Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls is the Dragon Ball Z of My Little Pony

Commander_PonyShep

I know that I've already complained about this, and odds are this thread will merge with a previous one I wrote.  But I'm taking my chances anyway.

The reason I'd call Equestria Girls the DBZ of MLP is because of how ridiculously replaceable and disposable Twilight's real friends were, while their five human-counterparts become the Vegetas of this story.  That's right, folks!  Five characters I grew to love being replaced by cheap knock-off humans who will never be up to par with the real deals.  Just like the original cast of Dragon Ball, who had to be entirely replaced with Vegeta just because he was the dark, angsty rival to Goku.

Season Four better give Twilight real pony friends actual compensation for this.  If any time I see Twilight become the number one solution to everything, while her friends are reduced to the equivalent of the Dragon Ball cast when they were all replaced by Vegeta, I'm going to be pissed.

I'm just so angry and tired, right now.  This show was supposed to be about the power of friendship.  But Equestria Girls gave an incorrect message: That friends are replaceable objects who become obsolete once you meet up with new, "better" friends.  It's what Rarity feared in the second comic-book story-arc, which eventually turned her into Nightmare Rarity!

Why did MLP become such a hypocritical mess?

I think the real question should be:

When did bronies become a bunch ungrateful fanbags?

Seriously I am embarrassed by the amount of flip-flopping bronies have been doing since the finally got around to watching Equestria Girls on youtube.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

If I recall, everyone was still very useful until the Buu saga(when it then turned into "the Super Saiyan Show")

I'd say its more like GT if anything

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 2

I think the real question should be:

When did bronies become a bunch ungrateful fanbags?

Seriously I am embarrassed by the amount of flip-flopping bronies have been doing since the finally got around to watching Equestria Girls on youtube.

Well, it's true.

And besides, think back to Rarity during the Nightmare Rarity arc of the comics.  The reason Rarity became Nightmare Rarity was because she feared being replaced by somepony else.  Equestria Girls is a reflection of that fear, only this it spreads throughout all five of Twilight's friends, rather than just Rarity alone.

So technically, Equestria Girls is a hypocrite, and so were the writers when they wrote that film.  The comics said, "Your friends are irreplaceable, so you should cherish them no matter what".  But the movie said, "Your friends are disposable and replaceable, so if they become obsolete, get rid of them for other, 'better' friends".

I think EQG is fine, I enjoyed many of the references and the humor of Twilight being a human, and overall i liked the movie, my opinion won't change.

Of course it had its flaws, but I still enjoyed it despite those.

Also I think the reason why Twilight was so easy to dispose of her friends, was because they're alternate versions of her friends in the pony world, and thus she felt that they would carry on through the ponies. Since technically they're just alternate versions of themselves as humans.

Also I just think the issue with Dragon ball Z is it gets repetitious after a little bit, but eh.

Not a very good comparison I don't agree, Dragon Ball Z is good and has fans for it, just a little repetitious.

The message of the movie was that no matter where you are the magic of friendship exists, so the core message is still about the power of friendship(Which defeated Sunset shimmer).

I don't mind if you disliked it, but don't be a jerk about it.

It became a 'hypocritical mess' when people like you started cropping up and started nitpicking and dissecting everything that Hasbro and DHX does. Anything new that they try is put under a microscope and hyped to oblivion and then torn to shreds when it does not meet these bullshit stipulations set by these people.

It was explained clear as day why the rest could not go through the portal and she doesn't even stay in at world because she can't. She doesn't replace her friends in the end and the message is clear as day. If you don't see that, then that is your problem.

Honestly, people like you don't really deserve to the enjoy this show.

IThe message of the movie was that no matter where you are the magic of friendship exists, so the core message is still about the power of friendship(Which defeated Sunset shimmer).

No, the real core message was the opposite message from the Nightmare Rarity arc of the comics: Your friends are replaceable, so if any time they become useless, dispose of them for "better" friends.

