Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What was the point of this scene?

Thomas Wade

Then you didn't take what was intended from the movie, and are expecting it to contain far more adult material to it.

The point was made, twice over in the movie.

1. RD's own reasons as mentioned.

2. for the later scene where they used the determined, yet fumbling look of Twilight as a way to manipulate false evidence.

you seem focused purely on the single first point neglecting it came back later.

Its a movie for CHILDREN, of course its going to be basic, and EVERYTHING is cliche, nothing is new anymore. Time to let go of that one its getting to be more cliche than the usual movie tropes.

But they still tied things together and explained nearly everything, simple reasoning or not, it made sense.

1) And i've mentioned other RD reason. She's stubborn, and it would not be hard to belive that she should have been the hardest one to convince to make peace;

2) And they could'nt take the false evidence while she was facing RD again and again because...?

Just because something is for children it dosen't mean that it have to be clichè. And the main series have better stories that have original twist in most of the episodes. And just cause it looks for kids it dosen't mean that have to be this way. And what should have been so adult in my version to dont show? Exept that friendship is not easy but is worthy fighting for.

I think that children could learn more if we stop threating them like monkeys. Otherwise why most of Disney past works are masterpiece?

(edited)

2) And they could'nt take the false evidence while she was facing RD again and again because...?

Just because something is for children it dosen't mean that it have to be clichè. And the main series have better stories that have original twist in most of the episodes. And just cause it looks for kids it dosen't mean that have to be this way. And what should have been so adult in my version to dont show? Exept that friendship is not easy but is worthy fighting for.

I think that children could learn more if we stop threating them like monkeys. Otherwise why most of Disney past works are masterpiece?

They used more than the one photo shown, there was a folder of images dumped on Luna's desk, containing at least 3 to 4 photos.

Only so many photo manips can be made from the same source before its completely obvious their reusing the same material over again.

As well as the timing, they had turned that in the night of the big dance. doing it over and over again would be far to obvious, as well as thered be tighter security after the initial attack

Like i said, everything is Cliche, and actually people do ask why disney movies are considered masterpieces, they reuse ENTIRE SCENES repeatedly in their movies.

They just overlay them with new edits and reuse the assets and animation otherwise.

Theres entire web sites and videos dedicated to showing this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWKo5veKjVU

For that matter, most of disney's works aren't even original, they're remakes of older material that disney bought or hashed together from various tales elsewhere.

99% of them are actually PUBLIC DOMAIN (i.e. FREE and no licensing fees) fairy tales that Disney butchered to make more family friendly, then exploited that to create less than quality sequels to make more money.

After all, i'm sure they're still paying the orphans and the families of those orphans that they bought Peter pan from right?

Never mind disney now plasters they're name on everything peter pan related, and no longer even mentions where the license was purchased from.

So you want cliche, do watch those disney films some more, and do watch for the holes they have from needing to re-write most of the stories they took. The reused scenes, and repeated messages, meaningless little jokes, and pointless movie moments.

Most childrens movies don't even try to tie things together, they just make a movie to entertain the kids, and to some extent the parents.

EG actually took an extra step and closed the majority of its holes.

Edited by GrimCW

They used more than the one photo shown, there was a folder of images dumped on Luna's desk, containing at least 3 to 4 photos.

Only so many photo manips can be made from the same source before its completely obvious their reusing the same material over again.

As well as the timing, they had turned that in the night of the big dance. doing it over and over again would be far to obvious, as well as thered be tighter security after the initial attack

Like i said, everything is Cliche, and actually people do ask why disney movies are considered masterpieces, they reuse ENTIRE SCENES repeatedly in their movies.

They just overlay them with new edits and reuse the assets and animation otherwise.

Theres entire web sites and videos dedicated to showing this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWKo5veKjVU

For that matter, most of disney's works aren't even original, they're remakes of older material that disney bought or hashed together from various tales elsewhere.

99% of them are actually PUBLIC DOMAIN (i.e. FREE and no licensing fees) fairy tales that Disney butchered to make more family friendly, then exploited that to create less than quality sequels to make more money.

