Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Handwriting or Typing? Which do you prefer?

Moonlight

146 users have voted

1. 1. Hand-Writing or Typing?

• Typing
    • Hand-Writing

• 2 weeks later...

I like both. Typing is very easy thanks to auto-correction, while handwriting can be relaxing and is a fun when there's nothing else to do.

If I'm using a keyboard I'm familiar with, I can type about 120 words per minute with no typos. If I'm using paper and any kind of writing utility, I can write about 25 words per minute and screw up every fourth word.

I think there's an obvious choice here.

Most of the time I'd say typing, but sometimes handwriting just feels like a more... intimate experience. Like comparing digital music to vinyl records. Yeah, digital music is much more convenient, but there's something special about feeling a record in your hands and putting it on the turntables.

Edited by Omega Centauri

Typing all the way for me! My handwriting was never very good,nor was I ever very fast. Typing, on the other hand, is always legible, and I'm much faster at typing than I am at writing!

Mistakes are far easier to correct in typing than in writing, too!

While i do type often, i prefer handwriting in various circumstances (while writing down notes in class for instance) for various reasons. In some cases i tend to use a pen and tablet to write stuff.

Firstly, i don't make typos while writing. Missed keystrokes, rushed typing - none of that. Depending on various changes in the text (depth of pressure, smoother / faster strokes on certain letters, etc.) i can tell what i'm reading and whether or not i should skip without actually "reading", later on when i review my text - one of the basic pluses of handwriting (usually) is that you kind of "know" your own text and how it's formatted.

Secondly, i believe using your handwriting for things like illustrations, mathematical equations and diagrams and other more complicated tasks is much easier than typing out all of these on your keyboard.

I'd add that using a pen and tablet tool with my laptop gives me great advantage - i save everything on sorted files, but still write things in my own handwriting.

• 2 weeks later...

My handwriting is absolutely atrocious, hell, my youngest brother has neater writing than I do. So it's typing all the way for me.

Typing definitely typing for me.  My handwriting is not really that good so it would make sense that I would rather type out a paper than write one so people can actually read it. 

• 3 years later...