Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Handwriting or Typing? Which do you prefer?

Moonlight

146 users have voted

1. 1. Hand-Writing or Typing?

• Typing
    • Hand-Writing

I love both. I agree with what Artemis said... handwriting gives a sense of satisfaction, of gratification. It's substantial, a physical product you can hold in your hand and it gives you the more prominent sense that what you've just created is art. Handwriting is like fine art, whereas typewriting is like pop art, the more commercial side of things.

I'm a Lady Gaga fan, so I'm obviously the one to make that weird ass comparison. :P

Almost nobody can read my handwritting so thank God for computers, seriously. Typing is just so much easier for me because I don't have to act as translator if somebody wants to read what I write.

I'm a fan of both, writing is always fun. However, if I am truly trying to write up something, then I will type it out as I am, not only quicker (of course) than hand-writing it, but I can go into detail with what I want to say without cramping up my hand doing the same thing. I usually hand-write if I really just want to get something out and stash it away, possibly finding it at some later date? Or to create a base for a story, which I've done before. Easily turned 1 paragraph of the hand-written script into 3-4 paragraphs when I typed it all up.

Just so much easier to type things out when you're able to type quite quickly and accurately.

My hand-writing starts to look terrible after a while, though I find it's better for me to be vigilant on practicing it regardless.  I prefer  typing though, since I'm on the computer more...

Typing all the way ;) I get more done in a short amount of time, for example I can write a fanfic or essay in a couple of minutes once the whole idea's in my head. With handwriting it takes longer, and I get cramps by the end. I HATE WRITING FOR TESTS!! My hand always hurts afterwards and it just feels SO SLOW. I don't mind writing but I do prefer typing :lol:

• 1 year later...

I prefer typing as well. I type a lot faster than I write, it looks cleaner and is easier to read. Writing is a good skill to keep up with though, since if you're writing a letter to someone else, it looks more genuine to a specific person reading it if they know them.

I prefer handwriting over typing anyday. It improves your penmanship and you have to put more effort into it which challenges the mind. I feel like the only one in my senior class who still knows how to use cursive. 0.o Elementary schools stopped teaching it when I entered middle school sadly. It's a dying art that needs to be brought back.

Typing I don't mind because it's faster to complete essays and such. I'm in two English classes so typing I have to use more often because my school is very tech savvy.

• Brohoof 1

Depends on circumstances. Handwriting for note-taking since studies seem to point to that students tend to copy verbatim when they type and thus make worse notes and remember less. If you write them properly, you should be able to explain the last 2 minutes of class at the least. 

When it comes to communication, novels/fanfics, and other stuff of that nature I prefer typing because I'm a much faster typer than handwriter 

I'm a programmer, so I usually don't have to do much actual writing. Good thing, because my handwriting is absolutely terrible. I've also noticed that after a shot while of writing my hand cramps up because I don't do it much.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I absolutely hate handwriting. I can compare my handwriting to that of a third grader. A lot of people say my signature makes them think that I should be a doctor. To most anyone else but myself, it looks like chicken scratch.

Plus, I am a pretty fast typist. I know that because I can type posts that are about 1.5K characters in a matter of a few minutes, at least when I'm on my computer. If I'm on my phone, it takes a lot longer, partially because I have one hand holding the cable for my headphones in and also because it's more difficult to text.

Edited by TwillyFSniper

• 4 weeks later...

I prefer typing, now that I've gotten quicker at it. It's a lot more pleasant to look at than a page full of illegible words and crossed-out sentences, that's for sure. :P And of course it's more convenient too, especially in that it allows you to copy and paste... would have saved a lot of time if I typed up my revision notes instead through my school years. X3