Twilight's friends could've accompanied her into the mirror, and there shouldn't have been humanized counterparts of the five mares.  That way, her friends wouldn't become as useless as they were in Crystal Empire, when they were left to run the Crystal Fair while Spike is the one who accompanies Twilight, despite the fact that I hate Spike!

It became a 'hypocritical mess' when people like you started cropping up and started nitpicking and dissecting everything that Hasbro and DHX does. Anything new that they try is put under a microscope and hyped to oblivion and then torn to shreds when it does not meet these bullshit stipulations set by these people.

It was explained clear as day why the rest could not go through the portal and she doesn't even stay in at world because she can't. She doesn't replace her friends in the end and the message is clear as day. If you don't see that, then that is your problem.

Honestly, people like you don't really deserve to the enjoy this show.

I know that.  It's just that "disrupt the balance of the other world" was a cheap excuse to make Twilight's friends the equivalent of the original Dragon Ball cast, and the Human Five the equivalent of five Vegetas replacing them just because they're more resourceful and have more character-development.

(edited)

Well Twilight's other new goal was to reunite the human mane six together. 

She trusts in her pony friends, and she needed to help these guys out too. Think of it as gaining MORE friends, not really replacing her 'old' ones. It was her duty, but I'm real sure she seriously missed her pony mane six as well...plus, she entrusted Sunset Shimmer to the human counterparts, and left for Equestria. That's enough to know that she cared for them and wanted to go home and be with them. 

And Twilights friends wanted to go, and Twilight herself wanted them to come with her too. But Princess Celestia didn't allow them to. 

But just don't freak out, it's a movie, and think of all the things Twilight did for her friends. Don't dig so deep into the show! tongue.png I liked the movie, but just don't worry about it! 

Edited by Pixiesong
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well Twilight's other new goal was to reunite the human mane six together. 

She trusts in her pony friends, and she needed to help these guys out too. Think of it as gaining MORE friends, not really replacing her 'old' ones. It was her duty, but I'm real sure she seriously missed her pony mane six as well...plus, she entrusted Sunset Shimmer to the human counterparts, and left for Equestria. That's enough to know that she cared for them and wanted to go home and be with them. 

And Twilights friends wanted to go, and Twilight herself wanted them to come with her too. But Princess Celestia didn't allow them to. 

But just don't freak out, it's a movie, and think of all the things Twilight did for her friends. Don't dig so deep into the show! img-1632855-1-tongue.png I liked the movie, but just don't worry about it! 

Here's the thing:

I have a strong feeling that this will be a reflection of what Season Four will be like: Twilight Sparkle no longer relying on her friends and thus ending up as the Super Saiyan Deus Ex Machina, while her friends are reduced to disposable fodder.  I hope it doesn't come to that, because if it does, then I might as well send angry fan-letters to DHX telling them to fix MLP to my exacting specifications.

Edited by Commander_PonyShep

No, the real core message was the opposite message from the Nightmare Rarity arc of the comics: Your friends are replaceable, so if any time they become useless, dispose of them for "better" friends.

Twilight's friends could've accompanied her into the mirror, and there shouldn't have been humanized counterparts of the five mares.  That way, her friends wouldn't become as useless as they were in Crystal Empire, when they were left to run the Crystal Fair while Spike is the one who accompanies Twilight, despite the fact that I hate Spike!

I know that.  It's just that "disrupt the balance of the other world" was a cheap excuse to make Twilight's friends the equivalent of the original Dragon Ball cast, and the Human Five the equivalent of five Vegetas replacing them just because they're more resourceful and have more character-development.

Depending on your view of it, I still see the core message being about friendship's magic being present everywhere you go, no matter what.

If you saw it your way, then thats your opinion. Messages are left up for interpretation really in alot of cases.

I don't see them as being disposed of, like I said she knew they where basically the alternate version of her friends, so in a way its like she had the same friends the whole time.

