Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sunset Shimmer's Backstory Comic.

Sugar Cube

(edited)

(I'm posting this here because it pertains more to Equestria Girls than Friendship is Magic. I don't really want this in the comic thread because it's inactive, but if it must be moved, then so be it.)

There's some pics of the Sunset Shimmer backstory comic if you'd like to read it. I know the quality isn't great and it's a bit hard to read.

http://i.imgur.com/E6itEFx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4pXNxIc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UbnehCB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/azy8FWE.jpg

I found this to be very interesting to read, so check it out if you're curious. I know a lot of people wanted to know more about Sunset's backstory, so here it is.

Cool notes: On the second page at the bottom, you can see that there are five unicorns who seem to parallel Twilight's friends in personality (Colgate, Lyra, and others). You can also see filly Twilight in the background, meaning Sunset is definitely a bit older than Twilight.

EDIT: I posted some better links. :)

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 2

DId you know Sunset Shimmer is my older sister? But seriously her backstory is something that needs to be expanded on. Like how close in age is Sunset Shimmer and Twilight when they became Princess Celestia's students?

(edited)

When I clicked on that link, I got a Big Mac comic, not a Sunset Shimmer comic... I mean I liked what I read of the Big Mac one but are you sure that is the right link? :)

The Sunset Shimmer comic is part of the Big Mac comic. I checked the link again and it took me straight to Sunset's part. That's a bit strange.

EDIT: Okay, try these instead:

Edited by Sugar Cube

The Sunset Shimmer comic is part of the Big Mac comic. I checked the link again and it took me straight to Sunset's part. That's a bit strange.

EDIT: Okay, try these instead:

Ah yes, these are much better, thank you! :)

I love this back story. I understand that there were time constraints in the movie so she didn't get the development that she really needed, so it makes me glad that the comic writers picked up on that and did something about it.

What they did with it was great. They really ought to do Flash Sentry next... who I admit is not quite as interesting, but he is the other character in the movie who did not get enough development...

• Brohoof 1

The backstory looks pretty amazing, sadly the movie wasn't able to capitalize on a lot of material about her. Luckily, the comics did what the movie wasn't able to do, show more of Sunset Shimmer's backstory. :)

• Brohoof 1

Would you mind posting the comics in better lighting please?

I tried, and I managed to make out a few words and pictures, but I couldn't really read it. Maybe it's just me and my computer.

Ah, well.

Would you mind posting the comics in better lighting please?

I tried, and I managed to make out a few words and pictures, but I couldn't really read it. Maybe it's just me and my computer.

Ah, well.

Honestly just buy them all they are all amazing!!!

I Wish i was at home right now so i could read mine, only bad thing about being on holiday :/

If they give two flying bucks about the quality of the movie we didn't need to spend money or time for the comic.

Just the fact that they prefered to explain it here and not in the movie sounds like they where planning this stuff from the beginning, wich adds even more despicable stuff.

Instead to explain the good stuff in a comic why don't they did it in the movie? It would really have been hard to make it? To add some minutes more to explain better her plan there and so making her more minacing?

The fact that her story is interesting make this thing even more bad.

Hasbro didn't really care for the movie quality, but only for money.

• Brohoof 3

Wow; that explains everything. PERFECTLY. How much did that comic cost you? I would like to have at least one comic.. ONE.. D: Or is that somepony else's?

If they give two flying bucks about the quality of the movie we didn't need to spend money or time for the comic.

Just the fact that they prefered to explain it here and not in the movie sounds like they where planning this stuff from the beginning, wich adds even more despicable stuff.

Instead to explain the good stuff in a comic why don't they did it in the movie? It would really have been hard to make it? To add some minutes more to explain better her plan there and so making her more minacing?

The fact that her story is interesting make this thing even more bad.

Hasbro didn't really care for the movie quality, but only for money.

I agree that that information should have somehow been in the movie, but you have to realize that putting ALL of the interesting backstory in the movie would have caused some serious pacing problems. When you write a movie, you can't shove every good-to-know detail in it and expect it to work with the rest of the movie.

