Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you report someone for Plagiarism?

Wonderbolt_Spitfire

I'm in an Online American Literature class for college and the class is assigned to discuss certain aspects of the readings on a 'Forum' type board.

I was reading through some of my classmates postings and found one that was word for word copied from SparkNotes.com. Should I report this to my professor or see if the professor catches it?

Would you report someone for plagiarism even if it wasn't your own work being plagiarized?

• Brohoof 1

Yes I would, plagarism is basically a combination of cheating and forgery and having knowledge of that and not telling anybody is just as bad as actually doing it.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Eh, idk, maybe it depends on who it was,but honestly I probably wouldn't be able to tell it was plagiarized, I wouldn't be the type to pay enough attention to catch it I guess.

I guess if i knew it'd depend on the person.

I'm not sure if I could tell the teacher anyways, i'd be shy about it and feel like a tattle tale.

Edited by Zygen
  • Brohoof 1

yeah! Because they didn't do the work and they are stealing someone's hard work right there! and saying Oh yeah I did all this work and blah blah blah. So yeah I work report them so fast their damn head would spin. I don't like to be mean or anything but stealing is just wrong on every level....

• Brohoof 2

Report their flanks! They are basically copying someone's hard work word for word out of sheer laziness so they can get an easy A without putting forth any effort whatsoever. I'd definitely report them if I were you.

• Brohoof 1

yes I would, and you should too.  You and everyone else work hard on your assignments and it is an insult to you, the professor, the writer of the Spark Notes, and your classmates that they just copied that down like that.

• Brohoof 4

Yes, I would. Plagiarism is a type of stealing. It is a serious offense, especially at the college level. My teachers have been telling us time and time again for years not to plagiarize, and how harshly we could be penalized for it once we reached college. If you plagiarize in college, you risk getting kicked out of it.

• Brohoof 2

I report it all the time. A friend if mine is a very good artist and he's unfortunately plagiarized all the time, which loses him the recognition he deserves.

• Brohoof 2

Funny thing about that most people who would steal work, steal something that's beyond there level of writing and get caught anyway.  I would wait to see if the teacher realizes this kid doesn't know half the words on the paper.  

• Brohoof 1

I'm in an Online American Literature class for college and the class is assigned to discuss certain aspects of the readings on a 'Forum' type board.

I was reading through some of my classmates postings and found one that was word for word copied from SparkNotes.com. Should I report this to my professor or see if the professor catches it?

Would you report someone for plagiarism even if it wasn't your own work being plagiarized?

Consider this. What if your professor doesn't notice it, and the cheater (for that's what he or she is) gets a high mark without working for it? That's not fair to the rest of the class, who have put effort into their work. So, yes, you should report it. Just don't let your classmate find out it was you. As for your final question, think of it this way: would you report an attempted murder to the police even if you weren't the target? I'm willing to bet the answer would be "yes".

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

*I know were talking about written work here but I look at the entire picture*

No and here's why. I been in a lot of heated conversation about this. mainly having to do with "art" theft. If the person that is "copying" said content for no Profit then who cares who gets the credit.

It is better to  satisfied with "have the job done"  then be more concerned  " who gets the credit for doing it "

on the flip side if there "copying or stealing" for profit then that's becomes a legal issue..

as Late Steve Job said " Good artists copy great artists steal "

Any one using linux, unix, osx (darwin unix), and windows all know there UI design is a complete copy/steal of : Xerox Star , and Samsung bluntly profited off of Iphone G1 design

so who are we to judge some one else for copying/stealing some one else work, when we are using tools that some one else copied / stole. "all pc users and andriod users better look down at there pc and cell phone and node in agreement here"

FYI patens do not protect people and there ideas, they only hurt innovation, the future, and moving civilization forward.  

Edited by MadDoggyca
  • Brohoof 3

Yes, Plagiarism is a serious type of matter that I would be accounted for. Take this into consideration when I bring up something at my brother. I'm going into my brother's high school this year for 9th grade. When my brother's high school assigns an essay for my brother, he would plagiarize, however, HE DIDN'T GOT CAUGHT ONCE!

He tricks the teacher by changing the font and the point size at the end of each sentence. Even though changing words doesn't help. But he doesn't know what might happen if he continues. He may ruin his reputation.

