Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are you passionate about writing?

Sugar Pea

No, mainly because I am terrible at it. I am really good and passionate about coming up with many different ideas and I can even write those ideas down, but in terms of converting them into an entire story, I really cannot do that. I wish I could though.

I'm very passionate about mt writing. I actually used to hate writing. But, after taking a writing class in my junior year of high school, I found my calling. After turning in one creative story, my teacher said that I should self publish. I mainly write fiction in medieval settings, but I occasionally write sad stories set in the real world. As soon as I get enough money, I'm going to try and publish my first book.

Well, since I can't do anything else. . .

:huh:

It's not necessarily that I'm awful in everything else I do, it's just that I can only really find enjoyment in the written word.

I used to be. A couple of years ago I was convinced it was my life's calling, and I'd churn out scripts and stories like a madman. Later I realized I was a terrible writer and my self-esteem took a massive nosedive. Nowadays I'm on a roll if I can even manage a page per month. My heart isn't in it anymore.

Hoping to change that eventually, though. 

Anyone that call themselves a writer/poet/lyricist/etc. is more passionate about writing than I am.

I love to write... sort of. I used to write down short stories with my own characters and stuff but I would always toss it out -- there's no way I was letting anyone see those stories, especially when I didn't think they were good. I loved to write, but I've always hated my work and it's tough to convince me that my work isn't that bad when I feel like it could be so much better. 

These days, I mostly do freewrites as a sort of leisurely exercise. What I write about isn't super important to me; writing itself is just plain fun (unless it's about a terribly boring subject, as often seen in school essays).

I would even enjoy writing essays o.o  But after this one college English teacher nearly broke my spirit, it's not so enjoyable.

I know the feeling, except mine was with a high school teacher. I was doing so bad in that class, I remember saying to my friend "I never knew expressing your view could be so difficult". I absolutely detested English class for the next few years.

• 2 months later...

Ahh very! I for one love to write a good story! sadly I suck at it lol so I don't do it very much. ah most of the time the stories are based off my nightmares I have.. or If I'm in the mood I do a MLP story but ahh most of those suck anyway so..

Although I enjoy reading, I'm not really all that great at writing...

My writing style is much too stiff, compared to others. It's also really hard for me to come up with ideas that haven't been done before, or are good. 

However, I like roleplaying, which could technically be counted as a form of writing. 

Yes, I do like building up stories. But since I have erniated discs, if I sit down to write something, my neck start to hurt and it just keep me away from writing. (enough pain with school) Also, I don't like to share my stories, I'm really shy. So well, I build them up in my head, much more intertaining. But I have the reputation to write great stories at school... then they read it infront of the class. .-.

Anyway, 750th post. :D

There's nothing I'm more passionate about.

A story to me is like a painting to an artist; I throw all of myself in it, who I am, who I'm not, who I wanna be, what I feel, what I wish, what I lost, what I gained; my anger, my sorrow, my pain. I leave all of what I feel and what I think in what I write.

And when I'm feeling what I write, I get into a zone; it's almost like an out-of-body experience. I don't think, I don't listen; I'm very unaware of my surroundings. I just start pouring my heart out into the form of a story, almost subconciously; I get so focused, so deep into what I'm writing that it's like I'm actually there.

For my poems, I get like that, but to a lesser extent. My poems are like a painting, and my soul is like the pallete; they're much more direct than my stories, but I only write them when I'm really distressed about something; they're very generalized and don't directly state what's bothering me, but you can see my happiness or pain in them, unlike my stories, which you have to look past the story aspect and almost know me personally to be able to see the emotions in the plotline.

I just get so into it, though, it's hard not to be passionate about it.

• Brohoof 1

There's nothing I'm more passionate about.

A story to me is like a painting to an artist; I throw all of myself in it, who I am, who I'm not, who I wanna be, what I feel, what I wish, what I lost, what I gained; my anger, my sorrow, my pain. I leave all of what I feel and what I think in what I write.

And when I'm feeling what I write, I get into a zone; it's almost like an out-of-body experience. I don't think, I don't listen; I'm very unaware of my surroundings. I just start pouring my heart out into the form of a story, almost subconsciously; I get so focused, so deep into what I'm writing that it's like I'm actually there.

For my poems, I get like that, but to a lesser extent. My poems are like a painting, and my soul is like the pallet; they're much more direct than my stories, but I only write them when I'm really distressed about something; they're very generalized and don't directly state what's bothering me, but you can see my happiness or pain in them, unlike my stories, which you have to look past the story aspect and almost know me personally to be able to see the emotions in the plot-line.

