Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Phony Brony

Finesthour

Who are you calling frilly?

As a 20-year old guy, I was deeply disturbed when you referred to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic as "frilly" in issue 220's Timeline. I think I missed that part of the season. Was that in-between when the cast overthrew an evil goddess bent on shrouding the world in eternal night and when Rainbow Dash not only broke the sound barrier, but pulled a turn that would leave any modern fighter jet in a smoldering pile of debris? Maybe it was around the time when they were fighting the dragon. Or perhaps the manticore. I mean, these girls are so badass that Fluttershy singlehandedly brought down a cockatrice. How did she defeat a half-dragon (it's half snake, not dragon) creature that turns anything it looks at to stone? Naturally, she just stared it down until it submitted to her will. I will let your comment slide this time, but be warned, another mistake like this will not be tolerated (I see what he did there)!

Angelo

Saunderstown, RI

Settle down, brony. The fact that your terrifying equine friends have racked up an epic list of conquests doesn't make them any less frilly. Similarly, the fact that the cartoon sounds genuinely entertaining doesn't make it any less embarrassing for you to be defending the honor of a My Little Pony cartoon in a national magazine

Dag nabit. Did this "brony" forget what it means to be a brony?

Love and tolerance are the entire means behind be a brony, and if someone wants to say something about the show in negative ways, we TOLERATE them. We don't start to rage at an editor in a magazine. I don't want to sound like a hipocrit, but this guy is a disgrace to bronies everywhere. I may tolerate him, but everyone at my school who uses this guy as an example on how bronies act, it is just plain wrong.

Thoughts?

What boyo here did wrong is the fact that he's not willing to recognize that being badass and being frilly are not so opposite that they can't coincide. There is no doubting the frill in this show, even if they did take down Nightmare Moon they still managed to turn her back into her old self and forgive her rather than totally destroying or sealing her again. The frill comes from the fact that they managed the best possible outcome rather than the most likely outcome.

Some people just are generally argumentative people. They may feel the same way about the show as you or I do, but they feel the need to back it up when it gets put down. This doesn't make them 'phony bronies', it just shows how they express their love for the show.

Yeah, but guys forget my point. You don't hate on someone just because they don't like the show you like. His heart my be in the right place, but I will not call him a brony.

Defensive mechanics, usually brought on by time on internet forums, are common when something you like is insulted or even if it's just the wrong wording, even if it's not meant as offensive.

Whether you call him a brony or not is irrelevant. As long as he considers himself one that's what matters. Just like gamers there are many different types of bronies with many different types of reactions to certain situation and different levels of love for the series.

(edited)

Well in the way I read it, I think the guy who wrote in to game informer knew exactly what he was doing, but thought he would get different results. He was hoping that the people would gain respect for him and the show, but when you try to shove your fandom down someones throat, you almost always get the same affect everytime. hatred.

And yeah, while my opinion may not matter whatsoever, I still don't like that he jumped on someone so hard. it is just wrong, even if you love the show.

Edited by Finesthour

I wouldn't go so far as to call him a phony brony. A brony is just someone who likes the show, whether they practice love and tolerance or not. However, I do agree that he should have taken a different approach. Attacking haters just gets more hate.

I wouldn't go so far as to call him a phony brony. A brony is just someone who likes the show, whether they practice love and tolerance or not. However, I do agree that he should have taken a different approach. Attacking haters just gets more hate.

Yeah, but the show is all about love and tolerance. If you try to hate on someone for not liking the show when tolerance is what the show is about, he apparantly is not paying attention.

I haven't seen this thing he's talking about but all he said is that they said it was frilly. This is in no way an insult on it's own. He displayed lack of tolerance for description and/or criticism but there is no hate in what he said. He's partially fooling himself but he's also trying to show off.

Well, let me reword what I said then. I do not mean die hard hate. I am meaning... I am looking for the right word, I just can't think of it.

He is expressing an extreme dislike on how they made fun of his show.

he's also trying to show off.

My thoughts exactly. I think he just wanted to get in a magazine. I just hate when it's people like him that get national attention. They make the rest of us look bad.

My thoughts exactly. I think he just wanted to get in a magazine. I just hate when it's people like him that get national attention. They make the rest of us look bad.

My point exactly <3

Usually when fan letters are read it's usually the really overzealous ones that are shown just to start a contraversy out of something that's really small, just because of his extremist attitude. "I will not tolerate this in the future" is proof enough that this guy is just trying to sound like he's justified.

Usually when fan letters are read it's usually the really overzealous ones that are shown just to start a contraversy out of something that's really small, just because of his extremist attitude. "I will not tolerate this in the future" is proof enough that this guy is just trying to sound like he's justified.

Yeah, but we are all respectable people here. We are just having a conversation on it <3

Yes but that's not why 2020 put it out in the public like that. You saw how they dissed on him as much as he dissed on them. It was to stir up a controversy and to give some sort of example as to what bronies are like (At least in their own eyes)

You know, I'll admit: this guy deserves props for highlighting the show's awesomeness. However, that very last sentence of "this will not he tolerated again!" really goes against what a brony is. Personally, I see being a brony as more than just being a fan of the show; there's a code of conduct of sorts when you decide to call yourself one. For one thing, bronies don't tend to lash out at hate or anger like that. We take a more civil and mature stance in respecting other people's opinions. We simply shrug it off and think "Eh, different stokes." I don't mean to speak for every brony out there, but this is my personal view of the fandom.

So, in my opinion, I wouldn't call this person a true brony. He might love the show, yes, but he doesn't seem to go with the code of conduct in regards to love and tolerance. That's my opinion and I will continue to tolerate those that are different.

Edited by Kodiak

I'm sure plenty of other MLP fans wrote in, likely with comments of a more reasonable nature... but, well... reasonable people with reasonable opinions and reasonable reactions just aren't interesting or entertaining enough to give attention to. Why waste time and space on them with their boring and dull comments when you can fire people up with something a bit saucier?

Who wants meaningful dialogue or facts when you can have drama and controversy?

If anything, I'd call him overzealous rather than a phony brony.

• Brohoof 1

If your a big fan of the show, yeah, you're a brony. It doesn't have to inform the rest of a person's worldview. You can be a total dick and like this show. It's unfortunate that this person chose such a public forum to display behaviors that we wouldn't want associated with us (and even that's a big step, we've all seen worse ragemail), but that's the way it is.

• 2 weeks later...