I keep thinking about telling my dad and tell him about plagiarism and my brothers doing it, but my brother will come at me if I say that.

What should I do?

It is better to  satisfied with "have the job done"  then be more considered " who gets the credit for doing it "

on the flip side if there "copying or stealing" for profit then that's becomes a legal issue..

as Late Steve Job said " Good artists copy great artists steal "

That right there, is a true definition of Plagiarism. I don't know what happens when you get caught with it in a legal matter, as aside to some jail time and a fine.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yes, Plagiarism is a serious type of matter that I would be accounted for. Take this into consideration when I bring up something at my brother. I'm going into my brother's high school this year for 9th grade. When my brother's high school assigns an essay for my brother, he would plagiarize, however, HE DIDN'T GOT CAUGHT ONCE!

He tricks the teacher by changing the font and the point size at the end of each sentence. Even though changing words doesn't help. But he doesn't know what might happen if he continues. He may ruin his reputation.

I keep thinking about telling my dad and tell him about plagiarism and my brothers doing it, but my brother will come at me if I say that.

What should I do?

That right there, is a true definition of Plagiarism. I don't know what happens when you get caught with it in a legal matter, as aside to some jail time and a fine.

in school u basically fail the assignment. In the real world there is never jail time. What actually happens is large lawsuit crop up. Both parties throw money at layers, It drags on for months to years... In the end there is ether, no fine and life goes on, or there is a very large fine (Apple awarded 1.2Billion for damages & lose of sale from Samsung) and usually a appeal will follow to try and turn the juries decision. In the end, years pass by and the only people that win here are the layers.

in the mean time copying or improving on some one else initial idea, concept, and work is actually more benifial then leaving it all sit dormant and go to waste. (we wouldn't have parodies or Re-mixes if now one copied / stole peoples works, Also Fan art that is based on "IP" is theft as well. Designing any thing off of copyright work is in theory illegal )

Quick everyone look at your avatar, Your breaking the law.. Claiming some one else's work as your own Based on (in this case Hasbro "IP")

In fact 90% of all videos posted on youtube are illegal and violate Copyright laws or contain work from other people (IE video game walkthroughs, fan made music video contain art from others ect ect ect)

I guess the point I wanted to get at.. IF NO ONE COPIED, STEALS AND INPROVES / MODIFYS SOME ONE ELES WORK THIS WORLD WOULD BE 100000% BORING AND STAGMENTED.

Edited by MadDoggyca
  • Brohoof 2

Yes, because I can't stand people receiving credit when credit is not due. Plagiarism is baseline laziness, thievery, and complete disrespect for the actual author.

The line can sometimes be blurry, but in the example provided in the OP... Yes it should be reported.

• Brohoof 4

Yes, because I can't stand people receiving credit when credit is not due. Plagiarism is baseline laziness, thievery, and complete disrespect for the actual author.

The line can sometimes be blurry, but in the example provided in the OP... Yes it should be reported.

I agree but some schools don't check plagiarism by not getting plagiarizing software detectors, even though it does mean Expulsion for students.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, you should if they copied a article word for word without doing research and not using their own words. So, it would best to tell the teacher.

• Brohoof 1

word for word.. yes. Thats just theft, thats not even plagiarism.

now if they had injected their own a bit into it.. depends, if its more than 50% new nah, but that or less i'd probably debate or just do it.

• Brohoof 1

I agree but some schools don't check plagiarism by not getting plagiarizing software detectors, even though it does mean Expulsion for students.

As far as I know, most (if not all) colleges now use some form of TurnItIn, a way to let students submit papers while checking them against the internet for similarities. I would think high schools are more lax on the subject, but I was home schooled so I wouldn't know. :P

• Brohoof 2

Yes, plagiarism is basically stealing.   I don't understand any circumstances where you shouldn't.  It's just lazy and very annoying.  

• Brohoof 1

It depends on the situation imo, if it were just a few sentences plagiarized then i probably would leave it down to a tutor to find it, there is anti-plagiarism software on our uploads for my university anyway so it would likely get found out instantly. If however i knew for a fact that someone had plagiarized a fair amount of work then i would report them.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...

Of course I would report someone for Plagiarism. Taking someones work and say it is your own without changing almost anything on it is completely unethical and is bound to start a flame war.

• Brohoof 1