosity out of those around her.

Edit: I messed up the formatting in this post the first time...

Edited by HAL 9000
  • Brohoof 6

It's because everyone thinks she's stuck up and pouty, or just way too stereotypically feminine. I used to think this. Then Sisterhooves Social aired.

I don't hate her ether, she is reak kind hearted

Probably because she's the girliest of them all. She's defiantly a kind of character who can be hated at first shot. Fashon sonatas tend to be ridiculed because of their extreme interest in popular attire, where we usually don't give a crap about those things. Not to mention, she whines, ALOT! I don't have a problem with that though, (makes her even more funny) but there's people who can't stand whining at any cost, whatsoever. Plus, she kind of seems a bit, well, seeing how Kunoichi Derpina's post got deleted, I won't say. :l

But case in point, the very girly characters often get hated by men. Rarity's no exception.

I used to dislike Rarity because of how superficial she was. Her element of generosity didn't seem to fit in very well with her obsession over surface details and keeping up appearances. Getting out of an inconvenient situation in Dog and Pony Show by just being an annoying whiner was pretty weak, it felt lke they could have done a lot more to show that she was capable of standing up for herself rather than acting like a brat and hoping her captors would get sick of it.

As the show went on though, her character became a lot more developed and well-rounded. Her desire to connect with her sister in Social really brought out a less self-centered side with a focus on family and love. This and some other episodes also helped to establish her as less of a fashionista and more of a businesspony, with her character centered on design and deadlines rather than the "omg clothes" attitude reminiscent of other girls' shows. I think that's the main reason so many people had little interest in her right off the bat - she started out looking like the most girly of the bunch. Among atheletes, bookworms, and workaholics, she easily comes off as way too ordinary and stereotypical.

Edited by Bleyd

• 4 months later...
(edited)

I strongly dislike her for how snobbish she is, and how she treated sweetie belle in "sisterhooves social" and all the times she took advantage of Spikes love.I know she fixed both of the problems, but I still dont like her treatment towards them.

Edited by z11011

Rairity is awesome, I agree, but some people think because of her prissy attitude and all about fashion and jewles, she isn't a good character. My Little Pony would be lost without rairity! All groups of friends all over that place have someone who acts like a rairity. I myself act more like Twilight Sparkle, but people just have to admit that they like rairity and face the facts, that Rairity is a character, just like Squidward is a character in spongebob. It is called 'Friendship is magic' bacause there are all different types of friends all over the world, and you can't jus=dge a book by it's cover!

Yea alot of people just see her as a stuck up snob.

I personally think she has a interesting personality, still she's only fourth on my list

I don't hate Rarity, though quite a majority of her fans seem to have Dash as their least favorite pony. Hmmmm...Discord noticed a pattern, gains +5 intelligence.

She's fine. She's down near the bottom with Fluttershy because those two don't identify with me as well as the first four, but it doesn't mean I don't like them.

Still, she has the most flaws out of all the characters.

I actually don't like the four you listed nearly as much as I like Pinkie Pie or Fluttershy. My favorites of the mane 6 goes:

1.Pinkie

2.Fluttershy

3.Rainbow Dash( I don't even know why)

4.Twilight sparkle

5.Apple Jack

6.Rarity

It's not just her flaws that gets on my nerves, though it does get me a little upset. It's also her main character traits and her obsession with fashion. We are actual almost exact opposites. I'm not generous at all, that's one of my flaws... I don't hate her or Dislike her strongly. I just don't like her as much as the rest of the ponies.

Actually, Applejack did lie......But that was when under the influence of Discord. Still she did lie...Just saying.

I find Rarity's flaws are what makes her great, she is my favorite character. I love people who are overly dramatic, and she has actually got me into considering being more fashionable if I ever get the money for it.

I can relate to Rarity because of her flaws, they add to the character, not detract. So I find the use of her flaws as an argument for not being a great character...flawed in and of itself.

Also, Applejack lied in the Last Roundup when she was not under the influence of Discord, and she has lied on other occasions by not telling the truth (not really a lie, but not the whole truth either).

(edited)

dey just be jealous

If there is any hatred toward Rarity, it is probably due to her perceived snobbish nature, recurrent vanity, and occasional obsession with material goods. At first glance she does not appear to embody generosity; however, I tend to think of Rarity as a classic case of wanting to judge a book by its cover: she may appear to be conceited but in reality has an enormous depth of generosity. Rainbow Dash also initially appears to be in conflict with her core element: she is a showboat and a braggart with an affinity for wanting to be number one. It is clear, however, that Dash is truly a loyal friend. Unlike Rarity Rainbow Dash is a bit more of an everypony (everyman) which makes her more readily accessible as a character.

Rarity proves that those who are quick to judge a pony by his or her appearance are often incorrect. Clearly she goes the extra mile for those in need and by doing so breaks the convention of being a conceited pretty girl.

This covers lots of points. Imo Rarity represents generosity and has her moments in the show like all the other of the mane 6, most people who dislike her probably haven't watched too many episodes. People dislike her obsessions with staying clean and clothes but for me they can be quite funny.

Edited by JustTwentyPercent

I really don't dislike anything about her. The parts about her that most people don't like (AKA her stuck-up-ness) I usually find comical, not aggravating.

I used to put Rarity lowly at mah list, now she's 3rd place :). I used to undermine her for her whiny nature, but I now find that kinda cute :P. Her voice is quite sexy, and, actually, she's just hot in general (Call me wierd, but she really is beautiful for a cartoon character). I guess it's because she reminds me of this girl I used to be madly in love (Actually, downright obsessed :wacko:) with back in 5th, 6th, and early 7th grade :blush:. Both are hot, both have nice voices, both try to be popular, both have taste in fashion (Although the girl I'm talking about of course isn't so much into it as Rares), and both have a lot of friends. The big difference is one is human and the other is a pony (That and age difference)

• Brohoof 2