And the reason her friends didn't go into the mirror is because the ponies aren't very knowledgeable of the consequences that could occur if they go in, so they didn't want to risk having disaster happen with all of the mane 6 there.

Also it would be hard to keep her cover if she had a copy of a bunch of the girls from Canterlot high as friends, not good for keeping her cover so she could get her crown back.

And everyones part is important to plans, if her friends hadn't helped stall the crystal ponies from losing hope they could have all gone crazy sooner and then been lost and unable to activate the crystal heart, they're part was just as important as Twilights, it was a team effort still. (Besides Twilight wanted to do it alone since she thought it was her test anyways), but this is a different discussion.

If your opinions still remain the same thats ok, but don't think you can change mine either.

But the movie said, "Your friends are disposable and replaceable, so if they become obsolete, get rid of them for other, 'better' friends".

Where? Where does it say that?

Twilight had to travel to an unknown world by herself, leaving her friends behind despite how badly they want to stay together, forcing her to seek the help of whatever ally she could find in order to complete her quest.

Take any college course in story telling and you'll find out that this is pretty much the most basic form of the hero's journey.

Twilight had to travel to an unknown world by herself, leaving her friends behind despite how badly they want to stay together, forcing her to seek the help of whatever ally she could find in order to complete her quest.

Take any college course in story telling and you'll find out that this is pretty much the most basic form of the hero's journey.

And the new allies in this alien world being looking and acting strangely like the people the main character was forced to leave behind, as a reminder to appreciate the people close to you, is a standard storytelling trope. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AndYouWereThere

Except there were moments Twilight did bring her friends with her, including the battles with Nightmare Moon and Discord.  Hell, even when Twilight had to find the Crystal Heart with only Spike, her friends retained their usefulness, as it was their job to stall King Sombra with the Crystal Fair long enough for her to retrieve it.

Yes, I am aware that I called them useless in the two-part Crystal Empire arc.  But really, I don't know why I'd do this, so don't ask.

But regardless, if there are moments when Twilight doesn't bring her friends with her and instead have to resort to somepony else, that's when you have what I'd like to call, "Disposable DBZ Supporting Cast Syndrome," or "DDBZSCS" for short, where the entire original cast doesn't catch up with the main-protagonist, and has to be disposed of for someone else who will never be a good replacement for the original cast.

Your kidding right?! Me personally thought that the movie was great. Like others have already stated Twilight was mature enough to realize that she didn't belong in the human world and that her original friends plus equestria needed her. Besides if it wasn't for the rest of the Mane 5 Sunset Shimmer would have never been defeated.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't really know where you're getting the idea that Twilight was replacing the Mane Five for "better" friends. For the sake of the storyline, the movie's message, and the fact that Equestria Girls is set in an entirely different setting, Twilight's Ponyville friends simply could NOT be involved in the story. Much of the movie involved Twilight rekindling a lost friendship between the Human Five and discovering that friendship doesn't just exist in Equestria, but is in fact everywhere. Twilight even says this, and it should be taken as the true message of the movie. The time she spent rebuilding the friendship between the Human Five wasn't going to be possible if all of her friends hopped into the magical mirror, and there wouldn't be as much room for an interesting story. By having two sets of the same characters across two different worlds means that they can do whatever they want with the Human Six in EQG and not effect what happens in FiM.

I find the whole alternate world thing confusing enough, considering there's another human Twilight in the other world, and there's each of the Mane Five in both worlds, and yet there's only one Sunset Shimmer between the two worlds. Ugh, let's not complicate things any further. I think you're being way too touchy about Twilight's friends. They could never ever be as useless to Twilight as Goku's friends in DBZ. That's not even possible.

Edited by Sugar Cube

EQG isn't canon anyways. I wouldn't be so quick to judge what's happening before even knowing what is gonna happen. I won't say I'm really keen on any of the mane 6 having a love interest, particularly one they picked up from a spin-off, it's not gonna rustle my jimmies because technically, it never happened.

• 1 year later...