Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What was the point of this scene?

Thomas Wade

What was the point of the part where Rainbow Dash challenged Twilight to a game of 1-on-1 football? I don't get why it happened if Rainbow Dash was going to help anyway. Who else thinks the football scene was pointless?

• Brohoof 1

The soccer scene was just for fun. Plus, it was most likely a way for RD to test Twilight Sparkle to see how far she would go. For example, challenging a great soccer player while she has had little to no experience in playing soccer, especially with her new human legs.

• Brohoof 11

Thanks for replying what you both said does make sense and it does seem to make more sense now that I think about it but that scene didn't entertain me much anyway as I don't like football.

Thanks for replying what you both said does make sense and it does seem to make more sense now that I think about it but that scene didn't entertain me much anyway as I don't like football.

Do you think it would've been better with another type of sport? I guess the writers though that football (Soccer in the US) would translate better internationally than baseball or basketball.

You're right, maybe something not Soccer would've worked.

I don't think it was completely pointless. Dashie wanted to test Twilight or something. You know Dashie. SjvWfD8.png

(edited)

going back it was also where snips and snails got the photos they used to manipulate the other ones later on. They took pictures of her fumbling around and looking determined, then cut out and overlayed her image.

I finally watched the movie and was impressed how it wrapped up all the "why did they do this?" situations.

I mean literally..

aside from the school being called "Canterlot HS" and somehow being in a small town, where the real Twilight for that dimension was in "the big city" as per Pinkie.. They almost always covered everything (even where the real twilight was :P )

But you had to actually be paying close attention to various things just to catch it all :P

Edited by GrimCW

going back it was also where snips and snails got the photos they used to manipulate the other ones later on. They took pictures of her fumbling around and looking determined, then cut out and overlayed her image.

I finally watched the movie and was impressed how it wrapped up all the "why did they do this?" situations.

I mean literally..

aside from the school being called "Canterlot HS" and somehow being in a small town, where the real Twilight for that dimension was in "the big city" as per Pinkie.. They almost always covered everything (even where the real twilight was :P )

But you had to actually be paying close attention to various things just to catch it all :P

I think the Pinkie Pie "revelations" in the movie were put there to move the story along easier (cutting out awkward explanations) and to allow for fan interepretation for some of the hint hint type comments.

(edited)

I think the Pinkie Pie "revelations" in the movie were put there to move the story along easier (cutting out awkward explanations) and to allow for fan interepretation for some of the hint hint type comments.

Not the long revelations she makes, she asks twilight very specifically "Do you have a twin?" and then mentions a girl in "the big city" with a dog "just like yours" thats named "spike"

I.E. referring to the real twilight of that dimension. In the regular Equestria Twilight lived in Canterlot (the big city compared to ponyville). And since Canterlot HS is claimed to be in a smaller area (presumably their version of ponyville since everyone else is there)... it makes sense that that Twilights alternate would be MiA since Celestia is a principle and not a high level academy runner/teacher like she is in Equestria.

She didn't take AlterTwi in as a student, and thus AlterTwi never moved to ponyville.

Edited by GrimCW

Not the long revelations she makes, she asks twilight very specifically "Do you have a twin?" and then mentions a girl in "the big city" with a dog "just like yours" thats named "spike"

I.E. referring to the real twilight of that dimension. In the regular Equestria Twilight lived in Canterlot (the big city compared to ponyville). And since Canterlot HS is claimed to be in a smaller area (presumably their version of ponyville since everyone else is there)... it makes sense that that twilights alternate would be MiA.

That makes sense as the human world Twilight wouldn't need to go to another town to learn about the magic of friendship since magic doesn't exist in the same capacity as the pony world. They wouldn't have to worry about Nightmare Moon either.

So why wouldn't they expand on that since near the end of the movie they find out Twilight is actually a pony princess? Like once Twilight steps back through the portal, the actual human Twilight shows up.

(edited)

So why wouldn't they expand on that since near the end of the movie they find out Twilight is actually a pony princess? Like once Twilight steps back through the portal, the actual human Twilight shows up.

Room for EG2 perhaps? Or the possibility of an EG series, this is hasbro after all, they'll need to make as many colorful renditions of the same figure/doll mold as they possibly can to sell. Just look at ANYTHING else they've ever made. 2/3 of the toys are recolors of the same exact thing over and over.