After all, i'm sure they're still paying the orphans and the families of those orphans that they bought Peter pan from right?

Never mind disney now plasters they're name on everything peter pan related, and no longer even mentions where the license was purchased from.

So you want cliche, do watch those disney films some more, and do watch for the holes they have from needing to re-write most of the stories they took. The reused scenes, and repeated messages, meaningless little jokes, and pointless movie moments.

Most childrens movies don't even try to tie things together, they just make a movie to entertain the kids, and to some extent the parents.

EG actually took an extra step and closed the majority of its holes.

Are you serious? You paragonate scenes from movie made in the years 40/50/60. What did you expect at those time, with the problems that they had in those years. And despite this the movie that you showed in that clips are so much above EQG that even having them in the same argument is a offense to them.

And im perfectly concius that nowadays Disney has lost is way, but there are still good movie. The Princess and the Frog and Wreck It Ralph. And yeah, they butchered the classic fairy tails, but they still give me more than a gosebump in some scenes.

And you dont understand between clichè and over-used clip. EQG have thousend of clichè stuff take it from teenagers movie.

And you still don't understand the point of my version of the Football Match. Sunset could have take it the picture that she needed and left even in my version.

The scene made sense, it was just poorly executed. The idea of testing Twilight to see if she was determined is very workable, even in a high-school girls setting--it just---sorry, I'm not an EQG fan.

The photos too. I thought the whole time "Okay, so they're bein' all avant-garde by using Social Media as the driver of the plot, we're probaly gonna' see Photoshopped pictures..." and then it turns out they were cut-and-paste. And I pause the movie for the twentieth time to go, "Come ON, Luna! You can't see that they were physically cut out of another picture? For REALS?"

(edited)

Are you serious? You paragonate scenes from movie made in the years 40/50/60. What did you expect at those time, with the problems that they had in those years. And despite this the movie that you showed in that clips are so much above EQG that even having them in the same argument is a offense to them.

And you still don't understand the point of my version of the Football Match. Sunset could have take it the picture that she needed and left even in my version.

Thats just one example of many, even their newer movies have re-used animation. Do a search on it, anything up through the 90's had recycled animation. That was when Disney did their own work mostly.The majority of their other new content is outsourced, not even disney. Just licensed to be distributed by disney. Kinda moots it if they aren't doing the work. Pixar and Dreamworks have been the creative minds behind the new movies lately. To them i'll give credit. Disney is the publisher and just puts down the cash. They don't actively employ/own the studios (well, they bought Pixar a bit ago after realizing how good they were, but still they had to BUY that recognition, they didn't EARN it)

I'll give them credit on wreck it ralph, but look how much cameo material they needed just to get it anywhere. Do you think without the obvious modern vid game references that would've even been an interesting picture? TBH i've seen parts of the original storyboard, and it was BAD....

Your point doesn't come through clear, broken english aside, what do you mean take the picture and left?

She had snips and snails taking various images she could manipulate if/when she needed, and until after the song and dance in the cafeteria she hadn't needed much else besides the goofy video she posted online. But still, she went ahead later and edited those photos in the library (and ditched the originals there to be found later) and turned them in.

Takes time to cutout and manip the photos, not something she'd have done in a split seconds time. Especially not when she was having those two dingbats get to it.

Not to mention, timing is everything, if you throw your best hand down right away you won't know if you've even got a chance. She held off and when it seemed she was really in trouble, she pulled the ace out and put it on the table.

you've yet to explain anything besides that you disagree with RD being a stubborn competitive jerk. Of which, lets face it, she always was.

And I pause the movie for the twentieth time to go, "Come ON, Luna! You can't see that they were physically cut out of another picture? For REALS?"

In her defense the ones she had on her desk were better quality than the one Sentry handed her :P

looks like they used the copier instead of a photoshop program...

assumption being they cut them out, trimmed, and then overlayed and copied...

Otherwise not sure how they'd have ended up with cut photos in the trash bin, but being in the library it kinda fits together on its own after twilights flub with said copying machine.

