• Sometimes.
    • I used to.
  2. 2. Do you enjoy them?

• Yeah, it's fun to be scared!
    • No! Why would I enjoy playing them?
    • It depends on the game.
    • I have never played a scary game.

(edited)

I play any game because I enjoy it, period.

In general, people who record their reactions (like pewdiepie, and anyone with their face plastered in the corner of the screen) aren't being scared. They're just over-acting to jump not-scares and being obnoxious because people with no taste love that shit.

That's another thing: Jump scares do not equate to a scary game. They don't scare, they startle. I've gotten more actual fear from Bioshock's general atmosphere than all the jump scares in Dead Space.

And Slender isn't a horror game. It's a walking simulator.

Edited by Xanatos
  • Brohoof 1

Idk, i don't really play many scary games, actually the only one that qualifies i've probaly played is slenderman, and i got scared to death first time i played that...

I guess its because its fun to do when you have witnesses or friends and you can laugh about it later idk, its the same as any other scary media i suppose.

I really haven't played much so idk, i don't like to be scared.

Different people have different reasons for playing horror games, so I can really only speak accurately for myself: 

I love horror games because I feel like they're much more immersive than any other game genre. If you create the right atmosphere with headphones and a dark room, horror games can really pull you in, and make you feel more like you're part of the game, rather than a spectator on the other side of a screen. Scary games are fun to play with the right atmosphere because they can turn any dark room into a heart-pounding experience that attacks your imagination in a way that makes you forget you're playing a game. 

For me playing horror games makes it so fun when its scary. Its hard to explain but if you like them, you'd understand. If you have not tried it before you really should consider doing so. /)(\

I guess they enjoy the game so much, that they don't mind being scared by the game. As long as they enjoy it, it is okay if they are entertained by the game and don't mind being scared.

I've started enjoying that genre of gaming. It's particularly fun when you're playing with your friends, of course. Sharing the same experience and jumping at the same moments can get pretty funny at times and it's a surprisingly enjoyable experience.

There is one thing I absolutely love about horror games though, and that's how well designed the environments are for the most part. One of the key things to get this sort of game to work is to make the environment as immersive as possible. I didn't really notice this until I watched enough horror games to start to appreciate the genre and the good level design.

I enjoy horror games a lot for a couple of reasons. First off, I enjoy the thrills that can be gained from playing horror games. It gets your blood flowing, and is just a really fun feeling. I also like horror games with puzzles in them. Trying to solve a fiendishly difficult (or sometimes just an easy puzzle made harder by tension) puzzle while trying to survive is very thrilling. 

I also enjoy playing horror video games for the same reason as horror movies. I think Pinkie Pie says that reason best here.

http://youtu.be/gG-L7dXaJFI

Some horror games, such as Ib, have a very artistic and unique environment that is very interesting to explore. I also enjoy some horror games for that reason.

Some people don't play scary games due to that they are too scary or depressing which is understandable. But I highly suggest trying out certain horror games like Ib. They're too good of games to miss out on.

I enjoy playing scary games, because I love the chill and the cold shock you feel when something scary happens.

Also, in horror games, the graphics tend to be excellent, most of the time.

People play scary games to share their reactions on YouTube and other websites so that people can see everything your seeing. Take this YouTuber for example: Pewdiepie. He plays scary games not only for the audience, but his reactions too.

I would like Pewdiepie play SCP containment breech with his Oculus Rift.

• 9 years later...

I hate playing scary games. It makes my adrenaline shoot up and I get very shaky after!

I don't mind watching others play scary games though, especially when they're being funny. Jerma playing Phasmophobia is the best thing I've ever seen, he's the comic relief while everyone else is trying to take the game seriously :ButtercupLaugh:

You can ask the same question for any other genre. People find it fun and enjoy the thrill of them. :grin:

I don't touch them, because they don't appeal to me personally and also because I hate jump scares. :please:

I'm certain there is an psychological explanation to this, though I'm not sure what it is.

As for me personally, I don't play horror games because they give me too much anxiety.