Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hookah's.. anyone tried them before?

GrimCW

So my fave artist by the name of "Noben" made this EXCELLENT picture of her new OC and a friend at a new arcade in Ponyville, enjoying a Hookah after a long running pinkie pie fueled grand opening.

http://noben.deviantart.com/art/Time-Well-Spent-385901020

(Shameless plug of fave artist done, moving along :P )

many people mistaking the hookah as drug paraphanalia (of course... *rolls eyes*)

she then had to explain it a bit more.

I've considered it before, but seeing it referred to as the "Jelly beans" of the tobacco world it made me curious enough to ask a few questions at a hookah bar/tattoo parlor not far away. Not expecting it i ended up with an "E" hookah, and i must say i'm impressed.

If the real deal is as such, i may try it.  It'd be a nice break from the Pipe Tobacco i'm used too (though rarely indulge in admittedly) 

The one i got had a silly name "Magic Dragon" and i had to grab that simply over the fact i just put "Dragons fire gland" on the shopping list (the girl that lives in my upstairs started a strange fantasy ingredient shopping list one morning, so we've been back and forth on it since)

It tastes almost like a vapor of Blueberry gum and Mint without the heavier tobacco after taste my pipe normally gives (i usually have an apple blend, or a mix i threw together of Cherry/Black cherry/Apple) 

seeing the dif flavors has me wondering..

My question is, anyone here ever tried the real deal? and how was it if so?

It's pretty awesome and you can have many different flavors! I've have blueberry the most it's pretty good. I've also used one with vodka in it instead of water (that was an adventure) :P

(edited)

i prefer the strawberry flavor. and yes, it is indeed pretty awesome. i tried my first one on free festival last year and since then i just needed my own. it really is just very relaxing :3 definately one of those 'try before you die' things

Edited by repsol rave

(edited)

My interest is def peaked and nobens descript of it being the "jelly beans" of the tobacco world really had me looking, and its no joke! so I'm def getting the stuff.
Found a starter set + shisha/coal (random flavors) on eBay for 40 bux so we'll see how it goes next week.

Can't wait been looking at the flavors and wow... I mean really wow... Looking at the fantasia ones and its just amazing what they've got.

Btw how did the vodka go over? Gotta know :P

Edit: damned auto and finicky browsing on iPad chrome

Edited by GrimCW

I have tried real shisha/hookah, as there are tons of authentic places in my city!

I don't have it regularly, as I don't consider myself a smoker in the slightest, but the places we have make it such a fun experience!

(edited)

I have tried real shisha/hookah, as there are tons of authentic places in my city!

I don't have it regularly, as I don't consider myself a smoker in the slightest, but the places we have make it such a fun experience!

Heh i only know of one place out here and its an hour drive away :P

the joys of living in the country eh?

I don't consider myself a smoker usually either tbh, Only thing i've as far as tobacco goes is my Pipe, and i'm on the same pouchs of tobacco i had when i bought the pipe 4 years ago! :P

Not to say i haven't spoken to others on care, and other various points of importance though. But i'm still a complete novice in any of it.

tis rare i indulge, but i always enjoy a new prospect, and gotta say, the Hookah got my attention before when i was in the U.A.E, but i passed it up (mostly because the MP's would confiscate ANY such items despite they're 100% legal. The ships CO didn't see it that way. Damned druggies giving things a bad name all the time :(  )

Edited by GrimCW

Mmmmm hookahs..

I got a small hookah myself. This little angel helps me relax during the weekend or whenever I want to. Just pop in a small coal, some flavored tobacco and the party can begin. Listen to some random music and melt in your chair.

Cherry, apple and strawberry are my favorite, but sometimes MJ can do the trick too  ;)

but sometimes MJ can do the trick too  ;)

I'd never do it anyways personally, but i've read that MJ could destroy the hookah and leave behind nasty flavors of its own...

No idea what flavors i'm getting with the thing since they're random, but hopefully it'll be in before noon weds, so i can toy with it before i have to go back to the Vets outreach center. I say before, cause its a good drive and the hookah place is about mid way, so i hope to grab some more of this "Magic Dragon"  (blueberry mint flavor) and maybe extra coals.

I like to think of myself as a hookah enthusiast even though that mostly consists of me going to all the local lounges to try their hookahs.

I own a little personal one, the Mya Bambino. I'm not the greatest at packing it yet so it doesn't turn out as well as it should.

(edited)

I'd never do it anyways personally, but i've read that MJ could destroy the hookah and leave behind nasty flavors of its own...

No idea what flavors i'm getting with the thing since they're random, but hopefully it'll be in before noon weds, so i can toy with it before i have to go back to the Vets outreach center. I say before, cause its a good drive and the hookah place is about mid way, so i hope to grab some more of this "Magic Dragon"  (blueberry mint flavor) and maybe extra coals.

