Flow

62 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I didn't read the entire thread so I'm unsure if this was already posted but, is "Cranky Doodle Donkey" some kind of reference to "Yankee Doodle Dandy"?

with his arrival to town and fancy toupee i'd say that's an easy yes lol, add the end tune and end credits tune for more concrete evidence

yep, he went to town, got a fancy toupee (ie hat, and for the time of "yankee doodle dandy" the hat being called macaroni was a reference to how fancy italians were thought of at the time) then the ending bits

• Brohoof 1

Upon further review, I think this episode just may be my favorite of season 2 thus far. There was just too much goodness jam packed in this episode. The animation was awesome, that felt scene, DAT SONG, and CDD being a gruffy, yet endearing badass (pun intended). At first I was mildly amused by Smile, Smile, Smile, but the more I hear it the more I'm loving it.

• Brohoof 1

she's 5'4" 130lb mother of three texan boys, chuck norris is her bitch.

Chuck Norris is overrated. LOL

Anyway, I don't know spit about animation, so I can't express any appreciation for the "experiments" mentioned in other posts.

I did, however, utterly adore the metaphorical parts of the song, as I'm a fond lover of such imagery myself. The "brightening" of the reading pony's day by bending down that tree, turning Appleblom's frown "upside-down" (even though she was already smiling when she started to spin XD). And particularly the one where a part of Pinkie pulls the other out of that chasm.

EDIT: I forgot about the clip's end, when everypony pressed shoulders, singing and swaying together. That was one powerful scene, one that made me choke back (stallionly) tears.

Speaking of donkeys, I felt funny when I heard Matilda say "everypony" when she's a donkey.

And ROTFL "Cranky Doodle Joy". Both donkeys:"Pinkie!" PP: "Oops, privacy. Sorry!"

Edited by Derpth Fader the Ponith

Is it just me, or does it seem like the ending was not as good as the rest of the episode. I mean, pinkie pie knows everpony(and everycow, everydonkey, ect.) so her knowing matilda makes sense. However, what doesnt make sense is that cranky, who met her at the grand galloping gala, searched all over equestria, for what I assume is several decades, and never once thought to look in ponyville, one of the closest cities to canterlot? Also, he just happens to decide to retire and settle in a town that he has apparently never been to, otherwise he would have found matilda. All Im saying is that it seemed kinda sketchy to me. Or I could just be being way to overcritical. Who knows. Regardless of this, this is definitly not only one of my favorite episodes of season 2 but also of the whole show.

I thought the song was great, when it came to the animation and all the goofy things Pinkie did. When it comes to the song, I still liked the grand galloping gala and the pet song better (in my opinion )

I warmed up to "Smile. Smile, Smile" pretty quickly (Ingram's deft use of the mandolin is a cheap and easy way to earn my affection).

And despite my belief when I first started watching the show almost a year ago that I would never like Pinkie Pie as a character, I've really warmed up to her as the seasons have gone on, and after Party of One (featuring "Pinkamena"), any last shred of not liking Pinkie dissolved forever.

I'm with you on the song preferences. When I heard the first few bars of "Find a Pet", I rolled my eyes expecting something silly. And yes, it's a somewhat silly song, but is now one of my favorites (along with the episode -- Dashie for the win!), and I'm having a devil of a time getting out of my head. Probably because I don't want to.

And of course "At the Gala" is just plain epic -- and a great set-up for what comes next in that episode. :angry:

• Brohoof 2

One of the best songs in the whole show so far! Always cheers me right up.

Thanks for typing for me!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is one of those episodes in which there is a story that fits into the 22 minute segment, and a much bigger story behind the story that we just have to speculate on.

Many questions come to mind. What was in the note that Cranky didn't see? What was the explanation for Matilda's disappearance? Why couldn't Cranky find her? How long had he been looking? What led Matilda to go to Ponyville in hopes that he would find her there?

It is implied that after meeting at the Gala, Matilda had to leave suddenly, and left a note for Cranky telling him where she was going. But what happened? Why didn't she tell him in person? Was she ashamed of something, or hiding something? Was there someone else in her life, or a criminal past? Or was it simply an emergency and she didn't have time to say anything before leaving?

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw this episode for the first time and I must say, it was my favorite so far. Pinkie pie is just so amazing, it makes me wish that I had a friend like her.

• 1 month later...

I have about ten more episodes of Season 2 left to see, and I'm going through them now. I just saw this one and I love it! The song is so cute, and they took an interesting direction with the lesson behind the story. I thought for sure they were going to say that sometimes, it's just impossible to make friends with someone... instead, they went with the lighter side of that: you shouldn't make it impossible for others to befriend you! Very original, I think. ^_^

• 1 month later...

A lot of people don’t like this episode because of the way Pinkie harasses Cranky, but in my opinion the amount of humor and the epic song more than make up for that and place it at 18th place on my list of favorite episodes:

*Pinkie making the Cake twins laugh

*Smile Smile Smile

*Pinkie’s welcome wagon

*Pinkie putting cake in the confetti cannon and confetti in the oven

*”This donkey is really really bald”

*The new wig that looks just like Steven Magnet’s hair

*Pinkie being completely oblivious to how annoyed Cranky is with her

*Seeing Rainbow reading again

*Pinkie chasing Cranky all over the map

*Pinkie blasting off like a rocket when Cranky accepts her friendship

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of people don’t like this episode because of the way Pinkie harasses Cranky, but in my opinion the amount of humor and the epic song more than make up for that and place it at 18th place on my list of favorite episodes:

*Pinkie making the Cake twins laugh

*Smile Smile Smile

*Pinkie’s welcome wagon

*Pinkie putting cake in the confetti cannon and confetti in the oven

*”This donkey is really really bald”

*The new wig that looks just like Steven Magnet’s hair

*Pinkie being completely oblivious to how annoyed Cranky is with her

*Seeing Rainbow reading again

*Pinkie chasing Cranky all over the map

*Pinkie blasting off like a rocket when Cranky accepts her friendship

I love this episode for pretty much all these reasons.

I remember when I first heard "Smile Smile Smile" I thought it was really cheesy, and didn't like it that much. Now I can't stop singing it. I absolutely love this song, I tear up on the "There is one thing that makes me happy, and my whole life worthwhile." part. ;_;

"This donkey is really really bald" is probably my favorite part. Seeing Dashie reading again was pretty cool too.

Edited by Squeaker101

Ahhh the episode where the song that brought me into the herd came from. Oh Smile song you will always have a special place with me.

NOW EVERYPONY LET'S ALL SMILE! :):D:P

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using my 1000th post on one of my favorite episodes of all time.

It has one of my favorite songs,

my favorite pony is the star,

the humor is perfect.

I love this episode, and it truly shows how awesome the staff are.

And Derpy in the snow globe, that was awesome too.

Hopefully, Pinkie episodes are more like this one. :wub:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...