Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Dimensions and Other Wonders...

Stoner Spike

Prepare for a long confusing read.

Well, today, me and my friends were discussing the human understanding of the wonders that we call the dimensions and the brain. Many topics came up, such as time travel and teleportation, thought and other things. Some things were confusing, some were simple, but the main point is I need to discuss this or my thoughts will start to confuse me so much that my eyes will derp.

We all know the five dimensions, don't we?

• The First Dimension
  • The Second Dimension
  • The Third Dimension
  • Time
  • Space
So. We got all into the subjects one at a time. We all know the first dimension is one of three; length, width, or height, although in math it is technically length. First off, what would this dimension look like? Some said it was just a line. I thought the same. But it doesn't seem logical to have a world that is simply a line, does it? We also live within this dimension, as well as the others, but would it be possible to screw with this dimension or step out of the 3D dimension? It wouldn't seem logical if we did, but technology can go so far. What if we went to this dimension on its own? What would happen? Would we still be living in the other dimensions, or would we be a frozen frame in the middle of nothing?

2D is simple to understand. Flat figures. Cartoons and such are drawn in the second dimension. We live partially in it.

The third dimension. This is the dimension we can see, hear, touch, taste, smell...this is the one we majorly live in. This is what we call reality. However, as with the first dimension, technology may go so far as to be able to bend it to fit human necessity. Technically, transferring from one dimension to another would kill you instantly. The only logical way to do so is to use a method similar to that of teleportation or time travel. You'd have to convert your atoms into energy, then reconstruct that energy into atoms in the previous or next dimension. Even then, could you move? Would it be the same as this world?

Time...I can't even find a reasonable explanation for this one. What is time? Sure, you'll by default say something about time measurement, but what is time actually? How does it work? What would happen if you were able to travel to or bend this dimension...? I honestly am confused beyond confusion on this one, someone enlighten me.

Space? Infinite. Black holes. Not much else we know about this dimension. I need some sort of knowledge to even try to say anything on this.

And, we also discussed the mind. You scientists out there may have said something like that thoughts are chemical reactions. 'TIS A LIE. THY BRAIN IS NATURALLY CONSCIOUS AND REQUIRES NOT CHEMICAL COMPONENTS TO PREFORM THE FUNCTION OF A THOUGHT. It can't be explained that easily. It just can't. Also, there was the rumor that by 2020 they will have a computer that is as fast as the brain. Maybe as fast as electric impulses can travel via nerves, but not as fast as the mind. The mind is literally instantaneous. It doesn't go by time, it just happens. You have a thought, and you can't time how fast you have a thought, either, it just comes and goes as quickly as it came. How would any instantaneous technology be possible?

And...what are thoughts? What causes them? How do they happen?

ANSWERS. I NEED THEM.

​TL;DR-GO BACK AND READ OR I SHALL FIND YOU AND PLACE YOU IN THE GUILLOTINE.

Ok, first off, the fifth dimension isn't space. I'm not sure where you got that idea, but it is woefully wrong. The first three dimensions are space. That's what space is, length, width, and depth. We live in all 3 simultaneously, not just the 3rd. The fourth is time, and while we do not live in it, we are able to perceive sections of it. These infintesimal, constantly advancing sections are what is commonly known as "time". To us, it moves in one direction, at generally the same rate. To us, it's direction never changes, nor does it's rate (although since space and time are linked, it is possible to slow and speed up time, but let's not get into that right now ;) )

Not really sure what the fifth is, but it would be a way to go to alternate versions of the same universe, a way to see and go to all the other infinite possibilities of what could've happened in our universe. If one could travel in the fifth dimension, not only could they conceivably go back in time (by moving up out of the fourth and into the fifth, moving back, and dropping back down into the fourth) but also into other "timelines" (by moving up out of the fourth in one timeline, moving back to a choice you made, making a different choice, and living in a different probable universe.)