Most coals will last around an hour. I take it the E-hookah was just a little pipe thing, not an actual electrical hookah. Flavors come in all sorts and sizes but it's mostly preference. Some also like to use some type of alcohol instead of water. Just experimenting with the flavors is fun, every time you smoke it has a different taste to it.

While MJ can destroy the hookah it only really happens when you use it improperly. Like with many other flavors, the leftover flavors are always pretty nasty. Which is exactly the reason why you should clean it properly after every or some uses, depending on what you're smoking.

Just remember to use the hookah properly and clean it well.

The hookah you bought looks pretty swell, certainly lookin' good as a beginner hookah. It'll taste a little bit differently than a traditional hookah though, but don't worry about that too much.

Edited by Winterbass

(edited)

The hookah you bought looks pretty swell, certainly lookin' good as a beginner hookah. It'll taste a little bit differently than a traditional hookah though, but don't worry about that too much.

If/when i decide to upgrade any suggestions.. didn't know there was much difference between these fancier ones and "traditional" ones tbh. And what would be considered a traditional one?

I'm sure i'd like to down the road when funds are less of a problem than ATM.

Especially after a nice $90 botch that i'm gonna love anyways... Toyingly bid low on one of those SD Comic con Exclusive Vinyl Scratch figures and magically won it... normally they're over $120! But being Scratch i cannot think to part with it once i get it..... ugh..... freaken stoked about that mistake in an entirely good way! (shouldn't i be ashamed or feel a fool?!) Of all the ponies to be a fanatic for.. i have her on EVERYTHING, my phone, ipad, comp, shirts... and she's barely anything more than a 2 second cameo.. Derpy has more air time in one episode than scratch has ever had overall!

edumacate me here! :P

as is i'll hafta learn about cleaning and whatnot as i go, pretty much as i had with my pipe i suppose (TBH should replace my original Briar wood one i'm sure, but i've been told by a long time user that its still good, then he showed me a quick trick to keep it cleaner and tasting right)

Edit: oh, and yeah the E Hookah was just a little pipe thing. someone i know said it tasted right near the real deal too.

so that got me going :P

lasted me 2 days of on/off use for fun and getting others to try it and get impressions :)

loved how it lit up at the end for each use too, and stopped when it ran out.. may dissect it for that LED bulb though, can never get enough mini LED's...

Edited by GrimCW

(edited)

What's the difference between Hookah/Shisha and regular tobacco smoking, other than the flavor? Is there any tobacco involved in Hookah or is it something completely different?

don't quote me as i'm learning still myself.

but TMK Hookah tobacco is mixed with molasses or something else to add to its flavor.

if the real stuff really is like the E Hookah i had, i must say it makes my usual pipe tobacco taste as nasty as a dry cigar. Or kinda borderline getting slapped in the face by a load of cow manure laden hay.... tbh not sure i can describe it with things most would know about...

The E Hookah flavor was very pronounced, and sweet, the after taste nicer and almost as if i'd just chewed gum instead.

Edited by GrimCW

I kind of get the feeling that this stuff is going to taste like an electronic cigarette with a filtered filter. I'm might try going to one of these Hookah "bars" with a friend of mine whose tried it before. I don't want to be 'that guy' but... You only live once, I suppose xD

Yeah, but not in quite some time. If I recall, the hookah bar I used to go to I really loved this orange-type flavor that I just adored and got every time I went.

Other than that, not much of a comment from me. Was a fun thing to do with my friends, but like I said, been a while, probably a year minimum.

I have a hookah, it's pretty sexy, I recommend getting a small mya hookah, I have their QT model and it's pretty damn good, however the hose valve is almost at a 90 degree angle so the hose often gets loose...Also the hose it comes with is kinda shit, mostly because you cannot clean it, not with water, not with soap, nothing...Get a nammor hose if anything...Ummm, starbuzz shisha is the tits, it's a little pricey but it's good...Can't go wrong with tangerine dream, melon blue...

You're better off going to a hookah bar and trying a bunch of flavors before you make an investment, feel free to send me a pm if you have any questions or hookah issues.

(edited)

I love hookah! During the semester I sometimes go with some college buddies to the hookah bar down the road. We usually get two one-hose units and pass it around. Our favorite is blueberry, tied with a mix the owner made (berries and a few other things...so good!).

It's awesome in the winter, especially. Once you're done and you've got the flavor in your sinuses, go outside and take a deep breath. The cool air and the flavor feel awesome together. :D

Who else makes rings? I am a beast at making smoke rings. I can make a large ring, and then immediately make another and blow it right through the first one. The key is flexing your Adam's Apple (not sure how ladies can make this work :P), and making just minimal pressure changes in your mouth. This makes big, slow, elegant rings...just really fragile. Even the air currents in the room can destroy them.

