Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do/did your parents discipline you?

Moonlight

Spanking (open hand), being sent to my room, getting a stern talking to, or the old fashioned "just wait til your father gets home." I didn't get punished often, mainly because I was good and didn't really do anything to warrant the punishment.

The worst thing I ever did was walk home from school when the buses were running late. I don't think I ever saw my parents so upset. Sent to room, MISSED POKEMON and received a stern talking. Didn't see that episode of pokemon I missed until I was much older. (It was a filler anyway...)

• Brohoof 3

Belts when I did something super bad, soap when I swore, grounding as an alternative. Later on my mom used the belt only as a threat and stuck to grounding unless I did something really bad.

Note that grounding for me was only not being able to play video games. Throughout my life video games were the one thing I loved more than anything. Even toys had nothing on a video game.

• Brohoof 1

I was a naughty wittle child, indeed.  :umad: 

I got the traditional spankings, belts, and time out corners. 
Got soap in my mouth once...my parents trained me right. >:3
Belts scared me more than spankings...time out corner? PFFFT.

Edited by Nature Of Fluttershy
  • Brohoof 1

I Used to have to go to the end of the garden and cut a switch off of the tree. And God help me if it wasn't big enough-dad would go cut one for me, and I'd get twice the beating. I got thrown across the room, kicked-you name it. He even put me in a choke hold once and made me pass out.

The weird part about it was that when I was getting bullied in school, and went to him to teach me to fight back, he wouldn't. When I asked if I could go to boxing training, he forbad me to go. I went anyway, then started Goju-Ryu and Zen-Do-Kai. Started lifting too.

The next time he threw me I tucked into a roll and came back at him. I'll never forget the look on his face. He beat the crap out of me, but I got a couple of good flush shots in-and he never touched me again after that.

It sounds bad, but it made me who I am today-and it's kept me motivated in my lifting and fight training, making me a good protector for my family. I don't ever want to be weak and defenceless again, and I train my ass off to make sure I'm not.

• Brohoof 6

The old belt to the butt routine. A classic for child punishment.

As for me, my parents were brutal to me, especially my dad, to the point where not only did they beat me up, but also used anything at their disposal against me like kitchen utensils.

If there's anything I learned from that, is that I have grown dark, emotionless, and depressed like throughout life since then, and now, I take care of things my way and the hard way.

My parents never punished me. I'm still unsure whether it was because they didn't care about punishment or just didn't care period.

It was spanking until I was about eight years old. When I was twelve, I told my mom to go to Hell. So, my parents took away my bedroom door, and my tv, gaming, computer, and phone privileges for six months. About two weeks into the punishment, I tried tacking my blanket above my door frame. I thought that I was so smart. After coming back from the bathroom, I found that the blanket was missing. It stayed missing until my punishment was over. It's a good thing the this happened during the summer.

Well....my father would spank me with a belt, it managed to leave red marks quite a lot, it seems. It did teach me to shut my mouth quite  a lot. 

I'm glad my mother didn't adopt the soldering iron routine my grandmother apparently used with her.... She still has scars from that. I mean, I have scars from soldering irons too, but that's only due to my own stupidity ;)

The belt was a big one when i was a kid.

Grounding another, Even got the soap at least twice.

Oh and had my room cleared once.

My mother had TERRIBLE aim with the belt though, and usually ended up whipping my back instead of my ass :(

Hell my mother strangled me once.. straight up simpsons style :) the dog actually flipped on her for that one though. Only time that dog ever attacked ANYONE outright. She'd bark at my uncle because he picked on me and my siblings, but she never attacked anyone.

yyyeeeahh.. the relationship with my mother was always less than stellar until post bootcamp (i went military and she went religious... oye)

Was even told as an infant I'd scream when she came near and do so until my father came about :)

I'm not seeing that being good on a couple of fronts.. tooth decay being a major one.. straight vinegar is a great way to destroy every tooth you have even in short exposure..

hope they made you brush after each one...

My dad is very chill, he will just yell at me.

My mom would hit me, yell, call me things, sexual harassment, kick me out of the house.

Atleast I'm not being beaten for hours.

Nothing to be honest...

My Parents didn't really give a shit about me... 

I grew up with only a mother, the most she would do is yell at me, Punch me a few times, but that's about it.

Other than that, nothing ever happened.

My parents never used physical means to punish me, nor did they ever take away what I liked to do, except for one single time (CRASH BASH, THROW A TANTRUM!).

Instead, they focused on punishing me emotionally. My mom was especially good at this. She would make me feel like utter shit, saying that she'd "failed as a parent," and "was astonished I could even do such things." Her guilt tripping and harrowing words were something I came to fear and respect.