I just get so into it, though, it's hard not to be passionate about it.

Well, dang it ghostfacekiller39! You explained everything so well, there's no point in me even trying to contribute to the conversation.img-387689-1-5e7kmu.png

• Brohoof 1

Well, dang it ghostfacekiller39! You explained everything so well, there's no point in me even trying to contribute to the conversation.img-387689-1-5e7kmu.png

LOL! I think you just explained to me why I end up accidentally killing so many threads on here laugh.png

But thanks for the compliment, none-the-less.biggrin.png

Ever since I was a little kid, I knew I wanted to be a writer. And that's more than can be said about most people even today. Writing was what I grew up with, it was my best friend. So of course, I was passionate about it. And... Well.

Then the block hit me. I've had blocks before, what writer hasn't? But this one was different from the others. It's last almost a year now, and has stripped me of the passion that was once there. I've been trying to get back into writing, but I dunno. It's just not the same.

This is something I haven't told anyone, not even ghosty, because it's something that really hurts me a lot. Writing is supposed to be who I am. If I'm not a writer, then what am I? Who is Afterwards?

Ever since I was a little kid, I knew I wanted to be a writer. And that's more than can be said about most people even today. Writing was what I grew up with, it was my best friend. So of course, I was passionate about it. And... Well.

Then the block hit me. I've had blocks before, what writer hasn't? But this one was different from the others. It's last almost a year now, and has stripped me of the passion that was once there. I've been trying to get back into writing, but I dunno. It's just not the same.

This is something I haven't told anyone, not even ghosty, because it's something that really hurts me a lot. Writing is supposed to be who I am. If I'm not a writer, then what am I? Who is Afterwards?

Look up some prompts, dude!

I hit a huge slump after bombing out on one of my AA fanfics. I didn't even know where to begin. So, a friend reccomended I look up some prompts, and it actually broke my slump. Just play ith the prompt you like most, and build the story around that.

Dude, you should've talked to me about this. You know how good I am with concepts and ideas. I would've easily been able to help you break this slump. :D

Right, thanks. I dunno man, I've been looking at prompts, and none of them seem to... interest me, I guess? I mean, there is that one fanfic I'm doing, which I'm hoping will help bring some of that passion back. But y'know. Baby steps I guess.

To be blunt, I'd like to be.

Among all the free time that I have, whether it's studying or pissing around, I always liked imagining stuff to keep me occupied. Even when I was younger I've given it a shot (terribly, in hindsight, but that's besides the point) and I enjoyed trying to get out what ever was in my mind. My problem is that I've got a serious procrastination/commitment problem, which means any attempt I make often ends about a month later or so.

I'm hoping to curb this via participating in NaNoWriMo. I hope this'll help me keep to a writing schedule.

To be blunt, I'd like to be.

Among all the free time that I have, whether it's studying or pissing around, I always liked imagining stuff to keep me occupied. Even when I was younger I've given it a shot (terribly, in hindsight, but that's besides the point) and I enjoyed trying to get out what ever was in my mind. My problem is that I've got a serious procrastination/commitment problem, which means any attempt I make often ends about a month later or so.

I'm hoping to curb this via participating in NaNoWriMo. I hope this'll help me keep to a writing schedule.

It looks like a lot of people from here are participating! That's surprising as I don't remember it having the same amount of reception last year. Good old Kolth Handsome Jack for making this all popular. ^^

As for me, I certainly am interested. Writing is an excellent way to both satisfy my creativity while expanding my vocabulary and giving me something to do for hours on end. It's a very personal thing as well, and a great way to indirectly share and expand upon emotion. I think that writing should be a mandatory part of schooling (and not essays, but creative writing) as it is engaging to students and lets us see the more creative process over the analytical one often used for essays and the like. c:

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am very passionate about writing a whole heap of things, but mostly:

Stories: I write really good Mythical/Fantasy/Adventure stories!!

Poems: I like to write poems, but I don't think I'm too good at them!

FAN FICTIONS!: I LOOOVVEEE writing fan fics, because you can use your imagination on things people like!

There is probably more, but I just can't remember them right now!!!

Despite my teachers telling me that I write "brilliantly" and my parents saying I should pursue a career in writing, I don't write all that often. Maybe a short story here and there but nothing really serious. I like writing and I do write fanfiction, but not as much as I used to.

I've been writing fanficton and original fiction for the better half of two decades. I really only discovered a passion for it in the past few years, though, since I developed a better idea of who I want to write for, what I want to write, and how to include my greatest passion: flight.