Would've been smarter to use a picture editor since the images were digital though.. but tbh that takes time i suppose, so cut and cover would've been faster...

Edited by GrimCW

(edited)

Oh, the old photocopy trick...well...I suppose I can accept that. Still, they could have pointed that out...it looked pretty bad in context.

And as far as Wreck-It Ralph...I went to that movie because Sonic was in it for ten seconds. I thoroughly enjoyed it because Sonic was in it for ten seconds. The rest of the movie was made of cameos and, I concur, a pretty poor story.

Edited by Dawn Stripes
  • Brohoof 1

Oh, the old photocopy trick...well...I suppose I can accept that. Still, they could have pointed that out...it looked pretty bad in context.

like i said in a previous post, DETAILS PONIES DETAILS! :P

the hints were there, but so easily missed so often.. This movie did have an explanation for nearly everything... NEARLY everything.... had to do a triple take and rewind it a few times just to make sure the sound i heard pinkie make when she unballed after explaining "Nervicited" to Twilight was what i thought it was... and it was... She is Pinkie Prime! Leader of the Ponybots! :P

Thats just one example of many, even their newer movies have re-used animation. Do a search on it, anything up through the 90's had recycled animation. That was when Disney did their own work mostly.The majority of their other new content is outsourced, not even disney. Just licensed to be distributed by disney. Kinda moots it if they aren't doing the work. Pixar and Dreamworks have been the creative minds behind the new movies lately. To them i'll give credit. Disney is the publisher and just puts down the cash. They don't actively employ/own the studios (well, they bought Pixar a bit ago after realizing how good they were, but still they had to BUY that recognition, they didn't EARN it)

I'll give them credit on wreck it ralph, but look how much cameo material they needed just to get it anywhere. Do you think without the obvious modern vid game references that would've even been an interesting picture? TBH i've seen parts of the original storyboard, and it was BAD....

Your point doesn't come through clear, broken english aside, what do you mean take the picture and left?

She had snips and snails taking various images she could manipulate if/when she needed, and until after the song and dance in the cafeteria she hadn't needed much else besides the goofy video she posted online. But still, she went ahead later and edited those photos in the library (and ditched the originals there to be found later) and turned them in.

Takes time to cutout and manip the photos, not something she'd have done in a split seconds time. Especially not when she was having those two dingbats get to it.

Not to mention, timing is everything, if you throw your best hand down right away you won't know if you've even got a chance. She held off and when it seemed she was really in trouble, she pulled the ace out and put it on the table.

you've yet to explain anything besides that you disagree with RD being a stubborn competitive jerk. Of which, lets face it, she always was.

You don't understand, my point is not what Sunset did with the photo. My original point was, before get kinda of OT, about how the scene IMO would have been better. And for the last time, i dont disagree about RD attitude, i disagree about the scene was made.

Thats it.

And for the movie for itself i can't make you change your mind about it, and i wont.

Soccer scene was a test between RD and Twilight.  If Twilight would have given up instead of persevering, RD would have probably turned her down.  Plus it was just something extra.  I don't think the scene was pointless.

For the scene to have been pointless, the soccer match would have either had nothing to do with RD helping or she was intent on helping either way.  From my POV RD was testing her to see if Twilight was worth helping. 

(edited)

Obviously, she wanted to see if Twilight had the determination to become princess of the Fall Formal. She may not even be close to Rainbow Dash's level of skill in sports and athleticism, but she has spirit and willpower and that is one of the great traits that Twilight has. This is a good point against some that were saying that the mane 6 is now not balanced. Even though it is in the human world in that scene, it would still be like that in Equestria. Twilight would still not hold a candle to RD in things like that so she obviously is not an over powered 'I can do everything' princess. It is her defining traits that make her who she is, that being her leadership skills, her skill in magic, and her overall will.

Ya know, I like that scene a lot more now, even if it is not direct canon. :P I guess it all depends on how you look at it.