My dad just yelled. Loudly. Until he figured out that that didn't really work with me (I was a very sensitive child, and was raised to tears at the slightest thing, all the way up until I was 14). I came to fear him as a person, rather than loving him as a dad. He's since rectified this, but I'm still a little on edge whenever he's angry at something or someone, and I don't think I'll ever be as close to him as I am to my mom. Maybe that's just how boys are, I'm not sure.

They never touched me physically, and only spanked my brother when we were very young - he was 8, I believe, since I was playing Klonoa when it happened, and that came out in 1997, which makes me 4, and he's 4 years older than me (my mode of remembering things was strange okay?!). My dad recently told me that he desperately wanted to punish my brother physically for constantly tormenting me, but my mom had told him that that wasn't the way.

My mom has also told me in the past that physical discipline, in her eyes, doesn't work as a mom when you have sons. "Eventually, you'll outgrow me, and then what do I do? You'll be belligerent and hateful, and my mode of punishment is voided. It doesn't work."

It makes me wonder how I'm going to discipline my kids.

I remember once, my brother and I were fighting and my mom got so sick of it she took us both, put us on the steps and said "You're not leaving until I see blood..."  We both looked at each other and just said 'alright, I'm done, she's lost it.'

before my dad became an alcoholic he would just scream and beat the living hell out of me now that he is an alcoholic though he doesn't really care what i do. 

I think you guys should really look into some form of counseling or at least some source of support!  And I say this not because it was your fault but because it will help you a lot.  I'm really sorry that you had to go through that and it was totally unfair.  None of you deserved the treatment you were given.  That wasn't discipline, that was abuse.  Though this thread is depressing, it shows that you are definitely not alone.

I remember, once, when I was five years old, I kept bugging my dad while he was trying to sleep.  I was having nightmares because my engenius twenty-two-year-old father thought it would be a good idea for me to watch Gremlins.  :P  He threw me outside, turned of the porchlight, and left me outside it the spooky woods where I lived.  I seriously thought I could feel little gremlin claws scratching my feet and back as I SCCREEEEAAAAMMMEED my head off and pounded on the door.  After a little while (which seemed like forever), he opened the door, spanked me, and went back to bed.

And we lived with post-traumatic stress disorder happily ever after. :)

• Brohoof 2

Ah, I was somewhat misbehaved.

I never got the belt. I usually got the "naughty chair", and the worst of all, the Dragon. If you are not familiar with the Dragon, you had to stand on knees and put your hands on the wall with your head against the wall on a broken chair.

• Brohoof 1

Philosophical consequences.

"If you do that, this'll happen." etc. It worked too, because they ALWAYS followed through with their punishments. They stopped short of belt stuff, etc. They didn't like the idea.

• Brohoof 1

For small stuff, usually just a talking-to. For medium stuff, spanking and maybe hair pulling was added.

For big stuff, they just grounded me and/or gave me extra chores.

• Brohoof 1

Well my dad always used spanking as the punishment... Like his hand or a belt... Then my mom used grounding but it would last one day and bam ungroubded she could never stick to her punishment xD never could spank us either

• Brohoof 1

I think you guys should really look into some form of counseling or at least some source of support!  And I say this not because it was your fault but because it will help you a lot.  I'm really sorry that you had to go through that and it was totally unfair.  None of you deserved the treatment you were given.  That wasn't discipline, that was abuse.  Though this thread is depressing, it shows that you are definitely not alone.

I remember, once, when I was five years old, I kept bugging my dad while he was trying to sleep.  I was having nightmares because my engenius twenty-two-year-old father thought it would be a good idea for me to watch Gremlins.   :P  He threw me outside, turned of the porchlight, and left me outside it the spooky woods where I lived.  I seriously thought I could feel little gremlin claws scratching my feet and back as I SCCREEEEAAAAMMMEED my head off and pounded on the door.  After a little while (which seemed like forever), he opened the door, spanked me, and went back to bed.

And we lived with post-traumatic stress disorder happily ever after. :)

It wasn't abuse. I was seriously out of line child. I didn't just tell my mom to go to Hell, I continued to recite every swear I could come up with (I learned then and there that I was quite the poet when it came to insults.) I just didn't post the rest of what I said as a form of  censorship.

That wasn't discipline, that was abuse. 

Please do go back and do read my second post.

It can be borderline I won't deny, But it is NOT necessarily abuse.

My mother did go haywire at times with it, and once def went WAY overboard. But in the end I do understand why, and the dog caught her when she lost it, and brought that to an immediate end.

