• Dr. Caballeron
    • Fleetfoot
    • Wind Rider
    • Spoiled Rich (Diamond Tiara's Mother)
    • Svengallop (Ra Ra's Manager)
    • Sassy Saddles
    • Principal Cinch

(edited)

alternative name - Worst Villain: The Poll: The Experience: The Pre-Sequel: The Novel: The Movie: The Game: The Sequel

Who is the worst villain in the series? Only applies to main villains.

Anyway, I think it's King Sombra. He just is...boring. He may be the looming threat, but he design is too complicated and he got little to no lines. It was also never really stated just why he wanted to take over the empire, while all of the other villains had valid reasons.

Er, anyway, have fun voting.

EDIT: Adding in Season Four villains

EDIT 2, ELECTRIC BOOGALOO: Adding in Season Five villains

Edited by Shift
  • Brohoof 8

I'd say Sunset Shimmer. I would've said King Sombra, but he HAS been able to manage to rule the Crystal Empire for a thousand years. Sunset Shimmer, however.. she barely came close to ruling Equestria.

Sunset Shimmer.

Like I said before Sombra is based-off SAURON. So he doesn't have to have lines or a reason to be evil.

while Sunset was less of a villain than Snips and SNails

(edited)

inb4 ton of shallow King Sombra downvotes. If anyone's already voted for King Sombra, read this and reconsider. ;)

Anyhoo, voting for Sunset Shimmer. She had the least impact on me as a villain. While the other villains came close to taking over Equestria, Sunset Shimmer didn't. All the way through the film before the end, she was a typical high school bully and slightly sullied the film from the predictability of her character traits, before suddenly transmogrifying into a massive demon. She was a very inconsistent villain.

Edited by Flipturn Amaterasu ツ
  • Brohoof 9

@,

Technically, he was just trapped in stone for a thousand years and ruled the empire, for, like, five years? Tops? Maybe ten? He certainly didn't rule it for over a century, and definitely not a millennia though. 

Yes sure Sombra clearly did not plan ahead of His enemies. he clearly did not gave the crystal Ponies Scars for life, he clearly did not act like a complete monster in front of that crystal mare, he clearly did not clear the memories of the crystal Ponies so that the Crystal Heart Won't work....Oh wait he DID

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

@,

Technically, he was just trapped in stone for a thousand years and ruled the empire, for, like, five years? Tops? Maybe ten? He certainly didn't rule it for over a century, and definitely not a millennia though. 

While Sombra didn't have real time acting authority over the Empire, the curse he laid on it that made it vanish for a thousand years was something that neither Celestia nor Luna could revert for the entirety of those thousand years. Thus it is correct to say that he did control the Empire for a thousand years.

He also wasn't "trapped in stone"... where are you getting that from? Discord was the one trapped in stone. Sombra lost a fight against Celestia and Luna and disappeared into the Arctic, and when he came back he was significantly more powerful than before. He couldn't have gained that power if he were trapped in stone.

That's another good quality about Sombra - you can use your imagination. There's enough substance in him to get the gist of his enigmatic, reserved aura, but there's also enough that you don't know about him to encourage creative thinking in the fanon side of things. Isn't the creative content of the Brony community part of what makes it strong? Sombra was a gift!

• Brohoof 2

Chrysalis..
She's probably the dumbest villain on that list.

I mean, she disguises herself as Princess Cadence but instead of acting like the real Cadence to gain everyone's trust, she just acts like herself (a stuck-up bitch) anyway? Was she just hoping that people would assume she's just tired from planning for the wedding and not suspect anything otherwise?
That and Shining Armour has to put up a shield because a threat has been made against Canterlot.. Meaning she must have gotten caught at some point.
Unless the threat was made beforehand, so she had to sneak in past the shield.. And if that's the case, why didn't her changeling army just sneak in the way she did?

That and her plan seems pretty fuzzy, but hey.. Enough ranting

Lich_Image.png

Also do I have to add that this guy only has one line  which is "Finn, are you cold?" Yet Adventure time fans love him and he doesn't even has a reason to be evil

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@,

Gah, meant trapped in the arctic.

Truly, I just thought of him as a boring villain. Discord, Chrysalis, etc were completely original. However, as for Sombra, the 'LOOMING VILLAIN OF DARKNESS IS HERE...YOU MUST STOP HIM IN TIME'. Just cliché. But the others were brilliant. Discord and Chrysalis both were both very original. Sombra was just...like Sauron, Scar, Ursula, That Queen in Sleeping Beauty, Queen of Hearts, and many, many others.

Edited by Shift

(edited)

@,

Gah, meant trapped in the arctic.

Truly, I just thought of him as a boring villain. Discord, Chrysalis, etc were completely original. However, as for Sombra, the 'LOOMING VILLAIN OF DARKNESS IS HERE...YOU MUST STOP HIM IN TIME'. Just cliché. But the others were brilliant. Discord and Chrysalis both were both very original. Sombra was just...like Sauron, Scar, Ursula, That Queen in Sleeping Beauty, Queen of Hearts, and many, many others.

