Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is wrong with Twilight getting a boyfriend?

FruitRiver

Everyone seems to be against the idea of Flash Sentry and Twilight being boyfriend and girlfriend. I don't get the big deal. I mean I know Twilight doesn't seem the girl friendy type but its not like they have to be all lovey dovey and kiss or anything. They could just include Flash in some of the things they do, and Flash would be their friend. Or they could be friends but secretly have a crush on each other?
They've handled everything people were scared about before, and everytime theres something that people think will "RUIN THE SHOW!" never did. So if they want Twilight to get a boyfriend, thats perfectly fine with me.

• Brohoof 3

Meh, having a mane 6 character getting a boyfriend/girlfriend wouldn't really bother me that much. They're bound to eventually get a love interest. 

I dint have a problem with it but it might take away from the premise of the show itself less about all 6 of them and more about twilight and flash sentry just a opinion though i may be wrong

• Brohoof 2

I wouldn't mind something like that happening! :) I think it would be a cool twist if one of the Mane Six had a little crush or something. It doesn't have to be Twilight, it could be any of them. :D

Flash Sentry apparently won't be in season 4, but Meghan could be lying. xD

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I wouldn't mind something like that happening! :) I think it would be a cool twist if one of the Mane Six had a little crush or something. It doesn't have to be Twilight, it could be any of them. :D

Flash Sentry apparently won't be in season 4, but Meghan could be lying. xD

Meghan probably IS lieing. The've lied about almost everything (*cough cough* TWILICORN *cough*)

I can see Rainbow Dash having a really awesome boyfriend that plays sports with her. :D

Edited by Pinkie
  • Brohoof 2

It's not that it would "ruin the show". It's that it's pointless. There's no need for it. Twilight, and the rest of the Mane Six for that matter, do not need romance. The show has only used it for the wedding episode and for laughs in 'Hearts and Hooves Day'. And honestly, that's one of the things I love about the show. And even more importantly, it's one of the things I was very pleased with in the movie. I liked the fact that they barely touched on the romance angle. I was terrified they were actually going to DO something with it. I don't need teen girl romance mucking up the pony show.

• Brohoof 17

(edited)

I'll tell you why most people have a problem with it. The idea that their waifu is being taken by someone else who actually can take her is inconceivable. Absolutely inconceivable! :o

I watched EG and I'll be honest.....there's nothing to really indicate Flash is a Gary Stu. Sure, he could've used more character development but nothing shouts "I have a solution to everything" and his relationship with Twilight could've been worked on. I feel a longer running time would've helped that but there's not a lot you can expect from 1 hour and a bit. Plus, it's not canon, so Twilight and Flash would have to be re-introduced if he is to make another appearance in S5 or later. In which case, I don't mind at all. Romantic relationships can be another side of friendship after all, not to mention love and friendship aren't mutually exclusive.

Edited by Freedan
  • Brohoof 8

They've handled everything people were scared about before, and everytime theres something that people think will "RUIN THE SHOW!" never did. So if they want Twilight to get a boyfriend, thats perfectly fine with me.

Yes yes yes! That's the attitude we need here! That said, I don't really care one way or another on this. There are pros and cons on both sides, so I'll just trust the writers for now.

It's not that it would "ruin the show". It's that it's pointless. There's no need for it. Twilight, and the rest of the Mane Six for that matter, do not need romance.

True, but that argument can be used practically anywhere. There's no need for a sister-like relationship between Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash either, but I'm glad it's there anyway.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

My problem is not necessarily that it would be a bit against the show's premise, but that Flash Sentry was a bland plot device. Perhaps I could like him, if his introduction wasn't so... forced. If they ever, what I doubt, make a big deal out of romances, they should at least give it some time. I mean, Sparity is kinda on the hold ever since the first episode.

If they'd give one of the mane six any love interest, it should be a character who's better developed before they rub shoulders with each other. If Flash Sentry returns, they would have to give him actual development and not let them have infinite awkward blushing scenes. Maybe it would be okay then. An acceptable change, if well executed.

But I think this here is one point we can trust McCarthy with. Hopefully. I hate to be lied to.

Edited by StatesTheOblivious
  • Brohoof 5

There's nothing inherently wrong with the idea itself of Twilight getting a boyfriend, and I personally have never been against it.

First of all, however, we don't have to even worry about Twilight and Flash Sentry; Meghan McCarthy confirmed when "Equestria Girls" was released in theaters on her Twitter that Flash Sentry would not be in Season 4, so there's really no point in speculating what those two would be like together in the first place.