Punishment as such had survived for many ages for a reason, it was EFFECTIVE. Fear of it kept people in line. 

Meanwhile, the light hearted,  easy going, hippy thing often used today... not so effective in more cases than it is. I'm sorry, but it just isn't.

Giving a slap on the wrist and free room/board is hardly punishment befitting crimes often committed.

I'd hate to admit it, as I'm hardly religious, but it is one of the very few things I agree with the bible thumpers on. Def not the phsyco extremist ones of course, but the more down to earth ones.

Sparing the rod is not a good idea in some cases, let the punishment befit the crime. 

That whole "but that doesn't make us any better than them!" cry is weakness, and it gives them the power of fear over us, while showing others like them that its possible to just walk away from it since the punishment is an easy life.

Devoid of privacy sure, but its hardly as bad as hard working people who get driven onto the streets end up with. Some left with no choice but to resort to petty crime just to have a warm bed.

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 1

Well, my parents don't punish me alot, i typically correct myself, or don't do stuff they really need to punish me for alot.

My stepdad yells at me alot, but he doesn't technically have much authority over me. Plus he yells at me and my mom for pointless stuff, hes kinda stubborn and always has to be right.

My mom doesn't really punish me much, but when she does she threatens to take away computers or stuff, and takes it away at times.

When i was younger they punished me more and took away stuff more, now a days i don't get punished much by them, dunno why, i guess its not normally necessary, normally threats for stuff is far enough.

My dad since my parents split hasn't ever punished me, since i'm at my moms house more then his, and its not really required when i'm with him.

So yeah, i don't really get any big punishments, i guess i'm lucky?

• Brohoof 3

Some of the answers here are just... Amusing.

Maybe it's true that different children will react to different "techniques". But I don't know about physical punishment. All it did for me was to hate my mother, because my father never needed that to make me see that I've been misbehaving, and why it was wrong. You see, my father talked to me... I was a child, not a beast. I could understand stuff when it was explained. Actually, most of the time my mother spanked me I'd didn't even really understand why what I did was wrong. Of course, I never even realized this until i was older. Not to mention all the bullshit she put me through. So my hatred of her may not come solely from this.

Anyway, the real reason I dislike physical punishment is that I don't know of parents that really do it as punishment, rather as a way of taking out frustration. There is a lot of emotion involved in it when I think of a spanking in the real world and not many of them tend to revolve around good parenting. The line between love and abuse is way too thin here.

• Brohoof 3

My parents were always nice and loving, but my brother and I got into fights so often it was hard to believe, and we would end up in fist fights trying to damn near kill each other.  My mom got sick of it one day and just snapped.  That never happened again, and things around the house actually started calming down after she pulled that one.  We just laugh about it now.

• Brohoof 1

Only my grandfather and grandmother ever hit me, and I usually deserved it. Never could behave myself, what with my nasty case of sticky fingers. My parents would usually go with silent disappointment, which was worse than my grandparents punishments. At least theirs would heal (mostly) over time. My parents always made me feel awful  :(

• Brohoof 1

Actually, most of the time my mother spanked me I'd didn't even really understand why what I did was wrong. Of course, I never even realized this until i was older.

Theres a phrase for this then.

you_are_doing_it_wrong.jpg

I'm assuming she never explained the reasoning before or after?

Punishment alone is obviously a blank thing.

Theres always a need to explain things to a child, even if they already understand it, just to drive the point home it needs to be explained.

The punishment combined pushes the mentality of not wanting to do it again.

If one of these elements is MIA, more oft than not the child isn't going to find reason to not do it again, or just end up hating you (as seems to be your case)

Much like a criminal has the charges EXPLAINED to them (why would they need this?!?!... exactly!) A child needs to know WHY they're being punished.

Explaining the situation alone may work in some situations, but in others a right good spanking may be needed to enforce the explanation and drive the point home. Negative action, negative reaction.

Not saying always does the extreme need to be there, just sometimes if the problem is repetitive or extreme.

Edited by GrimCW

Just simple stuff. When I was in elementary, they did such thing as taking away my games or toys, slapping me, and making me sit in the corner. I daresay that sitting in the corner was the most foul punishment of the three. Gee, why don't you put a hat on my head that says "stupid meanie" while you're at it. I called it the corner of shame.

After elementary and middle school my parents stopped punishing me. It was mainly because I grew up by then and didn't give any more trouble. I'm so chill.

• Brohoof 1

Ah punishment as a kid... looking back I can honestly say that I deserved every punishment I got. It has definitely made me a better person and I am glad my dad cared enough to make me a good person.

