Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My humble opinion on the future of bronyism

Rockymoo

Today I shall give my honest theory on how the fanbase will hold up by comparing it to another.

Pokémon.  You heard me right. Pocket Monsters.

If you've spent any considerable time on the interwebz, you've probably noticed how many memes, fan works, and praise in general have popped up featuring the late 90s/early 2000s Pokémon craze. No, not the series as it is now, but how it was during the Indigo League, Orange Islands, and for many but not all, Johto Journeys. The character design/art style was clever as well as the writing, and it was just honest to goodness quality stuff, and that's just the show. There are countless everyday references to Blue, Red, and Yellow versions, most notably in the form of creepypasta.

Now, if you've noticed, that period of the franchise is a little past a decade over with, going on 15 years. But not in the hearts of the fans.

Does any of this sound familiar?

In my opinion, MLP:FiM is vastly similar to that fanbase. The classic days of Pokémon are held in high regard not just from nostalgia, but because they were legitimately great.

Which MLP happens to be just as fantastic, if not moreso.

Both of these series taught us important lessons, and in the case of bronyism, changed our life and how we treat others for the better. Something that deep isn't going to just evaporate even if the show comes to its end. This fanbase is special, and I'm sure a lot of you agree. I've noticed a lot of bronies are unsure of the fandom's future, but if you ask me, it's here to stay. And that makes me more than happy.

So there you have it. Feel free to post your thoughts. *hops off soapbox*

• Brohoof 2

*Hops on soapbox*

Wait...

*Hops off*

I have a feeling this topic will be folded into that bigger topic about the future of Bronyism, but...

I do agree with you completely. I'm not much of a Pokemon fan, but the comparison is definitely apt. And heck, even if the golden age of My Little Pony, as one could call, might come to an end, there's always fan works and future generations to consider. Hasbro definitely won't end with this generation, especially considering how popular the brand is.

But ignoring that part of it, it will definitely live on in our hearts and minds...

And in the case of some Bronies, in their pants too.

• Brohoof 1

If FiM is going to be anything like the Pokemon anime, I should be at least a little concerned. What you're saying is, while it will remain great for a few more years, it will then start slowly declining in quality until we get the equivilent of the current season of Pokemon. Celestia have mercy on our souls.

• Brohoof 1

If FiM is going to be anything like the Pokemon anime, I should be at least a little concerned. What you're saying is, while it will remain great for a few more years, it will then start slowly declining in quality until we get the equivilent of the current season of Pokemon. Celestia have mercy on our souls.

I should've elaborated on that a little further.

I'm not saying FiM will sell out and become garbage.

Or at least I pray to Celestia that it won't.

I should've elaborated on that a little further.

I'm not saying FiM will sell out and become garbage.

Or at least I pray to Celestia that it won't.

When we start seeing Twilight trade out her friends for new groups of friends and undergo a design re-haul that makes her look silly, then we should be concerned.

• Brohoof 3

When we start seeing Twilight trade out her friends for new groups of friends and undergo a design re-haul that makes her look silly, then we should be concerned.

Redesigns were the nail in the show's coffin as far as I'm concerned. And ditching perfectly good characters(or butching their personalities *cough*Brock*cough*)

• Brohoof 1

If you are talking about the show than I think you need to take your nostalgia glasses because the only thing they did right was teach children how to play their games. I'm recently watch some of the old pokemon stuff and man does it hurt to watch. I was super into it as a kid, believe me I was a part of the craze and I still love the games. I think MLP will in time stand as a relic or become a bygone novelty. Go the pony conventions while you can.

You know what I find funny? These shows...are actually reversed in a way. Pokemon started out awesome, and...welp...yeah. My little pony? Remember generation 1? Not the best, da da, da da, da da, generation 4? Now it's awesome®.....or something like that.

*Jumps off previously mentioned soapbox*

• Brohoof 3

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

In the near future, Bronyism certainly will die out, just as a lot of other fandoms did before, starting then, when no further official material like episodes, books and plastic toys are going to be released. Only a selected few fandoms of media franchises are able to exist longer than one, two decades, only those with new material continuing to be released. 

When I was in elementary school, everyone was collecting "Yu-Gi-Oh!" trading cards (except for me, I didn't vast my money on that), now, nobody is talking about it anymore (in Germany, at last).

Fandoms come and go, just like empires.

• Brohoof 2

Most of my friends have also liked Pokemon like me, since they were little kids (like me also). I love Pokemon! The anime nowadays kind of sucks and I don't collect cards. The games are good still. When I go to anime cons, I'm surprised that SO many people still play Pokemon. It's awesome, really!

My little pony has been around for a while, since what the 80's? G4 (which is newer obviously) spawned bronies. One day, sadly, all wonderful things must come to an end. The great thing about bronies is that we are SO freaking similar to furries. The furry fandom is based off of a show, or anything, so I have the hope that it lasts long. I can easily see a lot of bronies becoming furries when the whole brony thing sadly dies off in the future, I know I will. 

• 8 years later...
On 2013-08-05 at 4:06 PM, Rockymoo said:

Today I shall give my honest theory on how the fanbase will hold up by comparing it to another.

Pokémon.  You heard me right. Pocket Monsters.

If you've spent any considerable time on the interwebz, you've probably noticed how many memes, fan works, and praise in general have popped up featuring the late 90s/early 2000s Pokémon craze. No, not the series as it is now, but how it was during the Indigo League, Orange Islands, and for many but not all, Johto Journeys. The character design/art style was clever as well as the writing, and it was just honest to goodness quality stuff, and that's just the show. There are countless everyday references to Blue, Red, and Yellow versions, most notably in the form of creepypasta.

Now, if you've noticed, that period of the franchise is a little past a decade over with, going on 15 years. But not in the hearts of the fans.

Does any of this sound familiar?

In my opinion, MLP:FiM is vastly similar to that fanbase. The classic days of Pokémon are held in high regard not just from nostalgia, but because they were legitimately great.

Which MLP happens to be just as fantastic, if not moreso.

Both of these series taught us important lessons, and in the case of bronyism, changed our life and how we treat others for the better. Something that deep isn't going to just evaporate even if the show comes to its end. This fanbase is special, and I'm sure a lot of you agree. I've noticed a lot of bronies are unsure of the fandom's future, but if you ask me, it's here to stay. And that makes me more than happy.

So there you have it. Feel free to post your thoughts. *hops off soapbox*

I think you are correct. Like Pokemon, there are different versions of MLP, except MLP didn't really have a huge adult following until FIM. There will probably be fans of later generations also.