Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Bands/Singers You Like That Get A Lot Of Hate?

Moonlight

They're not necessarily bands/singers but they are artists so...

Skrillex seems to get a lot of hate for no good reason. I hear comments about how he's unoriginal (which make no sense cause he's got a pretty unique sound) and how his music just generally sucks without giving any reason as to why they think this besides generic comments.

He does seem like a popular target for bandwagon hate for some reason and that makes me upset.

Deadmau5 seems to get some flak on the internet as he can be a little "jerkish" sometimes but a lot of people just seem to take his comments and opinions to heart and don't seem to notice that he's just messing around for fun most of the time.

I will admit though he does say some stupid things sometimes.

Hell, i've even seen a fair amount of hate on Daft Punk over the internet over the past few months.

Edited by Trickiert

Slipknot 

HIM

Citadel of Filth

Marilyn Manson

[insert every brony musician/producers I like]

[insert every Industech/Industrial Rave band I like]

[insert every Black Metal-Shoegaze band I like]

I'd stick Emilie Autumn in there as well, but to be honest... I kinda have some beef with here as well.  :P

• Brohoof 1

Okay... Here I go...

Black Veil Brides - Not Going to Lie, I love Black Veil Brides, and I have for a while, and I've seen they've gotten quite the bit of hate, which I find unnecessary they're a great group, and really, I find nothing wrong with their music, I love it.

Bring Me The Horizon - Love the band, Absolutely fucking love them, but I've seen a bit of hate around the place, I mean, Really? They're Just amazing in my eyes, Maybe they're not classic but they're fucking amazing at what Genre they are.

Sleeping With Sirens - I've seen Sleeping With Sirens with the most hate, they may not be the best around, Kellins High Pitched Voice doesn't do it, but really, they aren't all bad, I have quite the few albums of theirs on my Phone.

Green Day - Green Day... Ahh, Green Day, Always loved Green Day just amazing, I don't care what anyone says about them, they are just Memories to me, and all there songs hold meaning to me, I just love them

Tyler, The Creator - I see Tyler gets quite the hate, as he's Judged as a Satan Worshipper and shit, when he isn't he just speaks the dark thoughts that go through people's heads, and when it's spoken, people just don't like it, I personally love all his music, they're deep, and just, I can get Deep inside his songs, I don't know why, I just seem to love them.

Linkin Parkgoing to be honest, their new shit is just dead awful, but old, is just classic, I mean wow, how can you hate their old stuff, new is just quite awful...

~Sapphie

I don't mind early Nickelback, Linkin Park, and Green Day. I can't really speak for them in recent years, as pretty much everything I listen to from them is from 2004 or before.

I used to really hate Green Day, I do have to add, but they grew on me.

Coldplay - I find a lot of people are like "omfg muse is zo much betr then culdplai" but they have quite different styles of music and I don't think you can really compare the two. It's not like you have to like one or the other. Many people seem to think you can like only one foreign band at a time. (For the record, I dislike Muse, but that's not because of Coldplay). I think that (though people say their songs are redundant) they have a pretty unique sounds - it's easy to pick out a Coldplay song from the rest. I've been listening to them since I was seven, so I like them a lot, LOL.

The Velvet Underground - I don't care how much hate they get, TVU were amazing and probably more influential behind the scenes than the Beatles (then again, I don't like them). Okay, yeah, they were kinda odd, but they have such great music.

Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker (U.S.S) - Crappy Canadian pop/electronic band, that is all.

Any of the other bands I listen to - Fitz and the Tantrums, Sleepy Kitty, Bastille, Metric (well, not so much because of Scott Pilgrim), YUCK, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Mother Mother, Twin Forks, Lykke Li, Lorde, Grieves, Willy Moon, Monster Rally...all passed off as "hipster s*it" until it gets "popular", when all of a sudden everyone that bashed me for listening loves it. (That is literally exactly what happened when I started listening to the Lumineers a few months before their songs exploded into popularity. AND the same with Tyler the Creator/Odd Future [not a fan of them anyways] and Bon Iver). I don't care how popular it is so as long as I like it. 

Edited by PinkieDaShy

I absolutely LOVE Muse, but I keep meeting a bunch of people that claim Muse are sell outs, or that their music is too pretentious or 'far out' etc. But Muse are generally well respected in the industry. 

