Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bronies vs fans

Jamesblorg39welsh

Brony: A fan of the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic who wants to be called a brony. 

A MLP:FiM Fan: A fan of the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic who doesn't want to be called a brony.

There isn't really much of a difference. If you're a fan, you're a fan no matter what you call yourself. I guess you could put it that bronies are more involved with fanart and related, and get more involved with other fans, but other than that; not much of a difference.

• Brohoof 25

Despite introducing me to the show, my little brother is a casual fan. He only watches the parodies, such as the censored episodes, whereas I watch every thing I can find. I think that the difference is whether or not you say that you're a Brony. I watch Doctor Who and love the show so much that I'm buying the sonic screwdriver tv remote. However, I don't consider myself a whovian. I don't know why, but I just don't. I'll try and ask my brother tomorrow why he doesn't consider himself a brony, then I'll post his response.

I don't really see a difference, the similarities that I see are even if your a fan and don't watch the show. They could partially make you a fan but, you can still be a brony/fan even if you watch the show or don't want to be called a brony.

• Brohoof 1

Brony: A fan of the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic who wants to be called a brony. 

A MLP:FiM Fan: A fan of the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic who doesn't want to be called a brony.

There isn't really much of a difference. If you're a fan, you're a fan no matter what you call yourself. I guess you could put it that bronies are more involved with fanart and related, and get more involved with other fans, but other than that; not much of a difference.

Nailed it. It's like most other subcultures. For example, Punk rock. One may listen to and enjoy Punk rock music, but they may not consider themselves a punk or punk rocker. The choice is as you said in the said individual.

As for the fanart element, that may be a tough indicator. Plenty of bronies are not as talented in those areas/don't produce, however they still love MLP just as much. I still understand what you meant though,

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

There is no difference.

A fan is a fanatic.

A fanatic about the show MLP: FiM is called a brony.

A brony generally takes part in being a fan of the show, but also takes part liking the fandom's culture.

You can like a show without being a fan though, just like I do with NCIS. x3

EDIT:

One may listen to and enjoy Punk rock music, but they may not consider themselves a punk or punk rocker.

Do you like Punk Rock? :o

Edited by Becker (Fender)
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Slightly different definition for me.

Brony: A fan of MLP:FIM.

You can't separate being a brony and being a fan of the show; you can't claim to not be a brony and be a fan of the show. And being a "brony" doesn't necessarily make you a bigger fan.

Edited by 115Predator
  • Brohoof 1

Do you like Punk Rock? :o

I like lots of types of music. A slice of that pie is punk rock.

Obvious differences that many are failing to point out.

Fans are normal people.

Bronies are a bunch fag-like-people things, obviously.

Have you no ear to the haters?!

Despite that....

I like this explanation as well. Makes sense. Still, Bronies are styuuuuupid.

coffee_l.jpg

The shame about text versus voice is that sarcasm and when one is being facetious is unclear. *Benefit of the doubt mode on!* ^_^

• Brohoof 1

This.

As well as watching the show itself, I'm fairly involved with the "community" aspect; I go on forums, draw some fanart, read fanfics, cosplay, etc. I also have a bunch of posters and merch, so if there was a distinction between a "casual fan" a "Brony", I'd probably be the latter. 

However, I don't like calling myself a Brony, I just refer to myself as a fan. Same goes for other TV shows like Doctor Who and Avatar, or music genres that have subcultures tied into them, like Metal, Industrial or Goth. I ain'tn't need any of yer fancy labels.

• Brohoof 1

Agreeing with a few of the comments, i believe the meaning is the same, but they're a different tier, also it depends if they want to get into the 'community'

For example is someone just watches the show every so often, a episode every week or so, enjoys it but doesn't love it, they might not consider their selves bronys as such, just someone who likes the show.

I think the term brony, even if it does mean you're just a fan of the show, it's more seen as someone who also watches alot of fan-made animations, is active within the brony community and things alike, this is in the majority of cases, I know there are some people who watch the show only, and not often and still can be called a brony, which is perfectly correct, the above statements was about the majority of people IMO.

So they have the same meaning, but I see it more of a two tier word.

• Brohoof 1

My friend (6 months ago)said these were the rules to become a brony

It has to be your favourite show

You have to take part in the fandom

You have to no all the main six and background main six

You have to be involved in mlp discussions

Has to have some MLP products.

