Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If the Mane 6 were male...

Cwanky

Its been an amusing hypothetical that I've been pondering for quite some time. We've already seen what the Mane 6 were like as "humans" in Equestria Girls (sadly Spike got snubbed) even if it was non canon and we've seen them as kids. But what if the Mane 6 were to be male instead of female? For that matter switch the genders of Princess Celestia and Princess Luna and turn them into princes instead and change the show from being as primarily intended to target an adolescent female audience to a male one.

We do know its lightly been touched upon in Magic Duel even if the gender changing spell like the others turned out to be fake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aqTonSZwgTs

And its not the 1st time that Lauren Faust and other MLP staff used this hypothetical if we consider the Powerpuff Girls.

the-Rowdyruff-Boys-thier-new-hair-cuts-pAnyone who's watched Powerpuff Girls remembers these guys. Hell they're in the commercial villain song.

There's been a few fanfics of this sort but rarely anything notable. If not for interesting discussion, it'd make for an interesting future episode plot.

Oh and for good measure may as well turn Spike into a girl too. Don't worry Spike, like Equestria Girls, this will all likely be non canon and soon forgotten. Hopefully...

• Brohoof 4

Male nature... suitable for children is a question that should be asked here. We going off stereotypes or pg content here? Interesting insight i have to say (this coming from a non brony though)

Well your first question is this: "What would it exactly be like if Lauren Faust actually made them male?"

First of all: If they were actually male, and Lauren Faust changed it from the female to male, and completely r63'd them all to the ground, then it would be a little awkward to sit there and watch it...

Just think about it, male instead of female... We would be completely mind raped about how she changed it on us one day...

Plus, they'd all look different, stallions, instead of mares, and shorter tails instead of the usual quite medium length tail, and their manes would be shorter, and their voices deeper, them being males would also make them taller and all the names that they have now, would me more accumulated to the male gender, instead of something more for females (take example Twilight Sparkle, it would be "Dusk Shine" so according to random people)

It would all be different man, just don't mess with rule 63 of the internet... It's just all too complicated to explain...

It looks something like this...

800px-Time_to_say_Goodbye_by_Trotsworth.

As you said, there's already some stuff out there with the idea of a gender-swapped mane 6.

Applying rule 63 of the internet ("If a character exists there is a version of the opposite gender.") is very common in many fandoms.

In case some of you don't know about the rule 63 versions, the most common names given by bonies are:

Twilight Sparkle: Dusk Shine

Fluttershy: Butterscotch

Rarity: Elusive

Rainbow Dash: Rainbow Blitz

Applejack: Applejack

Pinkie Pie: Bubble Berry

Spike: Barbara

I already thought about the possibility of an episode dealing with male versions of the mane 6. Something with a failed spell that transports the stallions into our known version of Equestria. Dimensional travel. And in the end it is Twilight in cooperation with her male counterpart who open their way back to their dimension.

But that also means we could possibly see this:

prince_dusk_shine_by_evilfrenzy-d5tz5i0.

I'm okay with this. Would please my headcanon that you don't need to be amare to be an alicorn. Okay, not in case the rules in his dimension would be different.

And in case your jimmies are still unrustled or not rustled enough, or you like the idea, there are plenty of other characters in gender-swapped versions out there. Celestia, Luna, Discord... and so on.

Rule 63 is strong...

• Brohoof 3

I suggest that the OP take a look at the fanfic called "On a Cross and Arrow", an excellent fix which deals with the idea of the Mane Six going to a dimension where everypony has switched genders, and they meet their opposite gendered counterparts. Great fic.

I especially loved Rarity's romance with her counterpart Elusive.

• Brohoof 2

I honestly don't know what to think, there's just some characters I wouldn't want to see male. Personally, one of the biggest appeals of Rainbow Dash and to a lesser extent Applejack, is their tomboyish natures, and to see them become males would make them lose their appeal for me. On the other hand, I think it would be interesting to see Fluttershy or Rarity for example, would be really interesting to see as males, Rarity in particular would be a hoot to see because I tend to enjoy male characters who act like her. As for Twilight and Pinkie, they can go either way 

• Brohoof 1

Hmm... interesting concept. Though it really depends on how it's played, I'm not quite sure I'd enjoy it, Prince Celestia is just hard for me to type - just feels awkward and incorrect.

• Brohoof 1

Ah yes.  Good ole Rule 63.  As far as the show is concerned, what we got in 'Magic Duel' might be about as much as were gonna get.  However, some bronies have gone and answered this question already (read "On A Cross and Arrow"!  It's an excellent fic that addresses this very issue. http://www.fimfiction.net/story/755/on-a-cross-and-arrow).  For those who don't know, here are the fanon names of the Stallion 6...

Twilight Sparkle ---> Dusk Shine

Rainbow Dash ---> Rainbow Blitz

Pinkie Pie --->  Bubble Berry/Berry Bubble (I've seen both)

Rarity ---> Elusive

Fluttershy --->  Butterscotch

Applejack ---> Applejack (yes, AJ's still AJ)

Spike ---> Barb/Spines (Again, I've seen both)

Celestia ---> Prince/Lord Solaris

Luna --->  Prince Artemis

And it goes on and on from there.  There's r63 versions of EVERYPONY floating around derpibooru and deviantart!