I also love Metallica, but lately they've been getting some hate with people saying that they're too old or repetitive, or hog the headliner slot at Sonisphere festival every year.

There are a lot of other much more obscure artists that don't get a lot of attention or exposure, but I like their music. Usually when I listen to them, people with me comment that I'm a hipster, or the music I'm listening to is too obscure for them. 

almost everything I like gets hated a lot by mainstream people I like  metal, hard rock and such mostly but no matter what band it is it always get a lot of hate. Same with dubstep lots of people hate it and mean it is not music and on.  :catface:

I will echo on older Nickelback. Their newer stuff has become repetitive, but their older albums had some great gems.

NEW Linkin Park. I like both their new and old stuff. They are different sounds, but they do both very well.

• Brohoof 1

Disturbed gets a lot of really weird and misplaced hate, particularly their new stuff. I don't understand it in the least how people can hate their new stuff so much and like their old stuff. They only got better with time and Asylum and Lost Children are easily their best albums. (Though sometimes I flipflop over to Ten Thousand Fists as a favorite. :P )

Then there's a lot of bands that I like but everyone else treats with an extreme sense of apathy, even among metalheads. Bands like Skeletonwitch and Scar Symmetry.

This is my favorite Skeletonwitch song and easily one of my top five songs of all time but every time I share no one seems to care. It makes me sadface. :'(

Dat ending solo.

Lil wayne gets alot of hate i know he is cocky and out of touch with the world but i hate when people say he cant rap. He's not the best rapper in the world but his style is clever and in a way Sublime, there is not a rapper similar to him. Im not saying buy his music but definitely download tha carter 2 and 3 and tell me he cant rap.

I don't care what anyone says ABBA are fantastic. Deal with it.

Bands like Skeletonwitch and Scar Symmetry

Skeletonwitch are decent, I have one of their albums in my iPod. Scar Symmetry are really meh but I haven't met anybody who dislikes them.

The Velvet Underground

Why would anyone hate The Velvet underground?

alright I'm just gonna come out and say it:

Billy Joel had some really fucking awesome songs.

sure nowadays his music is basically a walking punchline, a audio cue to indicate that something's hopelessly outdated

but fuck it, Downeaster Alexa is a great song, Leningrad is a great song, Goodnight Saigon is a fantastic song, hell even his corny lovey dovey shit can be incredibly beautiful, like She's Got A Way and And So It Goes.

after a while you realize ANY song of his is actually pretty good if you really listen to it

the guy's really underrated is what I'm trying to say

• Brohoof 1

Paul McCartney seems to get some hate, because people claim he only writes meaningless love songs. 1. He writes so much more than that and 2. What's wrong with trying to fill the world with silly love songs? A lot of people hate his post-Beatles band, Wings, too, which I don't get. He may not get that much hate, but he's really the only one I can think of that fits this bill.

I like Coldplay and Adele, but I don't wanna repeat others.

Also, it's a song, not an artist, but I like the infamous Revolution 9.

Also...I, uh, like a few Lady Gaga songs...

Really?! Paul McCartney? I would kill to see that guy perform live in person. I love him and The Beatles. ;.; As for Revolution 9, I just can't wrap my head around that song. It creeps me out so much. When I download The White Album on my iPod, I just can't include that one on my playlist.

Edited by Dismajo

Asylum and Lost Children are easily their best albums

Lol no...those are their worst albums. Their best albums are Ten Thousand Fists, Indestructible, The Sickness, and Believe.

Anyway, some bands I listen to seem to get very undeserved hate. Usually for really stupid reasons.

• Brohoof 1

Wow, I'm surprised to see so many Nickelback supporters in here. I thought I'd be alone.  :lol:

I'm also a fan of the 80s hair bands, so I could put about half of the bands on my CD shelf in here. Poison, Warrant, Ratt, Skid Row, Winger, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake... they were all slammed as being more about image than music, but that never held water for me because I heard all of them before I saw any of them. I love the music, and I truly don't get the hate. Even in the bad spots, it's mostly harmless.

