Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

planning The Wretched Mirror

Evilshy

There exists a mirror with extraordinary powers. Called the Wretched Mirror, it has the power to reverse the true nature of an object or being. If one started a fire in front of it, they might see a wispy cloud of icy fog. If one were to place a plant in front of the mirror, they might see the plant dead, or perhaps a more sinister version of it (instead of a nice flower, it might be a vine with toxic thorns). 

The Mirror has a particularly evil effect on living creature, though.  You will see a reversed reflection of yourself; if you are a good person/pony/whatever, you will see an evil, dastardly version of yourself, as despicable as you are good. But, because the Mirror is an evil object (hence the name Wretched), it will not reverse an evil person; they will see themselves as they are. However, the Mirror does not simply show a reversed version of yourself; the reflection has a mind of it's own. It's like an alternate soul, and it wants out of the mirror. If you look into your own reflections eyes, then it can begin to enter your body, and depending on your strength of mind, will begin to take you over, eventually for in your true self into the mirror. 

The only way to get out of the mirror without your other self looking into their reflections eyes is for the mirror to be broken. This will release the souls trapped in the mirror; good and evil. If the Mirror were broken, each and every good person in existence would be attacked by a dark version of their own soul, and many would lose this battle and become consumed by evil. 

Now this is where I want to ask you guys some things:

1. Is this even remotely interesting? The idea came to me one night as I was thinking of a way for a certain clan of vampires in another universe I'm writing to decide who they would let join their clan; they simply take a human, put them in front of the mirror, and if they're evil enough that they just see themselves in the mirror, then the vampires turn them into one of them; anybody else is drained of their blood. However, I liked the idea of this Mirror so much I decided to try and base something around it itself. 

2. If we were to RP something like this, would you want it with ponies, or some other race? I can think of arguments for either side. Most ponies are naturally good, so plenty of things could go wrong with the mirror; Luna could be examined as becoming NMM when she looked into the mirror, a story where some of the mane 6 look into it and turn evil, stuff like that.

Arguments against it being ponies are things like, it's a bit dark to be in Equestria, and IMO it seems like it could fit a human world better, but that might be because the original concept was born while I was writing a human universe. Although I think ponies could work well. 

3. I've been thinking of another Mirror, a Pure Mirror or something (I'll think of a better name), that has the opposite effect; it turns evil people good, while having no effect on naturally good people. The effects of one Mirror could be used to cancel the effects of the other (if the wretched mirror turned somebody evil, the pure mirror would turn them back to good and vice versa). What do you think of that?

4. Is this even an idea one could base an RP around, or is it to small, for lack of a better term?

Edited by Evilshy

1) Very interesting as far as I'm concerned.

2) Either one would work fine, but if it were regular humans that didn't have any powers, you would have to be careful. It'd be a tad bit complicated to do that, but if it can be pulled off then by all means.

3) That could work. The question is where you going to place the mirrors, and whether you'll make the Pure Mirror harder to find than the Wretched Mirror.

4) I guess you could call it kind of small. Maybe adding an almighty evil entity would help expand on the RP.

Very interesting but also very confusing.

It seems rather clear to me: when somebody looks into a mirror, they see an evil version of themselves if they're good. If they look into that version's eyes, their body is taken over unless they have a strong mind. If they don't have a strong mind, then their soul is forced into the mirror, while the evil version takes over the body. The only way out is for the evil version to either look into the mirror and into your eyes again, or for the mirror to be smashed. If it's smashed, though, ALL the spirits are released, and every good person then has to fight their evil version for dominance.