I don't know why Hasbro only wanted a 72 minute movie. Then again, most movies made from cartoons are about that long, and they also do not get as much respect as a regular animated movie. Hasbro is not a serious movie studio like Disney or DreamWorks. Heck they showed the movie on a BluRay disc, not from an actual film projector.

Their budget was probably much smaller than that of a Disney movie. Just be happy that Hasbro DOES care enough to give Sunset Shimmer's back story to other writers for the show.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Sorry guys. It's not my comic, nor my pics. I found them on Imgur, so there's nothing I can do about the darkness of the images. The Sunset Shimmer backstory was part of a comic that was given away at the San Diego Comic Con, but it will eventually be released in a comic that you can buy in stores. If the comic ends up on YouTube, I'll post a link. ;)

So, any thoughts on this? I thought this explained things really well. Sunset Shimmer continues to interest me, so I hope they'll use her again, whether it be in FiM or just Equestria Girls content. My favorite part was when Sunset told Celestia that she made the biggest mistake of her life, to which Celestia replied, "One of many," whilst in front of a picture of Nightmare Moon and herself. That showed more character out of Celestia than we usually see.

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 1

OH, I think I know why the movie was only 72 minutes long.

This movie was made to be aired on TV. Like a 2 hour long episode, only with commercials. If a half hour episode includes 22 minutes of content and 8 minutes of commercial, that means that they would need one third of their movie block to show commercials, and two thirds of that time frame is for actual content. They could have made the movie a few minutes longer without digging too much into commercial time, but not a lot more than that.

As for the comic, I think that Celestia's characterization in it is the best part about it. I always liked Celestia and she is a far more interesting character when you realize that she can make wrong decisions, and because of her position in power, just how significant each wrong choice is. Makes you not envy her, that is for sure.

• Brohoof 1

I agree that that information should have somehow been in the movie, but you have to realize that putting ALL of the interesting backstory in the movie would have caused some serious pacing problems. When you write a movie, you can't shove every good-to-know detail in it and expect it to work with the rest of the movie.

Ok, but im not asking for all Sunset backstory in the movie i would expect some part. And there could been the place if instead to waste time for some fanservice stuff (You know, all the references) and other useless scene they could make the time.

This is not like tell half of the story, here is like they take almost all of it.

In the movie the only backstory we get is that she was a Celestia's Students and went rouge, they didn't really bother to give us much and in the end this made her less interesting of what the settings already have.

Le'ts make an example of a villain of a movie and comic book: Rise of the guardians.

He in the movie is nicely explain half of the story but it is not explained well, but is not like they said "Ah, Pitch, he is the nightmare king and so he likes to do evil stuff. Go get him guardians!", and still they made of him one of the best villain of Dreamworks.

In the comics they take the chance to explore him a bit better, but still what is showed really it wasn't neccessary for the movie itself, it just explain his relationship with the guardians.

Here is all the contrary.

And still, the Highschool setting for me it still kill what Sunset Shimmer would have been.

And still, if you make a movie, how much it would take to explain someone past? The Tai Lung one of Kung fu panda was, what, 1 minutes or 2, it wouldn't have take that long.

If they focused more on Sunset insted to inserting scenes like "The all-powerful and magic Trixie wants a snack-bar" or the CMC scene in the library, wich didn't serve any pruprose at all, there would have been the space for inserting a good flashback.

• Brohoof 2

Ok, but im not asking for all Sunset backstory in the movie i would expect some part. And there could been the place if instead to waste time for some fanservice stuff (You know, all the references) and other useless scene they could make the time.

In the movie the only backstory we get is that she was a Celestia's Students and went rouge, they didn't really bother to give us much and in the end this made her less interesting of what the settings already have.

OK. Question for you, then. What did they show in the comic book that they didn't include in the movie, but should have?