If anything, Sombra is the opposite of cliché. If he spent his time loudly announcing his plans to take over the world and laughing maniacally right in front of the hero crew, that would be cliché. But King Sombra understands what other antagonists don't - to be a successful villain, you have to be tactical. He kept his identity - and consequently his weak points, if any - secret to his opposition, and kept his distance. He's like a hitman.

• Brohoof 5

@,

True, true. In all, he's like Scar.

Anyways, good arguments. I truly just don't like him for over complicated design and just being boring, but that's just me.

Added secondary villain choice BTW. 

• Brohoof 1

Added secondary villain choice BTW. 

You voted for Flim & Flam... stop voting for all my favourites :P

---

Secondary villain, voting for Diamond Tiara & Silver Spoon. Just because I despise them with a passion :c I guess they do their jobs as antagonists right, but they're so insufferable.

Sombra. I know: he set up those traps, enslaved the ponies, evil this and evil that, but his lack of personality kills it for me. Without a character to him, he feels like just a generic bad guy. (Oh, and I haven't watch Equestria Girls yet so this doesn't take Sunset Shimmer into consideration)

As for the secondary villains... I don't know; I guess I'll go with Diamond dogs. 

Seriously?  More people have voted for Sombra than Sunset Shimmer?!?!  OK, before this madness goes any further, let me clear some things up...

King Sombra did not end up doing too much, yes, I will concede that.  BUT he was a real and present danger to the Crystal Empire the entire time!  He clearly had and displayed the power to re-enslave the Crystal Ponies, and was on the brink of doing so before his plans were foiled by the Mane 6 and Spike.  Plus he showed himself to be a pretty genius, if somewhat paranoid, villain with the many devious and rather ingenious traps and puzzles he'd left behind in the Crystal Palace to foil anypony's efforts to find the Crystal Heart.  All in all, he was a pretty dang good villain; even if he ultimately didn't do that much, he was a clear and present danger that presented a very real and serious threat to the Crystal Empire.

Sunset Shimmer, on the other hand, has the worst, I repeat, THE WORST plan of any villain to date on the show!!!  Details under the spoiler tag below for those of you who still haven't seen EQG, but those of you who have, you know exactly what I'm talking about.  The following excerpt is taken from my review of EQG:

Sunset Shimmer was... absolutely wasted. Hands down, she's the worst villain the show's had yet. Every other villain thus far has had (1) clear motivations and (2) come across as a real and dangerous threat. Sunset had neither. Her motivations were not revealed until the VERY end of the movie, and since her background was very poorly explained as well, we just got a villain who I had no bucking idea why she was doing ANY of what she was doing other than to be a jerk, which DOES NOT make for a threatening villain. All we got was a bully, and a really cliche bully at that. On top of that, she has one of the worst plans I've ever heard of!!! She basically planned on taking over Equestria with, if I'm being really generous, 50-100 zombified minions, who wouldn't have even been that much of a threat even if they were turned into hellspawn like Snips and Snails. Here's exactly what she said:

"I want Equestria! And with my own little teenage army behind me, I'm going to get it!!!"

img-1599081-5-mellow.png ...

img-1599081-6-mellow.png ...

img-1599081-7-mellow.png ...

"My own little teenage army..."

"TEENAGE ARMY!!!!!!!" img-1599081-8-angry.png

That's the stupidest, most unthreatening line and plan I've EVER heard!!!!!!!!!! Sombra was more threatening with his crystal fetish!!!!!! And it's such a shame, because I absolutely LOVED Sunset's pony design!!! It was very different from what we'd gotten in the past with villains, and she as a whole had a lot of potential to be a good villain. Two students of Celestia face off, that should've been AWESOME!!! Instead, she was LAME!!!!!! Just utterly lame, stupid, and cliche. Her rushed redemption at the end, which made Trixie's look like it was balanced and drawn out, did not help, since it was too fast and poorly explained. Overall, I'm very disappointed in how Sunset turned out.

So yeah, there you have it, basically every reason Sunset Shimmer is the worst villain MLP's had to date.  And again, I cannot emphasize this enough, I'm really mad about that because I loved her pony design and thought she could've been something new and fresh for the show!

As for secondary antagonists, I voted for Jet Set and Upper Crust, just because, eh, I don't know, they're the least troublesome of any of the secondary antagonists.  I never even really thought of them as such; they just looked down on Rarity and the rest of the Mane 6 and made a couple of snide remarks about them and Ponyville.  Not very villainous really, so I guess if we're counting them among secondary antagonists then I'd have to say they're the worst secondary antagonists.

• Brohoof 8

I voted King Sombra and the Diamond Dogs.