I'm not much of a writer nowa days. I used to write short stories and poetry, but words now fail me. :/

My favourite book so far is Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. It's an amazing story!

If you'd like, Here's a summery!! :

It's the year 2044, and the real world has become an ugly place. We're out of oil. We've wrecked the climate. Famine, poverty, and disease are widespread.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes this depressing reality by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS, a sprawling virtual utopia where you can be anything you want to be, where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets. And like most of humanity, Wade is obsessed by the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this alternate reality: OASIS founder James Halliday, who dies with no heir, has promised that control of the OASIS - and his massive fortune - will go to the person who can solve the riddles he has left scattered throughout his creation.

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that the riddles are based in the culture of the late twentieth century. And then Wade stumbles onto the key to the first puzzle.

Suddenly, he finds himself pitted against thousands of competitors in a desperate race to claim the ultimate prize, a chase that soon takes on terrifying real-world dimensions - and that will leave both Wade and his world profoundly changed.

I've been writing for years! I used to write all fanfiction, but I'm planning some novels right now...fanfiction is still fun, I'm just uninspired :P

I also used to write troll pastas...I should try it again xD

I've tried to write a creepypasta before, but I'm not that good :P

As for my novels...mainly they're fantasy involving animals :lol: and they tend to have some horror scenes

Up to this day, I tried many creative tasks, all motivated by this fandom (which I appreciate a lot). I tried drawing ponies, vector graphics, a little bit of animation, playing piano, scratching my eggs (pun intended biggrin.png), even some tasks I'd never suspect myself of doing, like baking muffins or crocheting :-J (sometimes I feel like an auxiliary Cutie Mark Crusader biggrin.png). And recently I've got myself into writing, too.

I may sound like Twilight in the "Fall weather friends" now, but... I read a lot about story writing, structuring the plot, characterization etc. and I can say I "know the rules" of good writing. I made several comments in the "Your Episode Ideas" thread, and dropped in some ideas here and there, or some advices to people writing fanfics in several topics all around this forum. There's one fanfic partially inspired by some of my ideas on Shining Armor.

I once proposed to make some tutorial about story writing here on these forums, but there wasn't much interest, so I dropped the idea for now. But I realized that I would sound more credible if I'd have some stories under my belt. So I started writing ;-) At present, mostly to my drawer, but maybe I publish some of my texts someday, when they mature enough to be published.

I'm still working on my secret project I mentioned here and there in my threads, that is, a web comic where ponies would teach people Science (which corresponds to Magic in their world), not as in schools, but through an engaging story. I still have some problems with starting it, but I hope I'll overcome them soon.

I don't consider myself self a good writer, but a decent one.

Sometimes "decent" is enough ;-) Keep going. And keep in mind that the story writers of MLP:FiM are normal people, just like us ;-) I find it motivational to watch interviews with them. Sometimes they give some useful advices.

I also try to write fanfiction. The problem with that is that I'm not a native English speaker, but I want to get the biggest possible feedback.

I have the same problem :-/ There are times I have something on tip of my tongue, but I cannot find the proper word. Sometimes I can help myself by seeking through a dictionary. But I opt to keep going with the flow, and save the dictionary search for later when I'm in the zone to not break the flow. I just write the unknown word in Polish (my native language), in curly braces, so I can easily find it later and translate when I find the correct word.

But it's always a good idea to give your work to some native English speakers for eyeballing it and correcting the errors.

When I write in German it feels like I can simply focus on precisely expressing what I see in my mind. I can "literally" play with my language.

Then write in German and translate it afterwards ;-) I do that too. I also do the opposite: sometimes I prefer to write in English when I have to write something in Polish, because when I think in English, I need to focus on the crucial points of what I want to say. I cannot meander with flowery language. And I found that when I do it that way, I write simpler and more clearly.

BTW could I have a business to you? For a long time I'm looking for someone who knows German and English and would be able to check my translation of some German text (scientific article, several pages long). If you feel you can help me somehow, send me a private message and I'll explain the details.

But the most effort I ever put into something is in my novel. I love to at least collect ideas and write the concept, but I simply fail to write more than just a few chapters before I withdraw them again.

Seems like a problem with the lack of structure to me. I had the same problem before I started to learn about storytelling and plot structure. Creativity is an important part of writing, it bursts out ideas and free associations. But as Ernest Hemingway once said, "Write drunk, edit sober". When you have all these ideas already, now it's time for your left brain to mash them up into something edible. It needs a spine of the plot structure. And plotting is of course easier when you know where you're going. That is, you have this exceptional advantage upon the reader: you can know the ending upfront. Make use of it ;-)

Edited by SasQ