However, since you asked what is so wrong with Flashlight in the first place, I'll throw in my two bits.  As I said before, it's NOT the idea of Twilight having a boyfriend that turns me off to those two; it's Flash Sentry himself.  The guy has no character whatsoever to speak of!  The pony version is onscreen for about 30 seconds, and human Flash Sentry is onscreen for only about 5 minutes.  Almost no reason whatsoever is given for why he and Twilight find each other attractive; they spend most of their time around one another just blushing and barely saying anything, and frankly it makes no sense that Twilight would even find any member of a species she was just introduced to one day ago attractive by her equine standards, so it's actually kinda disturbing that she thinks he's cute when you think about it.  But again, all that aside, the biggest flaw about Flash is that he's completely generic and we know absolutely nothing about his character other than apparently he plays guitar and dated Sunset Shimmer, neither of which factors into the plot and certainly wouldn't make any difference with pony Flash Sentry anyway.  Sure he helps Twilight solve a 30 second dilemma with Vice Principal Luna, but as I wrote in my EQG review that's the worst, most pointless subplot ever and should've been easily solvable by a 5 year old, so Flash wasn't even necessary in the first place.

My final consensus; the problem with Flashlight is not because I'm opposed to the idea of Twilight having a boyfriend, nor is that inherently a bad idea in and of itself.  The problem with those two, however, is that that's exactly how Twilight having a boyfriend SHOULD NOT be handled in its execution.  All that there is to the relationship is giggling and blushing without any substance whatsoever to speak of.  If Twilight does ever get a boyfriend, we need to be given a proper introduction to this character and there needs to be some realistic, well-paced development in his and Twilight's relationship before they decide at all to commit to each other.  The same applies to the rest of the Mane 6 should any of them get a boyfriend as well.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

What's wrong with Twilight getting a boyfriend? One word: Waifu.

Some bronies live in a fantasy world where they believe they can get with a cartoon pony so long as they are canonically single. The introduction of a love interest would somewhat ruin the illusion for them.

I can't really comment on Flash Gordon since I haven't seen EG.

EDIT: Flash Gordon? Flash Sentry, I mean. :muffins:

Edited by Spess
  • Brohoof 9

True, but that argument can be used practically anywhere. There's no need for a sister-like relationship between Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash either, but I'm glad it's there anyway.

That's a fair point. I will say this though. That relationship enriches the characters of Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash in a way that serves the show's premise of the magic of friendship. I personally don't see that happening with Flash and Twi. And honestly, Flash was a forgettable character in the movie. The only thing he did of any relevance was show Luna the photos. Which anyone could have done. So I'm perfectly happy with Meghan sticking with having nothing from the movie carry over. I'm happy with having all the Mane Six single.

I could of course be wrong. That's always a solid possibility. :D

• Brohoof 2

It's not that it would "ruin the show". It's that it's pointless. There's no need for it. Twilight, and the rest of the Mane Six for that matter, do not need romance. The show has only used it for the wedding episode and for laughs in 'Hearts and Hooves Day'. And honestly, that's one of the things I love about the show. And even more importantly, it's one of the things I was very pleased with in the movie. I liked the fact that they barely touched on the romance angle. I was terrified they were actually going to DO something with it. I don't need teen girl romance mucking up the pony show.

But it wouldn't be generic teen romance. And I'm seriously doubting Flash Sentry is a Gary Stu. He's probably a pretty cool guy, he just didn't get enough time to show his personality. (I would love if he was secretly geeky, like Twi) Like someone else said, romance is a form of friendship. They don't have to be kissing, they can just be friends but like each other too. And you might as well say theres no point if Twilight having a brother either, but the need for it is the same. It adds another great character for the show, new story ideas, and character developement. There is just as much a point for it as everything else in the show.

• Brohoof 3

As StatesTheOblivious and BatBrony pointed out, I can see why people would have a problem with Flash Sentry being Twilight's bf given that he wasn't given a great deal of time to develop and if they do bring him back in later seasons, they'll give him more chances to develop. I trust the writers actually know how to handle these sorts of relationships in the actual series. Like I said, a one hour movie where romance isn't even the primary focus of the plot isn't going to spend a great deal of time on it in the first place. Yes, Flash Sentry was therefore a plot device more than anything, but I wonder why people think he's bland and uninteresting despite that. 5 minutes of screentime isn't a lot of room to judge him on.

• Brohoof 4

But it wouldn't be generic teen romance. And I'm seriously doubting Flash Sentry is a Gary Stu. He's probably a pretty cool guy, he just didn't get enough time to show his personality. (I would love if he was secretly geeky, like Twi) Like someone else said, romance is a form of friendship. They don't have to be kissing, they can just be friends but like each other too. And you might as well say theres no point if Twilight having a brother either, but the need for it is the same. It adds another great character for the show, new story ideas, and character developement. There is just as much a point for it as everything else in the show.