Now, before any of you Sombra lovers get on my case, I want to explain why. I rate my villains on how much I can relate to them, and how much I enjoy them as a character. I could not relate to Sombra at all, mostly because he failed to have any true dialogue, and his potential backstory explanation by Celestia focused much more on the Crystal Kingdom than on him. I didn't enjoy him very much as a character because he didn't have any character. Now, this type of antagonist works in movies like Lord of the Rings because there are other, smaller antagonists that catch your attention, that actually have character. The Crystal Empire episodes had only the looming antagonist. That is why I didn't enjoy him as a villain. Yeah, he was smart; Discord, Chrysalis, and NMM were smart too. His design was really cool, but I still like all of the other main villain's more.

I don't even consider Sunset Shimmer a main villain, so that's why I did not vote for her.

I voted the Diamond Dogs, not because I didn't enjoy them, but because they were simply the worst minor antagonists. They stole Rarity, she dominated them, and they gave her back whimpering with their tails between their legs. I don't really have to explain more.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

As much as I like down-voting Discord whenever I get the chance, I had to go with Sunset Shimmer. Her end game was ridiculous and had no way whatsoever to actually come close to bearing fruit. Kind of want to say Nightmare Rarity too just because I find the nightmare creatures retarded.

As for secondary, since I can't vote Silver Spoon by herself (I like Diamond Tiara :P), I'll go with Gilda. I don't particularly like the looks of the griffons in the show and I very much dislike her voice and attitude.

Edited by Greenlitsky

Well its hard to say, because honestly I don't find any of the villains outright bad. I mean they all had their strong points, and their weak points.

I just picked Sombra, due to him not having alot of backstory or lines. I don't dislike him though, infact I think he looks awesome and has alot of cool mystery surrounding him, hes also pretty darn powerful.

As far as secondary antagonist, i'd have to say jet set and upper crust, they're just stuck up, and like thats it. Idk they just aren't that memorable or interesting to me, pretty similar to most of the canterlot folk.

Keep in mind I didn't include Nightmare Rarity, Garble, or Ahuizolt in my choice because I don't know who they are or anything about them.

inb4 ton of shallow King Sombra downvotes. If anyone's already voted for King Sombra, read this and reconsider. ;)

<:'3 Sadly, none of them seem to care; they biasly vote for him anyway.

Shimmer wasn't terrible, but she's more cliche and underwhelming than the rest, for me. As far as secondary goes, Diamond Tiara. She's more genuinely annoying than an antagonist you can enjoy to dislike.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Chrysalis.

She's a complete idiot.

"This purple unicorn thinks that I'm Cadence so let's be an ass to everyone so that she'll notice that I've changed, and eventually try to stop the Wedding  :muffins: "

"Hey this Twilight Sparkle seems to have a good relationship with the pony I took the looks of and trapped into the caves, so let's trap her too after she comes to think that I'm the true Cadence so that they're able to reunite, return here, and kick my butt  :muffins: "

"Hey, let's show my true self, even though nobody can say that the Cadence that just appeared is the true one, so I'll take the risk of losing against Celestia  :muffins: "

"Hey, the wielders  of the Elements of Harmony are running, oh let's just say that they can run but not hide and take once again the risk of getting my ass kicked  :muffins: "

"Hey I'm about to take over Canterlot, let's stay near the window and sing an useless reprise of the last song while the good guys are utterly free to do whatever they want to  :derp:  :muffins:  :derp:  :derp:  :derp:  :muffins: "

It's always nice to see how people hate on Sunset Shimmer just because she is a human, and as such doesn't have any magical power in her world.

Edited by Dark Moonlight
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Shimmer takes it for me. While Sombra is blasted for feeling like a waste of space or boring, Sunset Shimmer feels like even more of a blown opportunity, despite getting way more screen time. She's a former student of Celestia's for crying out loud. That could've been so cool but... it wasn't. It feels like they just tried to make another Trixie, but removed everything that people actually like about Trixie in the process. As for her master plan of conquering a land filled with magic users, alicorns, and spirits of chaos with an army of brainwashed teenagers...

Give me an imposing Sauron tribute who actually managed to lay some pretty clever traps and would've won if not for a baby dragon and Shining's expert wife-javelin skills.

As for the antagonists resisting urge to complain about the two votes for Lightning Dust, Tiara and Silver Spoon. Might've been the Diamond Dogs a while ago but judging from that clip released at Comic Con, they're hitting a new low in Season 4 >_>.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 3

Sunset Shimmer was a waste of villain material, since she wasn't used in the right way. If she was used the right way as a villain, then she would be a good villain. I know a lot of people are going to vote King Sombra was also a waste of material, also Diamond Tiara & Silver Spoon are annoying antagonists. Which we all know, that every villain's goal is to you guessed it.. TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

tumblr_m2whkmcJRm1qe5ain.gif

OF COURSE!