Edited by Kyoshi
  • Brohoof 1

There was no point. At all. It wasn't entertaining or funny, it provided nothing we didn't already know or witnessed ourselves (Human Dash is athletic and Twilight is clumsy), and slowed down the already slow scenes in which the HuMane Five had to make up for breaking all ties for the silliest reasons. The only point I can imagine is that Sunset used the pictures took during the scene to create those doctored photos by hand, itself a very dumb moment.

Soccer scene was a test between RD and Twilight. If Twilight would have given up instead of persevering, RD would have probably turned her down.

While that is the reason given within the movie, it seems like a shoddy reason to me. Wouldn't it have been better to have Dash decide to trust Twilight after seeing her do something gutsy or admirable and judging her based on character, as opposed to this sorta contrived soccer challenge. "Because nothing says 'this person knows what they're doing' like taking on a time-wasting challenge that accomplishes nothing tangible. She's fit to rule a leader!"

And yeah, while there's a stated "point", that point is pointless, if that makes sense. George Lucas could write an Indiana Jones adventure where he has to throw monkey butts on power-lines to prove he's ready to go after the artifact of Destiny. Yeah, within the context of the story there's a point, but it's a stupid point that could have easily been written out or made more effective and economical.

It's all about keeping the script as tight as possible.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

While that is the reason given within the movie, it seems like a shoddy reason to me. Wouldn't it have been better to have Dash decide to trust Twilight after seeing her do something gutsy or admirable and judging her based on character, as opposed to this sorta contrived soccer challenge. "Because nothing says 'this person knows what they're doing' like taking on a time-wasting challenge that accomplishes nothing tangible. She's fit to rule a leader!"

You are familiar with the elements of harmony, right?  Fluttershy is kindness.  Rarity is generosity.  Pinkie Pie is laughter. Applejack is honesty.  What was Rainbow Dash again? ... Oh right, she's loyalty.  So it stands to reason that a challenge to test Twilights loyalty to her cause would be befitting.  Think about it like this, if Twilight would have given up then how much did she really care about her cause? In Rainbow's eyes she stuck it out and gave it her all because she was loyal.

How would you have had Rainbow test her? Being gutsy was going up against someone you know is better than you.  Doing something admirable is taking on a challenge even though you know you can't win.  I'm pretty sure Rainbow had enough after the match to judge Twilight's character.
Edited by Night Shadow

How would you have had Rainbow test her?

That's just it. There shouldn't have been a "test". Just have her realize that Twilight is a commendable person through some natural means, like seeing her stand up to Sunset Shimmer or something similar. It's just weird that Dash has this little test of character she has worked out in her head. Unless your some movie wise man who's trying to determine whether a pupil is ready for advanced training/is strong with the Force or whatever, nobody thinks and acts like that.

Yes, I am "familiar with the Elements of Harmony", and I get what the scene was trying to get across, but for me, it isn't about whether or not it makes sense from a thematic standpoint, which it does. It's just a clunky and awkward way of handling this idea.

• Brohoof 1

Well Rainbow said it herself, she wanted to see how far she'd go, and I guess she likes winning and having fun playing sports.

As far as the scene from a production standpoint, i assume its just for fun, and maybe to show off Rainbow playing soccer.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Do you think it would've been better with another type of sport? I guess the writers though that football (Soccer in the US) would translate better internationally than baseball or basketball.

So why only release it in the US????? I think it was more fitting for RD than any other team sport, tho I honestly see her more fit for athletics like sprinting.

But yeah, like others have said, RD was testing Twilight's grit and determination, she wasn't looking to see if Twilight could win in the first place. She said so herself after all.

Edited by Freedan
  • Brohoof 1

There was no point. At all. It wasn't entertaining or funny, it provided nothing we didn't already know or witnessed ourselves (Human Dash is athletic and Twilight is clumsy), and slowed down the already slow scenes in which the HuMane Five had to make up for breaking all ties for the silliest reasons. The only point I can imagine is that Sunset used the pictures took during the scene to create those doctored photos by hand, itself a very dumb moment.