Also, time isn't that hard to explain, just hard to comprehend. It's all the things that have ever happened and ever will happen in the first three dimensions (space). Wrap your head around that one ;)

Yeah, I think about this kind of stuff in my free time. I consider spending a few hours reading about obscure theoretical and quantum and astro physics stuff to be leisure activity :) same with cryptozoology, though not as much in recent times.

This is the kind of thing that would get me talking: The very thing that would confuse most other people.

First, my take on dimensionality. Simply put, the number of dimensions simply describes how many numbers it takes to describe an object's location is space. A fixed point that pretty much doesn't move is said to have zero dimensions; If it's not somewhere else or can't go anywhere else within its "adimensional" boundaries, it simply doesn't need any numbers to describe its location.

A point in "monodimensionality" can sweep its path in a straight line. Additionally, it has one number to describe its location. This is easily described as the number line from negative infinity to infinity. On top of that, only points and lines can exist in a linear universe.

A point in "bidimensionality" can not only sweep its path in a straight line, but can either sweep its path in a curve, or even have its path sweep its own path. The result of which, respectively, can be a circle and a square. The sentient beings have only length and width, and four directions: Left, right, forward, and backward (or North, South, East, and West, if you're geographically inclined). Points, as well as the points of line segments and various polygons, in this realm are described using two numbers, for there are an infinite number of single-dimensional lines adjacent to one another. You need one number for the point on the line, and another number to label the line you're on. Sound really confusing? It is. Also consider a single-dimensional universe coexisting within this two-dimensional "Flatland". Flatlanders (as Abbott would put it) passing through the one-dimensional world will only appear as line segments, for the Flatlanders are merely a set of infinitely many lines bound together.

What about "tridimensionality"? Simply take all the Flatland analogy and add one more dimension. Three numbers to describe the locations of points and the points of line segments, polygons, and polyhedra. Said polyhedra can only exist as polygons when viewed in a coexisting Flatland. On top of what Flatlanders have, three-dimensional entities also have up and down, as well as height. What Evilshy said about living in three dimensions at once is true: If we're, for example, cubes, all of our points are strewn across three different directions (up, down, left, right, forward, backward), and the locations of which can be described using three numbers. Additionally, we also have height, width, and length.

But before I get into temporal dimensions, let's really break your brains: Tetradimensionality. Yes, on top of our ever-familiar dimension of time (which is strictly temporal and not spatial), there's the idea of four-dimensional entities. Four-dimensionality implies that you have four number describing the location of points and the points of line segments, polygons, polyhedra, and finally, polychora. Up, down, left, right, forward, backward, and two more directions of "ana" and "kata", as well as length, width, height, and "spissitude". Your cross-section is a three-dimensional object, as well as your shadow. You only appear as three dimensional objects when passing through a three-dimensional space. This also implies that there are infinitely many three-dimensional spaces adjacent to each other.

Could such spaces be a single frame in the cosmic movie of time, or could they be a parallel universe?

This is something I do to make the fanfic Cupcakes both happen and not happen at the same time: I add one more dimension. Pentadimensionality. Five dimensions, five numbers, 10 cardinal directions (up, down, left, right, forward, backward, ana, kata, hyper-ana, hyper-kata?), five dimensional measurements (height, length, width, spissitude, hyper-spissitude?), six different entities (points, lines, polygons, polyhedra, polychora, hyper-polychora?).

Why five? Imagine a three-dimensional universe being a sheet of paper in a four-dimensional hyperspace, say, a filing cabinet. That four-dimensional filing cabinet can occupy an infinite number of papers (but for these purposes, let's pretend it's finite). You're a three-dimensional entity living within one of these papers: Pinkie Pie, and for these purposes, also disregard the fact that she's portrayed in two dimensions and that she's actually three-dimensional.