You mention a flashback later in your post. But what could have made this flashback actually give more information in a certain amount of time that Celestia didn't reveal about her in the movie? Because I'm not entirely sure if making this 8 page comic an entire flashback in the movie would have been good timing-wise.

He in the movie is nicely explain half of the story but it is not explained well, but is not like they said "Ah, Pitch, he is the nightmare king and so he likes to do evil stuff. Go get him guardians!", and still they made of him one of the best villain of Dreamworks.

Except that they didn't actually pull that half-assed description in Equestria Girls either. Celestia explains pretty well in what little time she has that:

-Sunset Shimmer was a former student of her's - her personal student, actually, before Twilight came along

-She did not get what she wanted out of studying with Celestia

-Because she did not get what she wanted, she became cruel and dishonest (meaning that she probably had ulteriar motives this whole time)

-She decided to pursue her own path in life, and she went into the mirror

-Celestia hoped that Sunset Shimmer would use the mirror to return and change her ways, but that never happened.

-Later in the movie, we find out that Sunset Shimmer never had any friends - and when she was transformed by the Elements of Harmony, she said that she had no idea how to make friends because all she knows is how to be mean to people.

Celestia never said, "Herp, she's evil and stuff!" While the comic expands on Sunset Shimmer's reasons for going into the mirror, it does not give any NEW reasons for it. Anything that Celestia didn't directly mention was either mentioned by Sunset Shimmer or heavily implied.

I actually found that the comic gave more backstory to Celestia than to Sunset Shimmer. I mean sure, it's nice to see exactly what happened to her in canon territory, but given the information that we got in the movie, anyone with decent talent could have written a fanfic that came to the same conflict and conclusion, just in different ways.

If they focused more on Sunset insted to inserting scenes like "The all-powerful and magic Trixie wants a snack-bar" or the CMC scene in the library, wich didn't serve any pruprose at all, there would have been the space for inserting a good flashback.

Those two "fanservice" scenes were not their own separate scenes. They were add-ons to scenes already in place, and each add-on took 30 seconds or less to show on screen. And those were the longest ones in the movie, so taking out all of them would not have made much difference.

I also explain in my most recent post (besides this one) why the movie had to be 70-some minutes long. I am pretty sure, too, that if they had cut the references/fanservice, they wouldn't have used that time to add more Sunset Shimmer backstory.

• Brohoof 1

It says "To Be Continued" at the end.

I hope they use it to fill in more plot holes. 

Like, how did Sunset know about Twilight?  How did she know the layout of the crystal castle?  How did she know where the crown was gonna be when she decided to steal it?

• Brohoof 1

Oh my! I want moar! Which comic is this? :D

I don;t mind reading more of Sunset Shimmer as a human. In fact, I think you should totally take a few more pictures of the book. Or if I'm completely wrong, and this is where the Sunset Shimmer part ends in the entire book... anyways, I'm thoroughly interested and excited over this book! :wub:  

• Brohoof 1

Oh my! I want moar! Which comic is this? :D

I don;t mind reading more of Sunset Shimmer as a human. In fact, I think you should totally take a few more pictures of the book. Or if I'm completely wrong, and this is where the Sunset Shimmer part ends in the entire book... anyways, I'm thoroughly interested and excited over this book! :wub:  

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Sadly, this comic was just an eight-page special that was given away at Comic Con. I'm sure they're going to do more stories about Sunset Shimmer, given the fact that there's a "To Be Continued" at the end. My guess is that it's just going to be the actual Equestria Girls comic that is coming out soon. There are still some unanswered questions, such as how Sunset Shimmer found out about Twilight. We'll just have to wait and see. :)

These were actually pretty good. I never really liked Sunset Shimmer until I read these. Character development always helps me like a character more.

I'm glad the comic helped you like Sunset more. I really like her as a character, so if the comics can do her more justice than the EQG movie did, then I'm all for it. ;)

It says "To Be Continued" at the end.

I hope they use it to fill in more plot holes. 

