Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do/did your parents discipline you?

Moonlight

(edited)

Well?

I'm 15 but when I was younger and I misbehaved, I would get beaten with a belt.

Nowadays, I get screamed at when I misbehave. 

I'm a goody-two-shoes, so I never got beaten much. I get good grades in school and I usually keep my mouth shut, mostly due to my shyness. 

How about you all?

post-15132-0-71562700-1374701356.gif

Edited by WheatleyCore
  • Brohoof 3

Well whenever i dont do the stuff in home like emptying the dishwasher he is a little bit like RAGE to me, And my father is abit stressed so he drinks too much beer and wine, and has conversations with me about bullshit and he repeats his words too much, but i never get punched or so, he is just annoying. (yes i dont have my mother anymore she is dead for +-5 years)

• Brohoof 1

How they discipline me? Usually taking away my Internet. My father is really intelligent, and he learned how to turn off the Internet for certain devices. It really sucks.

• Brohoof 2

Spankings like any other kid when I was a little girl, but as I got older it was usually with a belt. :/ Nowadays, it's just berating, since I'm too old for anything else. xD

I don't know, I never got disciplined much. I was a pretty good kid.

Pretty good at not getting caught, I think. xD

• Brohoof 3

Well, my father isn't that bad to me but when my mom lived with us she would beat me, yell and scream, ground me. Basically anything she thought would make me stop. I think it only served to make me even more of a rebel.

• Brohoof 1

Ahh the old belt. Well all I can say is I'm glad that time is done and gone with in my family. My parents are both loving people and have given me much, but as a kid if I did something wrong it's a whack to the side and it's done.

Post middle school, I received little to no disicipline. Why? Cause I did nothing wrong. We are all pretty considerate when it comes to how what we do is gonna affect others, and if there ever is a problem, we just talk about it and try to find a solution.

• Brohoof 1

The belt was my discipline when I was younger, if I lied or if I didn't do my homework I would get beaten. Luckily, I don't get any beatings anymore since I am too old.

• Brohoof 1

My parents didn't believe in spanking so I was spared the belt. Discipline was a bit complicated in my case due to Autism they had to balance out teaching me a lesson while being understanding toward my numerous quirks. It was actually at its most complicated when I was in high school because while I didn't get overstimulated and have as many blow ups because of that I was extremely mentally and emotionally unstable at the time and had a lethal temper. I am thankfully past that extreme rage, and regret much of what I did at the time but I am grateful that they found that happy middle at that precarious time in my life.

• Brohoof 2

If I misbehaved very badly then I'd get a 'clip round the ears' which is essentially a smack on the side of the head. No belt, no object etc.

Most of the time it would just be a finger pointed at me and I was told 'no, that's wrong, you do not do that.' I don't think I'd ever hit my child though when I come to have my own.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

It was spankings and time outs when I was a kid. Those were few and far between though, because I generally didn't cause too much damage. Once they took my favorite TV channel away. I can't even remember what I did to earn that fate. =P

Once I hit my older teen years, it was pretty much just lecturing. I had to hear about why what I did was bad, but they didn't actually do anything that majorly inconvenienced me. I never did anything too terrible though. Nowadays there isn't a lot they can do to discipline me without going to some serious extremes, and I haven't done anything to deserve that and don't plan to. 

Edited by lincolnshirepony
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I had a normal discipline. It's good thing though, in a way I was kind of terrible.. So I guess it was the only way, usually it were just words. Just the usual stuff, nothing to whine about if anything, it resulted in me behaving well in school, maybe too well though.

It's important that parents discipline their kids, although too much discipline can have dangerous results. So it should only be used in moderation.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

My parents never spanked me or hit me with a belt just because they felt like it, they did it because I had done something wrong. And they never did it out of anger, they always waited out their tempers and sometimes disciplined me the next day so they could talk calmly and logically with me, explaining what I had done wrong and why I needed to be spanked.

I'm at the age now I wish I had been disciplined more. (Don't take that the wrong way, you pervs.) There was a ton of stuff I got away with as a little kid that shouldn't have happened. I definitely plan to discipline my children - they're going to be respectful and obedient. I want them to be creative and spontaneous, and thoroughly smothered in love, but they're going to have to have boundaries. All kids need boundaries, otherwise they self-destruct and could possibly harm themselves and others.

I am not "traumatized" by being disciplined. Sure, it was very painful, and sometimes I forgot what I had done wrong and did it again, but I'm twenty years old and I still have a huge amount of respect for my mother. I do not, under any circumstances, badmouth or ridicule her in front of other people, even my family. We have fights sometimes, but it's always under control, and we can talk like two adults now, instead of a whiny, petulant, wannabe emo and her exasperated mother.

Edited by DashForever
quoting hidden post
  • Brohoof 2

Well, my dad's preferred method was whipping my ass with his belt (leather and studded with steel rings, oh, joy!), but most often I and my siblings were made to either stand in the corner of the living room or bend over and grab our ankles - legs straight - for a minimum of half an hour. More often than not, though, it was an hour or so.