You're now Pinkie Pie, and you have the ability to jump between dimensions (and if the papers in question were different frames of the cosmic movie, this analogy will explain how Pinkie Pie continually breaks the fourth wall), but you want to view all of them at once. How can you if all of those papers are in your way? Simple: Get out of the damn filing cabinet. By getting out of that four-dimensional filing cabinet, you're stepping into another dimension parallel and adjacent to the one you were previously in. You're ascending into a direction perpendicular to all the others you were familiar with. This also gives a sort of bird's-eye-view of every three-dimensional paper-universe occupying the four-dimensional filing cabinet. From the perspective of a sentient five-dimensional entity, it would look like Pinkie Pie is raiding your medical records. (Wut?)

To describe the passage of time, a sixth "temporal" dimension has to be added, and to override it, a seventh. By doing so, I pretty much ballooned what Evilshy has been describing. Why so many dimensions? It's too damn cramped using just five.

How about the possibility of being Flatlanders?. How about being 4-dim entities? Recall the seven-dimensional analogy I had (3D "papers" within a 4D "filing cabinet" within a 5D "office" with a 6D "play button" and a 7D "rewind/pause/fast forward" button), but cramming all of those into one single paper of its own, but instead of being a sort of dimension, it is its own universe. Each universe doesn't necessarily need to have its entities be 3D, but they would each have a temporal dimension, adjacent parallel dimensions, the control buttons, and at least one vantage point. Considering many possibilities, even those that can affect the laws of physics, leads to something called the multiverse, where each paper is now an independent universe and the multiverse is the filing cabinet. Considering all possibilities enters the omniverse. At that point, you're gonna need a bigger filing cabinet.

Fried your brain enough? One time, I banned somepony because were were too big for two-dimensionality, were trapped in three-dimensionality, and are too hyper-thin for four-dimensionality on the Banned forum game, and was consequently banned for confusing somepony else. To a four-dimensional entity, we're as flat as a piece of paper is to us.

Edited by GDO29Anagram

... Wow. I would try to explain all of your questions, but the biggest question I have is...

Who are you friends with?!? German Astrophysicists?!?

Words

More Words

Toothless, no, I'm just part of a group of thinkers. I'm in the seventh grade taking Junior/Senior year classes.

Anagram, son, I'm not confused, I ain't even thinking. Interesting read though. The idea of a 4D world never sounded logical to me, though, because there is only three attributes to dimensions we know of, length, width, and height. If the universe began in front of you and it was a place made up of quadrants, it would have an X, Y, and Z axis, and 8 quadrants. It really doesn't seem logical, because any given point in the whole universe would have a point in those quadrants.

What's your opinion on the brain/mind questions at the bottom?

Evilshy, again, interesting little read. And, since I really didn't know what the fifth dimension was, a friend part of the aforementioned group told me it was space, and since I didn't have a logical argument, I stuck with it. Who's to say that it isn't? ;) What about the last few questions on the brain, technology, and the mind?

Edited by Midnight

I can say that the fifth isn't space because the first three are space. In fact, space is defined as length, width, and depth (or whatever you want to call the first three dimensions).

(text)

I like your idea of dimensions being the number of ways you need to describe where something is, that's a good way of explaining it. Although, I don't see where get your idea of the fourth and fifth: do we not only technically require five dimensions to exist? The first three to describe our location in space, a fourth to describe our location in time, and a fifth to describe which "timeline" we exist in? Yes, I suppose more would be required, but what is all this extra directions and stuff you're talking about? As I understand it "spissitude" is like a fourth dimension where your soul is, or something? Personally, I don't think souls exist, but the only way I can think of to PROVE they don't would be to create an atom-by-atom perfect replica of a person (which is so near impossible with current technology, here's no point in trying), and studying their behavior. If they act the same (with some amount of variance allowed due to different stimuli, and to account for the fact that a person might not always react to certain stimuli the same way) then one could conclude that the "higher" functions of the brain (like personality and complex emotions and stuff) are completely products of chemical reactions in the brain, as you say Midnight. Or that the "soul" is somehow already a part of us in a physical sense (ie that it was created in a biological way) which would mean the same thing.

