Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bronies vs fans

Jamesblorg39welsh

Here's my definitions:

Fan-you watch the show and love it but that's all you do. You may own some merchandise but don't really get involved with the community and still love other shows too.

Brony-you get involved with the community, watch the show, own merchandise, proudly show off your love for the show wheras a regular more conserved fan just talks about the show every now and then and doesn't really show off merchandise

Some good opinions on here though ;) I didn't consider myself a brony until I started reading fics and talking about the show all the time with my friends. I joined the forums and interact with other bronies and proudly show my love for the show here.

I considered myself just a fan when I started really getting into the show but wasn't really involved yet.

I consider myself a brony even If I never had much to do with the fandom. In fact doesn't matter too much If you are related or not with the fandom.

As long as you can feel very related with the messages from the lessons, have respect for their characters and pretty much enjoy and love the show, you'll be a brony.

When I watching the show, and I feel able to smile with a warming sensation of relief inside my heart. That is what makes me a brony. I trully believe in those lessons, in that kind of friendship. So pretty much, If you love MLP, you could probably be a brony.

Though, this are just my thoughts. I don't want to be out there categorizing the people.

From their deeds they get their value as human beings. So the "name" they choose for themselves doesn't really matter at all.

Apologies for my english.

(edited)

Brony: A fan of the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic who wants to be called a brony. 

A MLP:FiM Fan: A fan of the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic who doesn't want to be called a brony.

There isn't really much of a difference. If you're a fan, you're a fan no matter what you call yourself. I guess you could put it that bronies are more involved with fanart and related, and get more involved with other fans, but other than that; not much of a difference.

^THIS^

Although there is another definition that seems to apply:

Brony/pegasister is a fan of mlp fim, that doesn't fit the age or gender bracket of the originally intended or mainstream-defined demographic for a mlp fan. And in certain instances even if a young child wanted to be called a brony it wouldn't be ideal to include them under this identity because certain extensions of brony-ism like R34 is not and should not be aimed at children.

For example a 10 year old girl might toy with the idea of "shipping" because that is an age when relationships start to become of interest to them, but it would be relatively innocent stuff that could be more attributed to a regular fan than the more graphic shipping a brony in his 20's might do. And a 10 year old girl is also hardly likely to beable to relate to cloppers which are a fairly decent sized part of the brony community.

Even if the 10 yr old girl does fan-art the term brony just doesn't seam to fit somehow.

I'm not saying that's set in stone or true in all cases, but it is more likely.

Just food for thought there.

Edited by Scrumpy
  • Brohoof 1

You know what I mean Sky. :/

A brony is a much more active member of the MLP fandom. While a regular fan just enjoys the show and has nothing to do with the fandom. Such as I'm a walking dead fan, but am not active in the fandom. I just enjoy the show and that's it.

But what if you love the show, know a fair bit about it, draw fan art, cosplay, go on forums, watch/listen to fan works, by loads of merch, but don't like to be labeled as a Brony? :x

Huh? HUH?! BET YOU DIDN'T THINK ABOUT THAT!  :catface:

They are the exact same thing. 

A fan of MLP:FiM=brony. 

EXCEPT:

There is a significant age difference.

Fans I consider to be the younger more expected audience.

Bronies are the older fans.

(only real difference)

My friend (6 months ago)said these were the rules to become a brony

It has to be your favourite show

You have to take part in the fandom

You have to no all the main six and background main six

You have to be involved in mlp discussions

Has to have some MLP products.

Funny 3 days after he said a fandom doesn't have rules

I believe the difference is simpler than this

Those 'rules' are all pretty bad, to be honest. A Brony is someone who enjoys watching MLP:FiM and knows the characters (Probably). You don't have to take part in the fandom if you don't want to and you don't have to own merchandise. I don't think that I can name the 'background mane 6' anway. Lemme take a guess:

- Vinyl Scratch

- Octavia

- Derpy Hooves

- Lyra

- Bon Bon

- Doctor Whooves

Was I right?

See, I don't know, but I still consider myself a Brony.

I've seen enough YouTube videos to know that not all Bronies that go to conventions are crazy about the show, cosplay as their favorite ponies, spend tons of money on toys and plushies, or clop to R34 drawings of ponies. They're just normal human beings that enjoy the show, which happens to have a very strong fanbase.

Bronies and fans are the same, they just simply don't want to be called a Brony, that's all.

• Brohoof 1

Those 'rules' are all pretty bad, to be honest. A Brony is someone who enjoys watching MLP:FiM and knows the characters (Probably). You don't have to take part in the fandom if you don't want to and you don't have to own merchandise. I don't think that I can name the 'background mane 6' anway. Lemme take a guess:

- Vinyl Scratch

- Octavia

- Derpy Hooves

- Lyra

- Bon Bon

- Doctor Whooves

Was I right?

See, I don't know, but I still consider myself a Brony.

Yeah you're practically correct and I do honestly agree with you a brony should just be someone who enjoys the show and goes into a bit more detail than the average fan.

• 8 years later...
20 minutes ago, Paleopony said:

There is no difference to me. Brony = fan of MLP.

I also don't make any difference there. But I know for a fact, some people do for different reason for example for not liking the name brony.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...