As for the OP's question, IMHO, the Mane 6's personalities wouldn't really change that much as stallions.  What WOULD change is how they would be perceived.  I think that, while the perceptions of Dusk Shine, Bubble Berry, and  to a lesser extent Applejack (the male versions of Twilight, Pinkie, and... well, Applejack), won't change much as stallions, "Rainbow Blitz" and his huge ego would come across as extremely unlikable compared to Rainbow Dash.  Moreover, as opposed to Fluttershy, "Butterscotch" would be hated for being a useless wimp, kinda like how people hate Shinji Ikari from Evangelion.  And sadly, "Elusive" and his passion for fashion would just create too many negative connotations for the audience that Rarity never has to worry about dealing with.  You could play his more 'gentlemanly' aspects up, but I fear the ties to fashion won't sit well with some of the audience (Thanks parents of America!  >:-(  )

One of the advantages with female characters is that they can pull off just about any type of personality in a story and the audience can still like them/relate to them.  Male characters, on the other hand, don't have that same flexibility in relatability, especially characters like Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Rarity.  In short, MLP would not be as appealing with a Stallion 6 as the lead overall.  The show would be the same, but the audience appeal would not.

BTW, for a hilarious take on what the show would have been like genderflipped, take a look at Trotsworth's Brotherhood is Awesome! comic series on deviantart!  Don't take this seriously, of course!  :-)    http://trotsworth.deviantart.com/art/MLP-BHoA-314233275

• Brohoof 6

• 6 months later...

So people like making songs, art, and even fanfiction about the infamous stallion versions of the Mane 6. It is not really a pretty vision. I mean sure, Rainbow Blitz looks just like Spectrum. Which is cute, a little. BUt what do you think? Do you like the stallion versions of the Mane 6???

I like the stallion versions of the Mane 6, which we call Rule 63. It's fine if you don't like how they look, but to me they look okay to me since they remind me of a lot of good designs.

Lets_Sing_Together_by_Wicklesmack.png

• Brohoof 4

No I don't. I don't like the idea of taking a character, copying it and making something very similar.

There's just one pinkie pie and one twilight spakle. I have tried to like it but it just feels so odd so I guess I'm not really a big fan of r63

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 2

• 3 months later...

Hi there, . There was an older topic in existence for discussing male versions of the mane six, so I have merged yours into it.

Please make sure to run a search of the forums before posting a new topic to make sure that it does not already exist. Thanks!

(edited)

As for the OP's question, IMHO, the Mane 6's personalities wouldn't really change that much as stallions.  What WOULD change is how they would be perceived.  I think that, while the perceptions of Dusk Shine, Bubble Berry, and  to a lesser extent Applejack (the male versions of Twilight, Pinkie, and... well, Applejack), won't change much as stallions, "Rainbow Blitz" and his huge ego would come across as extremely unlikable compared to Rainbow Dash.  Moreover, as opposed to Fluttershy, "Butterscotch" would be hated for being a useless wimp, kinda like how people hate Shinji Ikari from Evangelion.  And sadly, "Elusive" and his passion for fashion would just create too many negative connotations for the audience that Rarity never has to worry about dealing with.  You could play his more 'gentlemanly' aspects up, but I fear the ties to fashion won't sit well with some of the audience (Thanks parents of America!  >:-(  )

Double-standards are horrible, but wouldn't this show just work around it? The characters themselves wouldn't be the same if that happened.

Edited by ~Happy Gilda (WCP)

Aw man I really wish they would do this in the show because my favorite pony of all time is an r63 of Sweetie Belle and if Silver Belle made it into the show then that would be really AWESOME plus that actually would make a good episode even though some call them "creepy" it would create a really great plotline and also show that MLP is not only for girls. One time I was in the basement watching Show Stoppers and my dad saw there was only girls and he didn't want me watching it for that reason so there's r63 problem solved. :)

• 3 months later...

Then the show would be even weirder than it already is.

Oh, and Lauren did little to nothing in the Powerpuff Girls, that was his husband's bussiness, Craig McCracken.

Just like McCarthy deserves more recognition for FiM than Faust.

Sorry for not having much to add but in regards to their gender bent names, I've always thought of "Morning Glow" for Twilight and "Sonic Dash" for Rainbow but I must say I rather light Rainbow Blitz...

I do feel some type of way about their gender bent personalities though. Part of my appeal for RD, AJ, and Twily is their personalities not being in the,well I guess, norm for their genders. RD being the athletic tomboy type, AJ being the hardworking, down to earth type who doesn't mind sweating, and Twily the studious one. Surprising, studious types are seen as a negative trait when it comes to female characters or so I've seen in other media besides the famed Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter series. I am highly interested in seeing both Rarity's and Fluttershy's personality handled in their male forms though. That would be a hoot. And quick google search of r63 Princess Celestia and Princess Luna...*faints* On a side note, I always wanted to see a male alicorn within the show though.

Eh, keep calm and flutter on fellow bronies.