Or they were running out of time. They had to fit a LOT into the movie as it was, and it ended up making the climax seem short lived, and straight to the point. This also explains the Pinkie revelations tbh :P Compressing the explanations down to a split moment as opposed to a full explanation or montage of memories.

Happens a lot sadly in movies, peoples attention spans are relatively short, so they have time limits they need to sit within. And given this is a movie/show for kids... those limits are stretched as is.

but time limits is also why a LOT of content gets put on the chopping block in movies,  even though much of the time it'd clear up a few things.

Even games aren't safe from this issue, but for them its usually development time and budget.

Gears of War had a scene cut, but before that scene was intended they mentioned a "bridge" and the Brumak was chasing the CoG's.

In the PC version that section of the game was put back and it cleared up the issue, but presented another... the Brumak in that game was harder than the final boss! :P

Edited by GrimCW

The soccer scene was just for fun. Plus, it was most likely a way for RD to test Twilight Sparkle to see how far she would go. For example, challenging a great soccer player while she has had little to no experience in playing soccer, especially with her new human legs.

Eeyup.

That was the only point in putting that scene in really. It was really not all that relevant to the plot of Equestria Girls in any way. It was just for fun, and no reason else as said here.

• Brohoof 1

Am I the only one who thought the last dance scene was just like a Bratz movie? I have an old Bratz movie where they prepare a high school dance and at the end they even take a group picture just like in EG!

Anyways about your question, RD even explained herself why they stuck the soccer scene in there. She wanted to test Twilight. Even if she was obviously losing she kept her head high and tried her best. 

(edited)

Eeyup.

That was the only point in putting that scene in really. It was really not all that relevant to the plot of Equestria Girls in any way. It was just for fun, and no reason else as said here.

soo the pictures snails and snips took from that scene had no purpose later at all? i mean, they weren't part of another important scene down the road toward the end?

TOTALLY not important...

img-1698714-1-Image2_zpsd0fd0799.jpg

Nope i can't see how that image on the left or the scene it was from had any purpose ever being shown.. 

oh wait...

/sarcasm off

sorry, forgot i had that on..

but yeah.. details ponies details!

If this were some other sport these scenes would've been a little more awkward, and/or needed a weapon of sort that could've been used against the image instead of having to find the clipped ones.

American football wouldn't have worked, Hockey or baseball would've needed the aforementioned weapon, and Basket ball wouldn't have worked anymore than football.

Kicking and fumbling a soccer ball though.. perfect.

It wouldn't have been left in if it had no purpose :P

Movies don't often do that.... bad practice and waste of time best used for other things!

In movie explanation would be obvious. RD is a show off, plain and simple. She wanted to show off to the new girl.

And she herself (RD) explained she wanted to try out Twilight to see if she'd carry through or chicken out and quit. She (RD) wanted to see if Twilight had determination enough to go through with fighting for the crown against Sunset Shimmer, or if she was going to run away like Sunsets last competition, and everyone else in the school.

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 1

Room for EG2 perhaps? Or the possibility of an EG series, this is hasbro after all, they'll need to make as many colorful renditions of the same figure/doll mold as they possibly can to sell. Just look at ANYTHING else they've ever made. 2/3 of the toys are recolors of the same exact thing over and over.

Or they were running out of time. They had to fit a LOT into the movie as it was, and it ended up making the climax seem short lived, and straight to the point. This also explains the Pinkie revelations tbh :P Compressing the explanations down to a split moment as opposed to a full explanation or montage of memories.

Happens a lot sadly in movies, peoples attention spans are relatively short, so they have time limits they need to sit within. And given this is a movie/show for kids... those limits are stretched as is.

but time limits is also why a LOT of content gets put on the chopping block in movies,  even though much of the time it'd clear up a few things.

Even games aren't safe from this issue, but for them its usually development time and budget.

Gears of War had a scene cut, but before that scene was intended they mentioned a "bridge" and the Brumak was chasing the CoG's.

In the PC version that section of the game was put back and it cleared up the issue, but presented another... the Brumak in that game was harder than the final boss! :P

Perhaps thats why I liked Equestria Girls so much then, the movie length was just long enough to be entertaining but not long enough to complete loss interest. I think as the first MLP movie in a while, hasbro did go out on a limb but due to their awesome artist, writers and voice actors they pulled off a good movie.

I'm actually not sure. I think Rainbow Dash probably wanted to make sure Twilight was worthy, or just wanted to gloat to the new girl that Rainbow Dash can win.

