Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do/did your parents discipline you?

Moonlight

ehh, im in southern america soo... backwoods folks arent known for being soft. But hey, i learned to cook, clean, vacuum, sweep, mow, whole nine yards by like 7 years old, i ant complain! :)

Same here.......as a American, Spanish decent, I had to learn things like that, which surprises me that many American families learn in there late teens which is sad, IMO. 

Edited by Promethean Alicorn
  • Brohoof 1

nothing saddens me more than seeing a good friend struggle to live on their own because they wernt taught life skills as children. I think basic firearm safety, machine/welding skills, outdoor survival, carpentry, and finances should be taught during childhood, but noone else i knows parents taught them. :(

When I was younger (6-9 years old) I would be grounded.

When I was a little older (10-15) I was not allowed to see my friends,

When I was older than that (16-17 years old) my mom would take my phone away.

Now, I am 19. If I or any other of siblings do something wrong, we don't get grounded. We just get something taken away such as our phones, out car privileges, etc.

However, my father tends to get physical with me and hurts me.

My parents don't believe in physical punishment, so I'd mostly get a stern talking to or get grounded. Hell, when I do something wrong, I make myself feel worse than they ever could and they know it, but it messes with me pretty bad.

Ok, sorry. "TV privileges" means basically " you're not allowed to watch TV for(insert of time here.)" and "allowances" with most kids( when I was a kid at least) they got a certain amount of money from their parents every week. Like for example my parents gave me 20 dollars a week, if I got in trouble my parents wouldn't give me 20 dollars for a week or two.

They used to spank me and sometimes took out the belt, until one time I was misbehaving in the car and my Mom got really angry and reached back to attack me but she missed and ended up breaking her nail right off and it was bleeding. I think they might have been feeling guilty about it beforehand too. They didn't do it much, though, they mainly just yelled at me and told me to go to my room.

I was never physically punished by my mother, but my father would do almost anything to make me behave.

He never went farther than dragging me by my feet (sometimes up the stairs ;-; ) to my bedroom and locking me there for a few hours, and I'm really glad I wasn't treated the way my mother was when she was younger.

She told me whenever she did something wrong/bad she would get spanked with one of those huge wooden cooking spoons, and when she didn't sit up straight at the table her (abusive) dad would stab her back with a fork.

Edited by Little_Uni

Spanked and slapped quite a few times. I was a right arsehole growing up. I remember one time by Dad tackled me to the ground and slapped the bejesus out of me because I slapped my sister for watching me play football. I don't know why I did it and, looking back, I realise that I was quite a cunt to deal with.

Those slaps changed me, made me more collected and carefully considerate of those around me. Taught me to be respectful. I imagine if Dad just yelled at me, i'd like the majority of the youth in England today: Feral, ignorant and worthy of being shot.

At least in real life. Online, I don't have to worry about being slapped, so I can be an arsehole all I want!

My parents never used any physical abuse against me, because unlike ALL of the parents you guys are describing, my parents actually knew the difference between dealing with their kid in a civilised matter and outright ruining their kid's life.

Whenever I got in trouble, they'd just give me a firm talking-to, and I'd realize what I did was wrong. And it was an effective method! My Dad did occasionally rage at me, but he quickly stopped because I was, and I still am, a sensitive person. I just burst into tears whenever he got uncontrollably angry, and he'd quickly stop.

If they ever did use any corporal punishment against me, I'd most likely retaliate and they'd both have concussions. But, they never did physically harm me and they never will. Therefore, they will survive XD

I almost never got punished, because I was a creepily well-behaved child  :o

However, I did do a couple things that were...erm...pretty bad, and for those my parents "grounded" me

Which basically just entailed that I wasn't allowed to see my best friend ;a;

That was a pretty good punishment because we'd hang out everyday and had lots of fun!

Ok, sorry. "TV privileges" means basically " you're not allowed to watch TV for(insert of time here.)" and "allowances" with most kids( when I was a kid at least) they got a certain amount of money from their parents every week. Like for example my parents gave me 20 dollars a week, if I got in trouble my parents wouldn't give me 20 dollars for a week or two.

Oh, that. Well, my parents think that the real world sucks, and so should childhood. I wasnt abused just corrected, and iv had to pay my own bills for a while (dad gave me a job at 12, so i cant complain.)

Spankings

Soap

The belt

The spoon

Grounding

Time out

Smacking

Taking away my stuff and hiding it somewhere

So pretty much everything in the book. The only reason why I got the soap was because when I was in kindergarten, a fifth grader wrote the F bomb under one of the slides on the playground. So then I went home and said "Hey mom, what does F*** mean?!"

Let's just say I never said the f bomb again.

Edited by Judgement

If I was a smart aleck or back talked I would get slapped by my mom and a good scolding which is enough to shut me up. If I back talked to my dad he would scold me and that's enough. The one time I went to far he got a branch (Is it a thatch? You know what I mean) from a tree and you know the rest. For cursing I may never know. I'm smart enough to know not to do that. wait never mind I did it once. It was when you get to that point when you are about to have a breakdown from a huge work and stress load. The fact my dad was about to deploy didn't help. It was around my mom and she blew it off. I guess it was cause I was having an episode and at the point where you go from mad to tears. I think I said shit to describe my situation or myself (I blamed myself for a lot back then).The classic grounding here and there. Cs on report cards were a no go which would equal grounding till next time report cards came out. And how can you forget the "Wait till your father gets home" Then you get that pit feeling and are constantly listening for the noise of the truck pulling up. 

I never faced a belt.

I used to either get a butt spanking

sent to my room

or

going out into the yard and picking out a "switch", or a bendy twig.

I never got them often though, I was usually a good boy. ^^

My parents only ever used a physical punishment once. They never did it again because I didn't react very well to it. I got mad and hit back. I usually wasn't punished anyway, I barely ever did anything wrong, and when I did I was never caught.

If I did feel like I really did something wrong I would punish myself. Once, a teacher accused me of bullying, because a kid tripped and hit his head on a rock when I was playing with him. She only saw me standing over him after he fell. I felt really bad about it and started hitting myself with my own shoe really hard on my forehead. I think that kind of scared my parents, and made them afraid that I would really hurt myself if I felt I deserved it. I don't do stuff like that anymore, I'm a lot better about not hurting myself.

Edited by BasementPony

My 2 older brothers as a kid (if they mouth off at our parents) they got Tabasco Sauce or they would sit and write a page from the  Encyclopedia. I remember that my older brother would be the only one in the family to get that punishment. My older brother never had a halo over his head. If he gotten in trouble and he would blame it over on me. Seems, like he always enjoyed this. At the age of 9 he wanted to put dad in jail and kill our mom and I. He would throw tantrums (if he didn't get what he wanted). There wasn't any type of testing that could be done for him back in the 70s. So, we didn't know what was his problem.

I would get sent to my room or the corner (I really never gotten into trouble).

Edited by MontanaDash

Spanked. Hand and belt or paddle. I never had a switch...thank god. I heard those are awful, but I have been threatened with that xD

Pretty much it, besides when I became a pre-teen and got the old grounding, no TV, Video games, computer, going outside, hanging with friends, etc.

Otherwise, it was getting my butt whooped. 

Up until I was about 10, I was spanked for doing something wrong.

Then after 10 I was just being grounded, and having things taken off me.