For punishment my dad would make me and my sister stand in the corner silently for 5-10 minutes. It felt like hours and we weren't allowed to talk until my dad came over and made us understand what we did wrong.

The only other punishment I got was when my dad would pinch my cheeks together and yell at me when he was really pissed.

• Brohoof 1

Theres a phrase for this then.

img-1750764-1-you_are_doing_it_wrong.jpg

I'm assuming she never explained the reasoning before or after?

Punishment alone is obviously a blank thing.

Theres always a need to explain things to a child, even if they already understand it, just to drive the point home it needs to be explained.

The punishment combined pushes the mentality of not wanting to do it again.

If one of these elements is MIA, more oft than not the child isn't going to find reason to not do it again, or just end up hating you (as seems to be your case)

Much like a criminal has the charges EXPLAINED to them (why would they need this?!?!... exactly!) A child needs to know WHY they're being punished.

Explaining the situation alone may work in some situations, but in others a right good spanking may be needed to enforce the explanation and drive the point home. Negative action, negative reaction.

Not saying always does the extreme need to be there, just sometimes if the problem is repetitive or extreme.

I'm just loving the picture.

And of course she didn't. All I got was "X is wrong". And most of the time, it was over something so trivial that it really makes me think that she was taking out her frustrations on me.

This is just an example though. My point is what is wrong with parents? If you can't make your point understood then you are probably wrong or an idiot. And this goes back to my point that children are not mindless beasts. They can talk, they can understand. Or was I the only one that could hold a conversation and see that I was wrong?

And another thing. Parents don't beat their children thinking of the beautiful things they will be when they grow up. It's violence. Period. Can easily go overboard, if it isn't already. All this talk is rationalization of the problem. Reminds of people talking about how the husband needs to educate his wife.

Of course people don't become traumatized. Because they grow up, they rationalize, they think that their parents cared very much for them and they were doing their best or they just don't care anymore, maybe they set themselves free. Just like those wives that think it's perfectly normal to be slapped in the face by her husband. After all, it WAS her fault...

I just don't believe that you have good children that are like little angels and children that are so bad that they need a beating in order to behave, like they are somehow inferior or evil, or any other way you can call them.

With all that that I said, I've known some annoying children, in my time during pediatrics internship at college, that just wouldn't stay still, shut the hell up and let me do my freaking job! Usually they calmed down when my teacher would come into the room and talk some sense into them. I think it's the authority, something that I believe that parents have lost and I don't know why. Maybe it's because the doctor is wearing the dreaded white coat and the fact that don't live with the doctor, while their parents have made too many threats that didn't come true and now the children don't believe that they will be punished. It comes to a point when sitting in a corner just doesn't bother so much and the only thing that will make them behave is the threat of a beating, because it comes with pain, shame.

I know it sounds like I'm contradicting myself, but my point is that this is the parent's fault ad not the children's. And I'm not trying to prove you wrong, I'm interested in the conversation.

• Brohoof 2

well my parents are relatively nice people i never got spanked, all i ever got was just shouted at or made to sit on the *shiver* "naughty step"

Edited by Vermillion
  • Brohoof 1

My parents never punished me. I'm still unsure whether it was because they didn't care about punishment or just didn't care period.

That's hard to believe. Not once in your life did they ever get on your back for something you did wrong? Did they ever even randomly blow up at you?

My parents spanked me and yelled a lot. By the time I was too old for spankings I had also grown accustomed to the yelling so they no longer held any power over me from the time I was about thirteen until the time I moved out. Spanking (without implements, even!) and yelling, that's all. It doesn't seem like much when compared to some of he stuff mentioned in this thread, but it was enough for me to decide to cut ties with them in my adult life. A parent should NEVER hit a child, regardless of how soft their hand may be or how legal and socially acceptable the act of hitting the child is. When you are the primary caregiver of a child, the child knows it. You are the source of all the things that child needs to survive including food, shelter, and love. When the person who takes care of your needs and tells you they love you also purposefully inflicts pain of any kind on you, it sends a pretty screwed up message. And it is an abuse cycle. It's okay for a parent to get angry or frustrated with a child, but there are better ways of dealing with those feelings. Violence needs to stop being a trait of humanity, and refusing to be violent with our children will help to banish negativity from our culture.

From what I hear, my mother cries herself to sleep quite often, regretting the mistakes she made which drove me from her. She is a lonely old lady and if my father passes away before she does, she will have no one to comfort her as she grows old and decrepit. She will probably die alone. All because of a couple of years of spankings and some loud, mean spirited words. Think about that when you're choosing your own parenting methods.

I don't think that any of the mane six would hit their kids.

• Brohoof 3