Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you ever come close to death?

Onylex

.I was on a cruise a few years ago and I was in the pool. The pool water comes from the ocean so the waves were pretty crazy.

I almost drowned because I never had swimming lessons and I was about 9.

But someone helped me so that was good.

• Brohoof 3

I can think of one, and I don't usually like talking about it. When I was a baby, I suffered a condition called Craniosynostosis, where the bones in the skull fuse to early. I had to undergo an operation to separate them when I was 1.

That isn't the bad part.

The operation went wrong and the surgeons accidentally cut into an artery, and I started to lose blood. A lot of blood.

I had to have a lot of blood pumped into me, at the same time as me losing it. In all, I was told I lost in total about 8 or so pints of blood. Considering adults usually have on average about 13 or so pints.

If it wasn't for the generosity of others or the skill of the surgeons, I would be dead. 

Edited by Sly Raritas
  • Brohoof 1

I've had three. 

When I was very young we were visiting our neighbors house to go swimming. After we all got out I stayed in, my sister saw me drowning and I was told she pulled me out by my hair.

Our church when I was younger had a gym. All the young kids were in the gym while all the adult were in a meeting. I had a jump rope and was throwing it around and whipping stuff with it when it got stuck. I kept pulling it to try and free it, but instead of freeing the jump rope it freed the scaffolding that it was caught on. It fell and struck my left femur and I had to be taken to the hospital. The thing is, if it would have struck my waist around an inch higher I would have died. 

Third, I almost fell in a high river.

• Brohoof 1

I don't recall any time I almost died, but I did come close to never being born. 

First of all, I was an unplanned pregnancy, so there could've been any number of factors that could've interfered with that (like my mother seeing a goose and suddenly remembering that she forgot to take her birth control pill or something). In addition to at least three times where she almost died before I was born. The first time was when she was struck by a car when she was a child, another when she had a reaction to some medicine that her doctors gave her during a surgery, and the third time when she had a serious complication while giving birth to my older brother.

And before all that, my grandmother was almost killed in a car accident while she was pregnant with my mother. The fact that the accident didn't cause her to miscarry was a miracle in and of itself.

But no, despite God's efforts, I'm still alive and kicking and here on the forums to treat you all to vaguely homoerotic innuendoes. :3

• Brohoof 2

I've had a million near death experiences if you count cars and other small things but I've had 2 major ones.

The first one I did actually die from, though only for 3 minutes. I was 6 or 7 and I was playing some kind of game with a boy who was older than me. Somewhere during our game he got really angry and started to choke me. He held me long enough that I died, but somehow I survived but now my brain suffers from that lack of oxygen and everyday I have to live with my brain not working as well as it should be.

The second time I think I was 8. I had some serious bullying at my school, I don't know why everyone hated me. I was asking some older kids who I thought I could play with because no one would in my year, I thought they would take pity on me and would play with me, because they were older students and they were meant to be role models. Instead they bashed me up, everyone watched because it happened in the schoolyard, they did some serious damage. They broke a couple of ribs, did something to my lungs and heart and my throat collapsed when I escaped and headed to the head office.The teachers were so stupid, they could see that I couldn't breathe and was seriously injured and they didn't even call an ambulance. They called my mum instead and when I waited for her, laying on the ground trying to breathe, I was screaming in my head for them to save me. When mum arrived she called an ambulance and I got to hospital. The doctors and nurses there saved my life, though now I have permanent damage to my heart and lungs.

• Brohoof 3

I was 6 or 7 and I was playing some kind of game with a boy who was older than me.

I had some serious bullying at my school

The fuck, man?! I really want to break the legs and arms of those assholes with my own hands now! That's crazy! Look at the permanent wounds you got. You should at least take them to the court or something. Those people are sick.

Now, for the sake of being on topic, I will share some. I fear nothing but death, really, so this topic is very sensitive to me.

When I was young, younger than I am now, I chased a bus which actually had already crossed an intersection. When I was crossing, the traffic lamp went red and cars from the other way started going. I don't know what I was thinking, but I was running like crazy chasing that bus without paying any attention to the road. All I remembered was a car stopping just a meter from me and the bus driver got mad at my stupidity and telling me not to do such things again.

