Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do/did your parents discipline you?

Moonlight

My parents also beat me with a belt when I was younger. Now we just scream at each other and they threaten me by telling me I can't go to my dad's house and that they will collect all my electronics from me. :l But lately I don't get in trouble much at all. Oh! I'm also 15~ ^'^

While my mother and father were still together (About four years ago, me being 12 years old), my father would usually resort to corporal punishment or a harsh lecture; the punishment being determined by the scale of what was done wrong.

Now, I don't really do anything wrong, considering I'm on the computer a lot just playing a game or something. Although, that seems to annoy my mother and it usually results in an argument where the topic would change from being on the computer, to paying bills. "But mom, it's not like I'm smoking weed and drinking alcohol like other teenagers!"

After a few hours, I'd be the one apologizing and she'd be the one lecturing me and seemingly making her position look extremely hard (Not saying it's easy) so I might offer her some sympathy or something. (Uh, don't get me wrong. I love my mother.)

The moral of the story is to not argue with your parents, EVEN if you have the grounds to win, because they'll be extremely flippant until they drive you into a corner and then you're the bad one. (Once again, I love my parents. Just putting that out there.)

• 3 weeks later...

Punishment methods, what did your parents use when you were young?

When I was in elementary, my parents spanked me with a belt if I talked back.

Thank god I was never forced to eat soap. Personally, I'd rather be spanked with a belt rather than eating soap.

Also thank god my parents never slapped my wrist with a switch or anything.

I was just a belt-to-the-butt kid.

• Brohoof 4

The old belt to the butt routine. A classic for child punishment.

As for me, my parents were brutal to me, especially my dad, to the point where not only did they beat me up, but also used anything at their disposal against me like kitchen utensils.

If there's anything I learned from that, is that I have grown dark, emotionless, and depressed like throughout life since then, and now, I take care of things my way and the hard way.

• Brohoof 5

It was spanking until I was about eight years old. When I was twelve, I told my mom to go to Hell. So, my parents took away my bedroom door, and my tv, gaming, computer, and phone privileges for six months. About two weeks into the punishment, I tried tacking my blanket above my door frame. I thought that I was so smart. After coming back from the bathroom, I found that the blanket was missing. It stayed missing until my punishment was over. It's a good thing the this happened during the summer.

• Brohoof 2

Well....my father would spank me with a belt, it managed to leave red marks quite a lot, it seems. It did teach me to shut my mouth quite  a lot. 

• Brohoof 1

It was the belt for serious offenses, maybe just a quick a slap to the head if I did something stupid. I got the hot source without milk if I got caught swearing. When I got to my teens and was too old for all that nonsense, I was merely grounded from the tv and computer.

Edited by Dinos4Ever
  • Brohoof 2

I'm glad my mother didn't adopt the soldering iron routine my grandmother apparently used with her.... She still has scars from that. I mean, I have scars from soldering irons too, but that's only due to my own stupidity ;)

• Brohoof 4

My parents used to "wash" my mouth out with a spoon full of vinegar whenever I used bad language. I know that most kids got a mouth full of soap however, I cant imagine that being as bad as vinegar lol .     Weird though I really like salt & vinegar chips.

• Brohoof 3

The belt was a big one when i was a kid.

Grounding another, Even got the soap at least twice.

Oh and had my room cleared once.

My mother had TERRIBLE aim with the belt though, and usually ended up whipping my back instead of my ass :(

Hell my mother strangled me once.. straight up simpsons style :) the dog actually flipped on her for that one though. Only time that dog ever attacked ANYONE outright. She'd bark at my uncle because he picked on me and my siblings, but she never attacked anyone.

yyyeeeahh.. the relationship with my mother was always less than stellar until post bootcamp (i went military and she went religious... oye)

Was even told as an infant I'd scream when she came near and do so until my father came about :)

My parents used to "wash" my mouth out with a spoon full of vinegar whenever I used bad language. I know that most kids got a mouth full of soap however, I cant imagine that being as bad as vinegar lol .     Weird though I really like salt & vinegar chips.

I'm not seeing that being good on a couple of fronts.. tooth decay being a major one.. straight vinegar is a great way to destroy every tooth you have even in short exposure..

hope they made you brush after each one...

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 2

My dad is very chill, he will just yell at me.

My mom would hit me, yell, call me things, sexual harassment, kick me out of the house.

Atleast I'm not being beaten for hours.

• Brohoof 1

Belt was never used against me. At least, I can't remember any of my parents using it. My dad however used to pull my hair and drag me into my room whenever I screwed up. Foul language was never an issue with me since I rarely cursed as a child, and in the case of bad school marks or anything along those lines I would just get grounded.

Physical punishment aside, my dad was always quite... 'radical' when it came to punishing me. Breaking my stuff, hiding it in tall places so I couldn't reach it, throwing it to the toilet or a nearby trashcan full of garbage, things like that. Worst he did was cutting the living room's tv feed wires, since I wouldn't listen to him while watching it.

Ha! Funny thing is, he actually was more affected than I was. It took a week to get the wire fixed, and until then my dad had no TV. I, however, had the internet.

• Brohoof 3

Not to sound elitist, but I never really needed punishment when I was younger. I just very rarely misbehaved. On the rare occasion that I did, they'd just give me a firm talking-to and a few minutes to realize my mistake and be sorry for it. Most of the time, those psychological methods worked pretty well.

A very notable instance was after I'd lied about doing something in 1st grade. After I got home that day, Mom started crying and refused to stop. I tried to calm her down by telling her I was sorry, but she kept telling me she couldn't trust a liar. After about an hour of failing with that method, I promised her I'd never lie again unless I needed to. 

