Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming To all people who don't play videogames, why?

Xievie

I have a friend who doesn't play videogames because he thinks it is a waste of time.

I have a friend who doesn't play videogames because his whole life he never had access to them.

I have a friend who doesn't play videogames because he believes he would look nerdy if he did.

For any of those who don't play videogames, why don't you?

NOT play video games!? Such a thing is even possible!?

My entire world is falling apart!!

post-10951-0-08200600-1374859296.jpg

In all seriousness, I can guess some people don't play them because of financial situation or in-accessibility to them. Another common occurrence is just plain uninterest. (Which doesn't make much sense to me)

I don't play them, because unless I usually can't get engrossed completely in the game.  The only Game I ever finished was Postal 2, and that's because it was very entertaining.

• Brohoof 1

Some may see it as a waste of time. Some do not have the time to truly enjoy it. Essentially, why put forth all this effort and time on something that isn't "real"? At the end of the day you have have a high k/d or finally took down a raid boss, but how does that translate to real life? Most who see video games like this might say "Why play X when you could be doing Y?". Others might see it as escapism.

Which is a shame really. So long as you don't spend so much time playing video games that it actually hampers your life and those around you, it's exactly the same as any other recreation that helps you unwind and have fun. There are a number of video games that have no rival in story telling and can be more fun or engaging than other activities. I've felt more feels in Metal Gear Solid 2 than I have in most of the movies or books I've read.

• Brohoof 1

I don't play video games except for the occasional play through of one of my N64 games. I was given a PS3 for Christmas last year, but knowing I wouldn't even touch it, I returned it and spent the money on movies and books I wanted instead. Video games just hold zero interest for me unless there is something truly special about them (which I haven't found in any games made past '98)

Burnout I guess. I've played video games like a fiend essentially since I could hold a controller. True, I got massively hooked on Persona 4 and Skyrim, but that rarely happens anymore. Most times I start a game, get bored, and quit them. I've started playing Wii Sports a lot recently, however.

(edited)

((Ignore this, I thought it said why DO you like games. Ignore my fail please.))

Why? Because its like a movie you controle, its fun, gives me something to do, and I love the art and music of the onesi play, not to mention the mechanics and desighn of it. Pluse I'm trying to become a videogame designer.

Edited by ~chaotic sole~

I like a few games, but most games these days are FPSs and I hate FPSs. I have an Xbox 360, I haven't played with it in a month and when I did play it I would play Castlevania Symphony of the Night on it. I like to spend most of my free time either surfing the web, listening to music or watching anime. My interest in gaming is 95% dead.

(edited)
  • They don't have any interest in games.
  • They don't see the point of it, and see it as a waste of time
  • They think it is bad for you
  • They are too busy with their personal life
  • They are too busy with work/school related things
  • Can't afford it
  • Don't want to spend any money on video games

Those are probably the main reasons some people don't play video games.

Edited by Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 2

Well, you know how some people can spend days in euphoria just sitting there, looking at a stamp collection, where you take a look and say "huh, a stamp, how great is that <super sarcasm voice tone>". I suspect it is something similar.

Alternatively - age and/or culture/family people grew in. Some "older" people simply can't bring themselves to enjoy certain new technologies, even tho they know they could enjoy for example story of game X, they just can't get themselves to actually play it.

For me, that would be tablets and smartphones. I know there are few (just a few tho) good games there, but I'll rather watch a paint dry than play them. I'm not even sure why. Love handhelds tho.

The scary group is the people who think games are harmfull or not a "legit" hobby / enjoyment. That is about ignorance, mostly and can be dangerous at times.

• Brohoof 1

I don't play a wide variety of video games, but there are a few that I do enjoy playing, the majority of which are internet games, or PC games. I've just never gotten into video games as much as a lot of other people have. However, the few video games I do play I have played a lot over the course of several years, such as Roller Coaster Tycoon 2: Triple Thrill Pack, or Advance Wars: Dual Strike. I also really enjoy playing video games at friends' houses'.

• Brohoof 1

I have a couple cousins that never really played video games because their parents wouldn't let them get a game system or something like that ( I know their parents didn't like games for sure). After growing up X amount of years without them, I don't think they're that interested in them anymore. 

I like the idea of interactively playing through a story, in all honesty. Thing is, people who play videogames are really devoted to getting to a certain point, and it comes to them rather easily. For me, I have to play through one certain mission or level over and over again to get to one point. And yes, I know that if I played more videogames, I could get better at that, I just don't have all the time in the world to do so, nor do I have the patience.

• 1 year later...
(edited)

I don't play as much as most do. I only play games like FIFA and a couple others and I prefer playing them with others in person instead of by myself. I'm also not too fussed with storyline games and prefer multiplayer games because I get to play with others. Here's some of my reasons for not playing them as much as most do:

- Costs a lot of money.

- Drains my eyes easily.

- Time consumption.

- Just not as enthused about them compared to most.

- (For PC games) Past experiences that involve my computer being broken.

Edited by CC_Maud_Pie
  • Brohoof 1

I used to play them everyday and now I play them once a week or even a month if I'm lucky. Some people, like myself, just completely lose interest in everything to the point where enjoying something that was once enjoyed is now just a chore.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I am a gamer, and in my opinion, the most logical reason people don't play games is the question

"What will I achieve IRL when I play video games?"