And yeah, while there's a stated "point", that point is pointless, if that makes sense. George Lucas could write an Indiana Jones adventure where he has to throw monkey butts on power-lines to prove he's ready to go after the artifact of Destiny. Yeah, within the context of the story there's a point, but it's a stupid point that could have easily been written out or made more effective and economical.

It's all about keeping the script as tight as possible.

That's the point i was trying to say, but not in such crystal clear way. Brohoof for the truth, buddy.

Like i've said too, challange Sunset takes more guts than a football game. Heck, i could even say that TS is more awesome than RD cause of that!

(edited)

nobody thinks and acts like that.

Normally maybe not, but RD likes to show off and prove she's "Awesome" whenever she gets the chance. New girl, new person to prove herself against.

I mean, again, who runs a "coolest pet" contest just to decide which pet they're going to get? One loaded with endurance tests, and just random things?! Only RD thats who!

It could also be taken as a throwback to when Twilight met the original RD too. What happened? Twilight challenged RD to clear the sky, and RD took it personally, then whipped the clouds out with time to spare.

This time it was the other way around.  RD challenged Twilight, but of course twilight couldn't win.

But mostly given RD's usual attitude, this makes total sense on her part.

She was showing off and seeing if Twilight was going to stay and fight despite insurmountable, and completely unwinnable odds, which is what going against sunset shimmer was considered.

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 2

Even though GrimCW has stated, basically, the same thing over and over. He is right, at least in my opinion. RD was just showing of when she challenged Twilight. She was going to help her anyways.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

And RD never misses a chance to show off :P She's a stubborn, egotistical, showoff, that'll do anything just to prove herself.. mostly to herself... Only exception is when it risks a life. Then she backs down it seems.. but normally.. nooo way.

i should go away now... but not sure if i can.. boredom is a wondrous thing, truly it is.. 

Edited by GrimCW

Do you think it would've been better with another type of sport? I guess the writers though that football (Soccer in the US) would translate better internationally than baseball or basketball.

I believe it's an age thing. When many of the writers were in high school in North America, the guys played football while the girls played soccer. At least, that's how it worked in my high school twenty-five years ago. They needed Twilight kicking something energetically for the doctored images, and it's easier pull that from soccer/football/rugby/etc. than from other sports.

• Brohoof 1

I believe it's an age thing. When many of the writers were in high school in North America, the guys played football while the girls played soccer. At least, that's how it worked in my high school twenty-five years ago. They needed Twilight kicking something energetically for the doctored images, and it's easier pull that from soccer/football/rugby/etc. than from other sports.

I guess your right, since EGQ hasn't actually been officially released internationally. I guess in high school soccer is the most popular sport with girls, then again it depends on the demographics of the region you live in, could be softball, volleyball, or basketball.

• Brohoof 1

This is true, in the UK the closest thing to American football is Rugby, kinda similar but with less armour, and while they could have used Rugby or American Football, I don't think Americans would understand the differences in Rugby, and the Brits wouldn't get American football, while soccer/ or as I call it regular football is recognised across a lot of the world.

• Brohoof 1

This is true, in the UK the closest thing to American football is Rugby, kinda similar but with less armour, and while they could have used Rugby or American Football, I don't think Americans would understand the differences in Rugby, and the Brits wouldn't get American football, while soccer/ or as I call it regular football is recognised across a lot of the world.

I'm not saying that girls can't play football or rugby, but I think because of social stereotypes...like the ones bronies are breaking....the "American" public would find it confusing if they where playing a sport that girls usually don't play.

• 4 weeks later...

Let's pretend this scene never happens and Rainbow helps Twilight from the start:

Snips and Snail would never shot the Pictures of Twilight playing soccer to frame her (which was also pointless, cause Flash cleared her name)

The Fall Formal would still be on the planned day without Twilight and the Humane 5 cleaning it

The whole missunderstanding with Twilight saying no to Flash's question if she would dance with him wouldn't happend

...Yeah I think the scene was pretty pointless

There was a point to the scene, even if the scene was poorly executed. Dashie was probably testing Twilight to see if she could keep up with her or to see if she was up to the challenge of stepping up to a challenge and successfully complete it on her own.

• Brohoof 1