The other event was very quick. Our gas stove almost exploded. My mother was cooking and suddenly yelled ordering everyone in the house to get out. I didn't know what happened and just ran outside as fast as I could, but my mom quickly told my neighbour and he put down the fire before everything went worse. I was told that the fire spread very quickly. I felt very useless that day.

I got a dengue fever, or whatever that fever caused by mosquito is called, last February. I remember my nose bleeding like crazy for no reason whatsoever. I recovered extraordinarily quickly though. Other took weeks to recover, but I just took a week for the whole stage. Thanks to my martial art practice.

A mountain erupted, nah, that wasn't a big problem. A strong earthquake, which was pretty dangerous. Good thing it happened in the morning. Many events actually. Stuck my head here and there, got 'cursed' (this is a traditional land where dark magic still exists), and when I was young I fell from... something that... I woke up with a scar on my forehead. It's still here now. If it were worse, I would have looked like Harry Potter.

I still have pieces of memories of... but I can't remember them all. I've made a serious attempt to forget them all. Sorry. I've been constantly thinking about death lately, and it makes me very scared. Seriously, get me a real life ghost, wraith or even Nicolas Cage, but not death.

• Brohoof 1

I nearly died several times (haven't we all) but the most vivid time was when I nearly fell off a cliff.

So, uh, we were visiting some park in Maine, and there was this really rocky area that was a top of a cliff leading over the bay of Fundy. we decide "Oh let's have a picnic here" and we set it up. A water bottle rolled away and I chased it. The bottle rolled OFF THE CLIFF and I stopped myself just in time. My toes were right over the precipice and I looked down into the rushing water and sharp rocks. Somehow, I regained my balance and walked backwards to safety.

And so now I'm here. Thank/Curse the forces that saved me XD

• Brohoof 1

Well I did die once, and I came close to dying once too.

The time I did die, I Od'd they had to shock my ass back to life, truth be told when I was dead there was no light... no sound, noting it was odd only for a sec then I came back, coming back hurt... a lot....

The time I most die I got hit by a truck, it knocked me right out, but when I was coming to I could hear two guys talking, still don't know what they said but when I came to I was spiting up blood and my cheat hurt really bad...

Edited by xPrincess Celestiax
  • Brohoof 1

Well, once me and my friends were crossing a very active street (Stupid, I know), and I was the last across. Apparently, in the far right lane, closest to the side we were going to, I missed getting hit by a couple of inches. I actually wasn't aware of this until after I got across and my friends told me.

So, yeah, not that bad, but if I was a bit slower...

• Brohoof 1

Yup. Overdose.

I was going through a rough time way back when so I took about a handful of Concerta over the course of a few hours.

Yeah, I was really... uh... let's just say I had to have my stomach pumped and had to stay in the hospital for a few days until it was out of my system.

My parents heard me getting sick after I took them and immediately drove me to the hospital, so if it wasn't for that, I may have kicked the bucket.

• Brohoof 1

I had an unknown stomach disease or some trouble with my stomach around the age of 4-5, couldn't digest anything so I almost died of malnutrition, that and I kept coughing up blood at random moments up until a point I got severe anemia. Doctors pumped me full of morphine and other heavy drugs and it seemed to have fixed the problem for some reason. Never had any trouble since then.

• Brohoof 1

I have near misses in my car often but I don't think that qualifies as near death experience. I have been nearly drowned by other kids when I was younger but the near death that stands out for me whas when I was around 6 and a bolt of lightning struck within a couple feet of me. I shouted at my mom "Did you see that?!" with so much excitement but of course she didn't. I think that is when I abandoned my fear of death and realized it was inevitable. Not trying to be a downer when I say it's inevitable, just that I understand a certain balance in life. Life and death, black and white. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. Each has a place in the world.

• Brohoof 1

I almost died of exhaustion and dehydration. I once was on my bike, with a friend, going to his house, when all of a sudden, everything started getting brighter. My head hurt so bad. I couldn't see anything. I quickly reached for my phone and called my Dad. I said that something happened and I am going home. I later explained.

• Brohoof 1

I had one when i was very young. We were on holiday in Turkey (i think?). We were in a swimming pool and i couldn't swim yet, so i had arm bands to make me float. At least i thought i had... Apparently i forgot to put them on and i only noticed while on the slide going into the water.

I kept jumping up to get small moments of air, and some random woman saved me. At first i thought it was my sister, but i was told that it was not. It's all blurry to me now.

