Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

anyone else finds the whole "20% cooler" a bit annoying?

Mywas

I don't see where anyone's getting the idea that people are acting like Rainbow Dash says it all the time. It's just a fun fandom catchphrase bronies use to spice up conversation. Every fandom has their own little memetic catchphrases and this one's no different. It's all in good fun and nothing to get annoyed over.

IMO, the fact people are letting themselves get annoyed at something as simple and commonplace as creating catchphrases from memorable lines just gives me this mental image of someone yelling "STOP HAVING FUN. MY LITTLE PONY IS SERIOUS BUSINESS."

I am not unfair, however, and I will admit that if someone's overusing it to an obnoxious degree it does wear out the novelty a bit, but that's applicable to pretty much anything and shouldn't mean the practise has to stop altogether.

• Brohoof 1

For me just depends on how it's used, and by whom.

Some of them are cool, some other are not cool at all. The core behind the phrase itself has been lost, which of course should be a natural and spontaneous  personality.

It seems as if some people were trying to push themselves to sound like someone cool without even being one to begin with.

Sorry for my english.

The 20% cooler thing is just plain out annoying. It just seems like no matter where you go someone is bound to make a 20% cooler joke. Its a pretty cool thing at first but now its plain out annoying.

(edited)

Only if a non-brony says it out of ignorance.  I would say that it is overused, even within the fandom though.  I think its alright because its sort of our "stamp" if you know what I mean.

Edited by John

I use itwhenever Ithink it's appopriate, and so do the other bronies I know IRL.

I also quote Rarity and her "THE. WORST. POSSIBLE. THING.Pinkie and her "Okie Dokie Lokie"

It's fun to do sometimes. but not ever sentence...then it jsut gets buckign annoying. Heck, I even say "Dear Celestia or "Sweet Celestia" sometimes instead of "Oh God or "Oh my god"

20% cooler is now a saying on par with meme status, a brony infiltration into non-deviant culture.  It may be annoying, but so is every knock-off of Carly Rae Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe" and a lot of horribly incorrectly used memes.  Also, the song 20% Cooler by Ken Ashcorp is pretty chillin'.

I don't just hate the "20% cooler" phrase, I hate all MLP references in conversations. It just sounds pathetically stupid to me.

• Brohoof 1

I have a problem when the phrase is used either:

1. Out of Context

2. In context

I never found it to be a great or funny line, just part of the script. I hold no special feelings of love for this phrase.

(You may now commence flaming me if you wish to)

I find it a bit annoying at times, and as sir loin said, when it's used out of context, for example "My burger is 20% cooler than yours"...my friend seriously said that to me once. Ah, but how can I complain When i shove Ace Attorney down everyone throat all the time.

I find it annoying, but only because there's one of those bronies who take it really far who goes to the same college as me, he says it all the time, and never shuts up. And when people tell him it's annoying he just brands them haters and acts like a real moron!

Extreme bronies are the worst. Seriously.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

If you don't like the way your friend talks and if you find the little quotes they use annoying then you should just find a new friend instead of complain. They don't hurt anyone with it and it brings them joy, the way they talk is a part of who they are and you should accept it if you really care about them.

I still can't even understand why saying quotes from MLP would be annoying...

It's not simply quoting MLP:FiM that is annoying, it's when it's blown out of proportion, and spoken constantly, sometimes even in the most inappropriate situations. It's like the "I'm Batman" meme.

Also, going by your logic, I should stop being a friend to a friend I've known since Elementary School, because he consistently repeats his jokes to try to sound funny (which is very annoying).

Edited by Alkryn
  • Brohoof 1

I think it's really annoying, overrated, and just pretty stupid. However, it was funny when it was first said but now I don't even want to hear it.

• Brohoof 1

Oh totally. It's one of those memes that was funny and original for like a month then BOOM people decided to totally overdo it. It was funny in 2011 guys, we need to move on. One thing I need to say aggravates me about people outside the fandom looking in is that the people like us, who are genuinely sick of that crap still think we're all mindlessly in love with the phrase. This includes even the peopel working on the show. If you need to put a reference in there, don't put in something from 2011.

Anyone else thinks being called a brony is annoying?
Anyone else thinks people calling Fluttershy thne cutest is annoying?
Anyone else thinks that people who say <name of a pony> is my waifu are annoying?
Anyone else thinks Rainbow Dash is annoying?
Anyone else thinks that people who moan about new episode are annoying?

I'm on the fence about number one and three but I completely agree with the others.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, I'm getting pretty sick of seeing it on brony merchandise, and people quoting it when given the opportunity to. Especially considering FiM has much better quotes to be used.

• Brohoof 1

• 8 years later...

I don't mind people use it here and there, but it does get annoying when someone uses it as their only 'brony phrase' or when it is misused like BrainyBrony said above:

On 2013-07-22 at 6:04 AM, BrainyBrony said:

I only find it annoying when people say that everything is '20% cooler'. I mean, for example, 'I just ate a sweet that made my tastebuds 20% cooler!'. No, you ate a sweet.

• 1 month later...

Hmm, this thread is 20% cooler now that it's been around for like 8 years! :P

Sorry, couldn't help but use the joke even though it's terrible lol. Anyways, I can see how it gets annoying as overusing anything can become annoying, but I always found it fun and enjoyable. I like making 20% cooler jokes.