Funny 3 days after he said a fandom doesn't have rules

I believe the difference is simpler than this

An extreme brony is someone who is so passionate they try to involve MLP in anything they're doing

A casual brony is someone who enjoys the show and the fandom but only talks about it sometimes

A fan is someone who enjoys the show but isn't to fust on being affiliated with the show by being known as a brony

Way I see it a fan is just someone who casually enjoys the show.

Whereas a brony is more involved with the fandom and enjoys things like looking at fan art, listening to fan music or communicating on a forum.

• Brohoof 1

There's really no difference between the two. A fan is someone who doesn't want to/ wants to be edgy by saying (it's usually either of those two things) "I'm not a brony, I'm a fan."

I do suppose if there had to be a difference, a brony more actively participates in the fanbase and such.

This is sort of related, it annoys me when people do basically everything the fanbase does, yet when people identify them as a member they get mad.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Fans and Bronies are totally different things.

You become a brony if you want to become one.

If your a fan that just watches and enjoys the show, kudos for you!

Edited by KToadstool

Many people watch mlp fim but just aren't into the show like bronies are. What do you consider to be the difference between fans and bronies

Fans: Like the show, have a favorite character and sometimes quote the show, that's about it.

Bronies: Talk on forums, check website after website for news, cosplay at conventions, go to conventions, spend $1000 dollars on plushies, and quote the ever loving crap out of the show.

That's basically the diffrence. Fans like the show, and that's about it. Bronies adore the show and try to be part of it as much as possible.

• Brohoof 1

i wasn't sure of any difference between bronies and fans but either way i wanted to be a brony so i am one. I liked the show to start but eventually i realized maybe i was a brony so then why not. i like it so now im a brony :muffins:

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Bronies: Talk on forums, check website after website for news, cosplay at conventions, go to conventions, spend $1000 dollars on plushies, and quote the ever loving crap out of the show.

Guess I'm not a brony, then. D:

The only difference for me between a fan and a brony is age. My definition of a brony is someone who is older than the intended age range for the show that watches and enjoys it. If you fit the description you are a brony to me whether you want to be one or not.

The term "fan" would encompass bronies and younger children who like the show.

I've merged your thread on account of you already making this topic. Please take care in the future and try not to create duplicate content such as this.

Thanks~

Ah, that's why. I was trying to reply when I got the message "you do not have permission to post a reply". Kinda worried me there for a moment.

Edited by Sky Chaser

What do you consider to be the difference between a brony and a casual fan of mlp many people I know think that just watching a few episodes makes you a brony

Many people watch mlp fim but just aren't into the show like bronies are. What do you consider to be the difference between fans and bronies

I've merged your thread on account of you already making this topic. Please take care in the future and try not to create duplicate content such as this.

Thanks~

(edited)
Guess I'm not a brony, then. D:

You know what I mean Sky. :/

A brony is a much more active member of the MLP fandom. While a regular fan just enjoys the show and has nothing to do with the fandom. Such as I'm a walking dead fan, but am not active in the fandom. I just enjoy the show and that's it.

Edited by Sir.Flutter Hooves

(edited)

Slightly different definition for me.

Brony: A fan of MLP:FIM.

You can't separate being a brony and being a fan of the show; you can't claim to not be a brony and be a fan of the show. And being a "brony" doesn't necessarily make you a bigger fan.

This guy's the one who genuinely nailed it. A brony is nothing more than a gender-neutral term to describe a fan of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic regardless of gender, age, or passion. If you're a fan of MLP:FIM, you're a brony; if you're a brony, you're a fan of MLP:FIM. Claiming you're one but not the other is gigantically oxymoronic.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

I think it just depends on the person. There could be a fan of the show who doesn't like to be called a brony but is still at least somewhat involved in the fandom and watches every episode. Then there could be people like my sister who likes the show, and watches it from time to time but isn't really involved in the fandom and still likes to call themselves a brony. So, in my opinion, there really isn't a difference or a definition. The definition for brony is: A fan of the show, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. A fan and a brony is the same thing. Some people just don't want to be called a brony.

Depending on the person's Preference, One could be a fan, but also be a brony, there's no difference just the preference if they want to be called a Brony or not.

Some people just don't like to be categorized.

(edited)

I don't like brony, I dunno it just sounds, now don't beat me up about this......childish.

I prefer the more 17th century term:  A connoisseur of Pastel colored Equines 

Edited by Toa of Ponies
  • Brohoof 1