Games itself only holds entertainment value, according to a lot of people. Yet, they didn't realize that this holds true for movies and non-educational books. Also, a lot of people like hanging out with people than play games at home.

Edited by FabulousNightmare

I do play them, but I haven't as of late or at least almost a month. The reason is because I just don't have the motivation to play them anymore like I used to. Why, it's been ages since I've picked up any of my pokemon games... and it's funny because I used to be a pokemon gaming addict as well.

I don't play video games for the sake of playing video games..........................I can certainly understand why some people would not enjoy them and or not give a hoot..................for me it's all about story..................if the game................movie ..............or book..........does not have a good story...............I can't do it..............so yeah...................don't get me wrong............I've played quite a few games.............but most had a story to it............so............wow.........I am ranting.................ok...............that's it............no really this is the end......

Toodles

(edited)

I'm not a hugely active gamer, but I know a moderate bit about the community.

Right, so, major reasons for playing:

1. Blowing off steam, and relaxing/enjoying yourself.
  2. Sense of purpose--life tends to be very complicated and unclear, without a clear and defined role for us. In videogames, we easily get a sense of who we are, and what we're here to do.
  3. Investment. Sometimes, people want a tangible feeling of putting effort into something and seeing their work come to fruition--again, this is much more defined and easy to see in games.
  4. Escapism. Sometimes life sucks, or another world just sounds more interesting. Getting lost in a story, book, or game has that principle of escapism, where you momentarily take yourself out of this world and experience a fictional one instead... for a time.
  5. Community and belonging. Believe it or not, socializing or being part of a group/guild/etc is huge for some people. It's like hanging out, or playing a common sport/board game--if you have the same players for long enough, it becomes a well-defined group with a place for everyone, with people you want to continue with (and return to) day after day.
Edited by SFyr

I guess I can see less gamers due to a decline in market or maybe because the game companies have been developing crap since 2008. Me... A devoted fan of the Old School Sonic. My opinion of new sonic stuff: Meh. It maybe not why people don't play videogames anymore as much as why people have stopped. Then again I'm looking at this in a different way.

• They don't see the point of it, and see it as a waste of time
  • They think it is bad for you

These two reasons, while are said, are very closed minded answers usually spewed by those who would rather bash videogames than do something productive like... take down Westbero Baptist Church. Also it's usually said by those who are deep into religion or have a major stick up their butt because they despise all fun because they would rather everyone work. There are people who are the latter, trust me.

It's been proven that videogames are actually teaching you everyday skills like hand-eye coordination. Anyway, I don't want this to be a bash rant but I just had to say this, not that you did anything wrong @Blue Moon.

It's been proven that videogames are actually teaching you everyday skills like hand-eye coordination. Anyway, I don't want this to be a bash rant but I just had to say this, not that you did anything wrong @Blue Moon.

These two reasons, while are said, are very closed minded answers usually spewed by those who would rather bash videogames than do something productive like... take down Westbero Baptist Church. Also it's usually said by those who are deep into religion or have a major stick up their butt because they despise all fun because they would rather everyone work. There are people who are the latter, trust me.

That isn't really fair to say. The "They don't see the point of it, and see it as a waste of time" stance is really just a matter of personal opinion.

(edited)

I don't play them. Ever since I got into high school with all honors classes (and now IB) I haven't had time. Too much time studying and doing homework I guess. If I do play it, it's either with my friends or just an arcade game like Tetris or Monkey Ball.

I have other priorities like music and studying. I can't afford to play games when I have work to do and a life to live. :)

That's what my friends said before I introduced them to my world... now my one friend hasn't slept in 3 month an the other is failing 4 classes. Keep kids away from m I'ma terrible role model...

Edited by Panne
  • Brohoof 1

I think that i do not know a single person in my age who doesn´t play videogames(or at least those i hang out with)

It´s not bad for you, but it definitely isn´t good for you, either. i mean, i guess it depends on who you are, or what game you are playing, but generally, you cannot tell me that those hours of time that people put into MMOs are going somewhere useful.That´s why i always say no to those, when my friends ask me wether i want to start one with them.

i don´t play as much as i used to, honestly, since i do find it to be a waste of time, at least playing alone.

But that´s just an opinion, and i realize that. hobbies can differentiate, and i´d still rather play a good single-player game than, for example, read a (good) book that would take me forever to finish.

At this point, i pretty much only play multiplayer games with friends, and i haven´t actually bought a game in over 4 years, i think.

I don't normally play them anymore because of two factors: One, the game industry is needlessly saturated with the same old shit that didn't interest me when it first came out, and still doesn't interest me the millionth time around. (In this regard, I'm mainly bashing on the FPS genre.)

Two, my job just drains me too much to put any amount of thought whatsoever into an activity. I know games are supposed to help you unwind, but my neurons are so fried by the monotony of my work that all I can bring myself to do upon coming home is marathon YouTube vids like a zombie.

I suppose if both these problems were rectified (i.e. if my job didn't suck everything out of me, and I could actually get my hands on some decent modern platformers), I could potentially start picking up games again.