I did meet the receiving end of some outright abuse occasionally, where I'd get thrown across the room at full force, receive a falcon PAWNCH to the gut, or even be kicked with a steel toe boot. Luckily, these instances were few and far between, but those were definitely the breaking points at which I began to realize just how much I hated my dad.

This all lessened as I got older, when groundings became the effective punishment. When my dad left, I kind of became a little shit and took advantage of my mom's emotional state, as she was too drained to ever bother trying to punish me. Suffice it to say, I got away with quite a bit.

Being almost 25 now, there's not a whole lot my mom and pops can do to punish me, since I'm generous enough to provide groceries, dinner nights, gas money and various other niceties in exchange for them allowing me to live with them rent-free. During the worst of fights, my mom might threaten to kick me out, but we rarely ever fight.

• Brohoof 1

when I was younger and I misbehaved, I would get beaten with a belt.

Nowadays, I get screamed at when I misbehave. 

This, but with a few differences. I don't get screamed at, but in most cases a day long ban from any electronics, or one that lasts longer, depending on what I did. Both of them ban me from any electronics, as said before, with something else as well if I did something more serious to them.

If I do something more serious to her, my mother gives me a boring lecture where she keeps repeating her message over and over, and if I pissed her off enough, she'd lightly attack me for doing it. I'd react by usually blocking and enduring the light pain when I haven't blocked her off, all while she complains and keeps telling me to stop blocking her attacks and I don't even stop.

If I do something more serious to him, my father talks to me for a short bit of why what I did is not acceptable with a raised voice, and as well, makes me read and occasionally, watch a video right before I am able to use any form of electronics again.

I don't get get disciplined too much, even if I'm more likely to be disciplined because of my love of freedom, my rebelliousness, and my parents' dogma and reaction on certain little things.

• Brohoof 1

I have been locked in my room for a 12 hours straight once.  Usually, it was just some light blows to the arms or legs, nothing as bad as a belt (my mom is quite old but she would never even think of doing something like that).  Personally, I think disciplining children should never include beating them with more than a bare hand.

Usually, my mom would give me a good talking to about it, she might have yelled at me only once.  Things like time outs or being spanked with the paddle(it was a solid wood paddle my grandfather made) were usually reserved for something really, really bad.  I think it was worse when my grandfather slapped me with that thing instead of my mom, I couldn't sit down properly for days.  It certainly taught me the consequences of my actions and how unpleasant the reprisal for certain actions could be.  Also, to take responsibility for my wrongs and that it's better off not to do them in the first place.  Usually if I did something wrong, she would make me take a step back and consider why I behaved that way and was it really worth it.  She would often tell me to, "put myself in someone else's shoes," before saying anything or acting a certain way.  However, I seldom was punished because I seldom did anything wrong considering the punishment it could bring, guess that turned me into a bit of a goody-two-shoes...

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Well, when I was a wee lad, they would discipline me by making get on my knees or sit in a corner for a few minutes. That or slap me. They don't discipline me now though, mainly because I'm mature enough to act my age, not my shoe size.

Edited by SmartyPants
  • Brohoof 1

When I was smaller, they used to resort to whacking for punishment.

After that, they just decided I was too old for that sort of punishment, and resorted to taking away things I liked.

• Brohoof 1

When I was a little, I was a goodie two shoes so I would hardly ever get hit lol. Now, my mom just nags and stuff :I And I haven't gotten into any real trouble at school either.

• Brohoof 1

When I was little I would get spanked, but I was so well behaved most of the time that I didn't really have to worry about it often and the simple threat of a spanking was enouph to deter any budding bad behavior.  When I got older they would take away privileges and video games.  I knew things were really bad if they took away my non-school related books.

• Brohoof 1

Eh, i don't do much that is bad. so they don't typically discipline me alot.

My stepdad will sometimes yell at me and stuff, but he never does anything really besides fight with me. 

My mom doesn't normally do anything, but i'm still pretty well behaved for the most part, so its not like I need discipline i don't think. 

Even then, most of the time my parents only took my laptop, of course now i have a desktop, so yeah...

I think they took away the router once, or so. And use to unplug it back when i didn't know how to plug it in right :P.

My stepdad has no knowledge on the internet, so he can't do anything. lol.

I guess I have pretty lenient parents, for the most part, so i guess thats good.

• Brohoof 1

For a while they did the old spanking with the belt. 

They eventually stopped, but after that all they ever did is threaten to take my computer privileges away, and hell, I've used the computer for a majority of my life, and it's hard for me to go without it sometimes.

My parents were never too harsh. They knew their limits, but I wish instead of always disciplining me for misbehaving, they also disciplined me for not having excellent grades. I'd have been forced to work harder and get better grades than what I've ended up with today.  :(

• Brohoof 2