But having a new character doesn't mean they need to have a 'relationship'. I have zero problem with Flash being in the show. Just make them be friends. Why have the romance angle?

It's just my opinion, and I certainly don't think poorly of people who don't share it. I just don't see the reason to have Twilight in a relationship. I think it would overcomplicate things. But again, that's just me.

• Brohoof 1

But having a new character doesn't mean they need to have a 'relationship'. I have zero problem with Flash being in the show. Just make them be friends. Why have the romance angle?

Why not have the romance angle? Really, why not? It didn't ruin the show, and it really didn't ruin the movie. Think about it. How much of a difference did it make that Flash was Twilight's crush? None. That's why I really don't see how him being her crush should rustle anyone's jimmies except maybe the waifu angle.

• Brohoof 2

Why not have the romance angle? Really, why not? It didn't ruin the show, and it really didn't ruin the movie. Think about it. How much of a difference did it make that Flash was Twilight's crush? None. That's why I really don't see how him being her crush should rustle anyone's jimmies except maybe the waifu angle.

Well I certainly agree with you on it not making a difference in the movie...I dunno, I just don't think it's needed, so I personally would rather not have it at all. That's just me, though.

And the waifu angle CREEPS ME THE HECK OUT.

• Brohoof 2

Oh, and for all saying he's a Gary Stu, we have not seen enough of him to say that. Do you think a movie that isn't supposed to be about romance is going to stuff a whole episodes worth of Flash's flaws or something? I hate the fact that if a character thats only been in one episode doesn't show a flaw, then people jump on the Mary Su/Gary Stu. I mean, come on. You aren't going to see their flaws unless they are a main character, or they have more show time/ an episode about them. Thats why I don't think Cadence or Celestia are Mary Su.

• Brohoof 2

One argument I have seen pop up from time to time is the argument that it would somehow be out of character for Twilight to get a boyfriend because she is an introverted slightly nerdy bookworm which really dosen't make any sense if you think about it. There are several people in real life that have similar characteristics that have boyfriends/girlfriends or even husbands/wives so what makes Twilight that much different from them other than her being the waifu of countless fanboys? I would be fine with her having one so long as they handled it well, alot of people think Flash is a bit bland but they didn't really have much time to properly flesh him out and who says it even has to actually be him? Not every crush results in a lasting relationship so there is potentially a good lesson there if Twilight and Flash were to get into a relationship but it didn't work out. Even DBZ had some of its main character in romantic relationships but it didn't detract from the show at all and was most of the time more implied than explicitly stated.

• Brohoof 6

One argument I have seen pop up from time to time is the argument that it would somehow be out of character for Twilight to get a boyfriend because she is an introverted slightly nerdy bookworm which really dosen't make any sense if you think about it. There are several people in real life that have similar characteristics that have boyfriends/girlfriends or even husbands/wives so what makes Twilight that much different from them other than her being the waifu of countless fanboys?

I agree. It doesn't matter if your girly or want a boyfriend. Anyone can have a girl friend/boy friend.

The only things I don't like about Flashlight is that Flash needs to have more in common with Twilight, and they should be friends first. She should have gotten to know him more before she started to like him. And he should be nerdy like her, so they have something in common. I don't agree with "opposites attract." I still think if they develop Flash more then we might see different sides of him!

• Brohoof 1

Oh, there's nothing wrong with any of the Mane Six having a romantic relationship as long as its done well and subtly.

I just don't like FlashLight. It was not done well and subtly, it was bland and cliche.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

What is wrong with Twilight getting a boyfriend?

THAT HER BOYFRIEND IS NOT A GIRLFRIEND I don't see why not. I mean, relationships have been discussed in the show before and it's always a good topic to work on when you temporarily run out of ideas. Besides being time to add a main male character to the show. I need my dose of awesome male ponies, which do seem to lack a lot on the show.

Also, if we're considering Flash Sentry to be Twilight's waifu boyfriend, then expect an episode of his mental breakdown, just like all the other ones. Since he's a guard, they can probably work on that... Maybe...

Edited by caramba2654
  • Brohoof 1

Oh, there's nothing wrong with any of the Mane Six having a romantic relationship as long as its done well and subtly.

I just don't like FlashLight. It was not done well and subtly, it was bland and cliche.

I have to agree. I when I saw that I was thinking "where haven't I seen this before." The way he was introduced was very cliche. 

I think people don't like it is because, besides the cliche way it was introduced, people are scared the love interest will take away from the show. There are several other reasons, but these two seem to be the most common.

• Brohoof 1