But I just went on a tangent.

Edited by AtomicBassCannon

If/when i decide to upgrade any suggestions.. didn't know there was much difference between these fancier ones and "traditional" ones tbh. And what would be considered a traditional one?

I'm sure i'd like to down the road when funds are less of a problem than ATM.

Especially after a nice $90 botch that i'm gonna love anyways... Toyingly bid low on one of those SD Comic con Exclusive Vinyl Scratch figures and magically won it... normally they're over $120! But being Scratch i cannot think to part with it once i get it..... ugh..... freaken stoked about that mistake in an entirely good way! (shouldn't i be ashamed or feel a fool?!) Of all the ponies to be a fanatic for.. i have her on EVERYTHING, my phone, ipad, comp, shirts... and she's barely anything more than a 2 second cameo.. Derpy has more air time in one episode than scratch has ever had overall!

edumacate me here! :P

as is i'll hafta learn about cleaning and whatnot as i go, pretty much as i had with my pipe i suppose (TBH should replace my original Briar wood one i'm sure, but i've been told by a long time user that its still good, then he showed me a quick trick to keep it cleaner and tasting right)

Edit: oh, and yeah the E Hookah was just a little pipe thing. someone i know said it tasted right near the real deal too.

so that got me going :P

lasted me 2 days of on/off use for fun and getting others to try it and get impressions :)

loved how it lit up at the end for each use too, and stopped when it ran out.. may dissect it for that LED bulb though, can never get enough mini LED's...

Don't worry young grasshopper, I shall lead you through the many mysteries surrounding this wonderful tool.

If you're starting out you don't really need to worry about what type of hookah, you just need to make sure you get a quality product. Basically the different types of hookahs all have different ways of operating and can enhance the taste a little bit. Hookahs like the Malabar, Egyptian and the older Nargilehs hookah all are made of different materials but most are made out of glass and steel these days. The taste changes a little bit as the smoke cools down because of the different lengths of the hose. More older hookahs don't have a flexible hose but often use a straight wooden tube. This is the type of hookah you often see in more historical movies.

The traditional hookahs are the ones with a straight wooden tube, the other parts are made out of clay instead of glass and steel if I remember correctly but don't pin me on that.

Cleaning isn't all that bad but you should keep it clean on a regular schedule, depending how often I smoke I clean it once a week. Ideally you should clean after every use but the basic rule is after 3-4 uses.

And yea, LEDs are cool.

Smoking hookah is not as dangerous cigarettes or cigars but it still uses processed tobacco that has harmful ingredients. With that said, the smoke is less harsh than the smoke of a cigarette and its flavored.

Smoking hookah is not as dangerous cigarettes or cigars but it still uses processed tobacco that has harmful ingredients. With that said, the smoke is less harsh than the smoke of a cigarette and its flavored.

OR you could get those "Vapor stones" or whatever they're called that use NO tobacco and carry no risks :)

all flavor in a vapor...

saw them on a Shisha sales site here somewhere..

ahh here it is

http://www.hookah-shisha.com/c-1043-Hydro-Hookah-Vapor-Stones.html

Some neat stuff out there it seems  for the hookah's...

• Brohoof 1

OR you could get those "Vapor stones" or whatever they're called that use NO tobacco and carry no risks :)

all flavor in a vapor...

saw them on a Shisha sales site here somewhere..

ahh here it is

http://www.hookah-shisha.com/c-1043-Hydro-Hookah-Vapor-Stones.html

Some neat stuff out there it seems  for the hookah's...

Well if that doesn't beat all. I like smoking becasue of the smoke and the stuff you can do with it. At one hookah bar I went to they had PVC pipe you could dip in soap and then blow smoke bubbles with it.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well if that doesn't beat all. 

Yar, theres a few different types too, and asking at the smoke shop, the stones are use once, return to the jar, use again later, repeat until the juices in the jar are used up.

pretty nifty stuff.

Also picked up an "E" cig thingy for the time being while i wait for my actual hookah to arrive.... kinda irked i beat the deadline by HOURS and it still didn't ship until today :( so i won't see it till weds at least :/

The "E" ones though are nice, many flavors, no tobacco, and choice of Nicotine or not, and various levels if you do want it.

not fond of the E liquid i ended up with from the store though, no bran name, tiny bottle, lacking in the flavor... want more of the Fantasia stuff, but they didn't have any, and it appears their "E" liquids haven't been released yet...

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 1

I tried it once. Some friends taught me how to blow smoke rings, that was pretty neat.

We laced it with nug though, so we were all mad baked too. I took such giant rips that I was having chest pains the next day.