On the mind thing... Why not? How can you tell that your thoughts are instant or not? If they are carried by eletrical impulses, then they are traveling at the speed of light, and we can't differentiate between the speed of light and instant transmission, except when dealing with incredible distances.

Also, consider this: how do you know a thought is instant, since you can't think of a thought before you think it, and therefore there is no way to measure such delay anyway.

Another way to explain it: a car you've never seen before drives and stops in front of your house. You can't know how long it took to get to your house because you don't know when and where it left from. In fact, you didn't even know about that car until you saw it pull into your driveway.

Basically, I see the mind as an unimaginably complex computer. Not only does it have more connections than any modern technology, it builds and maintains itself. It's constantly changing based on it's input. Parts of it are constantly dying and being rebuilt. It's constantly cleaning itself. We barely know anything about how the brain really works other than it's one of the most complex things ever. How can you say for sure that it can't do what it seems to be doing?

Edited by Evilshy

On the mind thing... Why not? How can you tell that your thoughts are instant or not? If they are carried by eletrical impulses, then they are traveling at the speed of light, and we can't differentiate between the speed of light and instant transmission, except when dealing with incredible distances.

Also, consider this: how do you know a thought is instant, since you can't think of a thought before you think it, and therefore there is no way to measure such delay anyway.

My point exactly, you can't think a thought before you think it, and you can't measure the delay, because it happens instantly. Like, for example, if you think "I want a taco", it just comes to you at a random moment, and the whole thought comes in at one time, meaning that there is no unit of time to measure it. A machine can't reach this speed, because machines run on power, and power can only run so fast. Even if power traveled at the speed of light, it would still be unable to compare to the speed of the mind; 0.000 seconds...only the mind can go at that speed, and even if a machine had a human brain within it, it's still a machine and it will always be slower than the mind. The brain would do the instantaneous things, not the machine, meaning the tech is still slower than thought.

actually you can measure the speed of thought...

also scientists measured the amount of time you need for motor impulses. the speed of thought is not 0.000 seconds fastest reaction time is 100 milliseconds average is 250 milliseconds, speed of thought is even slower than that,

Edited by glitterlicious

actually you can measure the speed of thought...

also scientists measured the amount of time you need for motor impulses. the speed of thought is not 0.000 seconds fastest reaction time is 100 milliseconds average is 250 milliseconds, speed of thought is even slower than that,

Not motor impulses. Motor impulses run your nervous system, not thoughts. Thoughts are instantaneous. Motor impulses and thoughts are two different things.

If there is a method to measure the speed of thoughts accurately, tell us how?

Not motor impulses. Motor impulses run your nervous system, not thoughts. Thoughts are instantaneous. Motor impulses and thoughts are two different things.

If there is a method to measure the speed of thoughts accurately, tell us how?

no, thoughts are not instantaneous, but much faster than a computer, because brains are setup much more differently than a computer. Not currently available is a device to measure the timing accurately. You could compute the average speed rather easily though,

no, thoughts are not instantaneous, but much faster than a computer, because brains are setup much more differently than a computer. Not currently available is a device to measure the timing accurately. You could compute the average speed rather easily though,

Then tell me, exactly, how do you find the average speed? From what I can tell, thoughts don't come bit by bit, they come as a whole thought, and if the whole thought is thought of simultaneously, then it's only logical to say that they are instantaneous.

Then tell me, exactly, how do you find the average speed? From what I can tell, thoughts don't come bit by bit, they come as a whole thought, and if the whole thought is thought of simultaneously, then it's only logical to say that they are instantaneous.

nearly instantaneous,

average speed (words per hour)=amount of thoughts in an hour/2000

nearly instantaneous,

average speed (words per hour)=amount of thoughts in an hour/2000

I mean the calculations. And did you, by any means, take this into account?

From what I can tell, thoughts don't come bit by bit, they come as a whole thought, and if the whole thought is thought of simultaneously, then it's only logical to say that they are instantaneous.

Prepare for a long confusing read.

