Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pony stereotypes...

NeverAgain653289he32

(edited)

Oi, what's up guys?

Anyways, I really just don't get it.... Every time someone from my school witnesses something that has to do with MLP they think they are all unicorns. I mean Rainbow Dash has no horn and a visible pair of wings, but I guess since she is a technicolor mare everyone assumes she is a unicorn. Just because they are very colorful ponies everyone assumes that they are a unicorn. Does anyone else have that same problem with any people they know?

Yours truly,

RD4

Edited by Rainbow Dash The Fourth
  • Brohoof 3

can't say i've that issue, but its no surprise people don't know about Pegasus and such.

Old time myths and lore just aren't as well known or acknowledged anymore.

No more are fairy tales and myths told to children to teach them lessons and give them a good bed time story :(

So in the end people don't know much about brownies, Wyrms, Fae, Unicorns, and all the other mythical creatures that don't get mentioned in modern movies, leading them to mix them up and confuse them with other things.

Yep, that is the same at my school.  I dunno, maybe because no one thinks pegasus' are a thing in MLP.  I guess everyone just assumes they all are unicorns, because they are the most talked about.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

You mean to say that they AREN'T all unicorns?

Three years now I've been living a lie.

Don't expect the average Joe to have extensive knowledge on ancient mythology. ...Similarly, don't expect the average Joe to have any extensive knowledge.

Edited by Pinkie Pie
  • Brohoof 2

Well, the only one that matters is a unicorn.

I wouldn't think much of it.  They just sort of make assumptions.  Technicolor ponies=unicorns.  It's stupid, but what can you do?

• Brohoof 1

Cartoon ponies=unicorns? I can't say I have ever heard that one before, I would have thought that the assumption would be if anything that there are all pegasi because Rainbow Dash tends to appear pretty much everywhere.

Yep, that is the same at my school.  I dunno, maybe because no one thinks pegasus' are a thing in MLP.  I guess everyone just assumes they all are unicorns, because they are the most talked about.

I mean there are quite a bit of bronies in my school who know what's up, but not all of them are that nice. It's usually the really stupid people who say stuff like this the most.

Really? I don't have this problem, everyone I know took mythology classes in high school or already knew what they were(such as myself). Eitherway, no everyone I know knows the difference, but I can see how people from a city or other part of the country might not.

(edited)

Yeah, I get that too. It's annoying, but I got over it. At least I think I did. Hopefully, I won't snap next time someone says that.

Anywho, I don't really know where this came from. I guess bright colors+horses= pretty princess unicorns and magical rainbow tea-parties, I guess. Same concept as animal+Bipedal Movement= AUTOMATIC FURF*****RY HAHAHAHH GAY, it seems.

Edited by Yes-Something

pegasus'
Pegasi*

Okay grammar nazi urges suppressed for the moment, anyways people associate the ponies with unicorns because they look for excuses to insult bronies and their supposed sexual orientation, and unicorns are very commonly associated with little girls and/or rainbows, so the whole unicorn thing kind of makes sense considering what anti-bronies are trying to prove and what a non-brony non-hater may still inherently feel. I find the thought process of non-hater non-bronies to be similar to that of anti-bronies, they just choose not to voice any opinions they have against bronies and their opinions are often not as strong, but may still be similar to those of anti-bronies. Thus, I am led to believe that the reason ponies in MLP are generalized as unicorns by those ill informed on the show is because of the subconscious association of the show (and by extension bronies) with little girls and rainbows.

• Brohoof 1

Hmmm...

Well I mean they probably assume that since Twilight Sparkle (who's obviously a unicorn) is the main character and they often see her, so they get the image that all ponies are unicorns.

Plus, the title of the show "Friendship is MAGIC'. So yeah, magic=unicorns. :P 

I don't really mind this, I mean I know some people who think they're all Pegasuses. But those are probably the main reasons why they think all of them are unicorns. 

• Brohoof 1

Well, if they're stereotyping, and assuming that everything from Discord to Zecora is a unicorn, than that's their problem.

Can't expect everypony else to have two brain cells to rub together. :umad:

They probably think that because of Generation 3, where MLP was sucky. They maybe didn't realize that it's way better now. Don't worry though; once they watched it, you can say, "Told ya so."

(edited)

I think it's an unfair generalization that just because Big Macintosh is an eligible stallion who also happens to be a head taller than any other resident of Ponyville defacto makes him a memetic sex god. Regardless of gender.

Which is dumb.

Come to think of it.. compared to the other male options in ponyville itself.. i'd say it probably is a sex god....

i mean, look at the other male choices, Time turners a random appearance, Most of the pegasi are actually from cloudsdale and only visiting, and Mr. Carrotcake isn't exactly a looker... Can't really count the little ones, sooo... whats left?

90% of the male characters that ever show up are usually from canterlot, cloudsdale, or passing through.... Ponyville has some slim pickings...

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 1