Like, how did Sunset know about Twilight?  How did she know the layout of the crystal castle?  How did she know where the crown was gonna be when she decided to steal it?

You read my mind. Now that she's in the human world, I'm guessing we'll have to wait for the Equestria Girls comic to come out. Maybe that's where they'll explain certain plot holes. This issue definitely left me wanting more.

• Brohoof 1

OK. Question for you, then. What did they show in the comic book that they didn't include in the movie, but should have?

You mention a flashback later in your post. But what could have made this flashback actually give more information in a certain amount of time that Celestia didn't reveal about her in the movie? Because I'm not entirely sure if making this 8 page comic an entire flashback in the movie would have been good timing-wise.

Except that they didn't actually pull that half-assed description in Equestria Girls either. Celestia explains pretty well in what little time she has that:

-Sunset Shimmer was a former student of her's - her personal student, actually, before Twilight came along

-She did not get what she wanted out of studying with Celestia

-Because she did not get what she wanted, she became cruel and dishonest (meaning that she probably had ulteriar motives this whole time)

-She decided to pursue her own path in life, and she went into the mirror

-Celestia hoped that Sunset Shimmer would use the mirror to return and change her ways, but that never happened.

-Later in the movie, we find out that Sunset Shimmer never had any friends - and when she was transformed by the Elements of Harmony, she said that she had no idea how to make friends because all she knows is how to be mean to people.

Celestia never said, "Herp, she's evil and stuff!" While the comic expands on Sunset Shimmer's reasons for going into the mirror, it does not give any NEW reasons for it. Anything that Celestia didn't directly mention was either mentioned by Sunset Shimmer or heavily implied.

I actually found that the comic gave more backstory to Celestia than to Sunset Shimmer. I mean sure, it's nice to see exactly what happened to her in canon territory, but given the information that we got in the movie, anyone with decent talent could have written a fanfic that came to the same conflict and conclusion, just in different ways.

Those two "fanservice" scenes were not their own separate scenes. They were add-ons to scenes already in place, and each add-on took 30 seconds or less to show on screen. And those were the longest ones in the movie, so taking out all of them would not have made much difference.

I also explain in my most recent post (besides this one) why the movie had to be 70-some minutes long. I am pretty sure, too, that if they had cut the references/fanservice, they wouldn't have used that time to add more Sunset Shimmer backstory.

Say something is rather different than show it and give much less emotion. In Kung Fu Panda they explain and give a nice flashback that make you SEE and FEEL how much Shifu cared about Tai Lung, and thus making them backstory much more interesting. Here they didn't show anything. Im not asking this in a book cause it would have been pretty hard to archive.

And think of the sequel. How much it would have make Shen Backstory if they only say it and not show it.

For answering to your question: a picture says more than a thousends words.

And again, it would have take only one minutes, maybe just 1 and a half, to show. Are you seriously telling me that they can't even afford to add some minutes in it? If so, at least work it better to find the time to give her the time give a good impressions. Cut some of the useless part, maybe some of the boring songs. It would give 2 minutes to actually explain better her backstory.

And still, this is not an excuse, if you want to make a movie you should thought well about the timing and all to make sure that the villain (or how other have said, the antagonist) give a good impression.

Say something is rather different than show it and give much less emotion. In Kung Fu Panda they explain and give a nice flashback that make you SEE and FEEL how much Shifu cared about Tai Lung, and thus making them backstory much more interesting. Here they didn't show anything. Im not asking this in a book cause it would have been pretty hard to archive.

And think of the sequel. How much it would have make Shen Backstory if they only say it and not show it.

For answering to your question: a picture says more than a thousends words.

And again, it would have take only one minutes, maybe just 1 and a half, to show. Are you seriously telling me that they can't even afford to add some minutes in it? If so, at least work it better to find the time to give her the time give a good impressions. Cut some of the useless part, maybe some of the boring songs. It would give 2 minutes to actually explain better her backstory.