Well, today, me and my friends were discussing the human understanding of the wonders that we call the dimensions and the brain. Many topics came up, such as time travel and teleportation, thought and other things. Some things were confusing, some were simple, but the main point is I need to discuss this or my thoughts will start to confuse me so much that my eyes will derp.

We all know the five dimensions, don't we?

• The First Dimension
  • The Second Dimension
  • The Third Dimension
  • Time
  • Space
So. We got all into the subjects one at a time. We all know the first dimension is one of three; length, width, or height, although in math it is technically length. First off, what would this dimension look like? Some said it was just a line. I thought the same. But it doesn't seem logical to have a world that is simply a line, does it? We also live within this dimension, as well as the others, but would it be possible to screw with this dimension or step out of the 3D dimension? It wouldn't seem logical if we did, but technology can go so far. What if we went to this dimension on its own? What would happen? Would we still be living in the other dimensions, or would we be a frozen frame in the middle of nothing?

2D is simple to understand. Flat figures. Cartoons and such are drawn in the second dimension. We live partially in it.

The third dimension. This is the dimension we can see, hear, touch, taste, smell...this is the one we majorly live in. This is what we call reality. However, as with the first dimension, technology may go so far as to be able to bend it to fit human necessity. Technically, transferring from one dimension to another would kill you instantly. The only logical way to do so is to use a method similar to that of teleportation or time travel. You'd have to convert your atoms into energy, then reconstruct that energy into atoms in the previous or next dimension. Even then, could you move? Would it be the same as this world?

Time...I can't even find a reasonable explanation for this one. What is time? Sure, you'll by default say something about time measurement, but what is time actually? How does it work? What would happen if you were able to travel to or bend this dimension...? I honestly am confused beyond confusion on this one, someone enlighten me.

Space? Infinite. Black holes. Not much else we know about this dimension. I need some sort of knowledge to even try to say anything on this.

And, we also discussed the mind. You scientists out there may have said something like that thoughts are chemical reactions. 'TIS A LIE. THY BRAIN IS NATURALLY CONSCIOUS AND REQUIRES NOT CHEMICAL COMPONENTS TO PREFORM THE FUNCTION OF A THOUGHT. It can't be explained that easily. It just can't. Also, there was the rumor that by 2020 they will have a computer that is as fast as the brain. Maybe as fast as electric impulses can travel via nerves, but not as fast as the mind. The mind is literally instantaneous. It doesn't go by time, it just happens. You have a thought, and you can't time how fast you have a thought, either, it just comes and goes as quickly as it came. How would any instantaneous technology be possible?

And...what are thoughts? What causes them? How do they happen?

ANSWERS. I NEED THEM.

​TL;DR-GO BACK AND READ OR I SHALL FIND YOU AND PLACE YOU IN THE GUILLOTINE.

Relevant (again)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY_ZgAvXsuw

• Brohoof 1

My point exactly, you can't think a thought before you think it, and you can't measure the delay, because it happens instantly. Like, for example, if you think "I want a taco", it just comes to you at a random moment, and the whole thought comes in at one time, meaning that there is no unit of time to measure it. A machine can't reach this speed, because machines run on power, and power can only run so fast. Even if power traveled at the speed of light, it would still be unable to compare to the speed of the mind; 0.000 seconds...only the mind can go at that speed, and even if a machine had a human brain within it, it's still a machine and it will always be slower than the mind. The brain would do the instantaneous things, not the machine, meaning the tech is still slower than thought.

Where does the thought come from? A thought cannot come out of nowhere, there are things that combine and connect to form a thought. In the case of the taco thought, you might subconsciously think about how you were hungry and how you like tacos, and these would coalesce into "I want a taco". This cannot happen instantly, because the brain works with electrical impulses, which travel at the speed of light; pretty damn fast, but not instant.

In any case, nothing can move through space faster than the speed of light.

nothing can move through space faster than the speed of light.

