Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What was the point of this scene?

Thomas Wade

Rainbow Dash should have challenged Twilight to a Kendo match instead. Then we could have watched as Twilight got whooped with a wooden sword! COOL! As it was, Rainbow just wanted to see the level of Twilight's commitment. She gave it her all, against insurmountable odds. Rainbow really respected that! 

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

There was a point to the scene, even if the scene was poorly executed. Dashie was probably testing Twilight to see if she could keep up with her or to see if she was up to the challenge of stepping up to a challenge and successfully complete it on her own.

Well, is not like she had a choice. We know that TS MUST win the crown. And we saw that the huMANE 6 made peace (when they could have talked to one other). And we know that TS can't beat her, and we know that RD will help her in a way or in an other. There was nothing to lose in the game.

• Brohoof 1

Well, is not like she had a choice. We know that TS MUST win the crown. And we saw that the huMANE 6 made peace (when they could have talked to one other). And we know that TS can't beat her, and we know that RD will help her in a way or in an other. There was nothing to lose in the game.

Actually, there was something to lose. If Twilight refused to play, or gave up part way, then Dash would know that Twilight was a quitter that wouldn't see the task to the end or try to overcome obstacles. It was a test of personality, not of skill. There is no way Twilight *can* win against any of the other Mane6 in their areas of specialization. But if she's not willing to *try* to keep up, then she doesn't have the will to win at anything.

Actually, there was something to lose. If Twilight refused to play, or gave up part way, then Dash would know that Twilight was a quitter that wouldn't see the task to the end or try to overcome obstacles. It was a test of personality, not of skill. There is no way Twilight *can* win against any of the other Mane6 in their areas of specialization. But if she's not willing to *try* to keep up, then she doesn't have the will to win at anything.

I meant lose the football game. There was no reason why she would refuse. And then why shouldn't RD help Twilight to detrhon Sunset cause she was so mean with her friend.

It was time filler for the most part. The story itself came up short and they needed extra things to fill in. Sunset's framing Twilight picture stunt, making Vice Principal Luna look incompetent, and Flash "knight in shining armor" moment wasn't all that good.

• Brohoof 2

It just wouldn't be as interesting if Rainbow Dash immediately agreed to help. Establishing character motives is important for story development as well as character development. I understand if you don't enjoy the scene, but it was not pointless.

It just wouldn't be as interesting if Rainbow Dash immediately agreed to help. Establishing character motives is important for story development as well as character development. I understand if you don't enjoy the scene, but it was not pointless.

Estabilish character motives is one of the (many) things that this movie did wrong.

In the end is the same character that we have learned to love in the series, despite people start to think that liked a human version of a pony despite the fact that are the same character (only where in the series are made well here seems more like some lame copy).

RD challange TS for the sake to put her to the test her will, but this isn't something not that important, the world is at stake, maybe even both worlds (even if i think that Sunset plan is dumb), of course she is not gonna give up. She was prepared to go into another dimension without knowing what she would meet. I think that a football game is the least of the things that TS would quit.

And again, RD already made peace with AJ. So why would she not agree to help TS to win the crown if this mean that Sunset, a mean girls who bullies her friends, would get the crown? We knew that TS would have lost. We knew that she would have helped TS to get the crown. The scene, if not pointless, is WEAK!

The scene could be meant as an alternative to boaster Twilight since the other 5 worked it all out themselves and she did nothing more than point out how dumb they all were.

• Brohoof 1

I meant lose the football game. There was no reason why she would refuse. And then why shouldn't RD help Twilight to detrhon Sunset cause she was so mean with her friend.

If Twilight failed to try her best, then RD would likely have insisted on the gang putting up someone else against Sunset as Twilight had proved she was a loser and not able to stick it out. Likely herself at first because of ego, and then Rarity when she realized what exactly she would have to do. Remember that at that point in the movie, RD might know everyone else there, but Twilight is a stranger that she's never seen until recently. She doesn't know how Twilight reacts to things other than school rumors of her being some kind of freak mental patient. She doesn't know about the alternate dimensions, and why Twilight needs that crown, or anything like that. And the rest of the gang are obviously too trusting and easily fooled, given how Sunset manipulated them, so RD isn't going to fall for that again.

I know people just like RD, and that's exactly what they would do. According to them, even. I asked.

Edited by Fhaolan

If Twilight failed to try her best, then RD would likely have insisted on the gang putting up someone else against Sunset as Twilight had proved she was a loser and not able to stick it out. Likely herself at first because of ego, and then Rarity when she realized what exactly she would have to do. Remember that at that point in the movie, RD might know everyone else there, but Twilight is a stranger that she's never seen until recently. She doesn't know how Twilight reacts to things other than school rumors of her being some kind of freak mental patient. She doesn't know about the alternate dimensions, and why Twilight needs that crown, or anything like that. And the rest of the gang are obviously too trusting and easily fooled, given how Sunset manipulated them, so RD isn't going to fall for that again.

I know people just like RD, and that's exactly what they would do. According to them, even. I asked.

As i already state, WE know that Twilight will not quit. There is a wolrd at stake. She didn't back up to go into another DIMENSION for cry out loud. And we know that she can't beat RD, and WE know that she will help her even if she lose the game.

And again, if it isn't pointless, sure is WEAK.

As i already state, WE know that Twilight will not quit. There is a wolrd at stake. She didn't back up to go into another DIMENSION for cry out loud. And we know that she can't beat RD, and WE know that she will help her even if she lose the game.

And again, if it isn't pointless, sure is WEAK.

*WE* don't matter in this case. RD does. If RD simply accepted Twilight's ability to stand up to Shimmer without any proof whatsoever, I would have called foul on RD's characterization. *THAT* would have been weak. We had to have a scene where RD tested Twi, because RD had no reason to trust her at all. It doesn't matter what we know, because RD doesn't know what we know. If all the characters knew everything we knew, we'd have an entire movie of Pinkie Pies, and that, also, would have been weak.

Now, was the scene itself done well? No. It needed RD saying something along the lines of, "Now I know you won't back down." at the end. Emphasis on the 'I'. RD needed her own proof, not just going along with 'She's our friend now, just accept it.' that AJ must have told her offscreen for pity's sake.

The audience needed to see more characterization from RD. We got a good amount of characterization from Rarity, and some from Fluttershy. We got Applejack as the 'voice of exposition', as well as Pinkie Pie's.... Pinkie Pieness. But all Rainbow Dash really had was that competition, and without that ending line or something similar to it, the characterization was lost.

• 7 years later...