And still, this is not an excuse, if you want to make a movie you should thought well about the timing and all to make sure that the villain (or how other have said, the antagonist) give a good impression.

All right then. I do agree that showing is better than telling.

But IMO there really isn't anything in the movie that I would cut to leave room for a flashback. Not even any of the songs, because the songs weren't pointless - the one in the cafeteria advanced the plot of the movie and the rest of them were there to make montages more interesting to watch (and the montages themselves advanced the plot).

I think that being legitimately upset about Sunset Shimmer not getting a flashback in the movie is overreacting. Hasbro is not Dreamworks, and it probably never will be. Of course Hasbro cares about the money - they made the movie to sell the toys, as they are primarily a toy company, whereas Dreamworks is primarily a movie studio. The thing is that the writers could have just left the movie as it was without ever giving us canon information about anything else related to the movie. But they decided that Sunset Shimmer would be something that bronies would read about or watch again if given the opportunity, so they took it.

Sure, a flashback for Sunset Shimmer would have benefited the movie. But you don't need to be disgusted by the fact that they wanted to put her backstory in a comic book instead. This situation really doesn't warrant an angry Internet post.

All right then. I do agree that showing is better than telling.

But IMO there really isn't anything in the movie that I would cut to leave room for a flashback. Not even any of the songs, because the songs weren't pointless - the one in the cafeteria advanced the plot of the movie and the rest of them were there to make montages more interesting to watch (and the montages themselves advanced the plot).

I think that being legitimately upset about Sunset Shimmer not getting a flashback in the movie is overreacting. Hasbro is not Dreamworks, and it probably never will be. Of course Hasbro cares about the money - they made the movie to sell the toys, as they are primarily a toy company, whereas Dreamworks is primarily a movie studio. The thing is that the writers could have just left the movie as it was without ever giving us canon information about anything else related to the movie. But they decided that Sunset Shimmer would be something that bronies would read about or watch again if given the opportunity, so they took it.

Sure, a flashback for Sunset Shimmer would have benefited the movie. But you don't need to be disgusted by the fact that they wanted to put her backstory in a comic book instead. This situation really doesn't warrant an angry Internet post.

I know, but if Hasbro couldn't work to much on this movie and give it the right time to put the right thing and fixing the flaws, they shouldn't done it like a movie and more like a tv special (wich it is in my opinion and even in yours if im not wrong). They could have made it just like a special, or directly on the comic instead. But no, we had to pay money for the cinema and for the dvd. Maybe if they realesed it straight on dvd with the comic attached it would have work better.

The song of the cafeteria was the only one that i would keep, despite the fact that i despise it just like all the rest of the songs wich sound like Randy Newman in one of his less inspired day.

Probably im mad cause for me this movie had so many flaws, but just because they didn't really care or they didn't want to waste too much time cause they were focusing on season 4.

Hasbro is not Dreamworks for me sound like Dreamworks is not Disney. Hasbro had at them disposition a world full of mysteries, with amazing creature and the best females character ever, and they prefered to make the movie about highschool and in the human world?

And just for selling dolls? Hasbro should learn a lesson about trying to keep a footh in two shoes. They should focus more about making good movie/special than selling ugly dolls. At least i could spent my money on worthy stuff.

Now let me say how come Sunset got this and Sombra got nothing? He was waaay more cool than her and a waay better villain and he deserves to come back than her. I would rather read a comic where he kills the former Crystal Princess Than Sunset crying because Celestia doesn't love her

• Brohoof 1

I don't know there were quit a few things that could have easily been cut to add a quick flash back for Sunset. Like some of the fandom shot-outs could have been taken out, or how about that stupid RD and Twilight soccer scene that served no purpose other than to tack on an extra 3 minutes and make RD seem like a jerk, and that Luna thing that lasted 30 seconds that added nothing to the overall plot of the movie, oh and Twilight getting used to the human world could have been cut a little they drove that joke into the ground.

This movie is like a Bethesda game.

• Brohoof 2