Posted Image

Aha, but that's the process of multiple thoughts. The time between the thoughts can be measured, but one thought comes in all at once. Taking into account your example, the thought of "I'm hungry" would come on it's own. It wouldn't come bit by bit, it would come in all at once, right? You wouldn't think "I'm" in one second and then "Hungry" in the next. You think "I'm hungry" and that's that, it comes all in one piece. Because of that, it is technically instantaneous.

You forgot zero dimensions, which is a single point. Time and space are interconnected, by the way. If you manage to rip a hole in space, you are also ripping a hole in time. You would need Celestia as your witness if you'd hope to achieve THAT, though.

Posted Image

Aha, but that's the process of multiple thoughts. The time between the thoughts can be measured, but one thought comes in all at once. Taking into account your example, the thought of "I'm hungry" would come on it's own. It wouldn't come bit by bit, it would come in all at once, right? You wouldn't think "I'm" in one second and then "Hungry" in the next. You think "I'm hungry" and that's that, it comes all in one piece. Because of that, it is technically instantaneous.

The verbal aspect..."I'm hungry" would be as fast as it would take to say I'm hungry out loud in real life (assuming your internal voice is the same as your external one.)

The feeling of hungry would be considered background noise and would be a continous stream of hunger feelings...which could run simultaneously in the background as you think of the words "I'm hungry".

Both have a definite start and end time, though its hard to measure it precisely.

Posted Image

Ok, that is a good point. I chose m example poorly. What I am trying to get at is, you can't tell that you've had a particular though until you've had it, so there is no way to determine when the thought began to be formed, and therefore no way to determine how long it took. Yes, it could be instantaneous, but seeing as thoughts are carried by brainwaves, which are electrical impulses, which travel at the speed of light. The speed of light is the speed limit of space; this has been proven by experiment:

If you launch a projectile from point A, you can measure how long it takes to reach point B. If it is launched from a moving platform at point A, such as a car, the speed of the car will be added to the speed of the launch. So if the car was moving at 30 mph and the projectile was launched at 20, it will be going 50 mph (not calculating wind resistance and other stuff like that.)

If you repeat the same experiment with light instead of a projectile, you will get some unexpected results; the light will be going at exactly the same speed when emitted from a moving platform as it does from a stationary one. It can't go any faster, the speed of light is effectively the speed limit of space. There are ways around it; for instance, space itself can stretch and compact faster than the speed of light. If you could stretch space between you and your departure point and compress space between you and your destination, you could conceivably "travel" faster than light. Since space itself is being manipulated, you wouldn't even technically be moving at all. Instead of movin from point A to point B, you would be moving point A away from yourself and point B towards yourself.

Ok, that is a good point. I chose m example poorly. What I am trying to get at is, you can't tell that you've had a particular though until you've had it, so there is no way to determine when the thought began to be formed, and therefore no way to determine how long it took. Yes, it could be instantaneous, but seeing as thoughts are carried by brainwaves, which are electrical impulses, which travel at the speed of light. The speed of light is the speed limit of space; this has been proven by experiment:

If you launch a projectile from point A, you can measure how long it takes to reach point B. If it is launched from a moving platform at point A, such as a car, the speed of the car will be added to the speed of the launch. So if the car was moving at 30 mph and the projectile was launched at 20, it will be going 50 mph (not calculating wind resistance and other stuff like that.)

If you repeat the same experiment with light instead of a projectile, you will get some unexpected results; the light will be going at exactly the same speed when emitted from a moving platform as it does from a stationary one. It can't go any faster, the speed of light is effectively the speed limit of space. There are ways around it; for instance, space itself can stretch and compact faster than the speed of light. If you could stretch space between you and your departure point and compress space between you and your destination, you could conceivably "travel" faster than light. Since space itself is being manipulated, you wouldn't even technically be moving at all. Instead of movin from point A to point B, you would be moving point A away from yourself and point B towards yourself.

Posted Image'

A picture is worth a thousand words, after all.

Eh, Evilshy, I'm all out of arguments. You and glitter win. ;)

Well, at least the subject has been cleared up for me. Gracias. :)

• Brohoof 1