(edited)

Pinkie knows EVERYPONY, she makes it her life goal to meet and greet them all, then make'em laugh.. she had an episode to that extent :P

None of the others seem that interested in it and moreso are straight to business than she is.

Or she may have had a trip to the city that the others weren't part of.. theres a lot of ways to explain that away, including Pinkie sense :P

Maybe they considered it but blew it off, or thought she was the other one? 

If they make an EG2 or series, theres gonna be some 'splaining to do!

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 1

Pinkie knows EVERYPONY, she makes it her life goal to meet and greet them all, then make'em laugh.. she had an episode to that extent :P

None of the others seem that interested in it and moreso are straight to business than she is.

Or she may have had a trip to the city that the others weren't part of.. theres a lot of ways to explain that away, including Pinkie sense :P

Maybe they considered it but blew it off, or thought she was the other one? 

If they make an EG2 or series, theres gonna be some 'splaining to do!

Agreed thats the double-edged sword of a good fandom, you have great supporters of your work but then you have to watch out when something isn't openly explained, because theories start flying.

This scenes seemed like unnecessary. Just made for the reason "Why not" or that other "Fun = Worthy".

I can get it the test thing, but for me it could have been better if it was not among Twilight and Rainbow but more about Applejack and Dashie. I mean, i get the point, but in the end it just seems pointless cause AJ and RD made peace and we ALREADY knew that RD would have joined the group cause of this.

And the way that groups is more than enough to confront each other to get the truth just made me do a huge Facepalm to how idiotic this human 4 are and how Twilight presence is there just because this move want to make of her a Mary Sue one.

If Rainbow challanged each ones of the four to see how much they wanted to be again friends with her it would have made the scene and it would have made this scene almost tearjerking to see them try so hard to show her how worthy they are.

But no, they got the easy way.

Just because something is awesome it dosen't make it worthy.

They could have made this scene shorter, instead is to much long.

(edited)

/sigh

guess no one reads up to see if answers exist ahead of posting :P

i give up.

Like i said before, they tied things together rather well in this movie, unlike many movies that leave things blank or without explanation, this one had more covered than one could ever expect in a kids movie...

+ its RD.. come on, does no one here know RD?

She had a competition for coolest pet for crying out loud...

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 1

/sigh

guess no one reads up to see if answers exist ahead of posting :P

i give up.

Like i said before, they tied things together rather well in this movie, unlike many movies that leave things blank or without explanation, this one had more covered than one could ever expect in a kids movie...

+ its RD.. come on, does no one here know RD?

She had a competition for coolest pet for crying out loud...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M .

They tied nothing well in this movie, nothing at all. Is a mess of convinient stuff after an other with tons of clichè stuff in such easy way that i can't feel getting in to the story, and throwing in the middle all the reference stuff to distract the viewers to understand it.

Read my post before it. I know that is RD way to reason, but it is how they show it that make the scene useless. If you want to build emotion you must find a reason to cheer for Twilight cause if she fail the friendship among the human 4 will not be saved.

Think about it: Twilight is the one to challange RD, cause she dosen't want to listen to AJ, cause you know, RD is stubborn (Just like the original series). And she lose, and try again, and again. RD slowly see of what she is made of and in the end accept to talk with Applejack. And so the band finally get back togheter. This is how they should have done. But no, what we get? RD and AJ forgiving each other in less than a second and a football match made just for funny.

And still, taking guts? She's gonna challange Sunset Shimmer, the one that all school fear (and still they will vote her as princess despite that). That alone take alot of more guts that play a football match.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Then you didn't take what was intended from the movie, and are expecting it to contain far more adult material to it.

The point was made, twice over in the movie.

1. RD's own reasons as mentioned.

2. for the later scene where they used the determined, yet fumbling look of Twilight as a way to manipulate false evidence. (image in previous post)

you seem focused purely on the single first point neglecting it came back later in having a second purpose.

They tied nothing well in this movie, nothing at all. Is a mess of convinient stuff after an other with tons of clichè stuff in such easy way that i can't feel himmer, the one that all school fear (and still they will vote her as princess despite that). That alone take alot of more guts that play a football match.

Its a movie for CHILDREN, of course its going to be basic/convenient, and EVERYTHING is cliche, nothing is new anymore. Time to let go of that one its getting to be more cliche than the usual movie tropes people are complaining about.

But they still tied things together and explained nearly everything, simple reasoning or not, it made sense.

Edited by GrimCW