Zero

Have you ever actually completed a game of Monopoly?

I almost always finish the game. I have a very competitive family, and those games get brutal. I haven't played Monopoly in ages though, it's hard to go back once you've tasted what all's out there in the board game world. :P

A long time ago...thankfully. :mlp_laugh: The game is so fucking mind-numbing. :BornAgainBrony:

Yes, most of them meanwhile. Honestly? STOP USING FREAKING HOUSERULES.

No, you don't get all the taxed money on free parking. Suddenly, the game only takes roughly 2 hours!

8 hours ago, Totally Lyra said:

I almost always finish the game. I have a very competitive family, and those games get brutal. I haven't played Monopoly in ages though, it's hard to go back once you've tasted what all's out there in the board game world. :P

Which games or which kind of?

Same to me when I discovered Dominion roughly 6 years ago. There are a lot of awesome games out there, I don't want to play ludo/parcheesi style of games where I could just use a monkey to roll the dice and play the game for me, I need DECISIONS TO MAKE.

So, some (more) modern games I have gotten...

- Dominion - One of my all-time favs

- Android Netrunner

- (Magic the Gathering)

- Cat Lady

- Top Secret Spies

- Lost Cities

- Mice and Mystics: That dungeon crawler is SUUPEER cute and adorable, but the rules are not laid out clear and are too complex for the target audience - Not even me understand all of this, or not everything is explained.

- Thunderstone (Advanced) and a lot of expansions because it was on sale - This dungeon crawler has some issues though.

...or played:

- Las Vegas

- King of Tokio - This was pretty awesome, chaotic, easy to grasp, flavorful, but a tad bit expensive

- Magic Maze: A coop non-turn escape game where you have to get out of a supermarket after stealing equipments, but everyone can only do a certain action (such as only 1 player can walk to the right, others to left/top/bottom), special actions and the heroes having special abilities. Also, you are NOT allowed to talk to each other during the game. And of course, there is a timer running....

I've done it a few times before, and I don't mind it taking awhile to finish if I have nothing to do.

I've never actually even started a game of Monopoly – weird, I know. :laugh: I think I found the idea of the game boring as a kid, and after that, I haven't even been in a situation where anyone was playing it.

If I was to play it, I think I'd like to complete it – I usually find it annoying to stop playing a game before it ends (unless the game is something I don't enjoy in the least).

Just use the freaking official rules, it is not the game's fault if you come up with all kinds of your "genius" house rules and then complain why the game takes too long. ESPECIALLY free parking.

Yes! Back in eighth grade I finished a game with my best friend at the time and her family.

I won, by the way. :mlp_yeehaa:

Badges

FYI:  You don't get any money for landing on "Free Packing".  Stick to that rule and the game will progress faster.

Now if you really want to play a game that last all day, might I suggest Twilight Imperium.

Badges

I prefer house ruled monopoly. Maybe I'm biased because that's how I grew up with it, but it does seem to make it flow better. I play where Free Parking gives you money, but not all the money paid from taxes, insurances, chance cards, etc. is out in the middle for Free Parking. It's been too long for me to remember what money goes there and what doesn't, but, you know, it's a house rule, find something that works and keep it consistent. I also play with trading; the game is way too long and tedious without it and a good deal more cutthroat with it. ;)

A few times I have. Tbh I haven’t played much monopoly. Most people don’t want to play it lol 

Badges

Often. Even if it takes 6 hours. You don't get to be smarter than the Smarties and tougher than the toughies by quitting Monopoly.

Who has actually played Monopoly following all the rules instead of making up your own?

3 hours ago, Totally Lyra said:

I prefer house ruled monopoly. Maybe I'm biased because that's how I grew up with it, but it does seem to make it flow better. I play where Free Parking gives you money, but not all the money paid from taxes, insurances, chance cards, etc. is out in the middle for Free Parking. It's been too long for me to remember what money goes there and what doesn't, but, you know, it's a house rule, find something that works and keep it consistent. I also play with trading; the game is way too long and tedious without it and a good deal more cutthroat with it. ;)

You shuold give it a try, honestly. And be it just to judge about these rules yourself.

Just now, PiratePony said:

Often. Even if it takes 6 hours. You don't get to be smarter than the Smarties and tougher than the toughies by quitting Monopoly.

Monopoly is only for the toughest of all.

13 hours ago, Twilight Luna said:

Who has actually played Monopoly following all the rules instead of making up your own?

I have actually, and I have even won a few matches! The secret is just to like the game, if you enjoy it then time will fly away.

Badges

yes :p it doesn't take that long if you actually play by the rules. A lot of people seem to miss a bunch of em

Badges

Just now, Jokuc said:

yes :p it doesn't take that long if you actually play by the rules. A lot of people seem to miss a bunch of em

I was playing it with some flatmates a few years ago, each coming from a different family, I stated we will go by the official rules and nothing else, all agreed.

3 turns later, one stood up and backtalked: Oh, I do know THAT ONE differently!