Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What did you think of Bronies before you started watching the show?

RollingPony

Same as Fluttershyfan, I didn't even know that fandom existed, let alone the show. It wasn't until a flame war on a halo forum that I found out about this. I'm just glad I had done research before throwing random comments into the fire, cause I would have never started watching the show otherwise.

I thought that it was just a bandwagon thing; one of those things people join just to be a part of something. I even thought that 99% of the bronies didn't even watch the show, they just acted like it to be a part of "the club". 

I did think it was pretty gay and I found bronies to be a bit annoying... I was actually a bit of an anti-brony to be honest. Not a hardcore one or anything though. 

At first, I figured it was kind of the same deal as other girl's shows that guys watched over the years, like Sailor Moon, Powerpuff Girls, etc, but more as a fad thing, that I figured would be short lived. Then I noticed that the Bronies I interacted with were a little over obsessive, from where I was standing. One such online friend told me he had watched every episode of My Little Pony at the time, and asked what he should do, to which I responded "go outside". To be completely honest though, I never really thought much of it. This is hardly the first time a girl's show has struck gold with a largely male fanbase, and it won't be the last, though, at least for the time being, I don't see any other girl's shows dethroning this one.

I was always at least a little intrigued by the Bronies, though. At that point, I hadn't seen any of the show, or anything relating to it, and my background with the series, if you could even call it that, amounts to the commercials for the toys back in the late 90s and early 2000s, and my Diablo II years, when people would occasional join games, and quote that theme song, followed immediately by someone asking if they were high. When anyone mentioned they watched My Little Pony, that's what came to mind. I had no idea what Friendship is Magic is all about. I might have heard a character's name or two somewhere, but that's about it. So, you can imagine why I'd be intrigued that so many guys were getting into this series in such a big way, though I just didn't get it, until I tried watching it myself.

I've watched FiM ever since it came on. I once was watching the news, and they started talking about bronies, and I'm like 

"OMFG!! OTHERS ARE OBSESSED WITH MLP TOO?"

I was an original brony :3, I've been stuck with MLP all my life, I grew up with it, I watched the show all the time, good times, good times.

(edited)

I thought the definition of a Brony was a Clopper boy I looked really stupid when I found out that was false what was worse is I was part of the fandom at the time when I thought of that

as when I was non-brony I knew it exist but I could care less about it and I didn't hate on the bronies I just questioned their existence then I found the truth now everything is so much clearer

Edited by PonygamesFluttershy

I was more intrigued by the emerging subculture than anything else, probably.  Certainly wasn't an anti-Brony.  Heck, I'd owned pre-FIM pony figures - as an adult. xD  One thing I don't think I've admitted on these forums is that I was pretty sure at first that many of these Bronies had ulterior motives for watching the show...  Because I totally had ulterior motives for watching it lol.  Pony-ogling.

post-26550-0-56959600-1405194855_thumb.png

Something I probably have brought up before: I was hesitant to join or interact with the fandom at first, for fear that I'd be scorned.

Growing up Powerpuff Girls and Totally Spies, shows that are supposedly aimed towards girls, I didn't think much of this.

Eeyup. I remember those shows. In retrospect, I watched quite a few different girls' shows growing up. I pretty much stopped not long after entering high school though.

......I didn't even know what a brony was for the longest time...I didn't hate the show when I was younger,but I did make fun of it a little....I basically followed my bro's footsteps because he became one beforehand....I didn't watch any episodes, but when I watched "Snowdrop" (....which i'll admit,made me cry a little..)...I had realized just how big this was and officially became a brony instead of simply following... 

I was quite fascinated by this phenomenon, and liked to philosophize about it with some friends of mine.

But towards the show itself, I just wasn´t interested.

And then I found out about Discord...

(edited)

Basically I didn't know what to think of them around the time I had learned about "brony" being an actual label. I've never seen a group of weirdos grow so large and seemingly normal people have grown fond of this. The only way to answer any questions I had, I needed to do an investigation myself and, well... here I am.

Edited by SunBurn
  • Brohoof 1

I didn't have a problem with them at all. Let people like what they like. I thought it was kind of nifty, in fact, that it was My Little Pony that people were adoring.

So I gave it a go and realized why people were fanboying.

I didn't know much about them. They were just some fandom like Whovians or Trekkies. My first taste of the fandom was actually a clopfic a friend showed me... So there was that to help shape my knowledge of bronies.

Honestly I didn't know much of anything about the MLP fandom, heck I really didn't even know much about the show, I had a friend with a Fluttershy skype icon, but I didn't know what it was from.

Eventually I came across a Guiles theme video for the scene with Fluttershy staring down the cockatrice, and then watched a few more MLP videos later, and eventually my curiosity lead me to watch the show, and now I love it!

But honestly I didn't know much about the fandom before hand. I knew very little about it until I came to the forums here really. I knew about older MLP generations as being girly, but nothing more.

So yeah, i didn't know much about the show really, so I guess I didn't have much of an opinion of bronies, maybe I thought they were weird after discovering them a bit, as I fought with myself over if I liked the show, and eventually I just gave up and understood I liked it.

I really have a hard time remembering all the details...I first found out about them on the steam users forums and thought It was a bit weird that men liked the show. before then, my mind ALWAYS wandered to the annoying toy commercials that popped up on TV and couldn't shake the ill feeling about the men who watched a TV show surrounding THAT!

I would say, I was a Passive-aggressive Anti-Brony. I didn't hate bronies, but I thought It was extremely abnormal and sorta poked fun at it in my mind.  I disliked it essentially.

But time went on, and a semi-famous, now gone Derpy Short was what started my decent into this ponified madness. and I'd say my opinion changed after that.

• Brohoof 1

I didn't really care. I heard the term a year before I joined, then I promptly forgot about it before eventually watching a few episodes, and here I am.

• Brohoof 1