I can count the amount of times I've lied since then with one hand. I just truly fear making Mom cry like that again.  :blush:

Edited by Yosef von Uzenvard
  • Brohoof 4

^^^^Almost all of the above

Daaaaamn.jpg

I'm sorry that your parents all abused you!!

:(  :(  :(

Hug-rainbow-dash-32312781-378-378.jpg

My parents just yell at me,threaten to take away my things,take away my things,and pull my hair!

It was the yelling that broke me down,I can't handle the pressure!

Scared_Rainbow_Dash_S1E16.gif

• Brohoof 5

Nothing to be honest...

My Parents didn't really give a shit about me... 
I grew up with only a mother, the most she would do is yell at me, Punch me a few times, but that's about it.

Other than that, nothing ever happened.

• Brohoof 1

My parents never used physical means to punish me, nor did they ever take away what I liked to do, except for one single time (CRASH BASH, THROW A TANTRUM!).

Instead, they focused on punishing me emotionally. My mom was especially good at this. She would make me feel like utter shit, saying that she'd "failed as a parent," and "was astonished I could even do such things." Her guilt tripping and harrowing words were something I came to fear and respect.

My dad just yelled. Loudly. Until he figured out that that didn't really work with me (I was a very sensitive child, and was raised to tears at the slightest thing, all the way up until I was 14). I came to fear him as a person, rather than loving him as a dad. He's since rectified this, but I'm still a little on edge whenever he's angry at something or someone, and I don't think I'll ever be as close to him as I am to my mom. Maybe that's just how boys are, I'm not sure.

They never touched me physically, and only spanked my brother when we were very young - he was 8, I believe, since I was playing Klonoa when it happened, and that came out in 1997, which makes me 4, and he's 4 years older than me (my mode of remembering things was strange okay?!). My dad recently told me that he desperately wanted to punish my brother physically for constantly tormenting me, but my mom had told him that that wasn't the way.

My mom has also told me in the past that physical discipline, in her eyes, doesn't work as a mom when you have sons. "Eventually, you'll outgrow me, and then what do I do? You'll be belligerent and hateful, and my mode of punishment is voided. It doesn't work."

It makes me wonder how I'm going to discipline my kids.

• Brohoof 2

I'm sorry that your parents all abused you!!

:(  :(  :(

I wouldn't call it abuse per say.

Different kids will react best to different punishment.

The sit in a corner and think it over won't work with everyone despite what some over educated schmutz will try to say.

Some kids need the extra reinforcement. Otherwise they'll figure its a simple slap on the wrist and walk away scott free with no consequences to their actions otherwise.

Def wouldn't work in my case, I'd mull things over and figure out what I did wrong to get caught then correct that next time. Never once would a boring "punishment" like that get me to think twice about doing it again in general.

I was always good at mind games, and my brain would process a lot faster than most.. sooo..  :ph34r:

tbh should've probably been in jail multiple times for assault back during my school years. But only once had I ever made it to court and the evidence didn't stick so the record went POOF.

Mind you I am NOT a violent person. thats not to say my teachers weren't.

If anything i was Passive aggressive, and thats apparently worse to some people :)

And yet I managed 4 years active service with a clean record :P

Hint: knowing the rules better than the other pony is handy, read read read B)

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 1

The sit in a corner and think it over won't work with everyone despite what some over educated schmutz will try to say.

Def wouldn't work in my case, I'd mull things over and figure out what I did wrong to get caught then correct that next time. Never once would a boring "punishment" like that get me to think twice about doing it again in general.

I was always good at mind games, and my brain would process a lot faster than most.. sooo.. :ph34r:

Haha, same exact way! The only thing sitting in a corner ever taught me was the importance of patience. Not a bad lesson, actually, but it didn't do what it was intended.

I remember once, my brother and I were fighting and my mom got so sick of it she took us both, put us on the steps and said "You're not leaving until I see blood..."  We both looked at each other and just said 'alright, I'm done, she's lost it.'

Edited by AS41
  • Brohoof 4

before my dad became an alcoholic he would just scream and beat the living hell out of me now that he is an alcoholic though he doesn't really care what i do. 

• Brohoof 1

The belt. Sometimes it was a wet belt. Why? I have no idea, I think the wet belt had more of a psychological effect than anything else. sometimes I got the open hand, front and back, depending on who was delivering it. As I got older, being grounded for sometimes a month at a time, banished to my room without Nintendo (my only electronic source of entertainment then). Solitary confinement...Ooh the emotional scarring lol! This realy developed my creative thought process though it was quite depressing at the time. I do feel I am a better person than some of these young whipper snappers nowdays.

• Brohoof 1

MY FATHER THREW GRENADES AT ME!

Jk, but in all seriousness, I only live with my father, all he ever does is scream, yell, threaten, get pissed off EVERY SINGLE F***ING DAY! and for literally the smallest things, such as a missing phone/remote, or being 30 minutes late form coming home from my buddies house. Kind of funny that he thinks this does anything to me though, lol.

• Brohoof 3

I've gotten spanked a few times when I was younger. I think with a fly-swatter lol. It wasn't anything major. I never really cursed. Now when I do, I just get the " I'm dissapointed in you" speech. The main thing was getting xbox and phone taken away. I think that's more effective than anything else.

Getting spanked with a belt sounds awful. I never really got punished physically, other than getting spanked and more often getting smacked on the arm. Other than that I mosly just got grounded. I never had to eat it, but I did have to have soap in my mouth a few times, which sucked. But at least I was never beaten.

But where do people draw the line between discipline and abuse? To me, spanking a kid with a belt sounds like child abuse. But maybe it's just because I'm not a parent yet.

Edited by Betez
  • Brohoof 4