Also, how do you ponies like my new sig that i made myself?

• Brohoof 1

I may as well share another one, when I was around 15, I lived in a small village, my friend and I went walking around and found a raft in a stream, we had the genius idea of floating down the stream to the lake on it, the stream was only around 3ft deep so we didn't think it dangerous. Less than a minute into our little voyage, one of the drums beneath the raft slipped out and I fell into the stream, turns out that while the water was only 3ft deep, the mud at the bottom wasn't solid and I sank straight into it, unable to move at all, my friend managed to jump off the raft to land and pull me out. If he hadn't been there, or if he had fallen in too, I would be dead.

• Brohoof 1

Death? Not really. Severe injury? Oh yeah. 

Last time was during one of my daily trips to college. While crossing a street, some mad biker came in quite fast on red lights and almost runs me over.

Then before that, I've witnessed a fair number of shootings from not very safe places (ie inside my car, bout 10 feet from the cops getting shot at), I've almost fallen on the underground's rails due to some dumbarse pushing me, and I had a few close calls with muskets and reenactment. 

In fact, I got shot with an empty paper cartridge on the shoulder once. Thank god it was just paper and not a bullet or ramrod.

• Brohoof 1

In 2003, I fell into my neighbor's driveway on a bike and had to go through five doctors before I could be treated because none of the doctors in the county in the state I live in conveniently had much experience with treating someone with biking injuries like mine (namely the gash underneath my nose) and I had to go out-of-state for treatment. Also, when I woke up, part of the wrecked bike was over one of my legs, and since I was so weak from the impact I had to struggle to free myself.

I can still see myself falling into the driveway, feel the blood gushing through the hundreds of open wounds on my arms and legs, and see myself at the hospital being taken to the operation room time to time... the "see myself falling into the driveway" part is helped by me being able to see exactly where I hit the ground and where I woke up from my desk.

• Brohoof 1

When I was stationed in Iraq I was almost blown up several times and I've been shot at several times.  The first time is the worst. Time seems to slow down and everything is chaotic. After that, it's still scary but becomes more routine.  I was also very sickly as a child and was in the hospital quite often.

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

i was only 8 when my Dad and I had to go through a storm in the middle of the sea.

we went back to my Dad's village and it required a trip by a bigger boat, and then transfer to another smaller boat (a sampan to be exact) in the middle of the sea. (as the depths of the water was drastically different) such journey would take us more or less 2 hours.

we went in the morning.

later in the evening, my Dad and I had to go back to town.

so, all was smooth sailing until after we transfered from the sampan into the boat.

as we were about an hour from shore, a storm was rolling in.

the man driving (is that the right word?) was struggling to control the boat as the waves rocked our boat.

my Dad, feared for our lives, told me to put on a lifejacket and go into the deck for safety.

being the frightened 8 year old child i was, i did.

we were stranded in the middle of the storm for at least 30 minutes.

according to my Dad, all he could do was pray because the waves were somewhat huge and the sea was so choppy.

if either one of us were to fall into the water, there was no hope of survival.

actually, my Dad also said that our chances of surviving was only 10% due to the horrible weather

but luckily, as the storm started to calm down, we managed to get home safely.

my grandaunty kept calling my MUm to check if my Dad and i had arrived

she didnt stop calling until my Mum called her to tell her that my Dad and i made it home.

because of that, until today, i still have this small fear of going onto boats and cruises even on rivers.

** EDIT :: now, to go to my Dad's village, we can actually drive over.. no more transfering boats in the middle of the sea :D **

Edited by jezsiema
  • Brohoof 1

Once, while crossing an approach on my bike, a car hit me.  If the driver had stopped just a little later, he would have ran over my leg and you'd be calling me stumpy.  He wrecked my bike and felt so bad that he bought me a new one and a helmet to boot.

• Brohoof 1

i sat in a fire ant hill when i was about 2 years old, from what my parents told me I was covered in fire ants (the average colony has >5 million ants). I actually did die for about 5 minutes from all the venom. 

As for people i know that were in near death situations, my brother fell out of a 25-30 foot tree and hit every branch, a chair, and a rock on the way down. half of the skin on his face was torn off (at least the top layer) and he had scars everywhere else.

• Brohoof 2