Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why can staff leave edit messages and not regular members?

Ashley
Go to solution Solved by Quilava,

I've noticed that staff members can leave reasons for editing img their posts which appear under their posts, along with the usual "Edited by Member, some time ago".

My question is: Why can't regular users leave these messages? Is there a reason?

Mainly because mod/admin edits are more important than just simply adding to a post.

IE: After an important announcement they decide to add more onto it.

Most of the time users just edit to fix typos or something small.

I think its to easily explain why the staff member took the action of editing the post, when you edit your own post you already know why you edited it, and if you really want you could type like Edited because of *X reason*

But I think its just there to communicate to you why the staff member edited your post. So you don't freak out like"I didn't edit this...?"

I believe the reason they have the ability to leave reasons behind their edits is due to the fact that since they are able to edit OTHER people's posts as well (for moderation purposes), it is apart of their editing system/moderation powers.

This is just what I believe, hopefully a mod/admin can confirm.

• Brohoof 2

I believe the reason they have the ability to leave reasons behind their edits is due to the fact that since they are able to edit OTHER people's posts as well (for moderation purposes), it is apart of their editing system/moderation powers.

This would be my assumption, yes. I never actually noticed members couldn't leave reasons along with their time stamp for edits. Must have not been paying attention when I was one.

• Brohoof 1

I pretty much assumed this as well. Mods have to do it because there has to be some justified reason for editing a post while regular members are really only going to edit their own posts for small things and it's rather pointless to say "oh I edited this to fix some grammar" but no one will really care about that.

Or lets say it's "edited to not sound so volatile" or something along those lines. If the point was to erase all sense of hostility then why would there be a need to point out that the post was originally hostile which would sprout suspicion and arguments and ultimately is just as pointless as a grammar edit.

Personally I find it would just be redundant and be met with mostly apathy in the first place anyway.

I noticed it a while ago, but didn't think too much of it, and when i mentioned it to a staff member they said exactly what CD said. From my past experiences with other forum software that allows you to leave a reason to why you edited your own post silliness can sometimes comes form that, but it really depend on the user to how far they take it though. Which is unfortunate because it adds another thing that can be used inappropriately, and another thing that would technically need to be moderated, but at the same time also provide little footnote like messages that you only notice if your paying close enough attention, which can be fun when not incorrectly used.