I've also never understood why those bands get criticized so much while a band like, say, Guns N Roses doesn't. They came along at the same time, the style of music is very similar in many ways ("Appetite for Destruction" has a slightly rougher/harder edge to it, but the appeal and format is clearly similar), and most of those bands had vocalists that were far superior to Axl Rose.

DISCLAIMER: Don't get me wrong, I love me some GNR. Three of their albums are on my shelf, they're in my top 15 favorite bands, and Paradise City is my #2 favorite song ever. But, Sweet Child O Mine aside, Axl Rose is just not a very good singer.

• Brohoof 1

Insane Clown Posse. I ain't a massive juggalo, but I actually happen to think that they're pretty good. Admittedly, they can't rap, and their lyrics are very mediocre, but they're creative and funny, almost thought-provoking at times, with their music. The lead guy, Violent J, is a good story teller. I own two of their albums.

• Brohoof 1

My Chemical Romance is my favourite band and has been since I was like 9 and they have always recieved a load of hate because they are a 'suicide cult' and only promote depression when that is complete fucking bullshit! My Chem are one of the few reasons I haven't killed myself yet and even thought they have now broken up they will remain a large part of me and I will never forget what they stood for and how important they are in my life.

• Brohoof 2

Hollywood Undead,

I've been a fan for about two years so far, seen them live two times, and met them. They get hate and comparisons for "looking like Slipknot" or for Danny(Usually coming from Deuce fans/S9ldiers, I love them both. But there are quite a lot of them who hate Danny.). It's been 3 years since that all occurred and it stills goes on a whole lot today.

• Brohoof 1

Nickelback - I get why some people don't like them, just not why people call them "the worst musicians ever". They do sound a lot like Creed and Hinder, so they're not the most original kids on the block, but that doesn't mean their stuff is bad.

I haven't heard all of their music, but the stuff that comes on the radio is pretty good (Hero, Rockstar, Photograph, Gotta be Somebody...). To me, they're an average band with a far above average hatedom.

OneRepublic - Among my circle of friends, I am the only one who likes them. Critics also don't have a history of being too kind to them, and I have no idea why. Then again, music critics are pretty much nothing but a bad joke nowadays, but that's a topic for another day.

They're a very experimental band, so their songs don't typically sound a lot alike, and nine times out of ten, they just sound incredible. They always know how to make beats that stick in your mind, and their lyrics can tell a variety of stories if you're the creative type. Their stuff always stands out from everything else on the radio, whether because it's a unique take on alternative rock/pop, or just because it's so freakin' good.

Katy Perry - I didn't like "I kissed a girl" or "Wide Awake", but everything inbetween those two points was pretty damn good. Yet, for some reason, she's become the poster girl for what's wrong with modern pop. This wouldn't annoy me so much, but most of the time, the only reason anyone gives is that she likes to dress provocatively. That point isn't even related to the argument.

While I agree that there are huge problems with today's music, artists like Katy Perry and Lady Gaga (or whomever it is that writes their songs) are at least managing to stay afloat while everything else crashes down around them.

• Brohoof 1

I un-ironically listen to Rebecca Black and think she is actually a decent singer for her age. I also love Cradle of Filth, a band that seems to be considered "lame and pussy" by Metal elitists and "screamy and annoying" by the mainstream. Also Katy Perry.

I also like Limp Bizkit, but in that case it's "so bad it's good" due to Fred Durst's amazingly bad lyrics and singing voice (the instrumental work in their songs is still really good though) =P

Edited by Nightmare Lyre
  • Brohoof 1

Underoath get a lot of hate from elitists, but I actually enjoy their music, and I think that they're a great Hardcore band, they were actually the hardest band for me to get into, but I eventually got into their music.

• Brohoof 1

• 7 years later...

Westlife most definitely. They are the band that got me into music. I don’t like it when they get mocked by the public as a result. I might be biased because of that and the fact that they’re Irish like me, but I genuinely think they all have amazing voices, they don’t hide behind autotune like most people do and they sound exactly the same live while at the same time, you know they’re not miming. 
I’ve been at four, soon five, of their concerts and one of the members, Nicky Byrne has twice sent me a personal video message. They’re a brilliant man-band and vastly under-appreciated. 

Edited by TomDaBombMLP